HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Montreal Canadiens @ Islanders 2/28, 7:00PM FSNY-1130AM

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2006, 05:14 PM
CosmoKramer

vCash:
Montreal Canadiens @ Islanders 2/28, 7:00PM FSNY-1130AM

Montreal Canadiens @ New York Islanders 2/28, 7:00pm FSNY-Radio Bloomberg 1130

@

Canadiens Lead Season Series 1-0

Probable Starting Goalies

Goalies....................GP W---L GAA---SV--GA --SA
Rick Dipietro..........42 18-16-3.45-1085 134 .890

Cristobal Huet.......17--6--5-2.37--477--38 .926

Leaders

NY Islanders
Goals: Miroslav Satan (24)
Assists: Mike York (32)
+/-: Zhitnik/Kvasha (+2)
PIM: Aaron Asham (97)
Shots: Jason Blake (206)

Canadiens
Goals: Michael Ryder (23)
Assists: 4 Tied With (25)
+/-: Steve Begin (+6)
PIM: Steve Begin (97)
Shots: Michael Ryder (158)

Team Stats

Islanders
GP--W--- L-- OTL PTS GSF GSA PP% PK%-----HOME------AWAY
56 25 27--4--52--165 200 18.1 78.4 12-13-2 13-14-2

Canadiens
GP--W---L--OTL PTS GSF GSA PP% PK%---HOME------AWAY
56 26 22--8--60-160 180 18.1 80.7 16-7-4 10-15-4

Injuries:

Islanders
Petteri Nokelainen: (Knee injury) is sidelined indefinitely

Canadiens
Garth Murray : (Separated right shoulder) sidelined indefinitely
Jose Theodore : (Heel injury) out for remainder of the season

Let's win one for Colley

DiPietro returns to the Islanders after a disappointing effort by Team USA in Turin. He was in net in the Americans' win over Kazakhstan and one-goal losses to Slovakia and eventual gold-medal winner Sweden.

DiPietro made 31 saves and Alexei Yashin scored the game-winning goal midway though the second period in New York's last contest before the break, a 2-1 victory over New Jersey on Feb. 11.

The Islanders have won five straight at home over the Canadiens, limiting them to one goal in each of the last four games at Nassau Coliseum.

The Canadiens will be without former Hart and Vezina Trophy winner Jose Theodore for the next six to eight weeks after he suffered a broken heel in a fall outside his Montreal home on Feb. 16.

Huet started the last six games in place of an ineffective Theodore leading up to the break, and went 3-1-2 with a 1.31 goals-against average and two shutouts. He is 20-25-11 with a 2.40 GAA and six shutouts in 70 career games, while Danis is 3-2-0 with a 2.69 GAA and one shutout in six contests this season.

Montreal is in eighth place in the Eastern Conference, one point ahead of Toronto and two in front of Atlanta and Boston. New York is six points behind the Canadiens in 12th place.

Lets Go Islanders Lets Go Islanders

Last edited by CosmoKramer: 02-28-2006 at 01:14 AM.

Old
02-23-2006, 05:15 PM
Seph

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Wow, someone's anxious for NHL action.

Old
02-26-2006, 04:58 PM
NYIsles1*

To all posters:

Our game threads at times have gotten out of hand with some of the content and commentary so I want to make a few things clear for anyone posting. I'm asking this out of courtsey to your fellow posters who do come here to read or discuss the current game and have been unable to at times.

It should also go without wrtiting it that no one is telling anyone not to be negative if that's how you see something. I just want to allow the folks who want to talk about the game here the opportunity to do so, that's why it's a gamethread.

1. The game thread is for the current Islander--Montreal game so fans of any team can come here and talk about this game. If your point is about something not related to the current game IE: (like trades from several years ago or the arena situtation) use the threads that are on the board already. If something is not on the first two pages of the board, please start a new topic.

2. No Trolling/Do not feed the trolls. If you think someone is trolling (or breaking any of the board guidelines) report the post using the ! key at the bottom left of every posting box. You have no business flaming back other posters or calling them trolls and further disrupting the thread while reporting the post, let us handle what is ours to handle.

3. Make hockey points in your discussion. If you disagree with someone you have no right to be disrespectful, tell them why you disagree if you like but the discussion should be strictly about hockey.

