HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gretzky, Take it Hard on Yourself!

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Istvan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I think anytime you don't get the result you want, you can find a lot to blame. Gretzky's faced his share of heat over this. Every paper's speculated that they treated the team like an old boys club. Most of us that the old boy's club would still be good enough.

many thought that the Russians, though talented, wouldn't play together, the Slovaks and Swedes wouldn't get the goaltending, the Finns weren't deep enough because of all their injuries, but it didn't happen.

I've said in other threads that Bertuzzi was the only guy that I really didn't want on th eteam when the selections were announced. I didn't care about McCabe because I never thought the 7th d man would be an issue. In retrospect, the committee should have recognized certain players were in decline and would be exposed on the big ice. I know it's hindsight and 2nd guessing, but I'm not a porofessional talent evaluator. Someone should have pointed out that Foote and Blake weren't what they once were and Pronger's play has been affected by calling the actual rules now. Again, it's easy for me to say it now, I didn't say it before the Olympics.

I still think the biggest issue was that the nucleus of forwards in their prime, the TB boys,Big Joe,Iginla,Gagne, stunk. They were unable to adapt. They played like the trap was a new tactic. Part of that has to be coaching. Quinn takes heat for not being much of a systems guy, but Hitchcock and Martin were there too.

The thread and the previous one about how much to lay at Gretzky's feet ? He has to take resonsibility. His name is at the top. As to being pissed off at him, ahh, the guy's had it bad enough lately, no need to pile on. If he does this job again and doesn't appear to have incorporated this as a learning experience, I'll lead a vigilante mob thru the streets of Brantford.
I also didn't like the Bertuzzi selection but then I would never want him on the Habs either. Also agree that there is no need for piling on. But, aside from the Canadian team's shortcomings I think it would be reasonable to actually give credit to Russia, Finland and other teams that have played outstanding hockey.

Old
02-24-2006, 01:10 PM
Joe Cole

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leachmeister2000
It must be pretty hard on Gretzky these days.
Humbly, I will not make light of him losing his loved ones recently, you cannot help but wonder what the heck has happened to him in the latest few years.

The gambling thing, the old boys club player and coach picks....

Isn't he above this?

Well, I guess he can be comforted by his trophy wife, insane home (featured in some Home magazine lately) and staggering bank balance.

Closed Thread