HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ticket Prices

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2006, 05:20 PM
cjdv16

vCash: 500
Ticket Prices

I just remembered why I won't be attending any home Isles games this year or any time soon. It's called $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I guess I got caught up in the hype related to the 1980 team tribute so I looked on TicketMaster.com and saw 3rd ROW 300 SECTION SEATS FOR $95 EACH.

I just watched the Devils/Isles from 2 rows behind the bench. While those tickets were given to me, the face value on them was ONLY $90.00.

Where do the Islanders get off charging what they charge and then sticking you half way up the rafters?????? Am I to thank my lucky stars that for $70.00 I can watch the game from obstructed seats? What a shame. So much for hockey being an affordable, family sport.

No offense, I can't believe that anyone is paying what they pay to watch these games (the exception being those folks who got major discounts on season tix).

Note: If anyone has 2 extra, reasonably priced tickets for the March 4th game, I'd be interested. Otherwise, I'll watch from my living room. Thanks.

Old
02-23-2006, 05:24 PM
HajdukSplit

This is not only the Islanders, most NHL teams outside of maybe Nashville and other places trying to get the public into the game. (I heard Nashville has $10 tickets!)

But it is ridiculous, the best sport to watch live but you need to pay $70-90 for tickets, probably $10 for parking and double that for food/drink if needed

Old
02-23-2006, 05:41 PM
NYIsles1*

I do not know what some folks expect Wang to do here, he's going to lose as much as he did prior to the lockout which is around 20m. He can cut the payroll or he can put out a payroll near the max and charge what he does.

What he cannot do is ice a mid-30's payroll near the cap with ticket prices from the late nineties, he cannot lose 30-40m and Smg takes ticket revenue also.

Supposedly that three game pack has discounts and includes the March 4th game, does that lower the price for the one game?

You going to pick one game to attend the March 4th game is the one, my guess is you will never see this group together on ice again in this building and given some of Al Arbour's health problems the last few year my guess is it's the last time he will be at the Coliseum for an announced event.

Perhaps this is a better alternative than ticketmaster?
For all of your ticket needs, contact the Islanders at 1-800-882-ISLES to speak with an Islanders ticket representative.

Last edited by NYIsles1*: 02-23-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old
02-23-2006, 08:50 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
I do not know what some folks expect Wang to do here, he's going to lose as much as he did prior to the lockout which is around 20m. He can cut the payroll or he can put out a payroll near the max and charge what he does.

What he cannot do is ice a mid-30's payroll near the cap with ticket prices from the late nineties, he cannot lose 30-40m and Smg takes ticket revenue also.

Supposedly that three game pack has discounts and includes the March 4th game, does that lower the price for the one game?

You going to pick one game to attend the March 4th game is the one, my guess is you will never see this group together on ice again in this building and given some of Al Arbour's health problems the last few year my guess is it's the last time he will be at the Coliseum for an announced event.

Perhaps this is a better alternative than ticketmaster?
For all of your ticket needs, contact the Islanders at 1-800-882-ISLES to speak with an Islanders ticket representative.
i'll give 882-ISLES a call.... maybe they'll finally give me my rally towel from the 04 playoffs.

Old
02-24-2006, 10:05 AM
Fantom

This is not only the Islanders, most NHL teams outside of maybe Nashville and other places trying to get the public into the game. (I heard Nashville has $10 tickets!)

But it is ridiculous, the best sport to watch live but you need to pay $70-90 for tickets, probably $10 for parking and double that for food/drink if needed

This is not true the islanders are one of the most pricey NHL teams to go see live. It has alot to to with nassau county though. I hear ya though for 95 dollars you should be at center ice 200. Not in the 300 and not behind the net 200 Center ice. I have been to philly Nj pit MSG and some toher teams you can center ice seats that are equal to the nyi 200 center for about 65-80 dollars. At nvmc they cost 120 no thanks.

Old
02-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Melanson

I was in San Jose on business last month and bought tix to the Sharks/Kings at the box office. $33 per ticket which were 10 rows up in the upper level (equivalent to the 300's). This has been typical of other arenas I have traveled to throughout the country.

Last year I was in NJ so I decided to go to an Isles game. $90 per ticket....3 rows from the last row at the top

Old
02-24-2006, 12:41 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16
I just remembered why I won't be attending any home Isles games this year or any time soon. It's called $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I guess I got caught up in the hype related to the 1980 team tribute so I looked on TicketMaster.com and saw 3rd ROW 300 SECTION SEATS FOR $95 EACH.

I just watched the Devils/Isles from 2 rows behind the bench. While those tickets were given to me, the face value on them was ONLY $90.00.

Where do the Islanders get off charging what they charge and then sticking you half way up the rafters?????? Am I to thank my lucky stars that for $70.00 I can watch the game from obstructed seats? What a shame. So much for hockey being an affordable, family sport.

No offense, I can't believe that anyone is paying what they pay to watch these games (the exception being those folks who got major discounts on season tix).

