HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Were some posters were wrong ...

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2003, 09:05 AM
HABitude

vCash: 500
Were some posters were wrong ...

Were some posters were wrong and what they say now about the players they were bashing:

One poster were always saying Théodore was the next Jim Carrey.
What does he say now? Can he apologize for such non sence statement?
Théo is back in shape like 2 years ago.

Some others were bashing Brisebois. Brisebois is doing very fine now. No complaints about him so far since Gainey stand up and said what he said. Some of you may forget last year he was playing injured (anckle and feet).

Some other posters (including myself) were saying Ribeiro wasn't good enough to shine at NHL level. Well, so far I have to admit I was wrong. I apologize to Rib and i'm very happy he do so well now.

Some other posters (not including me) are always bashing about Perreault. Have you seen his goal last night. A trully snyper goal (quick release and far enough that not any player can snap it at this distance). The way he is doing, Perreault can score about 24-30 goals this year. Maybe he should stay, 99% of you want him to move out of Mtl, you may forget last year he was injured the second half part of the season.

Who here have enough humility to admit they were wrong?

... btw, how to you like my new avatar?

Old
10-24-2003, 09:11 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
Some other posters (not including me) are always bashing about Perreault. Have you seen his goal last night. A trully snyper goal (quick release and far enough that not any player can snap it at this distance). The way he is doing, Perreault can score about 24-30 goals this year. Maybe he should stay, 99% of you want him to move out of Mtl, you may forget last year he was injured the second half part of the season.
Perreault's start is nothing new. Perreault being able to score 25-30 goals is nothing new. Perreault is not a player you can afford to have if you're a top tier club, or even a defensive club. Simple as that. I don't remember anyone ever doubting that Perreault has likely the best shot on the Canadiens. So this point is null.

On the rest: I was a believer in Theodore through last year. Hope he keeps up the good work, because there's an awful lot invested in him.

Wasn't a fan of Ribeiro's last season, but felt he deserved a spot/chance this season. Loved his play when he was in juniors, but he hadn't progressed his game until this season where he's bulked up and improved skating. Wouldn't expect his productivity to continue, but I like what he's done so far.

Old
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
your avatar is TRULY awesome !!!

One of the best HABS Avatar I've seen

Old
Bob Bastards

Quote:
Were some posters were wrong and what they say now about the players they were bashing:

Some others were bashing Brisebois. Brisebois is doing very fine now. No complaints about him so far since Gainey stand up and said what he said. Some of you may forget last year he was playing injured (anckle and feet).

Some other posters (including myself) were saying Ribeiro wasn't good enough to shine at NHL level. Well, so far I have to admit I was wrong. I apologize to Rib and i'm very happy he do so well now.

I must admit that your right about that, some people are quick to go into bashing mode. As for Perrault, I wish to see BG move him but not because is probably the only guy we can trade and have some good return for. Lets face it we are stuck with Audette and since we are pretty loaded with center man we could trade Perrault for another Ryder or Zednik type of guy (winger with grit good hand) to upgrade our first line. Bah anyway BG will do as he like and we will have to trust him...

Old
10-24-2003, 09:20 AM
StanleyCH25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Perreault's start is nothing new. Perreault being able to score 25-30 goals is nothing new. Perreault is not a player you can afford to have if you're a top tier club, or even a defensive club. Simple as that. I don't remember anyone ever doubting that Perreault has likely the best shot on the Canadiens. So this point is null.

On the rest: I was a believer in Theodore through last year. Hope he keeps up the good work, because there's an awful lot invested in him.

Wasn't a fan of Ribeiro's last season, but felt he deserved a spot/chance this season. Loved his play when he was in juniors, but he hadn't progressed his game until this season where he's bulked up and improved skating. Wouldn't expect his productivity to continue, but I like what he's done so far.
Have to disagree with you on Ribeiro. I've seen continous progression over the past 3 years. Personally, I think he was rushed and could have used more time in the AHL to work on some of the things that were keeping him back but considering that he worked so hard on his skating and his size (which really were the problem) I don't think it hurt him too much being with the big club other than fans bashing him for not being an instant impact player.

Every year he's been on the club, he's worked hard to improve his weaknesses. This guy is dedicated and definately has some skills. He's still not a premier player and probably won't ever be but he looks to be a decent 2nd line centre. With the added size has followed confidence and willingness to take the hits and he also is starting to realize that his extra leg speed is helping him outplay opponents. His role has also gone from a 4th line playmaker (with no one to feed to) to a 2nd line playmaker (with real linemates who can actually score).

