HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Alan Hahn on My Long Island Radio Show Tonight

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2006, 12:42 PM
Trottier
Very Random

vCash: 500
I'll leave it to others closer to the scene to question Hahn's editorial direction and laziness in reporting.

Will say this, emphatically, however:

The faux-journalistic standards of the NYR shills of other papers are not a level of reporting to which Mr. Hahn need strive.

We periodically rip each of the NYR beat reporters for blatantly selling out for NYR, and justifiably so, IMO. I would hope NYI fans are astute enough to want more than puff pieces and feel-good propaganda.

As a media consumer, spare me the pom-poms. Just give me some truth.

Last edited by Trottier: 02-24-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Old
02-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
As a media consumer, spare me the pom-poms. Just give me some truth.
You can't HANDLE the truth! (Sorry, Trots, I just had to use the line!!! )

Old
02-24-2006, 08:04 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
We periodically rip each of the NYR beat reporters for blatantly selling out for NYR, and justifiably so, IMO. I would hope NYI fans are astute enough to want more than puff pieces and feel-good propaganda.
All we read in league circles is how anyone who plays well here is under-rated, that does directly on the beatwriter for never doing puff pieces and some feel-good propaganda that is necessary at times to help sell the product for the same reasons Newsday is doing features in their paper selling March 4th.

Hahn sure has no problem finding time and space to single out players when they struggle, in fact he goes out of his way for that.

Meanwhile Jagr got a Newsday feature, so did the Garden last Sunday, apparently the space is there for a beatwriter to do hockey a feature, aside from one on Blake/Laviolette a few years ago when was the last time Hahn let the public get to know a player on this team?

Funny but how come almost all quotes these days come almost exclusively from Parrish, DiPietro and Blake. From posting the articles (as I do almost every day) I see the trends and for many players to even get a sentence of quoted in an article is extremely rare.

Funny that this man can write books about 1980 but when it comes time to tell the public this team is special and important to New York and he cannot bring himself to write with the passion of a George Vecsey of the Times who called the Islanders the greatest sports team of their generation and wrote of this team with passion, or Mike Lupica who nicknamed the Coliseum Fort Neverlose and in those days made hockey important here, or the quality of Doug Gould/Mark Berman's work in the Post among countless other beatwriters Hahn comes up painfully short in every possible way.

To me Hahn comes off as passionless as Yashin when it's time for him to show some pride in our team and give us an article from the heart.

Old
02-24-2006, 08:07 PM
Darth Milbury

Well said, fearless moderator.

I completely agree.

In addition to coaching and GM changes, I think the time has come for a change in Newsday's beat reporter.

Closed Thread