HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Ryder or not?

View Poll Results: Would you be ready to trade Ryder?
Yes 28 19.86%
No 97 68.79%
Not Sure 16 11.35%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2006, 11:53 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Trade Ryder or not?

Some might say I'm crazy but anyway...

I like Michael Ryder. He's good, cheap and young. He's also our "best" sniper right now. Normaly, Kovalev should be in front of him but that's another story.

In 56 games, Ryder has 23 goals( 11 ESG and 12 PP ) and 13 assists...good for 36 points. He's in a slump right now so it's hard to predict how many goals he will end the season with...

We all know that Ryder's main asset is his shot. He has a hard accurate wrist shot with a fast release. He's also strong and he can easily play physical. Has great hands and sometimes, he can pull a nice deke to get to the net.

But he's also not the fastest skater around. He's far from slow...I guess he's an average skater after all. He can pass the puck but he's far from a playmaker...he's also pretty bad defensively and he cost us a couple of game this year.

Bottom line, I see Ryder as a great PP guy who will score many goals without helping the team as much as other players. IMO, he will not become better than he is right now. He will be a constant 30 goals scorer who will mainly help you on the PP.

And we have many young players who might have a big impact with us pretty soon. I wouldn't be worried to lose Ryder for another top 6 foward...

That's why I would be ready to trade him for the right return. We are not in a hurry to dump him for sure because he's one of our good player. But if we can package him with another player, a prospect or a pick to land a better player who isn't old and who would give more to our team, maybe we should do it. I don't have any names but there's probably some interesting players available around the league.

So, would you be ready to trade Ryder?

Last edited by Freaky Habs Fan: 02-22-2006 at 11:59 PM.
Old
02-22-2006, 11:58 PM
kevinr

I can't honestly think if a single reason to trade him? Why would you want to? I'll never understand people that want to get rid of talent. If everything you listed as an asset is true about him then keep him for Pete's sake.

Old
02-23-2006, 12:03 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinr
I can't honestly think if a single reason to trade him? Why would you want to? I'll never understand people that want to get rid of talent. If everything you listed as an asset is true about him then keep him for Pete's sake.
For the future of the team, I think we should try to get a better player...I'm not really impressed by him. IMO, Perezhogin will be a better player because he always create some scoring chances. Also, I feel that Kostitsyn will be a better Ryder...somewhere between Ryder and Kovalev. So yeah, he will probably be better.

But imagine a Bell for Ryder deal...it would probably make the Habs a better team. But that's my opinion.

Old
02-23-2006, 12:31 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
For the future of the team, I think we should try to get a better player...I'm not really impressed by him. IMO, Perezhogin will be a better player because he always create some scoring chances. Also, I feel that Kostitsyn will be a better Ryder...somewhere between Ryder and Kovalev. So yeah, he will probably be better.

But imagine a Bell for Ryder deal...it would probably make the Habs a better team. But that's my opinion.
Perezhogin and Kostitsyn are better skilled and have a higher upside, but out of the 3 players Ryder is the natural and more gifted goal scorer and has proven he can play the NHL game already where both players you have mentioned are still trying to develop their game and still haven't made the team 100% as of yet.

Why people want to trade proven youth that can play and athat are assets to the team puzzles me.

Keeping players like the players above and ridding ourselves of the Ribeiro's and Zednik's of the Montreal organization makes more sense to move forward instead of sideways or even backwards.

Old
02-23-2006, 12:42 AM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Why people want to trade proven youth that can play and athat are assets to the team puzzles me.
They're probably not used of having such players in the organisation, Ryder was the first ray of sunshine to shine on this team in a decade.

Old
02-23-2006, 12:43 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

For a good return, sure.

Old
02-23-2006, 01:13 AM
Rayne*

Let's not. We're not gonna get anything better for him, so why bother?

Old
02-23-2006, 01:18 AM
RedArmyMontreal*

While he is in a little slump right now, he has been our most consistant goal scorer for the last 2 seasons and you want to trade him? He's cheap, healthy, still young and you want to trade him when we have difficulty scoring 2 goals a game?

Old
02-23-2006, 01:20 AM
habkid73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan

this HAS to be a joke,,,are you a leafs fan?

Old
02-23-2006, 02:37 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by habkid73
this HAS to be a joke,,,are you a leafs fan?
No! Not at all...but Im not saying that we should put Ryder on waivers...I would be ready to trade him FOR ANOTHER GOOD YOUNG PLAYER WHO IS MORE COMPLETE AND WHO WOULD BE ABLE TO DO MORE FOR THE TEAM...besides scoring, Ryder cant do much for us...

Do you see my point now?

Old
02-23-2006, 06:56 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
For a good return, sure.
Exactly--I think anyone will agree that a good GM is prepared to trade any player at any point for the right price, so I'm not really sure about the question.

Old
02-23-2006, 08:40 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

People can say "for the right price" all they want, but I don't know how many "for the right price" deals there will ever be in the NHL anymore. Everything comes down to $$$ and headaches. You could trade Ryder for an impending-UFA rental. Or for a big stupid contract player. You could trade him for some guy who is in some kind of feud with his coach or something. Those are the kind of ways you might get a "better" player. At least on paper. No other GM is going to give us something clearly better than our cheap young 30-goal scorer. So it's a moot point. Now, maybe you get some kind of genius insight from the scouting staff that says Joe Ahlsville is suddenly going to blossom into an NHL star and nobody else around the league knows it... but even then, you get Ahlsville some other way, not by trading Ryder for him.

