HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

He speaks! Zherdev interview

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Metallian*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenaltyShots
Hey, thank you to everyone who responded. Interesting stuff. Would be cool if Z did play for the Ukraine. I don't think it's out of the question. He is a proud kid, and someday soon teams will be lobbying for his talent in the Olympics. I am sure he will be invited in 2010.

I don't know how Z feels about the U.S., but based on his young age, I could see him becoming a U.S. citizen at some point.
All I do know, is it would be nice to have some natural goal scorers on Team USA, in addition to all the politically correct players, face-off studs & 2-way centers. I mean, the point is to score goals; the rest is for the birds... and all the experts on HF Boards.
It's too late for him to get US citizenship and play for them. You have to have played for the countries team for 4 years to be eligible to switch.

Catch with Ukraine is that...well....thats where he was born and raised, but went to Russia for the hockey program (like many American kids go to the OHL in Canada for hockey)

Old
02-24-2006, 02:27 PM
jimotis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallian
It's too late for him to get US citizenship and play for them. You have to have played for the countries team for 4 years to be eligible to switch.

Catch with Ukraine is that...well....thats where he was born and raised, but went to Russia for the hockey program (like many American kids go to the OHL in Canada for hockey)
kiev was part of the ussr when he was born...

Old
02-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Metallian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimotis
kiev was part of the ussr when he was born...
the USSR no longer exists, so how can he play for it?

Old
02-24-2006, 02:33 PM
donniedarko

Nik would play for team Russia....

Old
02-24-2006, 02:40 PM
Metallian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko
Nik would play for team Russia....
catch being: if they continue to blacklist him - will he want to play for Russia?

big thread in the Olympics forum about it now, but Z didn't even make the taxi squad or even be a call-up to the taxi squad so far...which defies logic

Old
02-24-2006, 02:42 PM
PenaltyShots

What's the story on Morozov? Is he Russian? Expected to see him playing in the Olympics...

Old
02-24-2006, 02:44 PM
donniedarko

Quote:
catch being: if they continue to blacklist him - will he want to play for Russia?

big thread in the Olympics forum about it now, but Z didn't even make the taxi squad or even be a call-up to the taxi squad so far...which defies logic
He would love to play for Russia. When Nik went back to Russia during the lockout, all was forgotten...at least thats what I have read....

Old
02-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:

Hard to say what motivates him. Sure, if it were me, I think I'd want to play for Ukraine (and personally, I'd hope Nik would, too). Maybe in his heart of hearts he wants to play for Russia. Maybe it has more to do with who his teammates would be than which country he'd represent. That seems possible, especially for a young kid.

Old
02-24-2006, 02:47 PM
Metallian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenaltyShots
What's the story on Morozov? Is he Russian? Expected to see him playing in the Olympics...
for some reason....he has still not been picked to play (like Z)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko
He would love to play for Russia. When Nik went back to Russia during the lockout, all was forgotten...at least thats what I have read....
yeah, a lot of this is wishful thinking on my part but from what i've read there is some bitterness towards him from Russias coaching staff...

if he ends up playing for RUS at the WC's then I guess this is all a fuss about nothing

Old
02-24-2006, 03:16 PM
jimotis

z elevated his game after the first of the year. the squads were picked well before then. if he keeps playing tougher and smarter hockey with the effort hes shown of late things will be bright.

Old
02-28-2006, 04:07 PM
hossua34
Mutt

Send a message via AIM to hossua34 Send a message via Yahoo to hossua34
Columbus isn't New York City, Chicago, LA, Toronto, Montreal, etc.... but as mentioned before, it does have a large Russian population - very large for a city its size. One of my best friends was born in Moscow, moved here as a kid and went to high school with me, and now makes a nice sum of money just driving various elderly Russian patients to doctor's appointments and translating for them.

I think Nikolai is naturally a quiet kid. It's hard to judge a book by its cover but you can kind of see it in his face. And I get the impression that he hasn't has an extremely easy life. That being said, he'll be happier enough here when he gets a better handle on the situation. Columbus doesn't have any other pro sports teams - you think Alexander Frolov gets recognized on the streets a lot in LA?!?! or Prucha in NYC? On the cosmipolitan city front - just imagine his reaction after a few weeks in Calgary, Raleigh, Edmonton, etc..... could be worse.

Closed Thread