HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alan Hahn on My Long Island Radio Show Tonight

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2006, 04:00 PM
patchyfogg

vCash: 500
Alan Hahn on My Long Island Radio Show Tonight

While he hasn’t had a Mailbag for a while, Newsday’s Islanders beat writer Alan Hahn will be a guest tonight on my 100% commercial-free, no one makes a dime from it, Long Island Sports Talk radio show.

He will be on at 9:05 on 90.3FM.

Please use this thread to post questions that you would like Alan to answer.

While we’re not yet webcast, I will put the interview—as soon as humanly possible--at
http://hosted.filefront.com/patchyfogg

As always, thanks.

Old
02-23-2006, 04:33 PM
Killer Carlson

I'd want to know what Atilla the Hahn thought about the organization's "blackout" regarding Brent Sutter. Personally, I think that means that Pup told Wang that he is interested, but can't discuss it now. I think that if he said he wasn't interested, there wouldn't be a need for a "blackout".

Thanks.

Old
02-23-2006, 05:34 PM
dok101

vCash: 50
I was interviewed by Alan back in 1999 during his first year on the beat for Newsday and quoted in one of his articles. Back then Alan was really conscious of what the fans thought of him and admitted frequenting some of the Isles message boards (AOL Isles message board). Does he still care what the fans think of how he covers the Isles or does that not matter anymore?

Old
02-23-2006, 05:53 PM
CosmoKramer

vCash:
I want to know what isles he would trade at the deadline and what to do with yashin.

Old
02-23-2006, 06:13 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Likelyhood for Mark Parrish still being an Islander next year?
If not, what happens to him?
Odds for Kvasha being given the boot?
Odds of Brent Sutter becoming a GM/Coach?
Odds for everyone else applying for the above jobs?
Likelyhood of Milbury activity at the deadline and what he predicts?
Is there any glimmer of hope that maybe, possibly, Yashin might not be on the team next year?

Thanks!

Old
02-23-2006, 06:20 PM
Capt Reynolds

In light of the Maven's recent article, how involved with Milbury be with Islander management and player personnel decisions when the new GM is in, or will the new GM answer only to Wang without Milbury looking over his shoulder or meddling?

Old
02-23-2006, 07:42 PM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson
I'd want to know what Atilla the Hahn
As James Tiberius Kirk would say, "Haaaaaaaaahhhnnnnn!!"

Old
02-23-2006, 07:42 PM
nyisles131

Who are some of the defensemen that the Islanders should go after in the offseason (within the limits of their payroll structure, of course)?

Is someone like Zdeno Chara or Wade Redden returning to Long Island after this season a possibility?

Old
02-23-2006, 08:00 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
nyisles131 welcome.My questions are along the same lines.

Patchyfogg,ask Hahn if the Isles are looking to dump Sopel,to free up his salary.

and is there any truth to the rumor,that the new gm will have the final call on buying out Yashin?$20m is a lot of dough.Even spread out over 10m yrs.

thanks

Old
02-23-2006, 08:10 PM
patchyfogg

FYI: Alan had to switch the time to 10:15 instead of 9:05.

Old
02-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Which prospects are Isles mananagment particulary high on? Does Bergenheim's recent scoring suggest he may have some more offensive talent than initially thought?

Is Isles management at all concerned with The Rick's inconsistency?

Will the Isles have any money (or payroll room) to spend on UFAs this summer?

Old
02-23-2006, 08:15 PM
My friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C.
As James Tiberius Kirk would say, "Haaaaaaaaahhhnnnnn!!"

http://www.khaaan.com/

Classic movie line

Old
02-23-2006, 08:52 PM
edallas

With all the horrible trades that Milbury has made throughout the years, will he still have any influence on Charles Wang in choosing a new GM and coach.

Old
02-23-2006, 08:56 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
and is there any truth to the rumor,that the new gm will have the final call on buying out Yashin?$20m is a lot of dough.Even spread out over 10m yrs.

thanks
Crew, where was this rumor raised (aside from a plea among some of us here on message boards)?

Not doubting you, and you are a rare cautious poster when it comes to things like this, so I'm curious.

...And can only hope that the rumor is fact. Your's truly will be reborn as an NYI fan should the next GM be granted that power, and act on it.

Rebuilding, drafting, trading beyond this season is pretty much moot, IMO, until that issue is addressed. It all starts there.

Old
02-23-2006, 11:51 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
I was unable to catch the "airing of Hahnnn," can any give an overall synopsis of the show?

Old
02-24-2006, 07:49 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Crew, where was this rumor raised (aside from a plea among some of us here on message boards)?

I read the rumor on a fan message board.Hardly a credible source I know.That's why I'm interested in reading what Hahn says.

Old
02-24-2006, 09:55 AM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles
I was unable to catch the "airing of Hahnnn," can any give an overall synopsis of the show?
I posted a synopsis in the Audio link thread.

BTW, I LOVE that Khaaaan! site.

Old
02-24-2006, 10:23 AM
Killer Carlson

Thanks, patchy, for interviewing Hahn. Personally, I think that Hahn gets a bad rep on this board. I'm not sure if people are just mad at Newsday for not paying more attention to the Isles and they take it out on him or what, but for my money, I think he is pretty good. (My Genghis Hahn and Atilla the Hahn jokes aside, of course!)

