HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

DP and what comes after the olympics

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2006, 12:52 AM
CosmoKramer

vCash:
DP and what comes after the olympics

I was speaking to a friend and i came up with a scenario of what will dp be like after the olympics end.

1) He comes back with great confidence which leads to a monster finish to the season

2) He is happy playing in front of the olympic team and has a let down (kind of a reality check) of where the team is in terms of the assumming changes and maybe no playoffs.

3) No major changes

Im curious to see which 1 of the 3 it is.

Last edited by CosmoKramer: 02-20-2006 at 02:40 AM.

Old
02-20-2006, 05:41 AM
Islanders4Cups

vCash: 500
DP has proven to me so far he can get the Islanders into the playoffs if they give hin a chance defensively. This team will improve if they shore up their own end.

Old
02-20-2006, 06:22 AM
Moosie

My Favorite Scenario

DP brings KJ home with him.

Old
02-20-2006, 08:11 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGodard49
I was speaking to a friend and i came up with a scenario of what will dp be like after the olympics end.

1) He comes back with great confidence which leads to a monster finish to the season

2) He is happy playing in front of the olympic team and has a let down (kind of a reality check) of where the team is in terms of the assumming changes and maybe no playoffs.

3) No major changes

Im curious to see which 1 of the 3 it is.
I think he comes back with a lot of confidence,but is quickly bought back to earth behind the Isles defense.

I'm glad DiPietro's getting a chance to remind Wang and whoever ends up as gm,
how well he can play behind a very good defense.

DiPietro is a ufa July,2007.I'm hoping to see the new gm retool the underachieving defense and get DiPietro signed to an extension this summer.

Old
02-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Smith31

This would be a perfect time to sign DP long-term. He can't demand big bucks with his current numbers. Of course, its a risk that he never improves beyond a mediocre #1, but the risk/reward is worthwhile

Old
02-20-2006, 10:10 AM
Grizzly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie
I kind of like that one too.

Old
02-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Melanson

Quote:

I think DP needs to continue to allow his defencemen to play the puck when he comes back to the Island. He often gets himself into trouble by overplaying the puck which is fine in the minors but in the NHL...that puck ends up in the back of the net.

Old
02-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Isles72

Quote:

now thats something I could live with

man o' man do we miss him

Old
02-20-2006, 03:07 PM
NYIsles1*

I expect to see more of what I have all season, little defensive support and a goaltender who wears down playing with no margin for error after a while and makes mistakes trying to do too much when he does wear down.

Of course along with that the DiPietro haters club jumping all over him for any goal he allows in every loss while ignoring any solid effort.

Old
02-20-2006, 03:18 PM
IslesJack

Send a message via ICQ to IslesJack Send a message via AIM to IslesJack
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
I expect to see more of what I have all season, little defensive support and a goaltender who wears down playing with no margin for error after a while and makes mistakes trying to do too much when he does wear down.

Of course along with that the DiPietro haters club jumping all over him for any goal he allows in every loss while ignoring any solid effort.

Yeah, you are right. Let's just make up more excuses for him. It's pretty simple and clear, his job is to go out there and give us a chance to win. We haven't gotten that much this year. When he starts stealing games for us and proves himself as a number one goalie then we can start having sympathy for him.

Regardless of effort or not, when you are flopping on your butt and playing ridiculously undiscipline that is what is going to stick out.

Old
02-20-2006, 03:33 PM
Melanson

Quote:

I don't think he only does this when he wears down. DP tries to do too much a couple of times during each game. I think that as he gains maturity this will change but it is a problem right now IMO.

He has cut down on this during the Olympics (although he gave up a scoring chance with a bad pass vs. Sweden plus took a penalty for shooting the puck over the glass) and it has helped his game a great deal.

DP has the physical talent to be a great goalie. I love his attitude and his passion. His challenge will be to harness that energy and play under control. I realize that this is partially the fault of the sieve defense in front of him but he has to bear some of that responsibility.

He plain and simply needs to be more responsible with the puck in my opinion. Once he learns this we will then be able to just how good he can be.

Old
02-20-2006, 03:34 PM
blitzkriegs

DP has played a simplistic game thus far. In the 2nd/3rd periods of the SWE game, he played the puck outside his crease a lot.

