HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Analizing the "trade Salo" idea

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2003, 08:37 AM
H-Bear

vCash: 500
Analizing the "trade Salo" idea

There have been several threads in the past little while about trading Salo. In order for a Salo trade to work, both teams have to be happy with the trade. To make EDM happy, we would want to dump Salo, and get a #1 goalie in return, or make two seperate deals and use Comrie or Rita as our bait to get the #1 goalie in return. From the perspective of the team receiving Salo, we have to consider several things: 1) Is the team happy with their current goaltending (or, at least, is Salo an upgrade on their goaltending?)? 2) Can the team afford Salo's salary ($3.8 ish this year?)? 3) What does the team have to offer EDM in return?

Let us analyse question #1: teams who are happy with their current goaltending:
Anaheim - happy
Atlanta - Salo might fit here; can Nurminen keep it up? Salo could be the workhorse until Lethonen is ready.
Boston - Salo might be an upgrade here; but they seem happy with Raycroft.
Buffalo - set in goal.
Calgary - stuck with Turek.
Carolina - Salo MAY be an upgrade over Weekes, but it's very debatable.
Chicago - set with Thibault.
Colorado - Salo would most certainly be an upgrade.
Columbus - Denis is doing just fine.
Dallas - happy.
Detroit - Haskek/Cujo/Legace/Liv - enough said
Florida - good tandem.
Los Angeles - happy.
Minnesota - I could thrive in nets for this team; they seem happy with Rolo and Manny.
Montreal - happy.
Nashville - happy.
NJ - very happy.
NYI - DiPietro and Snow seem to be doing the job.
NYR - too many goalies already.
Ottawa - happy.
Philly - Might be a fit if Hackett gets hurt.
Phoenix - happy.
Pittsburgh - very young tandem; could have a use for Salo.
San Jose - happy.
St. Louis - if Osgood goes down, they could be buyers; big time.
Tampa Bay - happy.
Toronto - happy now.
Vancouver - happy.
Washington - happy.

Let's carry on to analyse question #2 (can the team afford Salo?) with the teams that passed question #1:
Atlanta - money doesn't seem to be a problem here.
Boston - a super cheap owner, but if we took some salary back, should be a non-issue.
Carolina - money doesn't seem to be a problem here.
Colorado - money doesn't seem to be a problem here.
Philly - money doesn't seem to be a problem here.
Pittsburgh - Not going to touch a near $4 million contract.
St. Louis - money doesn't seem to be a problem here.

Now, let's analyse #3; what the remaining teams have to offer (or are will to give up for Salo):
Atlanta - Salo could very well land us a nice talent like Steffan, but with two goalies there already, one of Daffoe/Nurminen would have to come back (most likely Daffoe). I'm not so sure EDM would want Daffoe.
Boston - a trade here would most certainly involve Potvin, as Boston would not want two high-priced goalies on the payroll. Not a good fit here.
Carolina - I very much doubt Carolina would have any interest in Salo, but this team has plenty to offer EDM in return if they want. Vasicek, Weekes, Markov, etc. Again, I don't think CAR makes a trade here, as Weekes - Salo is a lateral move.
Colorado - ignoring the whole division thing, what does this team have to offer in terms of talent that would help us out now? Skoula perhaps?
Philly - plenty to offer us for Salo, but would they be willing to part with one of their talented youngsters (Woywitka, Williams, etc) for Salo? I doubt it.
St. Louis - not much to offer us here. Cajanek and Sejna are interesting.

Finally, let's look at the possible deals, and be realistic in our options:
ATL: Salo, chump change
EDM: Daffoe, Steffan
Probability of happening: Low - EDM would be left with terrible goaltending (on a deffensively poor team), and would be forced to deal Comrie to someone who is willing to give up a #1 goalie.

CAR: Salo, chump change
EDM: Weekes or Vasicek
Probability of happening: Nill - CAR as little reason to deal for a goalie.

COL: Salo
EDM: Skoula
Probability of happening: Nill - dealing to a division rival is like shooting yourself in the foot; it's never a good idea.

Philly: Salo, chump change
EDM: Williams
Probability of happening: Low - Clarke seems to be holding on very tightly to his youth; great plan if you ask me.

STL: Salo, chump change
EDM: Cajanek or Sejna
Probability of happening: Medium - the only chance this trade would ever happen is if Osgood goes down for an expended period of time; even then, STL seems happy with promoting from within.

After it's all said and done, we are left with a lot of no chances, a handfull of highly doubt its, and three maybes (ATL, Philly, STL). I think it's time to face the fact that Salo is here until his contract expires; whether you like it or not.

Old
10-24-2003, 09:22 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Well thats good - We won't get a goalie who has the ability of Tommy if we do deal Salo, so I say let's keep the fingers crossed on this one for a while longer. It wouldn't KILL me to see him with the Avs (they are my second fav. contender)

Old
10-24-2003, 09:44 AM
jadeddog

the thing that really pisses me off, is that salo "can be" a very good goalie at times (though he hasnt yet this year or most of last year).... so i dont really want to see him get traded because he might come back to bite us, and (beause hes played so poorly lately) we wouldnt get ANYWHERE CLOSE to good value for him in return

i would also like to see edmonton hang on to him until either conks or deslauriers proves they can be a legit starter in the NHL, and neither has proven that yet..... but the SECOND that happens ill be a very happy person to see salo either let go or shipped out of town

Old
10-24-2003, 10:04 AM
xauxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
the thing that really pisses me off, is that salo "can be" a very good goalie at times (though he hasnt yet this year or most of last year).... so i dont really want to see him get traded because he might come back to bite us, and (beause hes played so poorly lately) we wouldnt get ANYWHERE CLOSE to good value for him in return

i would also like to see edmonton hang on to him until either conks or deslauriers proves they can be a legit starter in the NHL, and neither has proven that yet..... but the SECOND that happens ill be a very happy person to see salo either let go or shipped out of town
Salo has been on the way down since after Olympic. The same pattern since...a few good games, then a LOT of bad games..By the end, it is a failure. His performance is getting worse over time. Tommy was better this time of last year and ended up a bad year. From this pattern, I have very little doubt that he ever gains his form as the fans and coaches expected. It is a rediculous to claim the failure of the whole team on the goalie, but who would have said that Salo is playing this bad 2 or 3 years ago. Salo has gained too much trust at the coaching staff that his mistakes could be overlooked, but not too long. I remember when Branford took the starting job, people were so worried about his performance, but then he lead Oilers to the cup. One of the goalie at Oilers farm teams can repeat the history, I hope. And of course with the expense of Salo.

Old
10-24-2003, 12:50 PM
Master Lok

Great post and analysis!

Closed Thread