HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Some news about Michel Therrien

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2003, 05:23 PM
Démon Blond

vCash: 500
Some news about Michel Therrien

Here's a article on him, interesting read

Link

Old
10-23-2003, 05:55 PM
SUOMI

thanks for the link, it was a good read!!! I was really enjoying him, he a color guy, always fun to see his reaction...

Old
10-23-2003, 06:04 PM
Kirk Muller*

Yeah, thanks démon blond.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:38 PM
Habsolution

Quote:
But behind his sometimes comical tantrums lurk the intricacies of a communicator extraordinaire.

Are they talking about Michel Therrien ? Really ? I mean ...

Old
10-23-2003, 07:42 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution

Are they talking about Michel Therrien ? Really ? I mean ...
i can't believe it either...Therien a great communicator.....

Old
10-23-2003, 07:56 PM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
i can't believe it either...Therien a great communicator.....
Not only a great communicator but a communicator extraordinaire

Of all the qualities Therrien has communication was never the one I'd have thought about to describe him. A great energy guy, motivator .. ok. But communiator ? The guy barely speaks english. How is he able to communicate his ideas ? Journalists kept saying the players were laughing at his english when he was fired. I don't know how true it is but he sure didn't look good when speaking english in post game conference.

Seriously nhl.com just won't say something negative about someone. After all their goal is to market the NHL ...

Old
10-23-2003, 09:41 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Of all the qualities Therrien has communication was never the one I'd have thought about to describe him. A great energy guy, motivator .. ok. But communiator ? The guy barely speaks english. How is he able to communicate his ideas ? Journalists kept saying the players were laughing at his english when he was fired. I don't know how true it is but he sure didn't look good when speaking english in post game conference.
His english is good. He has a french accent though. The fact that players laughed about his english just shows how poor judgement some athletes have...

Old
10-23-2003, 09:54 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Not only a great communicator but a communicator extraordinaire

Seriously nhl.com just won't say something negative about someone. After all their goal is to market the NHL ...
exactly....I give credit to Therrien for being a great motivator based on emotion and energy, as it is not easy to do if you can't communicate very good...Therien does not have great communication skills, and i am sure most of us will agree on that....

Old
10-23-2003, 10:01 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
exactly....I give credit to Therrien for being a great motivator based on emotion and energy, as it is not easy to do if you can't communicate very good...Therien does not have great communication skills, and i am sure most of us will agree on that....
Honestly, how can anyone know if Therrien's a good communicator or not? It's not like anyone of us is or has been in the locker room or training with him, etc.

Jacques Martin is horrible at press conferences, does that make him a bad communicator? Same goes for Pat Burns or Jacques Lemaire. Unless you've worked closely with someone, it's almost impossible to judge someone's skills that you don't interact with. Other than ice-time decisions and bench behavior, who knows how Therrien is... Prior to his stay in Montreal, Therrien was known as a good teacher and communicator. (And just like Julien, he was deemed the best coach from Quebec outside the NHL)

Old
10-23-2003, 10:28 PM
Habsolution

Sorry I really despise Therrien and I find it very hard to believe that he is a communicator extraordinaire. But eh I guess the writer of this article knows better.

Old
10-24-2003, 05:05 AM
Darz

I wonder if Therrien will get a shot as Pittsburgh's head coach once Olczyk gets axed??

Old
10-24-2003, 05:10 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
Prior to his stay in Montreal, Therrien was known as a good teacher and communicator.

Thats not what I heard, apparrently, cittadelle players threw a party when Therrien was called up to coach the big club. This guy was one of the biggest morons we ever got as a coach. I'm laughing at the idea of him developping youngsters and making them play a system(improvisation probably). The penguins are going nowhere with him at the helm of their future players.

Old
10-24-2003, 05:15 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
The guy barely speaks english. How is he able to communicate his ideas ? Journalists kept saying the players were laughing at his english when he was fired. ...
Man, that is such a dim comment. Players that laughed at him because of his accent should be dragged behind one of their lux SUV's.

The ONLY legitimate function of language is communication. If they can undersatnd the point of his sentence, then the job is done. Just because he doesn't pronounce as perfectly as one might like, it never diminishes the message.

If the accent changes your perception of the message, you do not deserve to put on a Habs jersey.

As for others (posters, journalists) with the same bias....grow up.

Old
10-24-2003, 05:55 AM
Masao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
I wonder if Therrien will get a shot as Pittsburgh's head coach once Olczyk gets axed??
Why would Olczyk get axed?

Old
10-24-2003, 05:56 AM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Thats not what I heard, apparrently, cittadelle players threw a party when Therrien was called up to coach the big club. This guy was one of the biggest morons we ever got as a coach. I'm laughing at the idea of him developping youngsters and making them play a system(improvisation probably). The penguins are going nowhere with him at the helm of their future players.
In Quebec, he wasn't appreciated by the vets from what I gathered, mostly because of his punishing methods.

However, ask Georges Laraque, Francis Bouillon or Stephane Robidas, Michel Therrien is the reason why they're playing in the NHL.

I'm not saying Therrien is the best coach out there, but he's been known for being a good communicator and teacher. Maybe he's not a player favorite for using his methods, but that doesn't make him a bad teacher and/or communicator.

I think the fact that he received Carboneau's props is telling. Carbonneau even said that if he had known what the players would have done last year, he wouldn't have gone back to Dallas and stayed as an assistant coach to help him out.

Old
10-24-2003, 09:42 AM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
Man, that is such a dim comment. Players that laughed at him because of his accent should be dragged behind one of their lux SUV's.

The ONLY legitimate function of language is communication. If they can undersatnd the point of his sentence, then the job is done. Just because he doesn't pronounce as perfectly as one might like, it never diminishes the message.

If the accent changes your perception of the message, you do not deserve to put on a Habs jersey.

As for others (posters, journalists) with the same bias....grow up.
I'm not saying it was a classy of some habs player to laugh at his back because of his poor english. My english is far from being great and I'd feel bad if people were laughing at it. Where I disagree with you is that language, apparence and credibility are a big part of communication. No matter how unfair it can be. That's just why you won't see a 250 pounds mannequin making l'oreal ads. It's not only about spelling. It's about being fluid and at ease with the language you're supposed to communicate your message with. Obviously Therrien was never able to communicate well enough that the players bought into his philosophy. You can't possibly argue that the players never played like they are right now under the Therrien era.

Closed Thread