HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Trade Deadline Predictions?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-20-2006, 01:38 PM
  #1
Darth Milbury
Registered User
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 35,822
vCash: 500
Trade Deadline Predictions?

Let see who is most accurate about what happens at the deadline. The Isles are only six points out, but the deadline comes early under the new CBA. I think the Isles will have only a handful of games before they have to decide. And, of course, our lame duck GM complicates the matter.

My own predictions:

1) Isles announce the re-signing of Mark Parrish to a 2-year 5.25 million deal.

2) Oleg Kvasha to the Calgary Flames for a 4th round pick.

3) Garth Snow to the EDM Oilers for a 4th round pick.

Your predictions?

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
02-20-2006, 01:49 PM
  #2
Killer Carlson
Registered User
 
Killer Carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Country: United States
Posts: 12,846
vCash: 500
No prediction here...I'm just hoping that #1 doesn't happen. I don't think this is a decision that should be made by MM or Wang. If you're going to give an incoming GM a chance to rebuild, you can't stick him with a contract that he might not want, IMHO.

Not saying that is terrible money for Parrish, but if the GM doesn't want him, it becomes a terrible contract for the GM.

Killer Carlson is offline  
Old
02-20-2006, 01:57 PM
  #3
Seph
Registered User
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oregon
Country: South Korea
Posts: 15,332
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Parrish and Martinek to the Flyers for 2 2nd rounders.

Kvasha to Detroit for a 5th

Sopel and a pick to Anaheim for on of their midlevel D prospects (Smith or O'Brien, maybe)

And in a shocking turn of events, Yashin is traded to Washington for their 1st rounder.



Hrm, actually, this is more what I'd like to see happen. I admit I have no idea what actually will transpire.

Seph is offline  
Old
02-20-2006, 02:10 PM
  #4
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 27,059
vCash: 500
Parrish to Minn. for defensive prospect Clayton Stoner+4th.
Sopel is moved to some desperate team for a 3rd

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
02-20-2006, 02:28 PM
  #5
Darth Milbury
Registered User
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 35,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson
No prediction here...I'm just hoping that #1 doesn't happen. I don't think this is a decision that should be made by MM or Wang. If you're going to give an incoming GM a chance to rebuild, you can't stick him with a contract that he might not want, IMHO.

Not saying that is terrible money for Parrish, but if the GM doesn't want him, it becomes a terrible contract for the GM.
This is really sound logic, KC. I think I agree.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
02-20-2006, 02:32 PM
  #6
Brain Hemorrhage
Registered User
 
Brain Hemorrhage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 2,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Let see who is most accurate about what happens at the deadline. The Isles are only six points out, but the deadline comes early under the new CBA. I think the Isles will have only a handful of games before they have to decide. And, of course, our lame duck GM complicates the matter.

My own predictions:

1) Isles announce the re-signing of Mark Parrish to a 2-year 5.25 million deal.

2) Oleg Kvasha to the Calgary Flames for a 4th round pick.

3) Garth Snow to the EDM Oilers for a 4th round pick.

Your predictions?

Isn't that less than what Parrish is making now? It's really disheartening to hear we will only get a 4th for Oleg. Plus, we'd be getting even shorter.

Brain Hemorrhage is offline  
Old
02-20-2006, 02:36 PM
  #7
tool123
Registered User
 
tool123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Wellington, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,151
vCash: 500
1. Minnesota:

Mark Parrish
for
Willie Mitchell
2nd round pick

2. Vancouver

Brent Sopel
Mattias Weinahndl
for
Jason King
2nd round pick

3. Los Angelas

Oleg Kvasha
for
Sean Avery

tool123 is offline  
Old
02-20-2006, 02:43 PM
  #8
Seph
Registered User
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oregon
Country: South Korea
Posts: 15,332
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage
Isn't that less than what Parrish is making now?
Parrish makes 1.9m now, and under Darth's contract would make 2.625m.

Seph is offline  
Old
02-20-2006, 02:44 PM
  #9
Darth Milbury
Registered User
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 35,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
Parrish to Minn. for defensive prospect Clayton Stoner+4th.
Sopel is moved to some desperate team for a 3rd
It will be interesting to see if Minn is interested in Parrish at the deadline. A lot will depend on their first two or three games after the Olympics. If they blow those games, they'll be 6 - 8 points back. At that point, I think a trade for an impending UFA would be unlikely.

