HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Islander News Articles 3/2:

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2006, 05:55 AM
NYIsles1*

vCash: 500
Islander News Articles 3/2:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ckey-headlines

ISLANDERS
Shaking off the rust after Olympic break

Those Islanders not in Turin spent yesterday afternoon at Iceworks reacquainting themselves with the game after a 10-day break, and the rust was evident.

"It's going to be a challenge," Shaw said. "It's going to be tough to step on the ice and all of a sudden turn that switch on and you have that energy level again. We saw it today, the puck skills weren't quite there, which was sort of expected. As much as the raw puck skills can leave in a hurry, so can what you build up as far as confidence and energy and all that stuff that we had so well those last few games before the break.

Alexei Zhitnik, whose ankle sprain kept him from competing for Russia, skated briefly yesterday.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/64052.htm

SHAW: RICK'S TURIN UP

Calling DiPietro "the most important guy over there for us," Shaw is hoping the flashes of brilliance the young goalie had in Turin can carry over to the rest of the regular season.

"I thought his focus was good, I think he took a big stride as a hockey player," Shaw said after the Islanders resumed practice yesterday at Syosset.

"Coming back," Shaw said, "the confidence he showed should bode well for his performance."

Old
02-23-2006, 07:15 AM
NYIsles1*

Zhitnik skated, hopefully he's recovered enough to play after the break.

Note-According to the Ct Post Wyatt Smith, Robert Nilsson and Joel Bouchard were recalled, apparently they will be playing here after the break. If Yashin plays in a
gold-medal game Sunday in Italy that's not a lot of time to report back and play Tuesday against Montreal.

Frederick Coultier was recalled so the team would have two practice goalies while DiPietro get's a rest for a few days.

Have to figure all the returning Islanders do not practice until Saturday, Sunday or even Monday, six games in eight days with the travel is a lot.

This team must come out and go on an immediate winning streak beginning Tuesday.

Old
02-23-2006, 10:55 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1

This team must come out and go on an immediate winning streak beginning Tuesday.
This team hasn't shown it can do that when well rested...

NYI must win a slidding CAN team that very well may have some of their players playing very late into the weekend. Let alone they just lost Mr. "I have a full head of hair, but I'm taking Propecia" Jose for the remainder of the season. [must be some correlation between struggling athlete and the name Jose ]

Huet has performed well, but this should be a very winnable game. However, I'm awaiting the typical Islanders 1980 Chevette-like winter start at 6 in the morning. Maybe after 20 minutes the team will be ready to cruise...

Old
02-23-2006, 04:53 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
This team hasn't shown it can do that when well rested...

NYI must win a slidding CAN team that very well may have some of their players playing very late into the weekend. Let alone they just lost Mr. "I have a full head of hair, but I'm taking Propecia" Jose for the remainder of the season. [must be some correlation between struggling athlete and the name Jose ]

Huet has performed well, but this should be a very winnable game. However, I'm awaiting the typical Islanders 1980 Chevette-like winter start at 6 in the morning. Maybe after 20 minutes the team will be ready to cruise...
Theodore was having a disappointing season and many Habs fans were down on him,but his injury puts a lot of pressure on Huet.Hopefully the Isles can take advantage.

Old
02-23-2006, 08:02 PM
NYIsles1*

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/pres...ive.asp?id=738

BOUCHARD, NILLSON, SMITH BACK
Cloutier up, Pettinen to Bridgeport

Getting ready for the post-Olympic swing, the Islanders have recalled defenseman Joel Bouchard and forwards Robert Nilsson and Wyatt Smith from the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The trio spent the last week and a half with the Sound Tigers during the NHL Olympic Break. The team also recalled goaltender Frederic Cloutier and reassigned defenseman Tomi Pettinen to Bridgeport.

With DiPietro overseas and now coming back, but will be given rest upon his return, Cloutier was recalled to share the workload at practice with Garth Snow. Pettinen has not recorded any points in 18 games this season with the Islanders.