Note: If anyone has 2 extra, reasonably priced tickets for the March 4th game, I'd be interested. Otherwise, I'll watch from my living room. Thanks.
Ummm...since when were Row 3 in the 300 section "obstructed view" seats?

As far as NYI ticket prices, . If you chose not to pay for whatever reason, then that's YOUR choice. I don't see what the problem is. If the team actually was AWARE that you don't want to pay those prices, then maybe they would consider reducing them b/c fans are not showing up. Until then, NYI offer plenty of discounts to take advantage of. If not, there's always your couch...

Ever think where the front 5 rows in the 300 section would be in about 80% of the other arenas in the league?

Old
02-24-2006, 01:23 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
Ummm...since when were Row 3 in the 300 section "obstructed view" seats?

As far as NYI ticket prices, . If you chose not to pay for whatever reason, then that's YOUR choice. I don't see what the problem is. If the team actually was AWARE that you don't want to pay those prices, then maybe they would consider reducing them b/c fans are not showing up. Until then, NYI offer plenty of discounts to take advantage of. If not, there's always your couch...

Ever think where the front 5 rows in the 300 section would be in about 80% of the other arenas in the league?
i said $70.00 (and $55.00) for obstructed seats is ridiculous. i made no mention of 3rd row in the 300's ($90.00)being obstructed. understand? or do i need to spell it out more clearly.

i also can't understand how 3rd row 300 seats in the coliseum can cost $90.00 when for the same money in jersey, you sit 6 rows off the ice.

do the math.

Old
02-25-2006, 09:20 PM
Islanders4Life*

On one hand I cant blame Wang because I really believe he is losing money and he has to get it back somehow, but on the other hand ticket prices for the Islanders is an absolute joke, Islanders have the 2nd highest box office prices in the league behind the Maple leafs who sell out all there games

Old
02-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Riddick

theres got to be some kind of middle ground. As I was stating with inquiring about the television deal the Islanders have, I STILL dont get how he is losing 30+mil a season if he has a mid 30's payroll. It just defies logic. With all that said, walkup's should NEVER cost more then a ticket you can buy beforehand.

And i know im no mathemetician(that cant be right), but isnt 100% capacity at 75% ticket prices better then 60% capacity at 100% ticket prices??

Old
02-26-2006, 04:41 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders4Life
On one hand I cant blame Wang because I really believe he is losing money and he has to get it back somehow, but on the other hand ticket prices for the Islanders is an absolute joke, Islanders have the 2nd highest box office prices in the league behind the Maple leafs who sell out all there games
Islanders avg ticket price is rated tenth in the NHL.

http://www.teammarketing.com/fci.cfm

Old
02-26-2006, 06:07 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Quote:

It is pretty stupid how I can see about five concerts for the same price.

Old
02-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Islanders4Life*

Quote:

that is pure garbage, Islanders either lied about there ticket prices or they included those $10 promotional tickets and season tickets(which are heavily reduced)

I said the 2nd highest Box office prices in the league

think about it how the hell is the average ticket price $44 when the only seats under $55 are the obsturcted view seats that are the last 3 rows in the building

the average box office ticket is probably about $85

Old
02-26-2006, 11:38 PM
cjdv16

i'm glad to see that there are other people on this board (other than blitz) who aren't made of money.

for a while i was beginning to question my income and value of the dollar. prior to this post, i thought i was doing quite well. you scared me blitz.

Old
02-27-2006, 05:14 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
that is pure garbage, Islanders either lied about there ticket prices or they included those $10 promotional tickets and season tickets(which are heavily reduced)

I said the 2nd highest Box office prices in the league
How is any team going to lie about individual ticket prices when the box offices prices are listed for individual games on the teams website and at the ticketmaster link.

Team Marketing Report is not affilated with the NHL and does this for all teams in professional sports, they also did this back in 03-04 for all NHL teams and at that time the Islanders avg price was much higher and in the top two-three teams on avg.

No one is made of money and the prices are absolutely high (because they have to be for what the team losses and what Smg takes and because people will pay that much money for them) it seems the Islanders marketing strategy has been to cater more to the people who purchase seats for more than one game.

Old
02-27-2006, 09:16 AM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
No one is made of money and the prices are absolutely high (because they have to be for what the team losses and what Smg takes and because people will pay that much money for them) it seems the Islanders marketing strategy has been to cater more to the people who purchase seats for more than one game.
And since our attendance sucks, maybe it is time to reassess that marketing strategy?

I've been to 5 games thus far. I bought $10 tix for 3 of them. A Family Fun Pack for 1 and got freebies from a buddy's relative to another, plus more freebies for tomorrow night. At regular prices, there is no way that I would be seeing 6 games this year. With a mortgage, 2 kids and rising costs...not a chance.

Old
02-27-2006, 09:40 AM
rmaher07

If the team was half way decent, those prices would justify the cost. However, as the 2nd half of the season begins, + the long shot the isles have of making playoffs, I feel it's a complete rip. + Don't forget, playoff tix prices

If you really want to get your moneys worth, take a trip to Bridgeport - Awesome prices - great seats - great hockey! Go Tigers!

