HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: RSS feeds.

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2006, 11:47 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
OT: RSS feeds.

I recently discovered RSS feeds and I am starting to take a liking to them. An RSS feed collects news headlines from a site you subscribe to, and sends you a headline to an independent site. It is very similar to your e-mail address but it's free, and there is no spam whatsoever. If you're interested in trying an RSS feed just keep on reading.

Getting Started.
1) Click one of the links: News Gator (PC) or Ranchero (MAC)
2a) PC users click on to the "Sign up! It's Free!" link.
2b) MAC users click on the "Software" tab at the top of the screen, which will point you to "Netnewswire 2.0.1".
Click that link and then click the "Download NetNewsWire 2.0.1 (4.0 MB)" link.
NOTE: I don't have a Mac so from here you're on your own.
3) PC users, fill out the registration information and ignore the Outlook Edition 2.0 license key. Check the license agreement and click "Next."
4) A list of recomended RSS feeds should appear. Put a check mark next to each feed you want, or nothing if you do not want to receive news updates from that particular site.
5) Submit the information and your account will be immediately activated.

Adding a Feed.
1) Click on the "Newsgator Manager" tab located at the top of the page, it will take you to your feed manager.
2) Click on the "Add a Feed" link in the whitespace located beneath the tab.
3) Common hockey feeds to search among are HFboards, USCHO, TSN, ESPN NHL, and Philly for the Philadelphia Inquirer.
4) Click on the "Add" link next to the desired feed and now you wait.

Checking Updates.
1) After some time you'll be ready to check for news updates.
2) Sign in on the Newsgator homepage and click on the "Newsgator Online" tab.
3) From there you should click on the little folder that says "My Clippings" off to the left.
4) There will be headlines from that major source awaiting you, and by clicking on them you can view the article in full.
5) Once you are done reading it just click the tab next to the link that says "Mark as Read" or if you're not interested in all of the headlines simply click "Mark all as Read." It will delete all of the unwanted articles.

I'm pretty new at this stuff so if you find out news sites, or new tricks feel free to post them. Cheers.

Old
02-22-2006, 12:40 PM
iceman42

You can also add the RSS feeds to Firefox, IE7 and most other major browsers, no need for the extra software.

Old
02-22-2006, 02:02 PM
semyers

I use My YaHoo RSS capability to see headlines of Articles I might want to read.

Closed Thread