HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Theo played last year with a slightly torn ACL

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2003, 08:48 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Theo played last year with a slightly torn ACL

This is what Joe Micheletti of the Islanders play-by-play crew said.

Theo looked lightning fast out there tonight. Micheletti also said Theo is the fastest in the league laterally.

Old
10-23-2003, 09:03 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Ya he is an idiot, partially torn acl. OK put it this way, Koivu sprained his ACL, he isn't back yet, I walked with a cain when I severely sprained mine. Let the comentator stick to reading the names of the back of the jerseys.

Old
10-23-2003, 09:35 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
Ya he is an idiot, partially torn acl. OK put it this way, Koivu sprained his ACL, he isn't back yet, I walked with a cain when I severely sprained mine. Let the comentator stick to reading the names of the back of the jerseys.
Although Theo playing with a knee injury last year is hardly new news, correct me if I am wrong, (others help), Theodore did play with a sprained ligament, ACL or MCL I am not sure, and TECHNICALLY a sprain involves a slight tear, at least that is from my understanding. Frankly I might be in left field. So if my understanding is correct, in fact the Islander commentator is correct in saying Theodore played with a partially torn ACL. Warning, I may be wrong completely.

Old
10-23-2003, 10:18 PM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
Although Theo playing with a knee injury last year is hardly new news, correct me if I am wrong, (others help), Theodore did play with a sprained ligament, ACL or MCL I am not sure, and TECHNICALLY a sprain involves a slight tear, at least that is from my understanding. Frankly I might be in left field. So if my understanding is correct, in fact the Islander commentator is correct in saying Theodore played with a partially torn ACL. Warning, I may be wrong completely.
I might also be wrong ... but I'm 75 % sure he played with a groin injury.

Old
10-24-2003, 05:04 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Ligaments never heal. When you sprain one, it is a like a strain on a ligament, like when you workout hard, and you feel that pain after you workout, something to that degree. When you partially tear something, you have to get surgery, because the body doesn't heal tears within ligaments. I have had a lot of problems with my knees, so I feel I know what I am talking about, but I am not a doctor, and they would know a lot more about this then me.

Old
10-24-2003, 11:35 AM
tinyzombies

That's exactly the language that Micheletti used... a slight tear in his ACL.

Old
10-24-2003, 11:44 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
That's exactly the language that Micheletti used... a slight tear in his ACL.
If that's the case there's no way a goalie could play having to make all those lateral movements. A partial tear would have turned into a full tear in no time. I'm currently down with a partial miniscus tear
"fragmented cartilage" and it required surgery and 4 to 8 weeks of healing time. I could hardly walk before the surgery. No way he played with any type of partial tear. Like others said I'm no Doctor but I speak from current experience and pain!

Old
10-24-2003, 11:47 AM
Guy!

Some ligaments heal, others do not (or do so at an extremely slow pace).

If someone says they have a sprain, 99% of the time it means a first degree tear, which is micro-tearing in the ligament. There is some swelling, and it takes a little while for the pain to go away as the ligament heals itself. A second degree tear is a measurable tear, anything from barely torn but visible to hanging by a thread. They do heal by themselves as well, but in pro athletes, they generally knit them together surgically if the tear is drastic enough. A third degree tear is a complete tear where you have to go in and reattach; it can't heal on it's own.

When a ligament tears, no it can never be the same again, however in the healing process, you do get an interesting trade-off - the ligament becomes more rubbery. That means you can stretch it and get micro-tears far more easily, but it also means you are less likely to do more sigificant damage.

I've had two second and two first degree tears in one particular ligament in my ankle. I've never had surgery, but I wear a brace during any athletic activity because the ankle isn't strong enough anymore to support me in radical moves. When I do sprain it now, though, it's usually just a large yank on an old rubber band that takes a while to heal.

As for feeling pain when you work out, if you still feel pain, it's because it still hasn't healed properly. You can feel pain for months and even years later, but eventually the pain will go away. My knee was second degree seven years ago, but now it's fine.

Theo could quite easily have played with a first and even mild second-degree tear, though I would submit to you that, had it been the latter, the doctor's would have told him no way - there's too much chance to make it worse.

All this as explained to me by a doctor.

A concerned fan.

Old
10-24-2003, 12:11 PM
Corey

Guy's explanation is correct, but I believe it was Théo's MCL, not ACL.

Old
10-24-2003, 02:03 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Last year, we heard Numerous times the main problem of Theodore was that he was trying to anticipate to much the plays.

Well, the main factor why Theo is an Hart and Veniza winner is his Speed which give him the possibility to takes somes chance. His time reaction is incredible so he doesnt have to anticipate that much.

His effort of too much anticipation goes hand-to-hand with this injury...

You can see this year Theo has regain his "confidence", he's not waiting that much before making his moves. Sometimes you might think he have make the wrong move on a play but it's what makes him so effective: If the moves was the right one (as usual) then the play is all over no matter how good it was, if it's a mistake then he have the Speed to react and stop the puck.

Somes goalers can just wait wait wait and makes the very last moves, somes need to uses more their reaction speed. IS this a bad thing?? Well, When you BEST ASSET as a goaler is your speed as it is for Theo, it's certainly not a wrong way to play your game...

This year, he's healty and he's doing Great.

Old
10-24-2003, 06:37 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
Guy's explanation is correct, but I believe it was Théo's MCL, not ACL.
It's not much of a diffrence, it's still teh same, one is on the outside of the knee and one is on the back, and the miniscus is on the inside.

But I am not sure

Old
10-24-2003, 06:39 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund
If that's the case there's no way a goalie could play having to make all those lateral movements. A partial tear would have turned into a full tear in no time. I'm currently down with a partial miniscus tear
"fragmented cartilage" and it required surgery and 4 to 8 weeks of healing time. I could hardly walk before the surgery. No way he played with any type of partial tear. Like others said I'm no Doctor but I speak from current experience and pain!
Got some bad news man, depending on the severity and how often you do physical therapy, it might be more like 8-12 weeks. You really need to be careful with this. I had a friend who thought he healed in 6 weeks, and almost completely teared it. Just be careful, I am sure your doctor has told you this already, but I really beleive hearing it again doesn't hurt.

Old
10-24-2003, 07:44 PM
Guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
It's not much of a diffrence, it's still teh same, one is on the outside of the knee and one is on the back, and the miniscus is on the inside.

But I am not sure
On the contrary, the ones to the outside, the ACL and another who's designation I can't remember are the ones that heal properly by themselves in short order. The MCL is the major one running through the knee and it is very slow healing - and the one that usually needs surgery. If you hear anyone mentioning MCL, automatically think 6 weeks minimum.

A concerned fan.

Old
10-24-2003, 09:31 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Well if you people care enough I was looking at some websites, considering I might of been giving out false information, might as well give you a link to some good information.

MCL
ACL
Meniscus

Closed Thread