HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Islander News Articles 3/2:

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2006, 05:43 AM
Capt Reynolds

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
I'm not in the room and this is just my speculation, I think a large percentage of the players see how poorly the writers treat them in the press and simply want no part of them so they work with who will work with them. Let's see Hahn bring up Parrish's -14 and his defensive play as quickly as he brings up Yashin's and get quotes.

Funny but in Parrish's first year he outright ripped Islander fans and had to issue a public apology. Ever see Yashin say a bad word about anyone? I read the report on AHL.com of Gervais being invited to Yashin's home during the lockout with some of the other Isles prospects (at a time no NHL player had an obligation to anyone but himself) and even while losing huge money still went out of the way for the kids on the team.
As you noted, neither of us is there so we are both speculating, but I tend to think you are right on this, or, actually, that a little of what we are both saying is right. Namely, that there are certain guys that are more willing to talk to the press and give quotes, and that writers don't want to jeapordize that by lighting into their pipeline of information because it would leave them in trouble when it comes time to write their articles. But I do have seen quotes from a lot of different guys over the years -- Parry, Peca, Blake, DP, Luko, Bates, Aucoin, Shaw, have all been regular quote sources at one time or another. Even Yashin has gotten quoted a lot this year. I think at certain times you have guys that are more vocal with the press, and naturally they are who the reporters turn to. The more tacitrun guys are not and reporters don't want to stir up *too* much for fear of in essence blacklisting themselves. I don't think this is exclusive to Hahn, though -- e.g., if you read the Ranger articles, 90% of Brooks' quotes come from Jagr, because he's a great quote and always willing to speak to the press, as well as the star and the guy that people want to hear from.

As for Yashin always being deferential and polite, I do totally agree with you there. He does always say the right thing. Personally, I like the guy on a personal level and think he is a classy guy who does not shirk taking responsibility. I am not as enamored of him as a player, although I don't hate him either -- my dislike is aimed more at his contract, which is an albatross given the reality of what Yashin is bringing to the table. It's not that Yashin brings nothing, it's that he doesn't bring enough given what he is being paid. But personally I like the guy and think he does answer the tough questions.

I do agree that not correcting the Parrish thing was bad, but Hahn usually gets his facts straight. Errrors like that are not really a recurring problem for him.

Old
03-01-2006, 08:10 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C.
As you noted, neither of us is there so we are both speculating, but I tend to think you are right on this, or, actually, that a little of what we are both saying is right.
Agreed.

Quote:
e.g., if you read the Ranger articles, 90% of Brooks' quotes come from Jagr, because he's a great quote and always willing to speak to the press, as well as the star and the guy that people want to hear from.
Here's where we disagree and where the fan in the writer comes into play and clearly they have sold you with their coverage.

Jagr has been a cancer for teams and organizations and has been labeled moody and selfish (even by Brooks) in his career to a point even more than quiet Yashin, however those writer/fans/salesman understand the obligation to sell their teams and the players on them and they wrap themselves up in the teams flag at times. This happens in most hockey markets, just not in Newsday and with our current beatwriter.

With Hahn it's always the downside, the glass is always half-filled, he even treats the championship players here poorly and used his stock-answer why should any Islander fan read anything but Newsday when someone like Brooks is wrong about Bossy wanting money or attacking the team in print, not a word of defense in print for a player he made money off of by writing a book like he wants no part of incuring the wrath of his fellow NYC beatwriters, meanwhile under-rated or unknown is the national watchword for all Islanders who play well here, even Hamrlik said it when he got to Calgary. Even the Tampa media noted they outcovered the New York media for hockey in the 03-04 playoffs.

You know it's funny but for all the poor coverage by Evan Grossman remember all the abuse he got for prediciting the Islanders would beat the Senators in the 02-03 playoffs and his playoff series breakdown? For a day he put on his Islander fan suit and took serious some abuse for it up in Ottawa's media, but I liked it.

Next time Hahn talks about the Islanders being the pride of New York/Long Island hockey and how important is for our team to win in this market for our fans will be a first, our players get no such hype from Hahn. In fact Hahn goes out of his way to tell us baseball's monster must be constantly fed and that the Manhattan Rangers must be good so we can get more coverage which judging by television ratings (Rangers are down 17 percent from 03-04) and coverage to this point is a virtually the same as 03-04 is complete crock because the only backpages for local NHL hockey games have been in Newsday this season.

Maybe Newsday's editor needs Dolan's Knicks for a sports section in winter so that has to be the mantra.

Quote:
As for Yashin always being deferential and polite, I do totally agree with you there. He does always say the right thing. Personally, I like the guy on a personal level and think he is a classy guy who does not shirk taking responsibility. I am not as enamored of him as a player, although I don't hate him either -- my dislike is aimed more at his contract, which is an albatross given the reality of what Yashin is bringing to the table. It's not that Yashin brings nothing, it's that he doesn't bring enough given what he is being paid. But personally I like the guy and think he does answer the tough questions.
I do not know but my impression of Yashin is he's a standup person who could have easily taken the pressure off of himself and decided (like Jagr) he wanted no part of being a team captain. After losing all that money and for all that media abuse he gets I would think he would be disappointed and disgusted to come back but all I read where how he did anything he could to help team Russia and worked hard to get in shape for this season and how badly he wanted to come back here and win, he's been nothing but positive which I guess is a lousy story if you want to sell papers, but to a good writer into his team it's a great story.