4. Do not hijack the gamethread by taking it off-topic because your frustrated with the game. Some folks at times take the gamethread and turn it into their own state of the Islanders rant to a point the gamethread is disrupted with a lot of discussion which has nothing to do with the game which is the only reason why folks should be posting in this thread, in other words center your discussion in this thread around the current game being played and post other content where it's appropriate.

5. Anyone who disrupts the thread will be alerted the first time, anyone who does this repeatedly will be warned until they stop or ban themselves.

Anyone with questions about any of this feel free to send a private message only.
Thank You.

Old
02-26-2006, 05:04 PM
NYIsles1*

Good to have Islander hockey back, would have perferred a Wednesday or Thursday game so Yashin has a few days of rest but some Canadians had to play in Turin and are just as tired and one or two had to even play Sunday.

No idea on Zhitnik beyond he saying he hopes he can play in this game, Smith, Nilsson and Bouchard were recalled with Pettinen going to Bridgeport.

All that said this is a must game, in terms of playoffs, trade-deadline direction, basically everything. Nothing less than an Islander win in regulation really helps and this team better come out and play with desperation.

If Shaw has any hope of returning in any capacity it's showtime for him as his team must prove right now with this game they can elevate their play.

Old
02-26-2006, 06:25 PM
CosmoKramer

vCash:
Zhitnik is expected to play.

Old
02-26-2006, 10:41 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGodard49
Zhitnik is expected to play.
nice. let's see if he remembered how to play hockey.

looking forward to this game. it's doubtful that the isles will have made any deals w/the deadline being lifted.

i think they're in too much of a questionable position so i doubt we will see any fresh faces.

i'm hopefull that they leave nillson up and let's watch him grow.... bergie would be a nice addition too to add some spark.

big game... keeping those fingers crossed.

Old
02-27-2006, 06:19 AM
Moosie

Back from the Olympics

It's great to have the mixed blessing that is Islanders hockey back again. I heard JD and Doc say the Red Wings players who are returning from Turin will not play tomorrow in San Jose. That's at least 6 regulars. The Wnigs are calling up AHL players to fill the spots.

Old
02-27-2006, 07:24 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie
It's great to have the mixed blessing that is Islanders hockey back again. I heard JD and Doc say the Red Wings players who are returning from Turin will not play tomorrow in San Jose. That's at least 6 regulars. The Wnigs are calling up AHL players to fill the spots.
On the heels of playing eight games in 11 and 12 days respectively, Bulis and Koivu will now return to the Canadiens with medals around their necks as they begin the final leg of the NHL regular season Tuesday in New York against the Islanders.

Add Kovalev to that equasion who played Saturday for Russia with Yashin.

Old
02-27-2006, 11:59 AM
blitzkriegs

This should be a "W," but then again, NYI love to pop out goose eggs during such games...

Old
02-27-2006, 11:37 PM
Hunter07

Send a message via AIM to Hunter07
Well it's been a while since I've posted. Been in Colorodo, but i read the posts over the olympic break. I'm going to this game and hopefully ill see a new team. With Yashin showing some emotion w/ Russia. DP playing fairly well and Satan having fun with the Slovaks, I expect to see a team finally ready to play. Unfortunatly we are about to play a team fighting just as hard as us and one of the hottest players in the olympics, Koivu. Should be fun i see a real close like 4-3 game.

Old
02-28-2006, 12:12 AM
NYIsles1*

According to Newsday Snow may get the start. Yashin and Satan must be exhausted, the players on the Habs, are they even going home or straight from Turin to New York.

I expect a sloppy game with some tired players and rust from both sides, given up predicting what kind of Islander team we will see from game to game. Only good news is in the early game in Montreal they skated rings around the Isles, this may slow them down and make it more of a contest suited to play in the corners which I guess could be to the Isles benefit.

Old
02-28-2006, 07:53 AM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
According to Newsday Snow may get the start. Yashin and Satan must be exhausted, the players on the Habs, are they even going home or straight from Turin to New York.

I expect a sloppy game with some tired players and rust from both sides, given up predicting what kind of Islander team we will see from game to game. Only good news is in the early game in Montreal they skated rings around the Isles, this may slow them down and make it more of a contest suited to play in the corners which I guess could be to the Isles benefit.

good points, but regardless, is anyone else chomping at the bit for 7pm tonight????

