HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Some news about Michel Therrien

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-23-2003, 05:23 PM
  #1
Démon Blond
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Québec
Posts: 918
vCash: 500
Some news about Michel Therrien

Here's a article on him, interesting read

Link

Démon Blond is offline  
Old
10-23-2003, 05:55 PM
  #2
SUOMI
Registered User
 
SUOMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Finland
Posts: 962
vCash: 500
thanks for the link, it was a good read!!! I was really enjoying him, he a color guy, always fun to see his reaction...

SUOMI is offline  
Old
10-23-2003, 06:04 PM
  #3
Kirk Muller*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Montréal
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
Yeah, thanks démon blond.

Kirk Muller* is offline  
Old
10-23-2003, 07:38 PM
  #4
Habsolution
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: En tounoi avec Theo? Bonn chan!
Posts: 2,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
But behind his sometimes comical tantrums lurk the intricacies of a communicator extraordinaire.


Are they talking about Michel Therrien ? Really ? I mean ...

Habsolution is offline  
Old
10-23-2003, 07:42 PM
  #5
KOMO_ROCKS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Richmond, B.C
Posts: 4,788
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution


Are they talking about Michel Therrien ? Really ? I mean ...
i can't believe it either...Therien a great communicator.....

KOMO_ROCKS is offline  
Old
10-23-2003, 07:56 PM
  #6
Habsolution
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: En tounoi avec Theo? Bonn chan!
Posts: 2,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
i can't believe it either...Therien a great communicator.....
Not only a great communicator but a communicator extraordinaire

Of all the qualities Therrien has communication was never the one I'd have thought about to describe him. A great energy guy, motivator .. ok. But communiator ? The guy barely speaks english. How is he able to communicate his ideas ? Journalists kept saying the players were laughing at his english when he was fired. I don't know how true it is but he sure didn't look good when speaking english in post game conference.

Seriously nhl.com just won't say something negative about someone. After all their goal is to market the NHL ...

Habsolution is offline  
Old
10-23-2003, 09:41 PM
  #7
SuperUnknown
Registered User
 
SuperUnknown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution
Of all the qualities Therrien has communication was never the one I'd have thought about to describe him. A great energy guy, motivator .. ok. But communiator ? The guy barely speaks english. How is he able to communicate his ideas ? Journalists kept saying the players were laughing at his english when he was fired. I don't know how true it is but he sure didn't look good when speaking english in post game conference.
His english is good. He has a french accent though. The fact that players laughed about his english just shows how poor judgement some athletes have...

SuperUnknown is offline  
Old
10-23-2003, 09:54 PM
  #8
KOMO_ROCKS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Richmond, B.C
Posts: 4,788
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution
Not only a great communicator but a communicator extraordinaire

Of all the qualities Therrien has communication was never the one I'd have thought about to describe him. A great energy guy, motivator .. ok. But communiator ? The guy barely speaks english. How is he able to communicate his ideas ? Journalists kept saying the players were laughing at his english when he was fired. I don't know how true it is but he sure didn't look good when speaking english in post game conference.

Seriously nhl.com just won't say something negative about someone. After all their goal is to market the NHL ...
exactly....I give credit to Therrien for being a great motivator based on emotion and energy, as it is not easy to do if you can't communicate very good...Therien does not have great communication skills, and i am sure most of us will agree on that....

KOMO_ROCKS is offline  
Old
10-23-2003, 10:01 PM
  #9
SuperUnknown
Registered User
 
SuperUnknown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
exactly....I give credit to Therrien for being a great motivator based on emotion and energy, as it is not easy to do if you can't communicate very good...Therien does not have great communication skills, and i am sure most of us will agree on that....
Honestly, how can anyone know if Therrien's a good communicator or not? It's not like anyone of us is or has been in the locker room or training with him, etc.

