HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Roy as coach

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2006, 10:51 PM
The n00b King ©*

vCash: 500
Patrick Roy as coach

Awright, so here's what i have been thinking...

We know that Roy is the GM/Coach for the junior team.

I believe he has mentioned in the past that he's been wanting to get closer to the organization once again (although with Pierre Boivin on board im somehow not convinced this will ever happen).

Do you believe that Roy may eventually be proposed a coaching job in Montreal? Or heck, even the job of GM one day?

I know that Roy always had the "we MUST win every game" kind of attitude and he doesnt take losses well (hence why he retired from Colorado as he said the team had lost that kind of mentality, accepting defeat instead of fighting adversity).

I dont know how good of a job he's doing with his team, but it makes me wonder if he'll ever decide to coach at the NHL level...potentially the Habs...it would be interesting none the less.

Old
02-22-2006, 10:59 PM
Namso

roy as much as i like him has a way of burning bridges. he recently criticized pierre boivin so i don't expect him with the habs any time soon.

Though he does make one good q coach. Though its easier when he has radulov and esposito on his team.

Old
02-22-2006, 11:04 PM
The n00b King ©*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso
roy as much as i like him has a way of burning bridges. he recently criticized pierre boivin so i don't expect him with the habs any time soon.

Though he does make one good q coach. Though its easier when he has radulov and esposito on his team.
that's what i meant about him not being able to get closer to the habs, since he criticized Boivin recently.

I still think one day he'll get his shot at it.

Old
02-22-2006, 11:19 PM
KOVALEV10*

I dont want that ******* to ever take part in any shape or form of the habs organisation. Anybody who sais they would never put a habs jersey ever again for the rest of their life deserves a big slap in the face. On top of that he's overrated. Of his 18 year career half the years he's pretty much sucked.

Old
02-22-2006, 11:41 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

I disagree with Kovalev on the fact Roy is overrated or has sucked.. that being said, I agree with the rest of his comment. Roy disgraced the organization by doing what he did on that fateful day in 95. His jersey shouldn't be hung along with those of dedicated lifelong habs players like Béliveau and co nor should he ever hold any position of any sort with the habs in the future.

It's got nothing to do with his abilities or potential as a coach/GM (I see him more as a GM in the future) but rather with the fact that he shouldn't be allowed to represent this team in any fashion after leaving it to die the way he did.

It's a bit weird that I say this because I don't blame him for wanting out after Tremblay and Houle were made coach and gm. But he should never get a free pass on it either.

Old
02-23-2006, 01:41 AM
Live Forever

Patrick pulls Carey Price after the 9th goal he allowed against the Red Wings...Price is embarressed in front of the Home Crowd...Patrick stares him down as though Carey is only to blame for the 9-1 deficit...Carey momentarily takes a seat on the bench and then walks to Boivin and let's him know that he just played his last game as a Hab...

Old
02-23-2006, 07:10 AM
bazz

He's doing a good job!
I saw him in Halifax and he was always standing on top of the bench trying to see every possible play..he was right into it..

Old
02-23-2006, 07:17 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Forever
Patrick pulls Carey Price after the 9th goal he allowed against the Red Wings...Price is embarressed in front of the Home Crowd...Patrick stares him down as though Carey is only to blame for the 9-1 deficit...Carey momentarily takes a seat on the bench and then walks to Boivin and let's him know that he just played his last game as a Hab...
not funny mister Dynamite

Old
02-23-2006, 08:43 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't think I'd want Roy around the team. Just too volatile, you'd never know when he was going to pull a Milbury on you. Gainey's current crew might not seem very exciting, but I trust their patient (over-patient?) reserved approach more than I would Roy. Just an impression.

Old
02-23-2006, 09:35 AM
LeHab

Roy as a coach in Montreal ? Lets see...

-Does he speak French ? check.
-Does he lack experience as a NHL coach ? check
-Is he a friend of the "family" ? check

No further qualifications required, we have a future coach.

Old
02-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Forever
this is a spooky look into a possible future.

There is a grain of truth here.... Roy is an emotional man, as is Tremblay. Roy's emotions have gotten the better of him in the past...and maybe again in the future.

Old
02-23-2006, 01:08 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²
I disagree with Kovalev on the fact Roy is overrated or has sucked.. that being said, I agree with the rest of his comment. Roy disgraced the organization by doing what he did on that fateful day in 95. His jersey shouldn't be hung along with those of dedicated lifelong habs players like Béliveau and co nor should he ever hold any position of any sort with the habs in the future.

It's got nothing to do with his abilities or potential as a coach/GM (I see him more as a GM in the future) but rather with the fact that he shouldn't be allowed to represent this team in any fashion after leaving it to die the way he did.

It's a bit weird that I say this because I don't blame him for wanting out after Tremblay and Houle were made coach and gm. But he should never get a free pass on it either.

Time has healed many wounds for me and I've come to realize that we would have no cup since the late 70's if Roy was never a hab.

Tremblay is gone, Houle is gone, Corey is gone, and Roy is more than retired. I say lets bury the hatchet.

Old
02-23-2006, 02:11 PM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett
Time has healed many wounds for me and I've come to realize that we would have no cup since the late 70's if Roy was never a hab.

Tremblay is gone, Houle is gone, Corey is gone, and Roy is more than retired. I say lets bury the hatchet.
Patrick Roy is a winner, will remain a winner

he is taking some experience ( probably some maturity too) in the Q and would be a very good coach, despite I would prefer to see him in GM functions
He is respected all around the league ( so is gainey )

I'd like to see him in the organization, but it will be in 4-5 years, he still has a lot to prove in the Q before taking the step to the nhl...

