HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2006 Draft: Who should we target?

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Seph

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
2006 Draft: Who should we target?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edallas
With the 1st. round pick this year, "guessing" around the #10 spot, would you pick a defensmen, forward or just the best player available?
edallas posted this question in another thread, but I felt it deserved its own thread. Assuming we get a top 10 pick (looking likely) who should we target? Do we try to fill holes (defenseman with size, first line scoring forward) or should we go best player available? Who do you think will be the best player available?

Old
02-21-2006, 09:32 PM
Seph

This draft seems particularly short on blue chip defenseman. Outside of Johnson, they all seem to have pretty major question marks. The only other one I really think is worth a top 10 pick is Sanguinetti, but I have little interest in him as he seems too similar to Camps and Gervais. Maybe Williams or Wishart, but I feel like he could be had later. There should be some big defenseman with upside available late first/early second round (Degray for ex.) and I'd rather move up with whatever 2nds we have to nab one of them.

So, unless Johnson falls to us (won't happen) I think we should try to nab one of the forwards that could be an elite first liner. If we can package our first with something to get into the top 5, I'd love to get Toews or Staal. But there are still some really good forwards beyond them who should be available throughout the top 10. Backstrom seems like he'd fit nicely with Nilsson. Both Mueller and Sheppard have very nice upside as well. Frolik could be worth the risk also, same goes for Little.

Old
02-22-2006, 12:33 AM
boredmale

any time you draft you draft for 3-4 years downt he line. I say get the Best Player available

Old
02-22-2006, 07:17 AM
NYIsles1*

This is from Red Line Report on 1/26. Have to figure the way things are playing out so far Isles could pick anywhere from 6th-16th at this time. We could use the recent CSB rankings if anyone has them to get somewhat of a concensus going as to a tangible list of players it will come down to on draft day. Who does the selecting (Milbury's staff with a new gm and transitional staff or Milbury with his current staff) really makes no differce for the purposes of this.

As always you take the best available player.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...red-line_x.htm

Red Line Report's early list of the top draft-eligible prospects
for the NHL's 2006 Entry Draft June 24-25 in Vancouver.

No. Player Pos. Ht./Wt. Shoots DOB 2005-06 team
1. Erik Johnson D 6-4/218 R 3/21/88 U.S. NTDP U-18
2. Phil Kessel C 5-11/180 R 10/02/87 Univ. of Minnesota
3. Jonathan Toews C 6-1/185 L 4/29/88 North Dakota Univ.
4. Peter Mueller C 6-2/203 R 4/14/88 Everett
5. Jordan Staal C 6-4/208 L 9/10/88 Peterborough
6. Bryan Little C 5-11/188 R 11/12/87 Barrie
7. Nigel Williams D 6-5/220 L 4/18/88 U.S. NTDP U-18
8. Michael Frolik LW 6-0/187 L 2/17/88 Kladno Sr.
9. Derrick Brassard C 6-0/174 L 9/22/87 Drummondville
10. Mike Forney RW 6-3/190 R 5/14/88 Lincoln H.S.

Stock rising:
Nikolai Kulemin: He didn't opt in in 2004, then had a mediocre season last year, but his coming out party at Worlds was impressive. He showed great hands and touch around net, and he fared well in a real fight against Czechs. A real eye-opener.

Nicklas Bäckström: This terrific playmaker plays a gritty style some in Sweden have likened to Peter Forsberg. Let's not get carried away, but he is pretty darn good.

Erik Johnson: He's been in our top three since last season, but now all the elements of his game are coming together and he feels confident enough to do anything he wants against the world's best.

Mike Weber: This big, stay-at-home defender is a great "effort" guy and physical presence.

Reto Berra: We liked him last year too, but he has really taken it to a new level this season. He always had the great size and athleticism combination, but now he's showing much more consistency and mental toughness.

Old
02-22-2006, 08:28 AM
Seph

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
any time you draft you draft for 3-4 years downt he line. I say get the Best Player available
If someone stands out as being the hands down best player, then of course you grab him. But in a shallow draft like this, where we'll be picking, I think there's less of a chance that it will be that clear. Let's say you have a handful of guys left that are the best remaining, but none really has done anything to make you think he's better than the others in that group. In that case, I think it's wise to go by organizational need.

Old
02-22-2006, 10:33 AM
Capt Reynolds

I'm still hoping for a top 5 pick and that we manage to nab Staal. Big, skilled C with first line potential and great work ethic. Billed as the most talented Staal. Just what we need.

Failing that, I like Little and Brassard.

Old
02-22-2006, 11:25 AM
tool123

Considering that the Isles get a pick between 6-10, I like them to look at and consider:

LW James Sheppard---Power forward, character player
D Ty Wishart---Big two D-man
C Derick Brassard---Finesse offensive Center
C Nick Foligno---Mike Ricci/Mike Peca type player

I rather the Isles breakaway from drafting 2nd-3rd line scrappy players because they have so many already and try to get more finesse or a definate power forward. High end Defensivemen is something the Isles need in there system.

Old
02-22-2006, 07:36 PM
Seph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C.
I'm still hoping for a top 5 pick and that we manage to nab Staal. Big, skilled C with first line potential and great work ethic. Billed as the most talented Staal. Just what we need.
I dunno, we don't have much luck with drafting the better brother.

Old
02-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Riddick

i kinda agree with the staal opinion. Barring a top5 pick, i think we should try to maybe trade up for it. Like you said, this draft REALLY isnt that deep and i think sacrficing a later pick(maybe our 1st and 3rd or 2nd?) to get an impact player is key. Poor pittsburgh tho, 4 years in a row they have a top 3 pick.