(And the www.khaaan.com site is amazing!)

Old
02-24-2006, 10:44 AM
Capt Reynolds

Personally, I like Hahhhhhn! too, Killer. His articles have been less hands-on this year but I'm not sure how much of it is what Newsday dictates to him. I've always felt he was the best beat writer, and when you hear his interview it comes across how knowledgeable he is. And, how he's also a fan. I like the guy, I just wish Newsday would give him more space.

Old
02-24-2006, 11:03 AM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Personally, I like Hahhhhhn! too, Killer. His articles have been less hands-on this year but I'm not sure how much of it is what Newsday dictates to him. I've always felt he was the best beat writer, and when you hear his interview it comes across how knowledgeable he is. And, how he's also a fan. I like the guy, I just wish Newsday would give him more space.
Sort of like how I wish my wife would give ME more space!

But yes...I'm with you fully on Hahhhhhhhn!

Old
02-24-2006, 11:27 AM
NYIsles1*

Thanks to Patchy for taking the time to do this as he always does, and of course thanks to Hahn to take his time and do an interview by telephone.

That said I want Hahn off the Islanders beat, he's lazy at his job and hurts the product by never doing features on the players so the fans never get to identify with the team. More often than not he does not have the pulse of what the fans are looking for daily in his game coverage or his player features.

I think were getting to the point anyone giving any coverage at all is doing a good job just because they write something/anything. Just because he does a phone interview or a mailbag does not give him a pass for shoddy work where we have not had a single feature article on Satan, Zhitnik, Sopel, Campoli or any of the new players or really no features on the time he has been the teams beatwriter.

Go look at the job Michael Fornabaio does in Bridgeport for the Sound Tigers, the fans get to know almost every player on that team. When the Islanders went to Yarmouth we learned more about players and prospects in a week than we did from years of Hahn, he wastes some of the space he is provided.

During his time as beatwriter he has repeatedly demonstrated that he will only go out of his way for players who make his job easier and seems to avoid the European players on the roster and because of it we never got to know Hamrlik, Jonsson and others, we learned more about Janne Niinimaa from one Edmonton Journal article (from an Oilers visit to the Coliseum in 2004) than we did in three years of Hahn's coverage of him.

Our players are always considered under-rated because of his lack of selling them to the public only time he did anything on Jonsson in 2004 was a day Peca refused to talk after a bad loss, only then did Hahn praise Jonsson for how he has played after he was done beating up Peca for not talking that day.

Like it or not Hahn also has not grasped the concept that he does need to sell this team, Brooks, Dellapina and Diamos sell the Rangers and protects them like vested fans when it's necessary, Hahn does not do that for this team and never has. He also seems not willing to speak up for the organization as other teams beatwriters do at times when it's necessary.

Also there is no excuse for reporting Parrish only signed a one year deal in August as he claimed it was because of Yashin when he was never signed and never corrected himself nor did he make any effort in interviews with Milbury to even ask what the story was with Jonsson.

It seems clear to me he has a problem with Alexei Yashin because he does not fill his quotebook and always has.

IMO, it's time for a change at Newsday in terms of Islander beatwriter. During the lockout he basically made it clear he has no interest in the Sound Tigers beyond putting out the labels on prospect that made Raffi Torres seem like a third line forward that fans read and quote here.

Old
02-24-2006, 12:27 PM
Killer Carlson

How do you know that Hahn doesn't continually ask for more space to write features about players and Newsday shoots him down? Unless you're in their staff meetings at Newsday, you can't accurately state whether or not he wants to write more articles.

I'll agree that the guy for the Sound Tigers does a good job but keep in mind that he HAS to sell the players to the readers. There isn't coverage of their team on major tv outlets or on major websites or anything like that. Not to mention that there is generally more turnover at that level so teams frequently change from year to year and you have to educate your audience about the new faces in order to sell tickets. Yes, we had that same situation this year on the Island with the lockout causing so much player turnover but any LI resident could walk into Sports Authority or Modell's and see Satan t-shirts for sale. My point is that just by the nature of the beast, NHL movement makes more noise and you don't have to publicize it to the degree that they need to do at the lower levels.

Would the team benefit from more coverage, both in terms of attendance and overall support? Absolutely. However, I don't think we can necessarily blame Hahn for the lack of coverage. I put more of the blame on Newsday.

Old
02-24-2006, 01:00 PM
Capt Reynolds

I know I would like to have more "one on one" features or behind the scenes stuff from our beat writers. To me, that is the biggest thing lacking. But I do wonder as Killer suggests how much of that is really in Hahn's hands and how much is the editors of the paper. When I hear Alan in his interviews he comes off as a true fan and very knowledgeable and that he DOES know this behind the scenes stuff, so I wonder if it not making into the columns is because of how the paper is telling him to write them.

The Parrish error, and similar factual errors, of course are inexcusable though.

Old
02-24-2006, 01:07 PM
nyisles131

What was the Parrish error?

Old
02-24-2006, 01:10 PM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
The Parrish error, and similar factual errors, of course are inexcusable though.
Good catch, Joe C. I didn't mean to not mention that point. You're 100% right that it is inexcusable.

Closed Thread