HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Modano rips USA Hockey

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2006, 05:17 AM
Islanders4Cups

vCash: 500
Modano rips USA Hockey

NY Times (you will need to register so I copied some portions of it)

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/23/sp...=1&oref=slogin

Quote:
"But when Modano started getting specific, his concerns sounded superficial, the complaints of so many millionaire professional athletes. "Basically, we were on our own as far as arrangements, flights, hotels, tickets," Modano said. "Normally, that's something you don't have to think about. That's something that should be taken care of, so we don't have to worry about it."
My respect for Modano takes a hit with these happenings if they are all in fact true.
The US Olympic team's performance overall was an emarrassment but not as bad as Nagano. Maybe it;s time for the amateurs to take over. They at least will be inspired.

Last edited by Holly Gunning: 02-23-2006 at 05:39 AM. Reason: quoted far more than copyright allows
Old
02-23-2006, 05:36 AM
NYIsles1*

They lost four games by a goal, not even close to the disgrace the team in Nagano was. Modano has no place making these public comments or excuses, win or lose and they sound like his complaining he could not feed his dog on his lockout fund.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/st...p-334028c.html
Modano goal:

whine, not win

Then, as a final dart aimed at the coach who had just benched him, Modano suggested the Americans may have lost because Laviolette called his inspirational timeout.
"We could have used (the timeout) at the end of the game, give the guys some rest," Modano said. "A little composure, a little less panic. There was 50 minutes left in the game."

Old
02-23-2006, 10:38 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
"We could have used (the timeout) at the end of the game, give the guys some rest," Modano said. "A little composure, a little less panic. There was 50 minutes left in the game."
Not defending Lavy, but the coach's mindset for taking the timeout. Maybe Team USA's self imposed spokesperson should re-evaluate his teams performance duing the first 10 minutes and see why a timeout was an aggresive pro-active move to save a game that was slowly going nowhere...

Also, is this coming from the same guy that was rested in the 3rd period because he was benched?

Modano's comments about the hotel and travel plans are superficial. If the players were left to make their own arrangements, then I'm sort of perplexed how such a thing bothers a player when the team was selected months ago. Let alone, several players, including Modano himself, knew he was going to be there at least more than a year ago. Players have agents, assistants, planners, etc. to make the 'arrangements' for them.

Maybe USA does deserve some blame. Who knows? But Modano is in a position and had more than enough knowledge/time to be proactive about making the proper arrangements BEFORE letting it become an issue - if it really is one.

Old
02-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Fantom

Modano IMO is just looking for something to blame.

Old
02-23-2006, 10:47 AM
blitzkriegs

From the article:

"The only real shame is that U.S. hockey players never know how to leave the building without sacking the joint, figuratively or literally."

Seriously, why is that each time Team USA disappoints itself there is always some stain left behind blemishing the organization and everything that surrounds the games themselves?

Nothing like enforcing the "me, me, me" and "arrogant" world view of America...

Just stand up and say "hey we disappointed." End of story.

Old
02-23-2006, 02:07 PM
CosmoKramer

vCash:
Considering must people did not even pick us to win a medal i would not even consider it a huge dissapointment by any stretch. Russias coach was quoted as saying he never saw a team get so outplayed and still win in our loss to them. I think we did ok. Was a huge changeover and we just could not finish + falling behind early all the games does not help either. If you wanna talk major dissapointment you have to look at canada because they were the favorites.

Old
02-23-2006, 03:59 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom
Modano IMO is just looking for something to blame.
100% AGREE.

how about he blame himself for not putting the puck in the net enough

Old
02-23-2006, 04:02 PM
Killer Carlson

Man, Tkachuk didn't have ONE POINT? Wow. That's awful. IMO, him and Modano have a whole lot to answer for when it comes to production.

*Yes, I know that Blake and Parrish didn't have any points either and that is terrible, too, but they aren't "NHL superstars" like Tkachuk is/was.

Old
02-23-2006, 07:55 PM
NYIsles1*

http://www.newsday.com/sports/olympi...orts-headlines

Modano skips final USA meeting

Mike Modano packed up his stuff and left Italy on Thursday morning, skipping a final meeting with his Olympic teammates after they were eliminated a night earlier in the men's hockey quarterfinals.

USA Hockey spokesman Dave Fischer said the longtime Dallas Stars forward -- who sharply criticized team management after the Americans' elimination Wednesday -- was the only member of the 23-player squad not to gather at the arena where the Americans were knocked out by Finland.

Modano caught a flight home Thursday. The rest of the team was scheduled to leave Friday morning, before the start of the weekend's medal-round games.

Old
02-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Trottier
Very Random

All I know is that NONE of this type of reaction to Olympic results - be it among players like Modano or fans (our friends north of the border are contemplating mass suicide, apparently) occured when hockey matches were played by amateurs. Sure, the elite faux-amateur Russians teams usually ran roughshod over the rest of the world (minus a notable exception), but the angst level was never so high.

Just my opinion, but it's a waste of energy really. Sports itself is a diversion, and the Olympics is a diversion from sports. Kitchy patriotism-come-fanaticism notwithstanding.

There seems to always be a need among some (players, fans, media) to point a finger, point blame. Not sure what there is to "blame" anyone for. The US Team (and the Canadian Team) came to Italy and were defeated, shut out of a medal, handily. End of story. This melodramatic shaming - especially among Canadiens - is pitiful to read.

As for the US, ripping Dipietro, Laviolette or even Modano (his stupid comments notwithstanding) for the team's outcome is akin to ripping NYI for not winning the Cup this year. A reality check is in order.

Last edited by Trottier: 02-23-2006 at 08:21 PM.
Old
02-23-2006, 08:08 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Modano is a classless jerk.

Wasn't it him who gave that now infamous quote that the lockout money was not enough to feed his dog? As a guy struggling to make his mortgage, I know I appreciated those comments.

Old
02-23-2006, 08:16 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Modano is a classless jerk.

Wasn't it him who gave that now infamous quote that the lockout money was not enough to feed his dog? As a guy struggling to make his mortgage, I know I appreciated those comments.
Must've been a huge dog.

...and you're close...
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Wor...14/628991.html

So when Team USA slunk out of the World Cup in St. Paul, Minn., a joshing reporter belatedly put it to Mike Modano that the Dallas star could probably fetch $400 a week playing in the minors.

"That wouldn't pay for my dog's food for a month," Modano told

Sometimes you have to respect a player that stays quiet.
Mitch

Old
02-23-2006, 10:39 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22
Must've been a huge dog.

...and you're close...
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Wor...14/628991.html

So when Team USA slunk out of the World Cup in St. Paul, Minn., a joshing reporter belatedly put it to Mike Modano that the Dallas star could probably fetch $400 a week playing in the minors.

"That wouldn't pay for my dog's food for a month," Modano told

Sometimes you have to respect a player that stays quiet.
Mitch
he's a pig who will get everything he deserves.

Old
02-24-2006, 08:01 AM
NYIsles1*

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....55f984ff.html

Modano: I don't want to leave it like this

Modano, when reached by phone in Texas late Thursday evening, said he was unaware of the team meeting and was later told by a teammate that it was only a gathering to receive travel information. He said Team USA general manager Don Waddell was on the same flight he was.
However, Modano was apologetic for the tone of the interview he gave after the loss to Finland. I think the timing was bad, Modano said. I was upset at the outcome and mad at what happened to me [being benched in the third period] and you walk right off the ice into the [media] mix zone, and I just let my emotions start talking.

Closed Thread