That said, Stoner is a big kid who projects as a solid defensive dman. So, I think your deal would be great for the Isles over the longterm.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
02-20-2006, 02:47 PM
  #10
Darth Milbury
Registered User
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 35,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage
Isn't that less than what Parrish is making now? It's really disheartening to hear we will only get a 4th for Oleg. Plus, we'd be getting even shorter.
Honestly, BH, I think we might wind up with less than a 4th for Oleg.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
02-20-2006, 02:56 PM
  #11
NYIsles1*
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,539
vCash: 500
Besides a lot of complaining from the Milbury club regardless of what happens ask me after they play the remaining games because even though it's only five or six games until March 9th they will determine what direction this will go in.

Predictions? After seeing the team play close to five hundred hockey most of the year it's not realistic to expect this team to hit the ice flying and win the five of six games that's an absolute must to get into serious contention for what looks like one shot and the right to be defeated in the opening round by a a rested division-winner in the opening round. Unlike other years this team has consistently demonstrated it cannot beat the top level teams.

Prediction is 3-3-1-1 which means some veterans and some middle of the road players leave at the deadline to open jobs for some younger players and the Isles get back a few draft picks. Parrish depends strictly on what he has told the organization in terms of being opened to resigning here.

NYIsles1* is offline  
Old
02-20-2006, 03:14 PM
  #12
blitzkriegs
Registered User
 
blitzkriegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Beach & Mtn & Island
Posts: 8,448
vCash: 500
Outside of NYI tanking the pre-deadline games, I think NYI will stand pat. Like NYIsles said about Parrish, his longevity with NYI will depend on what his position is with NYI.

However, if you are an upcoming UFA for the 1st time in your career, in a season where the cap is supposed to increase, your production is similar to previous years, teams know what they are getting with it/you, your current team has never taken it to the next level and when they tried to (this year) they failed, you don't know who the next GM is, nor do you know who the next coach is. To me, that's asking a player to forego a LOT of questions/instability in a walk year...

Ideally, NYI move Kvasha because he should have no future plans in this organization. He'll continue to flounder on future teams or become a stable productive presence on a more veteran laden, responsibility reducing team.

blitzkriegs is offline  
Old
02-20-2006, 03:17 PM
  #13
Killer Carlson
Registered User
 
Killer Carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Country: United States
Posts: 12,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Honestly, BH, I think we might wind up with less than a 4th for Oleg.
I'd take a few practice pucks and some oil for the Zambonis for Oleg. You have to think that no matter who the GM is, he isn't going to keep him, so whatever you get for him at the deadline is gravy.

Killer Carlson is offline  
Old
02-20-2006, 03:26 PM
  #14
Capt Reynolds
Registered User
 
Capt Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 7,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
Predictions? After seeing the team play close to five hundred hockey most of the year it's not realistic to expect this team to hit the ice flying and win the five of six games that's an absolute must to get into serious contention for what looks like one shot and the right to be defeated in the opening round by a a rested division-winner in the opening round. Unlike other years this team has consistently demonstrated it cannot beat the top level teams.

Prediction is 3-3-1-1 which means some veterans and some middle of the road players leave at the deadline to open jobs for some younger players and the Isles get back a few draft picks. Parrish depends strictly on what he has told the organization in terms of being opened to resigning here.
My prediction is along the lines of this. We will continue to play .500 hockey, possibly better if DiPi and Blake and Parry (not to mention Yashin and Satan) are on a post-Olympic high, possibly worse if they are in a post-Olympic hangover. We have five games before the deadline, Montreal, Jersey twice, Philly and Washington. We have played Jersey well this year, but Philly kills us, and Washington is always a crap shoot. I'm thinking we go .500, maybe even 1 and 4 or 2 and 3, because Montreal is in a death struggle for the last spot. Either way I think we will likely be no better than four points out but with two or three teams still ahead of us, and we'll see some vets moved.