Old
02-22-2006, 08:36 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick
i kinda agree with the staal opinion. Barring a top5 pick, i think we should try to maybe trade up for it. Like you said, this draft REALLY isnt that deep and i think sacrficing a later pick(maybe our 1st and 3rd or 2nd?) to get an impact player is key. Poor pittsburgh tho, 4 years in a row they have a top 3 pick.
you won't be saying poor pittsburgh for long. first of all, they'll probably move from the town and second of all, they will be a force to be reckoned with very soon. people used to say "poor ottawa and poor quebec (aka, the avs)" as well.

Old
02-22-2006, 08:39 PM
Riddick

o, trust me, i KNOW that. Im just saying, wo is them for the last 4 seasons. I cant imagine how they are going to be in a few years. Malkin AND crosby?? Jebus, just throw ovechkin on that line and itll make the Ottowa 1st line look like an AHL line.

Old
02-22-2006, 08:41 PM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
I dunno, we don't have much luck with drafting the better brother.

Old
02-22-2006, 09:03 PM
MattyW

The Isles right now have some nice 2nd/3rd line role players with O'Marra, Colliton, Comeau, Bergenheim, Nokeilanen for the future. And I would say with the exception of Nilsson, we lack any sort of a 1st line prospect. I think that should be the target.

Right now we have the #7 pick, and if I was a GM if I had as good a pick as that, I wouldn't go with a "safe pick".I would want skill. I am really intrigued with Niklas Backstrom. Besides the fact that the dynamic skill players are coming over from Europe more recently, I did catch him once during the WJC and I noticed him right off the bat without knowing who he was or anything about him. I am no scout, but if I have no idea who a player is, and I notice him the first game I see of him, and his draft stock as been rising ever since, I'd say he's a player to be targeted. Him and Nilsson on a first line in the future would be nice.

Another guy might be James Sheppard, but he reminds me a little of Mark Bell or Taylor Pyatt, these power forwards who have yet to reach their potential to its fullest. And of course I like Staal just based on the genes, but he'll probably be gone if we keep our pick and don't trade up.

Old
02-23-2006, 01:44 AM
OlTimeHockey

This Staal, I've heard, may be the cream of the crop.

We need a legit first line foreward, whether it be a surefire one or a dark horse, we have to gamble on what could be a first liner instead of taking yet another third liner o join our entire prospect pool.

Old
02-23-2006, 06:12 AM
edallas

I like what I read about Bryan Little. A player with a lot of talent and character. I dont think we'll draft high enough to get Staal, but then again, there are the ping pong balls!

Old
02-23-2006, 11:18 AM
blitzkriegs

Somewhere NYI need to draft a goalie for depth purposes. If not, then seek out an undrafted player similar to how NYI acquired Doobie.

NYI should take the best player available. The obvious needs are defense and skilled forwards.

Old
02-23-2006, 01:57 PM
CosmoKramer

vCash:
What this team has is too many mediocore players and underachievers as well as overachievers + streaky players which all teams have but we seem to have more of them. The question will be who is dealt and what can we do to dump some deadwood and maybe sign a #1 or 2 dman and maybe work on getting staal somehow. Id like to see some size and toughness and a real blue chipper added because it looks like even in the minors we dont have that guy,some b+ but again who knows hopefully they will make a's. The d is still not to bad considering the long haul with gervais,campoli, and oneill.

Old
02-23-2006, 08:40 PM
islandermaniac

isles should do whatever it takes to land johnson. if that's not possible, staal or toews are next on my hit list. trade the first pick and a roster player (perhaps a hunter, young and cheap...gotta give to get...and to get johnson it would have to be even more).

Last edited by islandermaniac: 02-23-2006 at 08:49 PM.
Old
02-24-2006, 06:43 AM
TheRedressor

if the isles land Staal lol imagine the rivalry

Marc Staal Vs Jordan Staal. HAHA

don't forget about Jared Staal in the 2009 draft!

Old
02-24-2006, 08:38 AM
Killer Carlson

I would love to get Staal, personally, but I hear ya, Seph, when you said that about the 'better brother'! Brett Lindros is the obvious one of course, but Monty Trottier also comes to mind!

No matter what, I hope the NYI have a draft party somewhere again! I went a few years ago and it was a whole lot of fun!

Old
02-24-2006, 08:58 AM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson
I would love to get Staal, personally, but I hear ya, Seph, when you said that about the 'better brother'! Brett Lindros is the obvious one of course, but Monty Trottier also comes to mind!
Don't forget Jean Potvin. Or Cory Stillman (ok, he was a cousin, not a brother!).

Old
02-24-2006, 09:05 AM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Don't forget Jean Potvin. Or Cory Stillman (ok, he was a cousin, not a brother!).
Yeah, I was going to go with Jean Potvin, too, but he was probably more of a legit player than Monty!

Old
02-24-2006, 09:05 AM
Seph

Quote:
Wait, the Cory Stillmans are related? I hope Cory is traditional family name or something, otherwise that's the least creative family ever.

Old
02-24-2006, 12:01 PM
BMOK33

We always make good draft picks so I'm not too worried who they decide to take, fortunately without Mike around anymore I think we're good in them not being traded.

Old
02-25-2006, 12:41 AM
CosmoKramer

vCash:
Why not a true elite scorer? Palffy was the last game breaker we drafted over 10 years ago. Try to get staal somehow someway.

Last edited by CosmoKramer: 02-25-2006 at 03:01 PM.

Closed Thread