Old
02-24-2006, 07:01 AM
NYIsles1*

2/24:

York easy on Team USA

For this Olympics, York was in Antigua with his wife, Aimee. "It was nice and warm," York said as he sported a mid-winter burn after the Islanders' practice yesterday at Iceworks.
But overall, he said criticizing Team USA and the roster choices was too easy to do now. "It's easy to point fingers," he said. "USA Hockey has come a long way, that's for sure. And there are people I know that work hard there and try to do the best job they can do in selecting guys."

http://www.nypost.com/sports/62357.htm

GIVE USA BIT MORE TLC: YORK

Alexei Zhitnik, out since Jan. 31 with a high ankle sprain that also kept him out of the Olympics, said that he hopes to be in the lineup when the season resumes Tuesday against Montreal.

Old
02-24-2006, 07:20 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Tomi Pettinen to Bridgeport.
this is a move that should have been made in october.

Old
02-24-2006, 12:15 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
this is a move that should have been made in october.

ahhhh. i can rest a bit easier.

Old
02-27-2006, 05:39 AM
NYIsles1*

2/27:

HOCKEY
Parrish backs Modano gripe

"When a guy like Mike Modano, who is a stand-up guy that has done so much for USA Hockey, has that point of view, I would listen," Parrish said yesterday after he participated in the Islanders' practice at Iceworks. "He isn't a man that says much and he certainly isn't known as a complainer."

"The competitiveness in me was definitely burning up and I wanted to be out there," said Parrish, who has 21 goals this season with the Islanders. "But there are so many great players sitting on the bench that I certainly didn't envy Peter's job in having to choose which goal-scorers to go with." "I had an amazing time with the guys on the team," he said. "They made it one of the most memorable moments of my life."

Old
02-27-2006, 07:59 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:

HOCKEY
Parrish backs Modano gripe

"When a guy like Mike Modano, who is a stand-up guy that has done so much for USA Hockey, has that point of view, I would listen," Parrish said yesterday after he participated in the Islanders' practice at Iceworks. "He isn't a man that says much and he certainly isn't known as a complainer."

"The competitiveness in me was definitely burning up and I wanted to be out there," said Parrish, who has 21 goals this season with the Islanders. "But there are so many great players sitting on the bench that I certainly didn't envy Peter's job in having to choose which goal-scorers to go with." "I had an amazing time with the guys on the team," he said. "They made it one of the most memorable moments of my life."
Oh enough with the friggin whining.The US scorers played like crap.Want to whine about something?whine about that.

Old
02-27-2006, 08:06 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
Oh enough with the friggin whining.The US scorers played like crap.Want to whine about something?whine about that.
Sure would be nice if Hahn (who did not even go to Turin) could write something about what's happening at practice or sit down w/Nilsson. All he's been doing for days now is running to York and now Parrish for gripes about team USA.

Is it that hard for him to do put in some work and update the fans on what's happening at practice.

Old
02-27-2006, 08:13 AM
OlTimeHockey

I stopped taking him too seriously a while ago. Seems like he puts more effort into his books than his job: covering the Isles.

And one cannot dismiss his writing style is more Isles propaganda than Isles scoops.

Old
02-27-2006, 09:52 AM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey
I stopped taking him too seriously a while ago. Seems like he puts more effort into his books than his job: covering the Isles.

And one cannot dismiss his writing style is more Isles propaganda than Isles scoops.
I think it's funny how radically different people's takes on Hahn are. There is the faction that think he's just a mouthpiece for the Islanders. Then there are the people who think he just hates certain players and so badmouths them endlessly (e.g., Yashin), something a mouthpiece for team would not do. It just strikes me as funny that so many people can so strongly have nearly diametrically opposed opinions on Hahn and his 'agenda.'

