HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Islanders Television Deal...

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Riddick

vCash: 500
this might sound off topic, but it has a tie-in, but what is the islanders deal with MSG? I know it runs forever, but how much is the total deal for?

Old
02-24-2006, 02:02 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick
this might sound off topic, but it has a tie-in, but what is the islanders deal with MSG? I know it runs forever, but how much is the total deal for?
don't quote me on this but i think i seen somebody once say it's for 17 million a year.

Old
02-24-2006, 07:33 AM
tool123

I dont like the fact MSG (Rangers) own the rights to the Isles on TV. The Rangers have about 5+ TV shows on and the Isles and Devil have none. I dont know if we can but we need to break away and get a deal elsewhere. This is one problem I see, where the Rangers have the upper hand. This hurts us when trying to reach the fans or potential fans through TV.

Question: Who owns the YES channel????

Old
02-24-2006, 07:59 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick

I think the remaining deal is worth about $300m.The yearly payments change.A few yrs ago I read the Isles got $13m from the deal,then last yr Forbes came out with a cba/lockout article and reported that they'd gotten $17m.

There are quite a few yrs left on the deal and the owner has to keep the team in the NY/NJ/Conn area to keep the deal.

the Isles do get shafted when it comes to scheduling,but I can't really complain because that deal's been the backbone of the team,keeping the team on LI during some very lean yrs.

Thanks Dolan

Old
02-24-2006, 08:05 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool123

Question: Who owns the YES channel????
Steinbrenner and his group own the Yes network.

Steinbrenner checked into buying the isles before Wang,but balked at the cost.

Old
02-24-2006, 08:16 AM
tool123

Eventhough this deal helps Isles very well, I just hate that everything is Rangers. I pay to watch Isles games but after that it is Ranger Country on my TV set 24/7.
I would love if the Isles had a weekly show or anything that has nothing to do with game time. But it will never happen as long as Cablevision is involved.

Old
02-24-2006, 08:27 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
There are quite a few yrs left on the deal and the owner has to keep the team in the NY/NJ/Conn area to keep the deal.
From what I understand of this the deal runs until 2030.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
that deal's been the backbone of the team,keeping the team on LI during some very lean yrs.
That more Hahn's spin on this because he has written it a few times and folks have picked up on it. That's not true nor did Dolan sign this agreement with the Islanders, in fact this was a Spano deal that increased the value of the team by 30m when Pickett took back control.

This team did survive into the mid-90's on Sportschannel and the origional deal was signed with Sportschannel, not Dolan who inherited the Islanders television contract when Sportschannel merged with Fox (Rupert Murdoch) and Msg. Murdoch dissolved the merger last year and took other stations while Dolan got the FSN New York channel as part of the package.

Devils were getting eight million and Dolan gave them a twenty year extension with what was a reported significant bump in their eight million per year to keep them from joining up with the Mets new network, Dolan also now owns Sabre television rights.

Dolan's mismanagement in the sports business only extends to how he markets hockey and it's failing on all fronts. Selling only the team he owns on his network has only served to hurt business. Ranger television ratings are down seventeen percent from 03-04 (0.54) and Islander/Devil ratings a reported fifty percent. The market has fallen so much in terms of hockey here the Islanders television rating when Milstein owned the club is now higher than the Rangers 05-06 television rating on Msg.

Old
02-24-2006, 12:03 PM
BMOK33

I would like to see them hook up with the Mets on their network...maybe we can get a solid post game show too. At least back when we were on sportschannel before it became FSNY we at least had a 20-30 minute post game show each night. MSG and FSNY don't know what the definition of a post game show is...unless its the Sabres and the only reason they have one on their MSG is because the fans got f'd over by Empire folding which had by far the best hockey post game coverage I ever saw.

Old
02-25-2006, 05:07 AM
Isles72

what are the chances of wpix picking up 30 or so of the isles games

Old
02-25-2006, 06:54 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72
what are the chances of wpix picking up 30 or so of the isles games
No chance at all.

Cablevision owns all television rights and are not going to promote the Garden's competition or sell off games that even the league could not sell off to NBC unless it was for free.

The idea here is to pay to keep the teams exposure limited for the same reason after 200,000 homes watched game four against Toronto game five went right back on Metro in the playoffs in 2002. Dolan wants a monopoly with no competition and was willing to take on the Islanders television deal.

Dolan when he appeared live on WFAN a year or so ago was grilled by Russo on that and basically just smiled and did not answer.

That means no preseason (unless it's against the Rangers) no features, no special programming and at this time no postgame press conferences or live news conferences for major announcements like Wang announcing a new gm or coach.

Old
02-25-2006, 12:10 PM
Riddick

if he's making like $17mil a year, how is it possible for him to be losing 30+mil a year?? The payroll last season was only mid 30's, a moderate raise this year makes it higher 30's, but that just doesnt make any sense.

Old
02-25-2006, 09:35 PM
djavan

oldest reason in the universe why the isles will stay on msg...

is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$

no network will touch local hockey in the ny metro area unless it is the rangers...

msg networks has to keep them because it fills a programming void...

yes network?

totally devoted to yankees...

they don't even show same night's replay of a nets basketball game...

instead they'd rather show a yankees baseball game from 2000...

Old
03-01-2006, 05:29 AM
Isles72

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
No chance at all.

Cablevision owns all television rights and are not going to promote the Garden's competition or sell off games that even the league could not sell off to NBC unless it was for free.

The idea here is to pay to keep the teams exposure limited for the same reason after 200,000 homes watched game four against Toronto game five went right back on Metro in the playoffs in 2002. Dolan wants a monopoly with no competition and was willing to take on the Islanders television deal.

Dolan when he appeared live on WFAN a year or so ago was grilled by Russo on that and basically just smiled and did not answer.

That means no preseason (unless it's against the Rangers) no features, no special programming and at this time no postgame press conferences or live news conferences for major announcements like Wang announcing a new gm or coach.
oh I abolutely realize all that , but just thought Dolan could sell off some of the games to wpix .

I never really given much thought to the notion that he would keep the isles from succeeding by limiting their presence on fsny -msg

Closed Thread