My predictions:

Parrish to Philly for a second round pick and mid-level prospect. Minny currently is five out of the last spot and will not make enough of a run before the deadline to pay as much for Parrish as Philly, already in and looking to solidy for a run, will.

Sopel back to Vancouver for a third rounder. Yes, a surprise prediction! But he did well there and they need some depth while Jovocop is out.

Kvasha goes nowhere, because no one wants him. He fades away and is not resigned when our new GM takes over. This time next year he has worked his way up to Assistant Manager in Charge of Screw-Caps at the Stolichnya Bottling Factory in Vladivostok.

Bates to Buffalo for a third round pick. Buffalo needs depth, Bates is a Regier-type player, and his expiring contract writes his ticket out of town.

I agree with Killer. I like Parry, although almost $2.7million is too much for Parrish IMHO. But even if I thought it was fair, Milbury should not be resigning anyone. He might keep an impending UFA if he thinks we can resign him, but only in a holding pattern until the new GM takes over. The new GM might love Parry but decide that we can fill the RW spot better and cheaper and the team might be better served using the money to shore up our D. We cannot tie the hands of our new GM with new contracts.

Capt Reynolds is offline  
Old
02-20-2006, 03:33 PM
  #15
Killer Carlson
Registered User
 
Killer Carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Country: United States
Posts: 12,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C.
Kvasha goes nowhere, because no one wants him. He fades away and is not resigned when our new GM takes over. This time next year he has worked his way up to Assistant Manager in Charge of Screw-Caps at the Stolichnya Bottling Factory in Vladivostok.
That line is insulting, Joe.

Insulting to all the poor screw-cap installers at the factory who would have to now listen to Oleg, who will probably wear rollerblades so he can literally coast throughout the factory.

Killer Carlson is offline  
Old
02-20-2006, 03:38 PM
  #16
Capt Reynolds
Registered User
 
Capt Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 7,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson
Insulting to all the poor screw-cap installers at the factory who would have to now listen to Oleg, who will probably wear rollerblades so he can literally coast throughout the factory.
Yes, but he will be the pet project of the plant Manager, who went out on a limb and fired a key employee in order to sign Oleg. When Oleg shows inconsistent dedication several supervisors will be fired for "misusing" Oleg.

Capt Reynolds is offline  
Old
02-20-2006, 03:40 PM
  #17
Darth Milbury
Registered User
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 35,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
Outside of NYI tanking the pre-deadline games, I think NYI will stand pat. Like NYIsles said about Parrish, his longevity with NYI will depend on what his position is with NYI.

.
But, if the Isles don't know what will happen with Parrish, Kvasha, and Bates, why would they stand pat? That seems to be a strategy we simply can't afford.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
02-20-2006, 03:44 PM
  #18
Killer Carlson
Registered User
 
Killer Carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Country: United States
Posts: 12,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C.
Yes, but he will be the pet project of the plant Manager, who went out on a limb and fired a key employee in order to sign Oleg. When Oleg shows inconsistent dedication several supervisors will be fired for "misusing" Oleg.
Good point. He'll probably also have a few good quarters where production on the Screw-Cap line are above-average but they will be few and far between.

BTW, I also heard that Asst Manager Oleg is planning on having the entire plant sloped slightly downhill so that when he is on his rollerblades, he'd never have to actually stride!

Killer Carlson is offline  
Old
02-20-2006, 03:45 PM
  #19
Melanson
Registered User
 
Melanson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 1,167
vCash: 500
I can't predict who we will get in return because who the heck knows who Milbury thinks is good.

Anyway, the only player I see being traded is Parrish because I don't think anyone else, that is tradeable, has any value. The new signees won't go IMO because Milbury doesn't want to go out looking like he really screwed up which takes away Zhitnik, Luko, York and Sopel. For the same reason you won't see Satan leave.

I don't think Bates brings us anything in return because of his injury history. I also don't think that we can realistically expect teams to be knocking down our door for the likes of Kvasha and Weinhandl both of which can barely earn ice time with our team.

Parrish has value because he goes to the front of the net and scores. Blake has value but if the Isles trade him who else is really worth watching on this team? They would be crazy to trade any of the young guys like Campoli, Nilsson or Martinek.

