HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We should perform better in 3rd or we'll get burned!!

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2003, 05:34 AM
Habs4ever

vCash: 500
We should perform better in 3rd or we'll get burned!!

Last year we lost so many points in third its not even funny, and tough we are winning now, if the trend continues and we continue to get dominated, we are bound to come out flat in the third and blowing leads, They look pretty much like last year in third period difference being theo standing on his head, and stopping everything thrown at him.

Old
10-24-2003, 06:00 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
Last year we lost so many points in third its not even funny, and tough we are winning now, if the trend continues and we continue to get dominated, we are bound to come out flat in the third and blowing leads, They look pretty much like last year in third period difference being theo standing on his head, and stopping everything thrown at him.
I'm going to wait til this team allows a third period goal til I get worried about this.
I agree we were the worst third period team in the league maybe last year, and have had a few third period flat points this year, but a team that allows zero third period goals to this point of the season, shouldn't change there game plan too much, imo.

Old
10-24-2003, 09:53 AM
watercoolant

Send a message via MSN to watercoolant
Just something to ponder about: (Correct me if I'm wrong )

We are always emphasizing on the defensive system, and it is at the transition phase that we capitalize on to create offense. So if we focus even more on the defensive aspect in the 3rd period (to tide up the play), it will replace the transition by simply dumping the puck to the other end and thus apparently it seems that we're being dominated because we cut down on our offensive game... now I'm confused

Old
10-24-2003, 10:00 AM
Joe Maximum

Quote:
Originally Posted by watercoolant

We are always emphasizing on the defensive system, and it is at the transition phase that we capitalize on to create offense. So if we focus even more on the defensive aspect in the 3rd period (to tide up the play), it will replace the transition by simply dumping the puck to the other end and thus apparently it seems that we're being dominated because we cut down on our offensive game... now I'm confused
I agree with what you're stating. Playing a defensive game means letting the other team control the puck but not create much offense with it. That is exactly what the habs have been doing, and Theo did not stand on his head in the 3rd. Most or even all of the shots I can remember in the 3rd weren't top notch scoring chance. And personally I've come to expect that theo will stop the lower tier scoring chances, which he has done. But Theo standing on his head=/= stopping a few couple of chances. Theo standing on his head = stopping a sure goal once a period

Old
10-24-2003, 10:17 AM
scosar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever

That was only one game. We have been pretty strong in most 3rd periods but last night we were defending the toughest lead in hockey. 2-0. We went into prevent defense mode and let the Isles come at us.
Nothing like last year where we just stopped skating in the 3rd.

Old
10-24-2003, 04:18 PM
jacklours

Quote:

You're totally right. Every team does that, it's a kinda normal reaction. The kinda game they play works and they dominate the other team by playing somewhat agressive and by taking risks, but then they fear all the sudden they will make mistakes and then stops taking risks, But like you said what happens is that they back-up too much and get dominated. That just pisses me off so bad. I hate when coaches come in the room and say stuff like : we gotta play more defensively cause were leading. My thinking is that it worked so far, keep playing the way you did since you're outplaying the opposing team.

Anyways, these were my thoughts

Old
10-25-2003, 08:12 AM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:

Exactly correct. When the Habs have a lead now they switch to a much deeper and more passive trap (yes, not all traps are created equal). The 1-2-2 has the one winger in forechecking (ie, only swirling around the offensive zone) and the remaining two forwards are sitting back in their half of the ice. That typically is to stop any effective transition of the opposition as opposed to generating good offensive transition from turnovers in the neutral zone.

Also, in their own end, they play the zone D which still allows the opponents to have considerable puck possession, but not from typically good scoring locations (ie, they don't actively pursue the puck, but cut off the major passing lanes and keep the puck off to the angles).

If your goalie is playing solid positional hockey, he will keep you in those games...and our two guys have been playing that way so far. It also helps that the goalies will see a lot more of the pucks as compared to last year. Instead of totally collapsing in front of the net and thus likely really screening the goalie, the play is forced to the outsides, with a lot less lateral movement in front, which allows much better goalie puck vision and time to react.

It's not perfect or thrilling, but it is effective as long as you continue to play as a team. What worries me is the team's ability to generate offence late in the game if the opponent is able to tie up the game or take the lead...they have had the lead so much this season, so it may be quite an adjustment when it finally starts to happen a lot more.

Closed Thread