I still see room for improvement and wish him the best and hope he continues to work hard to prove the doubters wrong.

Old
10-24-2003, 09:24 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:

That poster is no doubt the idiosyncratic Johnny "Cakes" Vachon (with the emphasis on the idio part of that word). Don't expect apologies from him ! In fact, you can expect him to bait you some more.

Old
10-24-2003, 09:27 AM
doc lafleur

Nice post HABItude, I was one of those who was not sold on Ribeiro making any kind of impact on the team, he is making many into believer's. It's giving CJ a little headache, but one he must love.

Flower look awesome !!!!

Old
10-24-2003, 09:42 AM
mcphee

Your avatar makes me think it's 1978. I wish it was, I could still fit in those 34 pants then. On the other hand, I'm much wiser now.
Ribeiro is surprising me every game. Not only is he producing, he's getting involved in all 3 zones. Sure he gets knocked off the puck, but he gets up and works to get it back. He's consistently going to the net without the puck, a quality the whole team has lacked in the past. Like,I said in Darz's scouting report, I'm pleased to be wrong.
Theo is playing great, more power to him. Johnny V will continue to have his fun with him,though.
Perreault is what he is. If he gets the puck in the slot, he'll roof it. He's working hard, but he'll never excel at all assets of the game. Mcguire was commenting that he seemed to have lost his touch in the faceoff circle, but he seems to be winning them at his usual rate.
My concern with Brisebois was that he'd never get past the controversy, and would be a dressing room distraction. Well, we all know how that was addressed. Notice now that the media controversies are from a distance. I expect a RD will be moved at some point, if it is judged that Komi has to come up, but the move will be based on the team's needs, not keeping the peace.

Would be great if they kept it up, I know I'm enjoying it.

Old
10-24-2003, 09:49 AM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Well, I just want to put the emphase on the fact that Perreault was injured the second half of last year. Too many posters were bashing him without taking consideration he was playing with an injury affecting his speed (I never knew what was his injury but his skating was affected, wich was making him even slower, he is already not very fast). These posters were making defenitive appreciations on the play of Perreault, based on the performance he was giving playing injured. This year Perreault looks much better in every aspects of his game, even defensively, even on speed. And his scoring touch is still there, he is a “natural” in that department.

So I don't care if BG trades him, as long as we get something decent/equal/or better value in return.

Old
10-24-2003, 09:59 AM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob ********
I must admit that your right about that, some people are quick to go into bashing mode. As for Perrault, I wish to see BG move him but not because is probably the only guy we can trade and have some good return for. Lets face it we are stuck with Audette and since we are pretty loaded with center man we could trade Perrault for another Ryder or Zednik type of guy (winger with grit good hand) to upgrade our first line. Bah anyway BG will do as he like and we will have to trust him...
Me too I think we are stuck with Audette, so it's a waste of time talking about trade proposition including Audette. On the other hand, Perreault have some value but i'm not sure BG can get a Ryder or Zednik type of guy. I wish he would get that kind of guy but I have doubts. I don't want another player à la Witehal, Juha Lind or Jim Montgomery in return of Perreault if you see what I mean...

Bah, I trust BG, he knows this bizzness more than us.

Old
10-24-2003, 10:07 AM
8b

I was wrong about Ribeiro, he really impressed me so far but it is only the begining of the season, it is soon to say anything but he have one great season start. Brisebois isn't that great but he's good, I don't like him much more. You may have forget Dackell in your list, he have been great so far this season.

I never doubt about Theo and Perreault.

Old
10-24-2003, 10:16 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

I still don't think that Theodore is good and I'm not sold on Ribeiro... They're playing well so far. Theodore's been lucky at times, solid at times but shown a lot of flaws. The guy can't be good on a 82 games + playoffs schedule PERIOD. He's small. Often out of position. Bad technique. Sorry, he's not all that good. As for Ribeiro, I seriously need Koivu back. Ribeiro doesn't generates things on EVERY shifts. It's rahter like once per 10 shifts. That's not enough and Saku does generates things 85% of the time he's on the ice. PERIOD. Sure Perrreault has a nice shot. Didn't he had the same start last year? At one point in the season he was more productive than Saku. How did his season finnished? I'm still wondering if he was noticable on the ice.

