HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Trading Deadlines

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2006, 01:32 PM
GarretJoseph

vCash: 500
Trading Deadlines

I think by far the NHL trading deadline is the most exciting. I usually stay home on whatever day it falls on & my friend and I watch ESPNEWS/TSN and search the net for any updates while having the Radio on also. Its great.

The reason I'm saying this is because the NBA deadline is today & so far it sucks. Its 2.30 and there hasn't been much movement at all. I'm very disapointed.

The NFL deadline is the worst (I think)..

MLB is prob the second best & is prob pretty close to the NHL deadline.

Old
02-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Fish

It's quite possible that this year's deadline won't be as exciting for a couple of reasons...

#1 The deadline is 2 weeks earlier under the new CBA, so more teams will be in the race for the playoffs than traditionally

#2 The salary cap...though this might be mitigated by the expectation of a substantial increase in the cap next year based on the revenues this year

Old
02-23-2006, 03:33 PM
Fletch

I think #1...

is a good reason - less players on the block, and not a likely large amount of 'big' deals - perhaps deals with teams swapping to fill in holes (i.e., defenseman for forward, etc.). There won't be any dumping of high-priced talent on lower teams with more than a year left on their contract, though.

Old
02-23-2006, 04:15 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I actually think there will be big deals. I think because its earlier, possible playoff teams or even teams with injuries like Ottawa will have more pressure on deciding what they should do and would fork over better prospects in deals just to get what they need.

Old
02-23-2006, 04:31 PM
Choice

I agreed with the ESPN poll. The baseball trade deadline is the most interesting because fewer teams make the playoffs so it's interesting to see who's taking a shot at it and who isn't.

I'm glad that they moved the NHL trade deadline up. Often you would see a team going into the playoffs that barely resembled the one that played all year.

Old
02-23-2006, 09:34 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
It's quite possible that this year's deadline won't be as exciting for a couple of reasons...

#1 The deadline is 2 weeks earlier under the new CBA, so more teams will be in the race for the playoffs than traditionally

#2 The salary cap...though this might be mitigated by the expectation of a substantial increase in the cap next year based on the revenues this year
bingo, right on with #2. Man, it really is the best, but I hope I'm proven wrong and it's as exciting as years in the past.

Old
02-23-2006, 10:11 PM
rangerette94

Send a message via AIM to rangerette94
I never work the day of the deadline either.... LOL.. it is crazy up here in Toronto that day.... Well it was in the past anyways..... All 3 sports networks tripping over each other to get the trades out to the public first.... Plus I listen to the fan 590 also....

Anyone can listen online at www.thefan590.com....

Old
02-23-2006, 10:32 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish

#3 The Olympics...given how close the deadline is to the Olympic break, I'm not sure that teams are going to be able to judge well what their team is doing going into the stretch run

Closed Thread