Quote:
Sure would be nice if Hahn (who did not even go to Turin) could write something about what's happening at practice or sit down w/Nilsson. All he's been doing for days now is running to York and now Parrish for gripes about team USA.

Is it that hard for him to do put in some work and update the fans on what's happening at practice.
I would love to see more articles like that. But I really don't know how fair it is to knock Hahn personally for this. More or less, he writes the stories that his editors tell him to. If the editors think the Olympics and team USA scrum is the story right now, that's what he has to write. If the editors think that just game recaps are all the Isles merit, that's all Hahn can write. I am as frustrated as the next guy with the lack of coverage the Isles get here, but I think it's not quite accurate to lay it all (or even most of it) on Hahn's doorstep. He cannot just do whatever story he wants and print it. It's the papers, and the sports desk editors, that deserve the brunt of the blame for the lack of space or depth that they devote to the Islanders.

Old
02-27-2006, 10:04 AM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C.
I would love to see more articles like that. But I really don't know how fair it is to knock Hahn personally for this. More or less, he writes the stories that his editors tell him to. If the editors think the Olympics and team USA scrum is the story right now, that's what he has to write. If the editors think that just game recaps are all the Isles merit, that's all Hahn can write. I am as frustrated as the next guy with the lack of coverage the Isles get here, but I think it's not quite accurate to lay it all (or even most of it) on Hahn's doorstep. He cannot just do whatever story he wants and print it. It's the papers, and the sports desk editors, that deserve the brunt of the blame for the lack of space or depth that they devote to the Islanders.
Yeah, I agree and posted something similar to this recently. Unfortunately, hockey is just NOT in the forefront, both nationally and locally. Much of that is due to the lockout and beyond that, the way that the game is just simply not as popular as some of the other sports. So, space in a major sports section like Newsday's is limited for stories about hockey. You're right on, Joe C., when you state that he can't just do whatever story that he wants to do. It isn't a blog that he writes for...it is Newsday and he has bosses there that dictate the direction of the sports section.

With the Olympics and Modano's comments being so high-profile right now, I think it was only natural that Hahn (or just as likely, his editors) talked to one of our own US Olympians about the topic. I'm sure that if there were no US Olympians on the Islanders, they might have had him write a story about practice or the team in general, but it is also possible that there would have been NO story from him today, being that there is no game tonight.

Old
02-27-2006, 10:24 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
But I really don't know how fair it is to knock Hahn personally for this. More or less, he writes the stories that his editors tell him to. If the editors think the Olympics and team USA scrum is the story right now, that's what he has to write.
Do you really think Hahn's editor at Newsday is this restrictive of his work to the point where he was told to only come back with a story and quotes from one the three USA Islanders about their Olympic experience?

I'm not going to say your wrong because I do not know but given most of his work all season it seems Mark Parrish is the player he goes to the most these day for his quotes among the players and it seems like the easy way out of not covering other players. He seems more than free to take his shots at Yashin any time he feels like it unless his editor is telling him to do that which I find tough to see.

My guess is that Hahn gives favorable coverage to those who are approachable and make his job easier and ignores the rest and I'm sure that is not uncommon for many writers. When Hahn lashed into Peca in 04 on a day he was not talking he finally did an article on Jonsson and made it clear Jonsson was a standup guy for being the only one to approach Hahn after a bad loss.

Quote:
He cannot just do whatever story he wants and print it. It's the papers, and the sports desk editors, that deserve the brunt of the blame for the lack of space or depth that they devote to the Islanders.
Not for anything but a lot of days this team get's more than one article when it's appropriate. The space would speak to the editor's job and the depth for me would go on the writer because he's the one around the players as games are played as storylines are created.

After five years of Hahn I'm tired of players who do well here being called
under-rated, that speaks to how he sells them to the public and the league.

Old
02-27-2006, 11:57 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
Seriously, anyone see how Parrish said 'goal scorers' when no used in the final game?