Old
10-24-2003, 10:22 AM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ax²+bx+c
I still don't think that Theodore is good and I'm not sold on Ribeiro... They're playing well so far. Theodore's been lucky at times, solid at times but shown a lot of flaws. The guy can't be good on a 82 games + playoffs schedule PERIOD. He's small. Often out of position. Bad technique. Sorry, he's not all that good. As for Ribeiro, I seriously need Koivu back. Ribeiro doesn't generates things on EVERY shifts. It's rahter like once per 10 shifts. That's not enough and Saku does generates things 85% of the time he's on the ice. PERIOD. Sure Perrreault has a nice shot. Didn't he had the same start last year? At one point in the season he was more productive than Saku. How did his season finnished? I'm still wondering if he was noticable on the ice.
we'll see after 82 games !

Old
10-24-2003, 10:34 AM
kastaure

Send a message via MSN to kastaure Send a message via Yahoo to kastaure
Yep.. as much some are quick to bash.. some are quick to praise...

6 games doesnt do a season.. less a career.

As much as the team was playing like **** last year (as a group) they are now playing better together and the sum of them is greater then the sum of each individual talent.

I am not a Theo fan, not because I dislike Theo but because I prefer other goalers in our Org (Garon and Tarasov) and I found the habs management (not Theo) stupid of signing him at such a high price, blocking any chance of another goaler to step above Theo...

I was not a big Ribiero fan but the kind is showing more and more shine this year. He is qwicker and he is more solid... he can now keep his nose in the traffic which was is problem before.

As for Brisebois and Perreault.. I have always been behind them... The expectation was maybe too high from the start from the fan. When doing their job.. they are eseential to the Habs.

Old
10-24-2003, 10:39 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I don't like Audette the most. I can't wait till he's moved or bought out which seems more likely.

I don't like Perreault. He is playing better but I don't care for him even though he scores some great top shelf PP goals. He just can't handle his man down low in the defensive zone. Having Audette on the line makes it even worse. I look forward to seeing him gone.

I have been a Ribeiro fan and stuck up for him over and over until this summer when I started to think he may never have the lower body strength needed to compete in 82 games not 7, 43, 52, 2, or 19 which is what he's played in so far. He has played well this year, but his lack of strength will cause him problems all season. His passing and vision are his best assets as he is such a great passer. Good for him

I think Theodore is a great goalie and I fully expected him to rebound, but after signing that big contract I lost a lot of repect for him.

Brisebois I don't like. He still makes too many little mistakes. I have always wondered how such a skilled player can make so many mistakes on a regular basis. He has played good so far, but I think he can play better. I look forward to seeing him gone.

Dykhuis and Traverse I don't like either for the record.

I am surprised at how well Souray is playing. I figured he would be rusty for sure.

I am surprised at Juneau and Dackell somewhat. I know they do their job well, but I felt Juneau's health would be an issue. I don't know how long his bad back will hold, but he's lookign good so far.

Dackell I don't care much for, I think Sundstrom is better.

Sundstrom isn't having a good start though which I hope is just temporary.

Old
10-24-2003, 10:59 AM
Quagmier

Quote:
Besides the seizure factor, its pretty damn sweet!

Old
10-24-2003, 11:18 AM
doc lafleur

Quote:
Man, you are hard on your team, what should BG do with all those guy's.

Old
10-24-2003, 11:19 AM
habfan4

Some posters are wrong everyday - I'm even wrong on rare occassions

The thing about being wrong about players like Brisebois or Ribeiro or Juneau etc... is that the way they're currently playing is helping the team win. So I couldn't be more pleased with them making a liar/fool out of me.

Old
10-24-2003, 11:35 AM
Mats NAslund

Quote:

I've always been hard on Theodore and I'm still hesitant to say he's a top % goalie in this league. The biggest reason I'm hard on him is because most Montreal fans think he's a top 5 goalie. I see Theodore as just an avg. goalie. He's playing well right now but in a defensive system.
Even at that he's managed to have a hoorible game in Ottawa 2 weak goals and in the loss to Toronto he should have made that save. All in all I want him to succeed but I feel he gets way too much credit in Montreal because he's french.

Here's a list of goalies I would take on my team now ,before Theodore. (In no paricular order)

Brodeur
Hasek
Khabibulin
Luongo
Turco
Giguere

Here's a list of goalies who are at par with Theodore (in no particular order)

Lalime
Kolzig
Thibeault
Joseph
Cechmanek
Biron
Nabokov
Vokoun
Denis
Belfour
Hackett

All this to say Theodore isn't garbage but sure isn't head and shoulders over any one else in the above list, he's an Avg. goalie who sometimes will come accross looking spectacular. His biggest fault is he consistently lets in bad goals in key moments of close games. ie Carolina series of 2 or 3 years ago, he may have stole a series vs. Boston but stunk vs the Canes.

