HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

It's time to find a future #1 Goalie

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2003, 08:17 PM
elphy101

vCash: 500
It's time to find a future #1 Goalie

I am really starting to question the decision to have Salo as our #1 Goalie. The Oilers are concentrating on developing youth and building for post CBA times and yet they are still going with a goalie that could be a UFA after this season. (Is he worth the team option at over 4 Million for next year?)

Salo is not and has not won games for the Oilers in over a year. Last year and now this year, Salo ranks near the bottom of the league in both GAA and Save Percentage. In both last year and the beginning of this year, Salo's backups have posted better numbers.

I say let's trade Salo for whatever we can get. Then acquire a young goalie like Mika Noronen. Have Noronen and Conklin rotate until one of them grabs the job by the horns. What do we have to lose? Could Noronen and Conklin's play be that much worse than Salo's?

Old
10-23-2003, 08:29 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
I assume you are suggesting trading Comrie to Buffalo in some sort of a swap for Noronen and then trading Salo to someone else for a replacement for Comrie?

I am a fence sitter on this right now... not sure if Noronen's the right guy, not sure I want to give up on Tommy after only 6 games... but I think the thought of two trades is the right idea. I also don't want to bury Deslauriers... we only need a goalie for 2-3 more years until he's ready (or until he's proven not to be ready).

Old
10-23-2003, 08:29 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
I am really starting to question the decision to have Salo as our #1 Goalie. The Oilers are concentrating on developing youth and building for post CBA times and yet they are still going with a goalie that could be a UFA after this season. (Is he worth the team option at over 4 Million for next year?)

Salo is not and has not won games for the Oilers in over a year. Last year and now this year, Salo ranks near the bottom of the league in both GAA and Save Percentage. In both last year and the beginning of this year, Salo's backups have posted better numbers.

I say let's trade Salo for whatever we can get. Then acquire a young goalie like Mika Noronen. Have Noronen and Conklin rotate until one of them grabs the job by the horns. What do we have to lose? Could Noronen and Conklin's play be that much worse than Salo's?
Well it seems simple, but it isn't. Trading Salo first off for a usuable asset wouldn't be easy. I wouldn't want to see the Oilers make deals that would see us with a Noronen/Conklin duo instead of what we have unless we were able to improve our team with it!

Old
10-23-2003, 08:30 PM
windowlicker

Great, let's substitute the main vet on this VERY YOUNG AND INEXPERIENCED team with another YOUNG AND INEXPERIENCED player, this time in a position not really considered that important to a hockey team, the goaltender.

brilliant move.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:31 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
Great, let's substitute the main vet on this VERY YOUNG AND INEXPERIENCED team with another YOUNG AND INEXPERIENCED player, this time in a position not really considered that important to a hockey team, the goaltender.

brilliant move.
POW!

Old
10-23-2003, 08:35 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:

brilliant move.
... which is largely why I'm not sure Noronen's the right guy too.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:38 PM
FacelessButcher

I am kind of fond of Gerber not sure if he is no.1 or just an exceptional back-up but he is 29 and played a lot internationally by the time Deslauriers is ready Gerber would be 32 or 33 and about ready to move on. I think the Ducks prospect goalie Bryzgalov is quite close to back-up capable just a thought.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:40 PM
Mizral

Jani Hurme would be ideal.

Problem is, Salo is becoming virtually unmovable with every passing day.

Old
speeds

Honestly, what useful experience do you get from Salo?

His Gold medal from 10 years ago? If "experience" that long ago is so important EDM might just as well have Kirk McLean in the pipes.

