HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who to start in net after break

View Poll Results: Who will start in net after the Olympic break?
Lundqvist 43 53.75%
Weekes 37 46.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2006, 05:24 AM
bigblue21

vCash: 500
Who to start in net after break

With all the concern about our players being fatigued, and with two more games for Sweden (which Lundqvist will clearly start both), should Weekes start the first game after break? Keep in mind that Lundqvist has now adjusted to the larger sheet and it might take him a day or two to get used to the NHL size again.

Old
02-23-2006, 05:34 AM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by njranger21
With all the concern about our players being fatigued, and with two more games for Sweden (which Lundqvist will clearly start both), should Weekes start the first game after break? Keep in mind that Lundqvist has now adjusted to the larger sheet and it might take him a day or two to get used to the NHL size again.

I would start Weekes.

Old
02-23-2006, 06:04 AM
Gozer

I think you could start Lundqvist. It's not like sweden have matched him to death.

Old
02-23-2006, 06:27 AM
TheRedressor

Start Lundqvist, we are playing Philly

Old
02-23-2006, 07:08 AM
Scotty Hockey

I can't believe I did it but I voted for Weekes. Give Henrik a little rest, can't have him tired and falling apart come playoffs ...

Old
02-23-2006, 07:28 AM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstranged
I can't believe I did it but I voted for Weekes. Give Henrik a little rest, can't have him tired and falling apart come playoffs ...
I would give Lundy the games against Philly and Jersey. After that Let Weekes get 3 in a row.

After that go back to normal

Lunqvist play 3

Weekes play 1

Old
02-23-2006, 08:51 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief
Start Lundqvist, we are playing Philly
Imagine Nitty vs. Henke for gold, if it happens, then coming right back with the same pairing next Thursday.

I'm torn on who to start. You'd think Renney would want to get Weekes in one of those first 2 games since they're both on the road. I'm lukewarm on seeing him face PHI or NJD though. CAR at home doesn't seem like an option either.

Old
02-23-2006, 09:37 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Imagine Nitty vs. Henke for gold, if it happens, then coming right back with the same pairing next Thursday.

I'm torn on who to start. You'd think Renney would want to get Weekes in one of those first 2 games since they're both on the road. I'm lukewarm on seeing him face PHI or NJD though. CAR at home doesn't seem like an option either.
I would start him at Philly and get it over with. Give Henke some more time to readjust himself and a bit of a breather from the Olympics and the travel.

Old
02-23-2006, 09:41 AM
BLACKBURN

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
I would start him at Philly and get it over with. Give Henke some more time to readjust himself and a bit of a breather from the Olympics and the travel.
Agreed, I think one game will not make a huge difference and Weekes has to play some games, resting Lundy for a couple of days will do no long term damage at all.

Old
02-23-2006, 10:02 AM
Jackson Ranger

You start Lundquist against Philly. The final game (if they get that far) is Sunday. If they lose tomorrow, it's on Saturday. The Flyer game is on Thursday. I would think three days (or four days) rest is plenty for a young goaltender.

Because the schedule is compressed when they get back, I would look at giving him a rest, but not for the first couple of games.

Old
02-23-2006, 10:06 AM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
You absolutely start Weekes. Lundqvist will be coming off the "high" of the Olympics especially if Sweden wins gold. He'll need some time to get adjusted, and more importantly rest.

Old
02-23-2006, 10:19 AM
Fletch

Lundqvist, no question...

First, the Rangers are playing Philly. If that ain't reason enough, you want to begin the 'second' season how you ended the last one, and that was winning. To do that, you go with your best players. Lundqvist will not be tired. And while some may feel he's on an Olympic high, the best way to come off that high is ride it into the transition - not sit on the bench watching someone else. My guess is that Lundvist's schedule will be tight, likely starting against Philly, Jersey and Carolina (on Thursday, Saturday and Tuesday, respectively). He then rests against Atlanta, starts again, and rests again against Atlanta on the 12th. This all changes if there's sign of fatigue - but at least against Philly, there should be zero, since there are four days between the Gold medal game and the Philly game. That's ample time to adjust to the time zone, rest a bit, and get back into things.

Old
02-23-2006, 10:19 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan
You absolutely start Weekes. Lundqvist will be coming off the "high" of the Olympics especially if Sweden wins gold. He'll need some time to get adjusted, and more importantly rest.
What if they lose and he isn't "high"? If they lose and knowing how much of a competitor he is, I would think he'd like to get going to help the Rangers.

If they win, he has three days to come down from his "high".

I don't agree that he'll be tired after having some time off.

Old
02-23-2006, 11:06 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Start Lundqvist.

In case the non-believers forgot let me remind you.....

The Rangers have 78 points are in first place and if they beat Philly they will be 5 points in first place. If the Rangers can keep up the pace they had all season long they can not only win the East but win the Presidents Trophy.

Not to bad for a rebuilding team.

Or as i like to say a rebuilt team.

Old
02-23-2006, 11:25 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
lundqvist. we are playing the flyers. then id play weekes against new jersey

Old
02-23-2006, 11:35 AM
broadwayblue

lundqvist all the way. he's our best shot in Philly. 3 days is enough rest for him anyway.

Old
02-23-2006, 12:37 PM
eco's bones

All things being even I'd go with Lundqvist. We have to seriously be thinking about first in front of Philly if at all possible. What better way than in a 4 point head to head against them you play your best goalie? Unless Lundqvist is worn out after this tournament I don't see a good reason for playing Weekes.

Old
02-23-2006, 01:57 PM
GarretJoseph*

An over-worked Hanks or a rusty Weeks.... :-/

Old
02-23-2006, 02:04 PM
Fletch

Why is Lundqvist...

overworked? And he will get at least four days' rest between his last Olympic game and the Rangers' first game.

Old
02-23-2006, 02:12 PM
Choice

Weekes. It's worth extending Henke's break two more days, and you've got to have faith he can keep us in the game against Philly.

Plus there are three more games against the Flyers after that, so it's not like this is the end all.

Old
02-23-2006, 02:18 PM
Lundqvist102

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
Weekes, its not as if hes played like crap lately, I think he will give us a good shot of winning. Let Hank take a couple days off

Old
02-23-2006, 02:24 PM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011
lundqvist. we are playing the flyers. then id play weekes against new jersey
I voted Weekes, but there are some pretty good arguments I agree with for Lundqvist. Play Lundy the first game back so hopefully we can get back into our winning ways, and depending on how he plays, rest him against NJ.

Old
02-23-2006, 02:31 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I'd personally start Lundqvist but I think Renney will go with Weekes since he hasn't played in a game in so long.

Old
02-23-2006, 02:32 PM
Fletch

I really think...

the overworked issues are a bit overblown. Come next Thursday, he would've started, what, six more games than the average bear (although heading into the Olympics, he played 215 minutes less than Hasek; almost 4 full games)? I agree he's going to need his rest, but it shouldn't matter if it's now (i.e., Thursday) or later and thereafter. Four days should be enough rest to recover from an extra couple games, and to recover from jet lag - as it will be for the rest of the players. I am sensitive to over-playing him, and understand that there are more games against Philly, but I think it's important to start the momentum building from day 1 and begin to distance the Rangers from Philly, and the best way to do that is to have the best guys playing. Plus, you don't want to give a guy too long of a rest either - the Rangers have an advantage over several teams because many of their players will be coming back with little rust, and still in game shape. That's an advantage that should be used to build this momentum.

Old
02-23-2006, 02:33 PM
Avery316
guilty as charged

start henke because of how he's done against philly and how bad weekes has done against them, then get weekes in for a few games after that to build confidence in to the playoffs.

Closed Thread