Old
02-23-2006, 04:04 PM
justsomeguy

Patrick Roy as coach or GM of the Habs? Not in his lifetime.

Old
02-23-2006, 04:08 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz
He's doing a good job!
I saw him in Halifax and he was always standing on top of the bench trying to see every possible play..he was right into it..
sorry, was this sarcastic? isn't every coach supposed to be doing this?

Old
02-23-2006, 04:56 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:

To explain it with a poor analogy, it's not because you have forgiven an ex that cheated on you that you go back with her.

Old
02-23-2006, 05:01 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
I dont want that ******* to ever take part in any shape or form of the habs organisation. Anybody who sais they would never put a habs jersey ever again for the rest of their life deserves a big slap in the face. On top of that he's overrated. Of his 18 year career half the years he's pretty much sucked.
He was speaking out of emotion; something you should be used to seeing as this is the Habs' board.

And to say he sucked half of his career? Please. (One of) the best ever.

Old
02-23-2006, 07:14 PM
The n00b King ©*

i know Roy's an emotional kinda guy, but i think this is just what we need....

I mean Julien never showed emotion, never showed that he cared, words are cheap, actions speak for themselves.

He would command respect from the players, cuz i mean this is Roy, not Julien...

If he can keep himself under control and not make Therrien kind of mistakes, i think he could potentially end up behind the bench one day...heck maybe even after Carbonneau. We all know Montreal coaches dont last long....

Old
02-23-2006, 07:29 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin_goon
i know Roy's an emotional kinda guy, but i think this is just what we need....

I mean Julien never showed emotion, never showed that he cared, words are cheap, actions speak for themselves.

He would command respect from the players, cuz i mean this is Roy, not Julien...

If he can keep himself under control and not make Therrien kind of mistakes, i think he could potentially end up behind the bench one day...heck maybe even after Carbonneau. We all know Montreal coaches dont last long....

Carbo will stay as long as Gainey stays.
As for Roy he has a better chance at being the coach in Colorado.

Old
02-24-2006, 12:16 PM
oli500

Carbo will be coaching this team for a very long time. One of the reasons were incosistant every season, (one good season one bad season) is because were unstable behind the bench. Carbo is the right man to bring this organisation some stability. He would of never left dallas if he fought his coaching job would only last one our two season in montreal. carbo is here to stay. this team in the not so long future will have a identity like many of the top franchise in the league.

this being said I would love roy back in this organisation. I would love him as GM. This is guy is respected by everyone and with a winning personality like roy we could attract the very best hockey players in the league once again. Alot of people Idiolisized roy growing up. If we would have the chance of landing roy as gm and we dont because of what transpired in the past it would be stupid in my opinion. These type of people only come urond once in a life time, he could instantly change the image of this franchise.

man I would love a carbo roy duo.

Old
02-24-2006, 01:30 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²
To explain it with a poor analogy, it's not because you have forgiven an ex that cheated on you that you go back with her.
I simply said I would bury the hatchet. That means all his forgiven. Just because you forgive your ex girlfriend, it doesnt mean you want to hook up with her again. It just means you have moved on.

Old
02-24-2006, 02:21 PM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb45
He was speaking out of emotion; something you should be used to seeing as this is the Habs' board.

And to say he sucked half of his career? Please. (One of) the best ever.
When guys like Hayward and Racicot and other stupid hab goalies had better stats then he did some years as well as Aebisher in his colorado days you know he is overrated a little in terms of leadership and the winner thing just like Messier.

Old
02-24-2006, 02:26 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
I simply said I would bury the hatchet. That means all his forgiven. Just because you forgive your ex girlfriend, it doesnt mean you want to hook up with her again. It just means you have moved on.
Exactly, people have moved on, they dont want Roy part of this organization.

Old
02-24-2006, 03:17 PM
Nols

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
When guys like Hayward and Racicot and other stupid hab goalies had better stats then he did some years as well as Aebisher in his colorado days you know he is overrated a little in terms of leadership and the winner thing just like Messier.
You can't be serious. I suppose Jaques Plante, Ken Dryden, Dominic Hasek and Vladislav Tretiak were all bad goalie too then.

I don't see how you can say Roy was a bad leader and goaltender. All time winningest goalie of all time, 4 Stanley Cups and 3 Smyths speak volumes more than stats do. Best Playoff goalie of all time.

Old
02-24-2006, 03:44 PM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nols
You can't be serious. I suppose Jaques Plante, Ken Dryden, Dominic Hasek and Vladislav Tretiak were all bad goalie too then.

I don't see how you can say Roy was a bad leader and goaltender. All time winningest goalie of all time, 4 Stanley Cups and 3 Smyths speak volumes more than stats do. Best Playoff goalie of all time.
I never said Roy was a bad leader or goalie. Roy was great obviously. I'm just saying he's a little overrated which is true. People forget or haven't seen the 3 seasons after his first cup run where he was awful as well as the last two years in montreal and a couple years in Colorado where Aebisher had better numbers. Not to mention the ammount of bad 5 hole goals the guy has allowed and yes he has done this in the playoffs too. People only have his 2 cups runs images in their heads and forget how awful he was in other years. Allowing 7 goals in game 7 of the conference finals and you're telling me he's the greatest?

Closed Thread