The only other guy on the team that I could see others interested in is Asham. I think a team in contention might want someone like Asham who can fight and play.

Melanson is offline  
Old
02-20-2006, 03:46 PM
  #20
Seph
Registered User
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oregon
Country: South Korea
Posts: 15,332
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson
Good point. He'll probably also have a few good quarters where production on the Screw-Cap line are above-average but they will be few and far between.

BTW, I also heard that Asst Manager Oleg is planning on having the entire plant sloped slightly downhill so that when he is on his rollerblades, he'd never have to actually stride!
In January screw cap production will be at a n annual high, unfortunately coming just after the Christmas rush and too late to help the factory stay in the black.

Seph is offline  
Old
02-20-2006, 03:47 PM
  #21
Darth Milbury
Registered User
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 35,822
vCash: 500
Interesting new "cap" conversation you guys have going there.

And, you are right. Many of us do feel like we got screwed by the cap.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
02-20-2006, 03:51 PM
  #22
Capt Reynolds
Registered User
 
Capt Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 7,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanson
The new signees won't go IMO because Milbury doesn't want to go out looking like he really screwed up which takes away Zhitnik, Luko, York and Sopel. For the same reason you won't see Satan leave.
Well, he did trade Niinimaa even though he resigned him at the end of last season. I don't think that is what will hold him back, it will just be that we might not get much for many of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanson
Parrish has value because he goes to the front of the net and scores. Blake has value but if the Isles trade him who else is really worth watching on this team?
I think Blake won't be moved because he is signed beyond this year at a very reasonable price given his contributions. Parrish wouldn't be going anywhere except that he's an impending UFA and we couldn't get his name on the dotted line long-term last offseason so we probably won't be able to get him signed now.

Capt Reynolds is offline  
Old
02-20-2006, 03:52 PM
  #23
Killer Carlson
Registered User
 
Killer Carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Country: United States
Posts: 12,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Interesting new "cap" conversation you guys have going there.

And, you are right. Many of us do feel like we got screwed by the cap.
Good one, Darth!

I wonder if Oleg will get any mind-boggling chances at running Stolichnaya's profit-making aspects. Sure, others will deserve it more and he wouldn't do anything to improve anything while having that chance, but we've seen stranger things...

Killer Carlson is offline  
Old
02-20-2006, 03:53 PM
  #24
blitzkriegs
Registered User
 
blitzkriegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Beach & Mtn & Island
Posts: 8,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
But, if the Isles don't know what will happen with Parrish, Kvasha, and Bates, why would they stand pat? That seems to be a strategy we simply can't afford.
Because they did as much the last time NYI entered this stage. I doubt Wang permits MM to trade UFA's when NYI are still within playoff reach.

It's not whether it is a strategy one can't afford, rather whether NYI want to give the appearance of giving up when they do have a shot. I agree with your perspective, but I don't see Wang agreeing. That's all. Maybe he dumps another contract of another underperformer to soften the financial hit. Remember, the deadline is earlier now, so teams eat more of the salary then in the past.

Not to mention, the Coliseum race is now down to Wilpon and Wang. It is NOT in Wang's best interests to sell off parts while such a decision is being made. Especially with Spring Training and all the pre-Mets improved themselves in the offseason hype starting...

blitzkriegs is offline  
Old
02-20-2006, 03:58 PM
  #25
Killer Carlson
Registered User
 
Killer Carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Country: United States
Posts: 12,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
Not to mention, the Coliseum race is now down to Wilpon and Wang. It is NOT in Wang's best interests to sell off parts while such a decision is being made. Especially with Spring Training and all the pre-Mets improved themselves in the offseason hype starting...
See, I disagree here. In my opinion, trading guys like Parrish, Kvasha, Bates who are UFA's and might leave (should leave?) makes a statement of "We want to start getting better NOW" instead of letting them walk for nothing during the offseason. Just b/c you are selling off parts, it doesn't mean that it is not in the best interests of the team.

And I don't think that the Mets improving themselves has ANYTHING to do with this. It isn't like they want to move the Mets to Nassau. They want to put a minor league franchise there (which, btw, I believe would have to be approved by Big Stein over in the Bronx as part of MLB's territorial rights).

Killer Carlson is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.