However, what is very noticeable is that DP has not had to overcompensate for defensive breakdowns similar to those attributed to NYI forwards/defense. DP is playing very well and similar to his performance in the WC.

I am not surprised that the "gap" in performance level lies with NYI. Unfortunately, NYI have a contigent of fans that seem to thrive on bashing DP's poor performances.

Too bad, once again, Doug Weight, like in the WC's, has already said that he/team feels bad for DP in that they haven't won the games he is giving them the chance to win.

Old
02-20-2006, 03:40 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesJack
It's pretty simple and clear, his job is to go out there and give us a chance to win.
And for the majority of his starts that's exactly what he's done all season long with little help and virtually no easy nights all season and that will be the trend after the Olympics. He's proven he's a number one goaltender, he did it in 03-04 and he's done it again this year. He's never going to steal enough games to satisfy his critics but he has stolen some games, hopefully he has a few more in him after the break.

Quote:
Regardless of effort or not, when you are flopping on your butt and playing ridiculously undiscipline that is what is going to stick out.
Unfortunately for some that's all that seems to stand out, he has his poor stretches but usually they are not sustained. It's the only time some have anything to say about him at all.

Old
02-20-2006, 03:42 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Yeah, you are right. Let's just make up more excuses for him. It's pretty simple and clear, his job is to go out there and give us a chance to win. We haven't gotten that much this year. When he starts stealing games for us and proves himself as a number one goalie then we can start having sympathy for him.

So what happens when he's making great saves, playing disciplined, and giving his team a chance to win in a game they've been outplayed in? He doesn't deserve credit for that? The fact that he's played extremely well with the national teams doesn't suggest that maybe the Islanders defense has anything to do with his play?

Your criticism reminds me a lot of what used to be said about Bertuzzi when he was here. Forgetting the flashes of brilliance for his immaturity, ignoring that he's still quite young.

Old
02-20-2006, 03:49 PM
BMOK33

Quote:

He has played well for the U.S. but we still see him making some similar mistakes to what he does in the NHL. He allowed a poor goal yesterday by falling out of position and the Hossa goal was bad the day before. Otherwise he has made several amazing stops which to be honest he never seems to make for us. A for flopping all over, if it stops the puck fine...Hasek made a living out of this and Rick often stops the puck in awkward ways as well although not to the extent Hasek did.

Old
02-20-2006, 08:45 PM
Islanders4Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOK33
He allowed a poor goal yesterday by falling out of position and the Hossa goal was bad the day before.
I disagree and I was watching the game!

Old
02-20-2006, 08:58 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOK33
He has played well for the U.S. but we still see him making some similar mistakes to what he does in the NHL. He allowed a poor goal yesterday by falling out of position and the Hossa goal was bad the day before. Otherwise he has made several amazing stops which to be honest he never seems to make for us. A for flopping all over, if it stops the puck fine...Hasek made a living out of this and Rick often stops the puck in awkward ways as well although not to the extent Hasek did.
I don't see how you can call either of those goals bad. Hossa fired an absolute laser and had no coverage at all. And, Bondra's goal was a bad giveaway.

Swap goaltenders, and that game would have been 7 or 8 to 0.

Old
02-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Riddick

i think the added weight he put on last 'season' is part of the problem. Took away his great side/side movement. I also think he falls to the ice WAY too fast, and as witnessed by yesterdays first goal, he just cant seem to get up after it. I kind of hope he takes this offseason to actually make himself more lean.

Old
02-20-2006, 09:25 PM
blitzkriegs

I find it amazing that DP is under so much scrutiny from NYI fans about every goal no matter the circumstances.

He has given up 4 goals in two games vs. high quality opponents. None of which were questionable goals against. He is giving the US a chance to win each game. The burderns on this team are offense from the forwards and defense, not on goaltending.

Old
02-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
He has given up 4 goals in two games vs. high quality opponents. None of which were questionable goals against. He is giving the US a chance to win each game. The burderns on this team are offense from the forwards and defense, not on goaltending.
I think this is the most important part here. In his three games, the US has not once been down by more than one goal. He has also not let in a single goal within the last ten minutes of a game. If the team in front of refuses to capitalize on that, then that's their problem. But Dipietro is giving them every possible chance and that's what makes a good performance in net.