Old
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Well Cujo SHOULD end up in either with the NYR or the blues. If he ends up with the Blues, I wouldn't be disapointed to see us trade for Osgood if some of his salary is eaten.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:47 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Well Cujo SHOULD end up in either with the NYR or the blues. If he ends up with the Blues, I wouldn't be disapointed to see us trade for Osgood if some of his salary is eaten.
Osgood has a minor hip-flexor injury at the moment and I would probably look elsewhere I rather have Biron-or-Noronen than Osgood, Biron and Noronen are cheaper and probably be easier to grab.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:47 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
I am kind of fond of Gerber not sure if he is no.1 or just an exceptional back-up but he is 29 and played a lot internationally by the time Deslauriers is ready Gerber would be 32 or 33 and about ready to move on. I think the Ducks prospect goalie Bryzgalov is quite close to back-up capable just a thought.
money-wise, sure, but your switching a 29 year old Swiss goalie with international experience and 22 NHL games under his belt from a 33 year old Swedish goalie with alot of international exp and 483 NHL games played. Rememer the fun we had when we went into a season without a true #1? The Shtalenkov/Essensa jaggernaut is still fresh in my mind.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:49 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Jani Hurme would be ideal.

Problem is, Salo is becoming virtually unmovable with every passing day.
Hurme would be ideal based on what??

Old
10-23-2003, 08:52 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
His Gold medal from 10 years ago? If "experience" that long ago is so important EDM might just as well have Kirk McLean in the pipes.
LOL!!!

I'm cautiously sorta defending Salo, because I don't have any better ideas right now.........but when I read that sentence I nearly blew out a rib-cage.

It makes you think too.

I'm not being sarcastic......that was damn funny. Keep it coming speeds....

Old
10-23-2003, 09:03 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Hurme would be ideal based on what??
He's a veteran goaltender who's proven to be actually fairly clutch. He's also cheap.

If the Oilers could somehow move out Salo and pick up Hurme, I'd say they'd be much, much, *much* better off.

Old
10-23-2003, 09:08 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
He's a veteran goaltender who's proven to be actually fairly clutch. He's also cheap.

If the Oilers could somehow move out Salo and pick up Hurme, I'd say they'd be much, much, *much* better off.
I think Hurme is a downgrade goaltending wise but the extra dough we could use to buy a defender might be worth it.hmmm...nah its not worth it.next offer

Old
10-23-2003, 09:09 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Marty Biron, Jani Hurme. Give me either, and there are a few others that I'm sure have already been mentioned. Biron would be the best choice for this team I think.

Old
10-23-2003, 09:10 PM
Asiaoil

If I say it enough times - maybe it will sink in.........

Comrie for Blackburn

Old
10-23-2003, 09:11 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
not sure I want to give up on Tommy after only 6 games
I don't think it's only been 6 games. He struggled most of last year as well.

Quote:
I am a fence sitter on this right now... not sure if Noronen's the right guy,
Noronen was just my example. It doesn't have to be him, just some young goalie(Hurme, Biron, Noronen, Miller, Emery). Whoever the Oiler's scouting staff believes in.

I personally think Noronen is ready to become top notch NHL goalie if given the oppurtunity. That is just my opinion though and it's not based on anything too concrete.

Quote:
I also don't want to bury Deslauriers... we only need a goalie for 2-3 more years until he's ready (or until he's proven not to be ready).
I agree with you, that Deslauriers is the goalie of the future. But is having two #1's really that bad. Young goalies can always be traded.

Would it be that bad if Conklin or Noronen became a solid/great #1. Deslauriers could have a year or two to start in the AHL. Then if the Oilers decide he is their future tender. Would it really be that hard to trade their current young #1 (Noronen or Conklin).

Old
10-23-2003, 09:18 PM
hockeyaddict101

And would blackburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
If I say it enough times - maybe it will sink in.........

Comrie for Blackburn
Or plante, Roy, Cloutier helped us tonight. Nope.

Goaltending was not the problem tonight and far too often it wasn't the problem last year either.

The Oilers are giving up far too many six star chances and unless that problem is rectified I don't really care what goaltender we have it is not going to matter.

Looking as save percentage and goals against is fine but they are not a fair barometer on a night when the Oilers were downright awful defensively.