Old
02-28-2006, 10:27 AM
NYIsles1*

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/score...9/NHL17949.htm

Canadiens-Islanders Preview
GAME: Montreal Canadiens (26-22-8) at New York Islanders (25-27-4).TIME: Tuesday, 7 p.m. EST.

Montreal coach Bob Gainey will call on either Cristobal Huet or rookie Yann Danis when the Canadiens return from the Olympic break to meet Team USA goaltender Rick DiPietro and the New York Islanders.

TEAM LEADERS: Canadiens - Michael Ryder, 23 goals; four with 25 assists; Saku Koivu and Alexei Kovalev, 39 points; Steve Begin, 97 PIM. Islanders - Miroslav Satan, 24 goals; Mike York, 32 assists; Yashin, 47 points; Arron Asham, 97 PIM.

SPECIAL TEAMS: Canadiens - Power play: 18.1 percent (56 for 309), 12th in NHL. Penalty killing: 80.8 percent (282 for 349), 21st. Islanders - Power play: 18.1 percent (58 for 321), 13th. Penalty killing: 78.4 percent (272 for 347), 28th.

Old
02-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16
good points, but regardless, is anyone else chomping at the bit for 7pm tonight????

I can't make it home in time to catch this game. Well, I may be able to catch some of the third with any luck, but I doubt it. But I am chomping at the bit to find out how these guys play. The level of play tonight I think could say a ton about how they finish and what happens on the 9th. If they can't play their hearts out tonight in a game as important as this, then we might as well firesale. Yashin had some big words, I'm really curious to see how he comes out.

I expect unbiased and accurate reports of everything from you guys that catch the game!

Old
02-28-2006, 02:02 PM
CosmoKramer

vCash:
http://hockeyinformer.com/web/fantasy/goalies/

Looks like it might be snow as isles wrote

Snow is the probable starter for Tuesday's game against the Canadiens, reports the New York Daily News. Rick DiPietro is apparently still tired from his Olympic experience but coach Brad Shaw would not confirm or deny that Snow would be getting the start in his place.

Old
02-28-2006, 03:28 PM
CosmoKramer

vCash:
Isles 2 habs 1
Goals from:
Hunter
York

Old
02-28-2006, 03:33 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Why all the pestimism? Your 6 points out of a playoff spot

Old
02-28-2006, 04:58 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
Why all the pestimism? Your 6 points out of a playoff spot
I am somewhat optimistic, but we have to have a good run till the end of the season. Any prolonged losing strings will be the death of us. With 5 teams fighting for 1 spot should be interesting

Old
02-28-2006, 05:43 PM
djtino224

I know this sounds really strange, but I've kind of missed these guys. lol

The break was nice, however, it's time to put a good stretch of games together and hope for the best.

Old
02-28-2006, 06:29 PM
Bones45

Habs just scored a PP goal---Snow should have had it.

Old
02-28-2006, 06:35 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Good start from Isles, Huet is playing well. I agree Garth could have had that one, it wasnt a "bad" goal by any stretch, but hes just too slow...It's not like DP just got back from a gold-metal game, where is he? IF the Isles are going to generate any noise in the remaining 25 games ofcoarse DP will have to be sharp.

Old
02-28-2006, 06:35 PM
Bones45

nice to see that Kvasha is just as worthless after the break as before. Still has zero offensive ability.

Came in a breakaway--nothing.

Just got fed in the slot---nothing.

Old
02-28-2006, 06:37 PM
BelovedIsles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45
nice to see that Kvasha is just as worthless after the break as before. Still has zero offensive ability.

Came in a breakaway--nothing.

Just got fed in the slot---nothing.
Well hes advertising him self well...it seems

Old
02-28-2006, 06:40 PM
BelovedIsles

I wanna see a sense of urgency from this team for the next two-plus periods. Show us some character...do you care about making the playoffs and how DAMN much?

Old
02-28-2006, 07:30 PM
BelovedIsles

Frustrating game, inches to tieing it or leading. Out shooting Habs...2 pp goals given up... Horrible on the 5 on 3, perfect chance, dropped the ball! Too perimeter, movement is convoluted and predictable... Huet hasnt helped Isles cause....ahh...maybe I want olympic hockey back when I dont have to care/worry as much....and can enjoy the game for purely what it is--skilled hockey.

Closed Thread