Again, how much notice did the players have that they were on the Olympic team? Ok, so Canadad 'treated' their players better...How about some of these whiners stepping up BEFORE HAND and saying, well, why don't we all get together and figure out how we want to meet, eat, sleep, fly, etc. Fault Team USA, but also fault those with the ability to make proper arrangements with significant notice.

At the end of the day, the performance on the ice is real reason for complaining. No matter the conditions, the lack of finishing touch led to the short tourney for USA. Oh well...still have to find a way to divert the attention for poor performances overall...

Old
02-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
After five years of Hahn I'm tired of players who do well here being called
under-rated, that speaks to how he sells them to the public and the league.
Well, I know what you are saying, and believe me I sympathize because I too wish this were not the case. I wish the Isles were not some backwater locale. But I disagree a bit because I do not think it's Hahn's job to sell the team or players to the public. His job is to report on them, to a certain extent to provide background (although he's not really a sports editorialist the way that, say, Johnette Howard or Brooks are), and not much else. He will do in-depth pieces if the paper believes it will sell more copies. I agree with you that one can make the argument that it might be in Newsday's interest to sell the team and players more b/c a more popular Islanders would sell more newspapers. But really, that is more Chris Botta's job than Newsday's.

Old
02-27-2006, 11:37 PM
NYIsles1*

2/28:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...orts-headlines

Isles thinking big down the stretch

Alexei Yashin, who was seen in Turin centering Russia's dynamic line with Alexander Ovechkin and doing such intangibles as killing penalties and playing defense, called tonight's game "probably one of the most important games of the season."

With four teams ahead of them for that final playoff berth and 26 games left in the regular season, every point will be critical. To hammer that point and make sure the players -- especially those who took time off to tan during the Olympic break -- were back on the ice and not at the beach, Shaw snapped at his team early in yesterday's practice with a warning to "pick up the pace." The rest of the practice was up-tempo and crisp.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/st...p-335230c.html
Islanders need Rick to be slick

Coach Brad Shaw said only that tonight's starter has not been determined against Montreal, which leads the Isles by six points for the final playoff berth in the Eastern Conference. Shaw did say that veteran defenseman Alexei Zhtinik, who skipped the Olympics with a high ankle sprain, is expected to be back in the lineup for the first time since Jan. 31.

"This is probably one of the most important games of the season because if we can play well against Montreal we can shrink the distance between us and the playoffs," Yashin said.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/60422.htm
WEARY ISLES GOTTA SHOW GOLD METTLE

"It was a good opportunity, a good challenge," said DiPietro, who will likely not play tonight to get another day of rest. "I'm just coming back with the hopes of stringing together some more good games like we did before the break, and we have to make a serious playoff run to make it. It's not going to be easy."

"If you're going to change gears, you have to bring it up a gear," said Blake, who admitted he thought long and hard about making the playoffs during the long flight home from Italy. "This is our chance to come together. We haven't done it all year. We've done it in spurts. We've played great at times, but this is the time to play great for the rest of the year."

Last edited by NYIsles1*: 02-28-2006 at 04:20 AM.
Old
02-28-2006, 12:03 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Well, I know what you are saying, and believe me I sympathize because I too wish this were not the case. I wish the Isles were not some backwater locale.
Isles are not some backwater locale they are only being covered that way and to me is seems were getting to a point it's accepted too easily and this not only includes Hahn but Grossman and Botte.

Chris Botta ripped the times for lack of coverage earlier this season on the teams website. The vested fans/salesman Diamos, Dellapina, Brooks for the Rangers in the Post and Daily News are selling their team all the time to the public, win or lose with the same one article per day the Isles get in the city papers most days and they are all veteran hockey writers. Hahn makes no effort and his paper is sponsoring 3/4.

Look at the 2/28 article today just posted, Hahn took his little dig about Yashin playing defense for Russia, he played Saturday in Turin and must be tired and was at practice (DiPietro may not even start because he's still tired) Yashin has been an even player most of this season and stands at -4 (Kvasha leads team at plus 2) which on this team is a good rating at even strength when you look at the goals against. You see any cracks from Hahn about Parrish with his -14 rating that he cannot play defense?