Conklin could have stayed in and the score would have been 5-1, maybe 6-1 as Salo made one remarkable save where he flew across the crease and somehow got a toe on it.

Anybody that actually things goaltending was a problem tonight either wasn't watching the game, doesn't understand the game or wants an easy person to blame (scapegoat)

Yes he was weak the other night but the Oilers also self-collapsed as they did tonight. We have bigger problems than Salo and that has been painfully obvious in the last two games.

But I also believe we arent as bad as we were the first two games and we aren't as good as we looked against Colorado or San Jose. The truth is somewhere in the middle and I certainly didn't overreact when we lose either.

Old
10-23-2003, 09:22 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
Honestly, what useful experience do you get from Salo?

I was going to post something similar, but you beat me to it and said it more eloquently.

This is what I know: With us losing 2-1 and the game still very much in the balance, Salo comes in at a pivotal time. At a time when his team absolutely NEEDS their highest paid player to stand tall and give them a chance...

...he lets in a soft goal. And the rout was on.

The goals he let in after were very much a result of poor defensive play around him, little doubt of that. With him it's not so much the number of goals, it's the timing.

I believe the average salary for an NHL goaltender is about 2 million/yr. Salo's making close to double that, which makes his very average play that much harder to stomach.

He's not the disease, but he's definitely one of the symptoms.

Old
10-23-2003, 09:25 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44

The Oilers are giving up far too many six star chances and unless that problem is rectified I don't really care what goaltender we have it is not going to matter.

Anybody that actually things goaltending was a problem tonight either wasn't watching the game, doesn't understand the game or wants an easy person to blame (scapegoat)
I would agree with the statement "Tommy Salo was not the reason, the Oilers lost tonight".

However, when was the last time that you could say "Tommy Salo was the reason, the Oiler's won tonight"?

I am hard pressed to find even a few games over the course of last season and the start of this season. Where I could say that Tommy Salo was the reason the Oilers won the game. Good number one goalies are supposed to do that!!!!

Old
10-23-2003, 09:27 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12

I was going to post something similar, but you beat me to it and said it more eloquently.

This is what I know: With us losing 2-1 and the game still very much in the balance, Salo comes in at a pivotal time. At a time when his team absolutely NEEDS their highest paid player to stand tall and give them a chance...

...he lets in a soft goal. And the rout was on.

The goals he let in after were very much a result of poor defensive play around him, little doubt of that. With him it's not so much the number of goals, it's the timing.

I believe the average salary for an NHL goaltender is about 2 million/yr. Salo's making close to double that, which makes his very average play that much harder to stomach.

He's not the disease, but he's definitely one of the symptoms.
Firstly he came off cold from the bench facing a five minute powerplay, and if a powerplay goal and a 3-1 game was enough to make this team self-destruct then what does that say about the rest of the team?

Again easy scapegoat!! I noticed the first two goals weren't Conklins fault. Maybe if he saves that second goal the Oilers don't lose tonight. Because the Oilers had just been scored on and they needed a big save from him so they didn't go down two goals, it's all in the timing.

Doesn't the above sound silly, it sounds just as silly when people try to say the game was over at 3-1..

If they all gave up in a 3-1 game then this is going to be a long season, no matter who the hell is in goal!!!

Old
10-23-2003, 09:28 PM
windowlicker

If you guys are comfortable having Hurme, Biron, Emery, Noronen, Miller, play 65+ games for us, then more power to you. The five of them have 324 games between them. The only thing so far they have proven is that they are skilled goalies. Id like to see them after a 70+ game season(Biron has done that once)

Old
10-23-2003, 09:30 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
If you guys are comfortable having Hurme, Biron, Emery, Noronen, Miller, play 65+ games for us, then more power to you. The five of them have 324 games between them. The only thing so far they have proven is that they are skilled goalies. Id like to see them after a 70+ game season(Biron has done that once)
Biron let in two weak goals and was chased out of his net a few nights ago right here in Edmonton.

But yes he is a huge improvement over Salo

Closed Thread