Old
02-23-2006, 08:46 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Yeah I dont like the idea of trading Ryder either, but would you guys do it for a say.... Jokinen isn return?

Old
02-23-2006, 09:23 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
People can say "for the right price" all they want, but I don't know how many "for the right price" deals there will ever be in the NHL anymore. Everything comes down to $$$ and headaches. You could trade Ryder for an impending-UFA rental. Or for a big stupid contract player. You could trade him for some guy who is in some kind of feud with his coach or something. Those are the kind of ways you might get a "better" player. At least on paper. No other GM is going to give us something clearly better than our cheap young 30-goal scorer. So it's a moot point. Now, maybe you get some kind of genius insight from the scouting staff that says Joe Ahlsville is suddenly going to blossom into an NHL star and nobody else around the league knows it... but even then, you get Ahlsville some other way, not by trading Ryder for him.
All I am saying is, to me, the only thing that is "moot" is the idea that anybody would decide to trade a player before they know the return. I don't even like surprises at birthdays, for crying out loud.

Since we are only dealing in hypotheticals here, there's no point in suggesting that no GM is going to give us something better, since we don't know that until we hear the offer. If I'm GM of the Canadiens and another GM calls me to ask if I "want" to trade Ryder, my response would simply be "No I do not. But if you are going to offer something for him, I'll turn down the REO Speedwagon in my headphones for a sec" (just thinking of a soundtrack to the image of Gainey's 80s mop here).

Old
02-23-2006, 09:29 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordchezz
Yeah I dont like the idea of trading Ryder either, but would you guys do it for a say.... Jokinen isn return?
Maybe, but Im not sure of his age/contract status...

Old
02-23-2006, 09:33 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik
Maybe, but Im not sure of his age/contract status...

29 UFA I think?

Old
02-23-2006, 09:35 AM
Marchy79

I wouldnt trade Ryder...
But I would/could listen to the offers here and there... It'd have to be a good one to sway me over.

Right now... I'd honestly be willing to part with
Ribeiro, Sundstrom, Zednik, Dagenais, Streit, and perhaps Bonk (but I'm still thinking he may heat up good, and be sharp down the stretch).

I'd be hoping for a Center, preferably second line, and a top 4 right d.

Old
02-23-2006, 09:37 AM
sveiglar

The Devs will give you Kozlov... look how awesome he's been at the Olympics.

Old
02-23-2006, 09:40 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordchezz
29 UFA I think?
In that case, probably not. I think (though very generally speaking) that I'd only be really inclined to trade Ryder for someone of comparable age and quality, and who we don't have to worry about locking up. That or maybe a younger unproven prospect but with more upside (pref. a blueliner, but I know the likelihood of that).

Old
02-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Matrix

You just can't trade since he scores while the others don't. And it's not Rocket Bulis who can replace him either. I wish we had 20 guys who play hard all the time, for 60 minutes, that bang and give it all on the ice but we must realize that it can happen and then you'll realize that since it can't happen, it's better to have a sniper than not having him.

But since it always depends on who you'll get......

Old
02-23-2006, 09:49 AM
AH

Ryder is no longer going to be cheap after this season. He will likely get $2+ million on a 3 or 4 year deal. If the right deal comes along, he is expendable AFTER this season.

Old
02-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik
Since we are only dealing in hypotheticals here, there's no point in suggesting that no GM is going to give us something better, since we don't know that until we hear the offer.
Sure, it goes without saying (or even with saying) that you never really know what's going to happen. And like everybody said ever since Hollywood Gretzky, anybody can be traded. So if you want to deal in hypotheticals and speculate on low-probability outcomes, that's fair game. Anything can happen, anything can be listened to. I'm just saying that I would generally prefer not to waste my own "precious posting time" speculating on it (I'd rather waste my time argrueeing* the semantics of it all I guess! ).

Ryder could be traded. For the right price. However exceedingly unlikely it is that such a "right price" would ever be offered. So could Koivu or Markov. So could Gainey himself, I guess. The whole league could be sold to that company that wanted to buy them during the lockout for $100B, and they could decide to hold a dispersal draft of all players and move the team to Seattle. (Which might also make the question of trading Ryder moot!). But I'm not going to spend much time speculating on those hypotheticals either.

*(argrueeing = arguing + agreeing at the same time)

Old
02-23-2006, 10:48 AM
hab

I say keep the guy....unless a big name player becomes availiable, wich does happen every once and a while, ie. thorton,even though boston would not trade him to us, heatley, who I do think we could have put an offer in for , and I am sure ryder would have looked good to atlanta with a couple of others thrown in , ect.

I do like ryder, but he will never be a star player, and if we can trade him to get one , I say go for it.

Old
02-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH
Ryder is no longer going to be cheap after this season. He will likely get $2+ million on a 3 or 4 year deal. If the right deal comes along, he is expendable AFTER this season.
so what IF Ryder gets 2 million + next season. are you paying him, is it your money?

Ryder is part of the Habs' future, no way BG trades him. I'm really getting sick of people who want to trade all our younger guys.
it's our future, lets build on it

Old
02-23-2006, 10:54 AM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
so what IF Ryder gets 2 million + next season. are you paying him, is it your money?

Ryder is part of the Habs' future, no way BG trades him
What kind of a post is that ? Of course it's not my money, but it is my team, and I care how the $$$ are spent.

I am just pointing out that he is no longer a cheap player. He will be making good coin in a cap world. Money that perhaps could be better uses elsewhere. At the same time I am not advocating just trading him for a bag of pucks.

Don't tell me I had to spell it out for you

Closed Thread