Of course not because Parrish is quoted almost daily by Hahn and makes his job easier.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is do not accept being treated poorly as the way it is because of a lazy beatwriter or two. Read the article and the speculation on Nokelainen, you would think he would simply sit down with Nokelainen and ask him what the plan is for him at this point?

Old
02-28-2006, 01:11 PM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Look at the 2/28 article today just posted, Hahn took his little dig about Yashin playing defense for Russia, he played Saturday in Turin and must be tired and was at practice (DiPietro may not even start because he's still tired) Yashin has been an even player most of this season and stands at -4 (Kvasha leads team at plus 2) which on this team is a good rating at even strength when you look at the goals against.
I didn't see where him saying, 'Alexi Yashin, who was seen in Turin centering Russia's dynamic line with Alexander Ovechkin and doing such intangibles as killing penalties and playing defense...' was a little dig. If you want to read into it and say that he was needling him b/c he doesn't do those things here, that's fine, but I didn't take it that way. Many players do not-so-ordinary things when playing in international competitions like the Olympics.

Old
02-28-2006, 01:19 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson
I didn't see where him saying, 'Alexi Yashin, who was seen in Turin centering Russia's dynamic line with Alexander Ovechkin and doing such intangibles as killing penalties and playing defense...' was a little dig. If you want to read into it and say that he was needling him b/c he doesn't do those things here, that's fine, but I didn't take it that way. Many players do not-so-ordinary things when playing in international competitions like the Olympics.
when you're paid what he's paid and have a 'C' on your jersey, one needs to parlay their "Olympic intensity" into an on-ice product for those who put clothes on your back.

Old
02-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Killer Carlson

Oh, I totally agree, but I don't see where it was a dig on Hahn's part.

Old
02-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Capt Reynolds

And to me I think that is part of the issue -- Hahn actually is an Islander fan, and as a fan I think he recognizes that Yashin's two-way play for the Isles has been suspect to say the least. I think he can't help but have that sneak into his articles. It's not like you need a special vendetta against Yashin to note that the guy has been disappointing and his two-way play is awful. Should he ignore that and pretend all is roses with our Captain? I think *that* would be lazy journalism, worse, it's just homerism.

Again, when you listen to Hahn's interviews on PatchyF's show, the guy clearly does take a keen interest in the team and clearly does know a lot that is going on that does not make it into his articles. If he knows all that, why isn't it in his articles? He's done the work, spoken to the guys, etc., so clearly it's not just laziness. The only thing I can assume is it's his editors.

As for always getting quotes from Parrish, I think part of the onus is on the players. Parrish wears an A and makes himself available. He is a team rep to the public b/c of the letter on his sweater. A lot of players don't talk to the press. Hahn can't force guys to speak, especially not if he wants to retain good relations with the players he has to cover.

Old
02-28-2006, 10:56 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
And to me I think that is part of the issue -- Hahn actually is an Islander fan, and as a fan I think he recognizes that Yashin's two-way play for the Isles has been suspect to say the least.
Yashin's a minus four on a team that cannot kept the puck out of it's own net and does not even play shorthanded (even though a team of Russia all-stars put him in that role) looking at Mark Parrish at minus fourteen makes me think of a player who's defense has been suspect along with the players who constantly cannot clear the puck.

When I read from Hahn:

Quote:
doing such intangibles as killing penalties and playing defense
My reaction was it's a shot at his overall play, I do not know if I'm correct but that's my impression.