Old
10-24-2003, 11:38 AM
Mats NAslund

Quote:

I couldn't agree more..very well said!

Once teams become mre physical with Ribs what will happen, it's early and Ribs has had success and I'm happy but now that teams know he can play the finness game they're going to check him more closely and be more physical. Will he be able to handle it and still come out on top?
I for one hope so but have my doubts!

Old
10-24-2003, 11:41 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
ie Carolina series of 2 or 3 years ago, he may have stole a series vs. Boston but stunk vs the Canes.

You forgot to mention he delivered the best performance as a goaltender in habs recent history during 67 games. He was better then Roy's best season. How does that make him an average goalie?

I've always been a Perreault basher because I hate his type of player. Always floating around waiting for his wingers to do everything for him. Yesterdays goal was a perfect example, he just waited in front(not even that close like Hossa was doing) of the net while Ryder was battling behind and making a great pass. I just think he's our laziest player who stays in the league because of his hands, he's got some value right now and is in a hot streak, so lets not wait till we get on the road and Perreault does his invisible act to trade him.

Old
10-24-2003, 11:46 AM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier
Besides the seizure factor, its pretty damn sweet!
my sentiments exactly!

Old
10-24-2003, 11:53 AM
doc lafleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund
I've always been hard on Theodore and I'm still hesitant to say he's a top % goalie in this league. The biggest reason I'm hard on him is because most Montreal fans think he's a top 5 goalie. I see Theodore as just an avg. goalie. He's playing well right now but in a defensive system.
Even at that he's managed to have a hoorible game in Ottawa 2 weak goals and in the loss to Toronto he should have made that save. All in all I want him to succeed but I feel he gets way too much credit in Montreal because he's french.

Here's a list of goalies I would take on my team now ,before Theodore. (In no paricular order)

Brodeur
Hasek
Khabibulin
Luongo
Turco
Giguere

Lalime
Kolzig
Thibeault
Joseph
Cechmanek
Biron
Nabokov
Vokoun
Denis
Belfour
Hackett

All this to say Theodore isn't garbage but sure isn't head and shoulders over any one else in the above list, he's an Avg. goalie who sometimes will come accross looking spectacular. His biggest fault is he consistently lets in bad goals in key moments of close games. ie Carolina series of 2 or 3 years ago, he may have stole a series vs. Boston but stunk vs the Canes.
Great call Detroit, Hasek forTheodore if they say no, will take Joseph.

Old
10-24-2003, 11:54 AM
Mats NAslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
You forgot to mention he delivered the best performance as a goaltender in habs recent history during 67 games. He was better then Roy's best season. How does that make him an average goalie?

I've always been a Perreault basher because I hate his type of player. Always floating around waiting for his wingers to do everything for him. Yesterdays goal was a perfect example, he just waited in front(not even that close like Hossa was doing) of the net while Ryder was battling behind and making a great pass. I just think he's our laziest player who stays in the league because of his hands, he's got some value right now and is in a hot streak, so lets not wait till we get on the road and Perreault does his invisible act to trade him.

Just because someone has a good run does not make him a star...take a look at the first list every goalie in that list is better then he is and in the second list you can't tell me that he 's head and shoulders over any one of them. That's what makes him avg. and the fact that he stunk it up for a whole year after his stellar 67 games, as you put it. I guess his 67 games makes him better then Roy as well, give me a break!

Brodeur
Hasek
Khabibulin
Luongo
Turco
Giguere

Lalime
Kolzig
Thibeault
Joseph
Cechmanek
Biron
Nabokov
Vokoun
Denis
Belfour
Hackett

Old
10-24-2003, 12:01 PM
Mats NAslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc lafleur
Great call Detroit, Hasek forTheodore if they say no, will take Joseph.

If Hasek and Joseph were the same age as Theodore I would do it in second! Age and salaries are the only factors here.

1 - Hasek is a better goalie then Theodore and if you think other wise you have have some screws loose. Remember him 5 or 10 years younger.

2- Joseph is still a very good goalie comparable to Theodore if not better, again if they were the same age I would take Joseph over Theodore!

Closed Thread