We can argue over what mistakes he made, which goals he should've had, which ones were unstoppable, etc, but in the end a goalie is judged by the quality of the chance he gives his team to win the game. Games have to be won by the team on the ice, the whole team. The goaltender is included in that, but hockey is ultimately a team game.

Old
02-20-2006, 10:02 PM
Witter

He's in the olympics Playing THE BEST if he were playing st louis and let up 4 goals in 2 games than maybe you can complain but not when hes facing the best countrys can offer and keeping his team in it.
Dp is playing good in my eyes hasnt let a bad goal in really. Hes been playing real good with all the 2 on 1's and breakaways his offense just isnt getting the puck in the net if we won everyone would be praising dipietro but because we lose and this is the islander board we automatically point the finger at DP. Hes doing Great!

Old
02-21-2006, 07:53 AM
Capt Reynolds

I've been critical of DP when he's deserved it this year but I like the kid and still have hopes for his breakout. I think he played quite poorly leading up to the Olympics, but he's been very good in Turin. I thought he *could have* stopped both goals against Slovakia but they were hardly his fault, not by any stretch, and he had no chance on the SWE goals. By and large without DP in nets both the Slovakia and SWE games would have been blowouts. He made several highlight reel stops in each game and gave us a chance to win. Would it be nice if he had stolen a game? Of course, and eventually I hope he's doing that for the Isles. But, really, without DP's goaltending the US probably doesn't even make the medal round as our goal differential would have been huge. He deserves credit for his Olympic play just as he has deserved his share of the blame for some of his bad starts on the Island.

Old
02-21-2006, 08:21 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C.
I think he played quite poorly leading up to the Olympics
I do not see how you can write this based on his play and the results.

Going back almost a month I saw maybe three games where he had little help or let in a bad goal or two, aside from that he's been very good.

2-11: at Devils won, played very well.
2-6: Tampa lost in overtime, played well.
2-4: at Pittsburgh, stole the game with over forty saves and the shootout.
* 2-2: vs Rangers lost but had no help, media even reported he played well.
1-31: won vs Washington, played well.
1-28 won at Boston, over forty saves, stole game.
* 1-24 vs New Jersey, loss, pulled in game, two bad goals.
1-21 shootout loss at New Jersey, played very well.
1-19 4-3 loss at Carolina, ok effort, had little help.
* 1-14 8-1 loss vs Vancouver, pulled. Had no chance on at least three of four goals.
1-17 at Chicago ot win, played very well.
1-12 3-2 win vs Calgary, played well.

Old
02-21-2006, 08:42 AM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
I do not see how you can write this based on his play and the results.

Going back almost a month I saw maybe three games where he had little help or let in a bad goal or two, aside from that he's been very good.

2-11: at Devils won, played very well.
2-6: Tampa lost in overtime, played well.
2-4: at Pittsburgh, stole the game with over forty saves and the shootout.
* 2-2: vs Rangers lost but had no help, media even reported he played well.
1-31: won vs Washington, played well.
1-28 won at Boston, over forty saves, stole game.
* 1-24 vs New Jersey, loss, pulled in game, two bad goals.
1-21 shootout loss at New Jersey, played very well.
1-19 4-3 loss at Carolina, ok effort, had little help.
* 1-14 8-1 loss vs Vancouver, pulled. Had no chance on at least three of four goals.
1-17 at Chicago ot win, played very well.
1-12 3-2 win vs Calgary, played well.
Well, without getting into too much detail because I don't want to get too off-topic on a thread that is supposed to be about DP in the Olympics and how he carries that forward, but when you are pulled twice in 12 games and have something like an .880% save percentage I think you're playing poorly. I agree he had some very good games but he also, despite poor D support, had a number of games where he was letting in at least one goal he should have had. The fact that he had poor support does not change that. I don't want to say more than that though b/c I don't want to turn the thread into a debate on DP's past play, not just b/c of hijacking but especially when I've been very happy with how he's played in the Olympics and hope he carries that forward. I want to let the good vibes of his Olympic play keep my hopeful.

Old
02-21-2006, 08:34 PM
blitzkriegs

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/tor...Pietro/606659/

DP "closed out the 2003-04 season with five wins in seven starts."

Closed Thread