HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lacroix about Johansson

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2003, 04:41 AM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 0
Lacroix about Johansson

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...719783,00.html

Johansson came to two camps, got an injury, and the overall consensus of our group was that there is a risk factor with him. We acquired a third-round pick in this deal, and we would have lost him for nothing. We were not going to sign him. That was our decision.

Old
10-24-2003, 05:12 AM
DarioinDenver

vCash: 500
That's a cop out on the fact PL wasn't going to sign him because Jonas put himself into a Sauer situation. He wanted a 1st round pick contract and PL didn't believe he was worth it. Well that gives me a little more confidence in the move in that we got something for him rather than nothing. Good luck to Washington in getting him signed by June 04.

Old
10-24-2003, 06:31 AM
AVS1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
That's a cop out on the fact PL wasn't going to sign him because Jonas put himself into a Sauer situation. He wanted a 1st round pick contract and PL didn't believe he was worth it. Well that gives me a little more confidence in the move in that we got something for him rather than nothing. Good luck to Washington in getting him signed by June 04.
Hi guys,

I don't post here often, but just wanted to pass on a little bit of info I learned about Jonas Johansson.

I was out watching a Midget AAA game on Wed night and noticed a guy wearing a Kamloops Blazers jacket. I assumed he must be a scout so went and talked to him at period break. We chatted about the game and guys he was watching and then got to talking about Johansson and the trade. He told me that about 2 weeks ago Lacroix and his head scout came out to Kamloops to watch Jonas play a couple games. Of course this got the rumor mill going and what he heard was that the Avs were worried about 2 things with Jonas, 1) the injuries he had make him a high risk prospect not worth 1st round draft pick $ and 2) that he may be a great junior prospect but lacks the toughness, work ethic etc. to become a top 6 NHL forward. He assumed they liken him to a Val Bure, someone who is great in the WHL, but lacks what it takes to be a good NHL'er.

Old
10-24-2003, 08:00 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS1819
Of course this got the rumor mill going and what he heard was that the Avs were worried about 2 things with Jonas, 1) the injuries he had make him a high risk prospect not worth 1st round draft pick $ and 2) that he may be a great junior prospect but lacks the toughness, work ethic etc. to become a top 6 NHL forward.
Yet, the Avs signed Kuleshov who's injuries were worse than Johansson's and Kuleshov has proven he doesn't have any top 6 qualities to speak of. I chalk up that Johansson stuff to rumor as much anything. And Johansson wouldn't be paid 1st round money if he was in Hershey either, just for the record.

As Dario alluded to, this was clearly a money issue. As such, that does change my perspective on it a bit. The Caps will need to sign him for this trade to be in their favor; if Johansson goes back into the draft or goes UFA, then the Caps don't win this deal. I don't particularly like PL saying that Johansson was basically damaged goods publicly though. Seems like a half-hearted attempt to justify trading Johansson rather than just saying we weren't going to pay him what he wanted.

Old
10-24-2003, 09:28 AM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
I read the quote in the Post this morning. It clears up my questions about his involvement in the trade. The Avs have had problems in the past with prospects wanting too much money. I don't necessarily like the way Lacroix addressed the Johansson issue, but it does clear things up.

Old
10-24-2003, 01:09 PM
Thereisnoway

If Johansson didn't sign wouldn't they have gotten a 2nd round draft pick as compensation from the leugue?

Old
10-24-2003, 01:12 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereisnoway
If Johansson didn't sign wouldn't they have gotten a 2nd round draft pick as compensation from the leugue?
I believe that's correct; that's a hell of a point.

Old
10-24-2003, 01:28 PM
M.F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereisnoway
Wasn't Johansson drafted when playing in Europe? As i understand it that means he can't re-enter the draft nor beconme free agent in 2004, instead being Avs property (now Caps property) until retired.

As an example you could use Kristian Kovac who was drafted when playing in Europe, went to play in the CHL for two years and returned to Europe after that. But he is still listed as Avs property. Can't see the difference between Kovac and Johansson regarding the status two year after the draft...

http://www.coloradoavalanche.com/team/IntheSystem.asp

Old
10-24-2003, 01:45 PM
avfan#21

I think Lacroix is partially blowing smoke up our ***** and two, I think Johansson was probably wanting more than Lacroix wanted to pay. Lacroix wanted Konowalchuk bad enough that he dealt him and knows that the fans want an explanation for dealing arguably our best forward prospect. I found it odd he'd even mention it considering I can never remember him explaining why he's dealt a prospect before, let alone disparage one after the fact. I think he knew he overpaid for Kono, but felt we needed him more in the long run.

Old
10-24-2003, 01:55 PM
nathan

It's almost like he needed to explain himself to satisfy people (either the fans, media or both).

He got really detailed into it.

When he traded Vrbata for Battaglia, all he really needed to say was that he wanted to address a need (size).

Closed Thread