I'll never forget two years ago after the 7-0 preseason, everyone was sky-high with expectations and when it came to Yashin he was honest enough to say we have some good things going here but it's one thing to talk about a good preseason and another to do what it takes to win a cup, Yashin is no salesman and there seems to be no b.s about the man, perhaps that does not sell papers for Hahn or make fans happy but at least it's honest.

Quote:
I do agree that not correcting the Parrish thing was bad, but Hahn usually gets his facts straight. Errrors like that are not really a recurring problem for him.
Errors like that are a disaster, he did not even bother to correct it.

Some trends last summer have made it seem recurring. He interviewed Milbury after the World Championships and did not even tell his readers if he asked the gm about Jonsson even though both were in Austria. I thought he oversold Aucoin coming back or the player used him and got up expectations but from my view I do think he has problems approaching the European players on the roster and was always a bit snobby in his remarks about the crunch of Polish media covering Czerkawski when he was here.

Old
03-02-2006, 02:41 AM
NYIsles1*

3/2:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...orts-headlines

It's moving time for Islanders

"If we don't do well in these four games," interim coach Brad Shaw said of the games between now and the March 9 deadline, "you become a seller."

"These next four games we have to play like they're the last four games of the season," DiPietro said of a stretch including two games against the Devils, one against the Flyers and one against the Capitals.

"It's a tall order when you've hovered around .500 all year to suddenly start thinking about running the table," Shaw said. "But if you can't believe you can do it, you're certainly never going to accomplish it."

http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/64515.htm
ISLANDERS REACH
GUT-CHECK POINT

"I think these next four will pretty much decide the fate of the team," DiPietro continued. "We have to make a charge and we have to make it quick. We get a chance to play against a lot of the teams we're behind, and I think guys are confident that with our schedule we can make up ground in a hurry.

"These games are critical. The trade deadline is right around the corner and we want to prove to Mike [Milbury] and Charles [Wang] and the coaching staff we can still compete and make a playoff run."

Last edited by NYIsles1*: 03-02-2006 at 04:35 AM.
Old
03-02-2006, 09:56 AM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1

It's moving time for Islanders

"If we don't do well in these four games," interim coach Brad Shaw said of the games between now and the March 9 deadline, "you become a seller."

"These next four games we have to play like they're the last four games of the season," DiPietro said of a stretch including two games against the Devils, one against the Flyers and one against the Capitals.

"It's a tall order when you've hovered around .500 all year to suddenly start thinking about running the table," Shaw said. "But if you can't believe you can do it, you're certainly never going to accomplish it."

http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/64515.htm
ISLANDERS REACH
GUT-CHECK POINT

"I think these next four will pretty much decide the fate of the team," DiPietro continued. "We have to make a charge and we have to make it quick. We get a chance to play against a lot of the teams we're behind, and I think guys are confident that with our schedule we can make up ground in a hurry.

"These games are critical. The trade deadline is right around the corner and we want to prove to Mike [Milbury] and Charles [Wang] and the coaching staff we can still compete and make a playoff run."
knowing this team, we will go 2-2 over that 4 game stretch, then putting the decision into MM's hand as to be either a buyer or seller.

then MM will make the wrong decision

Old
03-03-2006, 05:18 AM
NYIsles1*

3/3 Articles:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...p-336077c.html

Islanders' win is Satan's baby

"I knew I would feel bad if 7 p.m. hit and I wasn't here," Satan said. "I just wanted to be here."

"We're happy that they're not doing well against the rest of the league," Brodeur said, "because they're definitely taking points away from us."

But Satan proved to be the key, despite his long day. "We didn't know what to expect," Isles coach Brad Shaw said, "but since I've been the head guy here, he's been our best player."

http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/62694.htm

SATAN'S SHOT 'DAD' ON

"I said to him in overtime, 'Miro Jr. probably needs a goal today, doesn't he,' and he sort of smiled," Shaw said. "He waited to the shootout but he still came through. He's a pretty clutch hockey player."

Rick DiPietro (26 saves) said, "It's the feel-good story of the year."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/03/sp...dMKc+ByqjePboA

Islanders 3, Devils 2
New Father Helps Isles Win Game

"We solved a great goalie," said the Islanders' interim coach, Brad Shaw. "To score two out of two is pretty special."

"This game is big, but now the Philly game is going to be even bigger," DiPietro said, referring to Saturday's home game against the Flyers, before which the Islanders' 1980 Stanley Cup team will be honored. "There's not one game you can't say is big now."

"There's a lot of desperation and a lot of heart in here," DiPietro said. "We've got to keep putting together performances like this."

ISLANDERS 3, DEVILS 2
Miro’s full day
Satan sees first child born in morning, then scores goal in shootout

"It was one of those days in your life," said Satan, still riding an adrenaline high of an all-nighter at a Buffalo hospital with his wife, Ingrid, through to a late night at the Coliseum. In between, two hours of sleep.

"I knew that I would feel bad at 7 p.m. if I wasn't here," Satan said. "You know the situation we're in, trying to close the gap on making the playoffs. I just wanted to be here." Ingrid gave her blessing. So with flights canceled, Satan took a chartered plane arranged by owner Charles Wang, which landed at JFK at 4:30, just 2 1/2 hours before game time.

Closed Thread