Old
02-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Islanders4Life*

Quote:
How is any team going to lie about individual ticket prices when the box offices prices are listed for individual games on the teams website and at the ticketmaster link.

Team Marketing Report is not affilated with the NHL and does this for all teams in professional sports, they also did this back in 03-04 for all NHL teams and at that time the Islanders avg price was much higher and in the top two-three teams on avg.

I said box office prices, not the promotional tickets or reduced season tickets which is obviously what they based that report on

How is it possible that the Islanders have a average ticket prices of $44 when only a few hundred tickets are under $55

And do the research yourself, go check out every teams website, you will find the Islanders have the 2nd highest Box Office prices behind the leafs

Old
02-27-2006, 06:22 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16
i'm glad to see that there are other people on this board (other than blitz) who aren't made of money.

for a while i was beginning to question my income and value of the dollar. prior to this post, i thought i was doing quite well. you scared me blitz.

It is what it is...remember it is an entertainment expense aka it is optional.

Maybe much to your surprise, but I did not renew my season tix this past season b/c I did not like the team put forth and the price. I informed the rep of this and told him to contact me midseason after I evaluate whether NYI are putting forth a successful season. My money. My option. I am not beating the deadhorse about it.

If you have to pay full price, then don't you think that this honoring ceremony game is the one to pay for? You would pay the same price to watch any other regular season game absent every Dynasty player on the ice and all the hoopla around it. Sounds like a bonus to me...

Old
02-27-2006, 11:21 PM
HajdukSplit

outer filed box Mets tickets are about the same price as upper level Islanders tickets, I know they are two different sports and the Mets play twice as many home games as the Isles.

Not only that, but for Isles fans outside of Long Island (yes they exist) its a pain in the *** to have to leave 4 hours before the game starts and come home at about midnight

Old
02-27-2006, 11:48 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
I said box office prices, not the promotional tickets or reduced season tickets which is obviously what they based that report on
We have no idea how they came up with an avg ticket price or what teams gave them for information or even if they bothered asking the teams.

It's not as easy as going to these teams websites and printing out their individual ticket prices at the box office and making a comparision, the Devils did not have their individual ticket prices advertised on the website. I'm curious how you were able to find individual prices for thirty teams and make a comparision when some do not need to sell individual tickets and have waiting lists for tickets.

Your also not including the NY area is one of the richest and most expensive in the country, a price for a hockey game here as opposed to Phoenix or Carolina is going to be more expensive because it costs more to operate a team here.

The TMR claims it's avg ticket price and they have the Islanders one notch above the avg price for the league. The last four rows at $25-30 is more than a few hundred tickets at box office prices.

I'm not going to tell you prices to attend a hockey game here are not very expensive or that high prices are killing the walkup for those wanting to attend individual games. I respect and understand the frustration of everyone who is upset with the prices and cannot afford to attend but given what Smg takes and the reported losses I'm not sure what folks expect management to do unless they want payroll dropped to off-set it somewhat. Of course when the payroll was lower folks did not attend because the product on the ice was poor, regardless of ticket prices. I feel bad for all sides here (including myself) in this because it's not like Wang's making money operating this team, if he were that would be another story.

I'm not sure I agree with the marketing strategy to give the biggest discounts only to the season ticket holders or folks who have plans to attend games but I understand they want to be the most loyal to those who have stuck with them all these years.

As Blitz wrote, the choice belongs to the individual.

Old
02-27-2006, 11:59 PM
KH1

As NYIsles1 said, Wang is stuck between a rock and a hard place because the fact of the matter is that if he can't make money from the Isles he at least can't afford to keep hemorraging cash. When you look at the SMG deal that was already in place when he bought the team it almost looks like an act of philanthropy on Wang's part.

On the other hand, I can't really attend games in person because I don't have the money to get out to Nassau and back, plus food plus hundred dollar tickets.

Old
02-28-2006, 05:00 PM
Islanders4Life*

on a related note, the Islanders have BY FAR AND AWAY the worst attendance in the NHL, leading by over 1,000 fans per game to the second worst team the Washington Capitals

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?sort=home_avg&year=2006

Old
02-28-2006, 10:11 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
on a related note, the Islanders have BY FAR AND AWAY the worst attendance in the NHL, leading by over 1,000 fans per game to the second worst team the Washington Capitals
Not sure it's related that much at all and usually how the team plays determines the fan turnout and in a bad year the Coliseum (especially after a lockout) they have 77.7 percent of the seats filled in a very old building according the the Espn estimate link for attendance which is usually just reported figures. Four other teams have lower capacity of their seats filled, is that about prices also?

More people showed up in 03-04 when the tickets were the same or higher than they are now, in 01-02 the Islanders solid out more than half the games. When you win and people do not show up, that's a problem that's more related to ticket prices.

Old
03-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Islanders4Life*

They just released some Cheap seats on ticketmaster for the 1980 game

Closed Thread