HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

It's time to find a future #1 Goalie

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2003, 09:31 PM
windowlicker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
....Where I could say that Tommy Salo was the reason the Oilers won the game. Good number one goalies are supposed to do that!!!!
On a good team, yes.
When you have to rely ALOT on your goaltending to win games, you have a problem.

Old
10-23-2003, 09:41 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
If these goalies are available are there interest in one of Dwayne Roloson/Manny Fernadez? or Evegeni Nabokov....how about this deal...Nabokov and Marleau for Salo, Comrie, and a third rounder?.....dont know if Sharks wants a goalie though because they already have Kiprusof and Toskala<sp?

Old
10-23-2003, 09:44 PM
dem

I dont think theres a team in the league that would want Salo right now. Is this the last year on his contract? I cant wait till he is off the team.

I hate how the team coddles the guy. Kevin Lowe called out three players... and not one of them was Salo?? They named Salo the team MVP after his worst season in Edmonton?? Its like some sick joke. He needs to step up and steal a game (when was the last time he did that??) or get outa Edmonton. Theres no room on the Oilers for a 4 million dollar player who sucks.

Old
10-23-2003, 09:44 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic
If these goalies are available are there interest in one of Dwayne Roloson/Manny Fernadez? or Evegeni Nabokov....how about this deal...Nabokov and Marleau for Salo, Comrie, and a third rounder?.....dont know if Sharks wants a goalie though because they already have Kiprusof and Toskala<sp?
hadn't thought about Roloson or Manny both of them would be pretty interesting can't think of what Lemaire would want from us though?

Old
10-23-2003, 09:50 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Firstly he came off cold from the bench facing a five minute powerplay, and if a powerplay goal and a 3-1 game was enough to make this team self-destruct then what does that say about the rest of the team?

Again easy scapegoat!! I noticed the first two goals weren't Conklins fault. Maybe if he saves that second goal the Oilers don't lose tonight. Because the Oilers had just been scored on and they needed a big save from him so they didn't go down two goals, it's all in the timing.

Doesn't the above sound silly, it sounds just as silly when people try to say the game was over at 3-1..

If they all gave up in a 3-1 game then this is going to be a long season, no matter who the hell is in goal!!!
Whoa spaz, chill out before you have a heart attack...

If I was looking for a scapegoat, I would've called Salo the disease instead of merely a symptom of the overall malaise this organization is suffering from.

I ask you this: Judging by how Salo has performed in the last year and change, would you be comfortable if the Oilers picked up the option on his contract? I'm not sure I would.

Maybe you didn't think the game was over at 3-1, but the Oilers sure played like they thought it was. Why? That's MacT's and Lowe's job to figure out.

Old
10-23-2003, 10:00 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Biron let in two weak goals and was chased out of his net a few nights ago right here in Edmonton.

But yes he is a huge improvement over Salo
I'm not saying Biron or Noronen would be a huge improvement over Salo.

My question is whether or not Salo is a huge improvement over Biron or Noronen. In my opinion, he's not.

If Salo is not a huge improvement. Why not go for the younger goalie that has plenty of upside? I don't think the team loses much if anything in the short-term and they would make huge gains long-term.

Closed Thread