Quote:
I think he can't help but have that sneak into his articles. It's not like you need a special vendetta against Yashin to note that the guy has been disappointing and his two-way play is awful. Should he ignore that and pretend all is roses with our Captain? I think *that* would be lazy journalism, worse, it's just homerism.
If you think he cannot help but sneak it into his articles that says all that has to be said about his professionalism. If Hahn cannot cover someone objectively why bother, it's about the fans, not the writer-player working relationship whether it be good or poor, it's about professionalism. To me when you write an article (after a full year without any hockey) claiming Parrish only signed a one year deal because of Yashin when he did not sign any deal at all and not even bother to correct his error as Parrish's contract signing extended to September that is unforgivable to me and should be to everyone. Was he that personally offended the team intended to name Yashin as it's captain and his job was going to be tougher?

Statistically Yashin's on pace for the same numbers he posted in 01-02 when Hahn and most fans thought he had a good season, against Montreal Tuesday he got a minus where he was all over Koivu in the Habs end of the ice and he made a long pass to a player Campoli did not have and beat Snow, poor defense by Yashin? Not to me. I counted two powerplays he drew and took the shot Parrish put the rebound in on.

Quote:
Again, when you listen to Hahn's interviews on PatchyF's show, the guy clearly does take a keen interest in the team and clearly does know a lot that is going on that does not make it into his articles. If he knows all that, why isn't it in his articles? He's done the work, spoken to the guys, etc., so clearly it's not just laziness. The only thing I can assume is it's his editors.
I listended to a lot of speculation from Hahn, with little substance, in fact he cited Lukowich's comments about it being a quiet team which did not even make it into his own work in Newsday, that was from an out of town paper.

Quote:
As for always getting quotes from Parrish, I think part of the onus is on the players. Parrish wears an A and makes himself available. He is a team rep to the public b/c of the letter on his sweater. A lot of players don't talk to the press. Hahn can't force guys to speak, especially not if he wants to retain good relations with the players he has to cover.
I'm not in the room and this is just my speculation, I think a large percentage of the players see how poorly the writers treat them in the press and simply want no part of them so they work with who will work with them. Let's see Hahn bring up Parrish's -14 and his defensive play as quickly as he brings up Yashin's and get quotes.

Funny but in Parrish's first year he outright ripped Islander fans and had to issue a public apology. Ever see Yashin say a bad word about anyone? I read the report on AHL.com of Gervais being invited to Yashin's home during the lockout with some of the other Isles prospects (at a time no NHL player had an obligation to anyone but himself) and even while losing huge money still went out of the way for the kids on the team.

Old
02-28-2006, 11:25 PM
NYIsles1*

3/1:

Virtually an entire article about the opposing team's LI players.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/ny-spisles0301,0,2061822.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines
CANADIENS 5, ISLANDERS 3
LI's Canadiens haunt Islanders
Smithtown’s Higgins scores 2, Islip Terrace’s Komisarek is solid

"It seems like every time we play someone who's from here or who has played here, they have big nights," DiPietro said. "It's good for him. He's a great kid ... Hopefully he can continue it, just not against us."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...p-335521c.html

Isles lackluster
after Turin break

"That's my call. I liked the way Snowy practiced (Monday). There's a big difference between Ricky sharp in practice and Ricky when he looks tired and not mentally sharp. That was part of the decision," interim coach Brad Shaw said. "It's disappointing we lost. But we didn't take care of the puck around their net, and that's why we lost, not who (played in goal)."

"Snowy's been back here practicing and was fresh and he's played phenomenal this entire year," DiPietro said. "At the end of the day, (Shaw) thought it was best that Snowy play."

http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/62579.htm
DIPIETRO CAN'T SAVE ISLANDERS

"On the bench, it's something you have to be ready for," DiPietro said. "It kind of caught me off guard. I thought Snowy was playing well for the action he was seeing ... It's a bit of a difficult situation, not expecting to play, but that's no excuse."

The Isles squandered many chances, like Jason Blake's and Oleg Kvasha's quality attempts early in the first and Miro Satan's pair of glorious opportunities in the second.

Last edited by NYIsles1*: 03-01-2006 at 06:45 AM.
Closed Thread