HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the Habs pretenders or contendors?

View Poll Results: Are the Habs for real?
Hell yeah! 33 46.48%
Nothing but a quick start and we'll trail off eventually... 38 53.52%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2003, 06:57 AM
theo6060

vCash: 500
Are the Habs pretenders or contendors?

Okay, maybe not contendors but going into the season if you had told me they would start 5-2 I wouldn't have believed it. So, in the first seven games have we seen what's to come from the Habs this season, or are we being dragged along and toyed with?

Old
10-24-2003, 07:06 AM
habsfan11

before this long strech of games against very good teams, det, nyi, i thought that they just had a couple of good games, but now im started to think they can make a splash this year. There not going to win the presidents throphy, especially with their 3rd periode play. But they could finish as high as 5th or sixth in the east. I think will know how good they are after saturday nights game against the sens.

Keep in mind they have put a 5-2 record together without koivu.

Old
10-24-2003, 07:11 AM
Corey

How to put it, contenders or pretenders? In between.

Old
10-24-2003, 07:11 AM
Darz

I always felt the habs were going to surprise a lot of people this year.

A new system (which suits what we have, instead of a round peg square hole approach), a new attitude, an injection of youth, and a refocused Theodore, had me pretty optimistic.

Then again I'm pretty much an optimist when it comes to the habs, so....

With what I've seen so far this year (and remember this is without Koivu in the lineup), I can't see why we can't compete. It's still early I know, but I can't remember the last time we looked this good over this period of games.

Old
10-24-2003, 07:48 AM
habfan4

Ask this question again at the end of the month. With the Sens in town on Saturday, followed by a trip to Philly on Monday, and a home and home with the Bruins to close out the month - I guess we'll know by then.

Old
10-24-2003, 08:08 AM
doc lafleur

Just beat the Sens Saturday, Sunday start thinking how to beat the Flyer's like we did last year.

Old
10-24-2003, 08:57 AM
habsfansam

for the first time in a while we have forward depth!! Bring on the rest of the season... we'll make the playoffs if we continue in this manner... even La Presse had to admit that a win is a win, no mater if it's ugly. If we can convince LaPresse we can do anything!!

More seriously, i don't think we'll win a Cup, but we should make the playoffs and look decent doing it. predicting 90pts!

Old
10-24-2003, 09:12 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
Ask this question again at the end of the month. With the Sens in town on Saturday, followed by a trip to Philly on Monday, and a home and home with the Bruins to close out the month - I guess we'll know by then.
pretty much agree here.

Old
10-24-2003, 09:20 AM
SwedenRulez

vCash:
I hope that the first seven games show what will be the season, but, big games are coming and it can change radically.

Old
10-24-2003, 09:33 AM
Démon Blond

if we win at least 2 of our 4 next games, then I'll start considering that maybe we could make the playoffs... until then my stance doesn't change and I still don't think we'll make it. :p

But you got to love that season start, without our best offensive player!!!

Go Habs Go!

Old
10-24-2003, 11:11 AM
HABitude

Hell yeah !!!

We are CONTENDERS !!, nothing less my friends !!

This looks like '86 and '93. We truly rocks!
Look at the smile of my avatar.
Power Flower is back in the souls of Habs players!

We're gonna win, prepare for Stanley Cup parade !!
Celebration time !!

Old
10-24-2003, 12:15 PM
theo6060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
I always felt the habs were going to surprise a lot of people this year.

A new system (which suits what we have, instead of a round peg square hole approach), a new attitude, an injection of youth, and a refocused Theodore, had me pretty optimistic.

Then again I'm pretty much an optimist when it comes to the habs, so....

With what I've seen so far this year (and remember this is without Koivu in the lineup), I can't see why we can't compete. It's still early I know, but I can't remember the last time we looked this good over this period of games.
Now that you mention it, I do sort of remember you saying last year how you thought we were going to surprise. I tried looking at things more objectionally and thought the 5-2 pounding given by the Sens was a sign of what the team would do this year. They were awful defensively that game, but from what I've seen lately, the players look like they feel they can win. And that is more important than anything else. If a team believes in themselves, they can do anything.

Old
10-24-2003, 12:49 PM
zurg999

Plekanec;

Thanks for re-posting the link to my preseason "optimist" thread . I'm keeping that one and my "regular season points prediction poll" thread handy for later reference.

I don't expect we can continue at a 110 point pace, but 90 should be achievable if the work ethic and chemistry can continue. I still think a lot of the early success is a direct result of a healthier blueline.

Regards.

Old
10-24-2003, 01:48 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
Hell yeah !!!

Celebration time !!
I love your avator man...

As for the habs, I hope you are right

Old
10-24-2003, 07:42 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
"Prepare the life boats!"

"There aren't enough life boats for everyone aboard!"

"alright then, if no one heard us, we each have a boat to ourselves!"

"Sounds good to me..."

Old
10-25-2003, 04:10 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

If there's no major injuries to Souray, Markov, Koivu, Bulis, Zednik, Ribeiro, Ryder or Theodore, I don't see how we could miss the playoffs, unless ***** starts happening in the locker room but with BG in place, I doubt there's a chance for that.

We have * A LOT * of depth at every single position and there's still talent in the AHL like Komo, Higgins (soon), Plekanec, Beauchemin or even Dykhuis that can fill in for injuries and allow us to remain competitive all year long. The demotion of Traverse also made us instantaniously stronger at D.

Good system + healthy attitude + pleasant surprises like Ribeiro/Brisebois/Ryder/Souray so far have made a beleiver out of me (for the playoff run that is).

Old
10-25-2003, 04:35 AM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
If there's no major injuries to Souray, Markov, Koivu, Bulis, Zednik, Ribeiro, Ryder or Theodore, I don't see how we could miss the playoffs, unless ***** starts happening in the locker room but with BG in place, I doubt there's a chance for that.

We have * A LOT * of depth at every single position and there's still talent in the AHL like Komo, Higgins (soon), Plekanec, Beauchemin or even Dykhuis that can fill in for injuries and allow us to remain competitive all year long. The demotion of Traverse also made us instantaniously stronger at D.

Good system + healthy attitude + pleasant surprises like Ribeiro/Brisebois/Ryder/Souray so far have made a beleiver out of me (for the playoff run that is).
Good points. I'd too say we could very well be in the playoffs this year. There is no doubt in my mind we have the offense that can score goals; the proof is we often get only 15 to 20 shots on goal, and manage to score 3 goals anyway, that's what you call opportunism. The system is played expectionally well up to now, and the opponant's scoring chances are reduced compared to the previous years. What I'm worried about is our play after taking the lead. We seem to sit down on our lead, and guys look like they only want to protect this win. I don't mind seeing bump and chase hockey, but Thursday, we could have messed up with our lead because of that. It lets the other team have their momentum back, as we saw in the 2nd and 3rd period against NY.

To come back to the main subject, as many others said previously, we do have depth in every position, and combined with a good system, a healthy attitude in the locker room, supportive fans, and effort on the ice, we are in for a good one. Let's just hope we stay away from injury. Anyway it couldn't get any worse than L.A., who not has its 3 best forwards and 3 best defensemen on the injury list (!).

Old
10-25-2003, 10:06 AM
zednik 20 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
Hell yeah !!!

Celebration time !!
lol i love this too!

anyway, we are not expected to be a contender team, so we won't be really a pretender...

Closed Thread