Jacques Martin is horrible at press conferences, does that make him a bad communicator? Same goes for Pat Burns or Jacques Lemaire. Unless you've worked closely with someone, it's almost impossible to judge someone's skills that you don't interact with. Other than ice-time decisions and bench behavior, who knows how Therrien is... Prior to his stay in Montreal, Therrien was known as a good teacher and communicator. (And just like Julien, he was deemed the best coach from Quebec outside the NHL)

SuperUnknown is offline  
Old
10-23-2003, 10:28 PM
  #10
Habsolution
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: En tounoi avec Theo? Bonn chan!
Posts: 2,408
vCash: 500
Sorry I really despise Therrien and I find it very hard to believe that he is a communicator extraordinaire. But eh I guess the writer of this article knows better.

Habsolution is offline  
Old
10-24-2003, 05:05 AM
  #11
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,414
vCash: 500
I wonder if Therrien will get a shot as Pittsburgh's head coach once Olczyk gets axed??

Darz is offline  
Old
10-24-2003, 05:10 AM
  #12
Habsaku
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Prior to his stay in Montreal, Therrien was known as a good teacher and communicator.

Thats not what I heard, apparrently, cittadelle players threw a party when Therrien was called up to coach the big club. This guy was one of the biggest morons we ever got as a coach. I'm laughing at the idea of him developping youngsters and making them play a system(improvisation probably). The penguins are going nowhere with him at the helm of their future players.

Habsaku is offline  
Old
10-24-2003, 05:15 AM
  #13
Joe Cole
Registered User
 
Joe Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution
The guy barely speaks english. How is he able to communicate his ideas ? Journalists kept saying the players were laughing at his english when he was fired. ...
Man, that is such a dim comment. Players that laughed at him because of his accent should be dragged behind one of their lux SUV's.

The ONLY legitimate function of language is communication. If they can undersatnd the point of his sentence, then the job is done. Just because he doesn't pronounce as perfectly as one might like, it never diminishes the message.

If the accent changes your perception of the message, you do not deserve to put on a Habs jersey.

As for others (posters, journalists) with the same bias....grow up.

Joe Cole is offline  
Old
10-24-2003, 05:55 AM
  #14
Masao
Registered User
 
Masao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 9,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
I wonder if Therrien will get a shot as Pittsburgh's head coach once Olczyk gets axed??
Why would Olczyk get axed?

Masao is offline  
Old
10-24-2003, 05:56 AM
  #15
SuperUnknown
Registered User
 
SuperUnknown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Thats not what I heard, apparrently, cittadelle players threw a party when Therrien was called up to coach the big club. This guy was one of the biggest morons we ever got as a coach. I'm laughing at the idea of him developping youngsters and making them play a system(improvisation probably). The penguins are going nowhere with him at the helm of their future players.
In Quebec, he wasn't appreciated by the vets from what I gathered, mostly because of his punishing methods.

However, ask Georges Laraque, Francis Bouillon or Stephane Robidas, Michel Therrien is the reason why they're playing in the NHL.

I'm not saying Therrien is the best coach out there, but he's been known for being a good communicator and teacher. Maybe he's not a player favorite for using his methods, but that doesn't make him a bad teacher and/or communicator.

I think the fact that he received Carboneau's props is telling. Carbonneau even said that if he had known what the players would have done last year, he wouldn't have gone back to Dallas and stayed as an assistant coach to help him out.

SuperUnknown is offline  
Old
10-24-2003, 09:42 AM
  #16
Habsolution
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: En tounoi avec Theo? Bonn chan!
Posts: 2,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
Man, that is such a dim comment. Players that laughed at him because of his accent should be dragged behind one of their lux SUV's.

The ONLY legitimate function of language is communication. If they can undersatnd the point of his sentence, then the job is done. Just because he doesn't pronounce as perfectly as one might like, it never diminishes the message.

If the accent changes your perception of the message, you do not deserve to put on a Habs jersey.

As for others (posters, journalists) with the same bias....grow up.
I'm not saying it was a classy of some habs player to laugh at his back because of his poor english. My english is far from being great and I'd feel bad if people were laughing at it. Where I disagree with you is that language, apparence and credibility are a big part of communication. No matter how unfair it can be. That's just why you won't see a 250 pounds mannequin making l'oreal ads. It's not only about spelling. It's about being fluid and at ease with the language you're supposed to communicate your message with. Obviously Therrien was never able to communicate well enough that the players bought into his philosophy. You can't possibly argue that the players never played like they are right now under the Therrien era.

Habsolution is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.