HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Audio of Our Alan Hahn Interview

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2006, 12:10 AM
patchyfogg

vCash: 500
Audio of Our Alan Hahn Interview

We had Newsday’s Islanders beat writer Alan Hahn on live with us tonight on my 100% commercial-free, no one makes a dime from it, Long Island Sports Talk radio show.

Please go here for the interview:
http://hosted.filefront.com/patchyfogg

Here is a list of topics discussed in the approximately 32 commercial-free minute interview:

--Mike Milbury
--GM Search
--Dean Lombardi
--John Weisbrod
--Steve Tambellini
--Brent Sutter
--Peter Laviolette
--Isles & The Trade Deadline
--Buying out Alexei Yashin
--Cliques/Brad Lukowich’s Comments
--Rick DiPietro
--Lighthouse
--Mark Parrish
--Oleg Kvasha
--The March 4th Islanders Reunion
--Wayne Gretzky
--The US Olympic Hockey team/USA Hockey
--The new owner/player “partnership”
--Fans coming back
--Hockey down the stretch
--Islanders prospects
--What the Isles need for next year
--Steve Stirling
--Brad Shaw
--Ask Alan mailbag

As always, thanks and please tell a friend.

Old
02-24-2006, 07:05 AM
Capt Reynolds

Quick Summary

GREAT interview, PatchyF!

Quick summary of the highlights:

<<--Mike Milbury>>>

"Lame duck," cannot trade without Wang's blessing. Involved in GM search but only to sort of let new GMs what working with Wang is like. Not really involved in the final decision, that is Wang's. Will not really be involved in managing Islanders once new GM is in.

<<--GM Search
--Dean Lombardi
--John Weisbrod
--Steve Tambellini>>>

Ongoing. Wang wants to hire someone who will be here for a long time so wants to take his time. Lombardi is current frontrunner and will definitely be among the finalists. Lombardi is "very interested" in job, and is Hahn's choice as the most experienced. San Jose situation similar to Isles -- suburbanesque area near a big city, and Lombardi was immensely successful there.

Weisbrod is a "wild card" because he has a lot of experience but is very young and has no real NHL and not much hockey experience.

Tambi will interview soon now that Olympics are done, maybe before the Cup reuinion night.

<<--Brent Sutter>>>

Hahn believes Brent told Wang he is interested. Hahn had spoken to the team and they said they were going to press Brent to say now if he is interested even if he can't speak until Red Deer is done. Then, all of a sudden, Hahn called the Isles to ask how that call went and was told "um, we cannot discuss that, there is a blackout." Hahn's feeling is that this was because Brent did in fact express interest to Wang but said he does not want it made public until Red Deer's season is done. Hahn said that Brent's interest does not mean no one has a chance, just that the Isles are interested in Brent and Brent is interested in the Isles but that Lombardi will still be a finalist. He also floated the idea of Lomardi as GM and Brent as coach or coach+ (e.g., some player personnel position as well), and noted that Lombardi has very good relationships with the Sutters (worked with Daryl (who, btw, still likes Dean and gives him a lot of credit for the Sharks despite Deano firing him), work with Rich now in Philly).

<<--Peter Laviolette>>

In discussing permutations of the GM/coach job floated again Weisbrod/Lavvy, but was more hypothetical than real rumor. Also, said that Weisbrod is very bright but maybe not ready to get the keys to the kingdom but might be brought in in some other role, like assistant GM, scout, etc.

<<--Isles & The Trade Deadline>>

A lot depends on our games before the deadline. Thinks we'll see a few deals but not a major firesale b/c we're not totally out, and then the new GM can start over this year. All deals will need Wang's signoff.

<<--Buying out Alexei Yashin >>

No idea. Sees him thriving in the Olympics with Ovechkin but Ovy is carrying most of that. Thinks he has played "Ok" but not great, wonders why he can elevate his game so much for the Olympics and not on a consistent basis for the Isles. Thinks it *could* happen but it's a lot of money.

<<--Cliques/Brad Lukowich’s Comments>>>

Pointed to removing a lot of vets who were the vocal leaders. A LOT of new players, also there are some passengers on this team and those that aren't did not really step up as was expected in the leadership department. There are some cliques, some guys that get along, and some phonies. Yashin is not a leader in any way, shape or form, the vets are on their own and not working as a team, and the kids have no one to guide them. Some of the guys brought in in the offseason don't understand why they were brought here.

<<--Rick DiPietro>>>

Hahn gave DP a lot of slack, chalked things up to youth and our lousy D.

<<--Lighthouse>>>

Thinks Met bid is a ruse, Wilpon has no interested in building a new arena and if they won they would just build a mall and the arena would fall to the way side, and Wang would move the team to Suffolk.

<<--Mark Parrish>>>

Puts his chances of staying at 10%, not based on inside info just his feeling. Parry was part of the group that management cleared out last year and he does not think he'll stay.

<<--Oleg Kvasha>>>

Thinks Oleg was given a chance to step up and did not play like a guy playing for a contract, probably should be let go to see if he can figure it out elsewhere.

<<Isles Prospects>>>

Managemnt needs to tell their kids that they are not going to be traded away b/c they are afraid of getting moved like in the past. We have a lot of good character players. Need another skill player or two b/c we only have Nilsson, we need goaltending and D b/c we have little to nothing in that area.

<<Chara and Redden return?>>>

If we bought out Yashin to free up cap space we’d have a decent shot but if Yashin is here there is no cap room. But they need a top-end defender to help Zhitnik out, a true NO. 1 or 2 defender.

<<Steve Stirling, Brad Shaw>>>

He did not have it easy coming out of a lockout with a new team. His mistake was hiring an inexperienced coaching staff instead of guys new to the league. Thought the players maybe saw that and didn’t think too highly of the staff b/c they didn’t understand the NHL, etc. He did not get a raw deal though and lasted longer than one would have thought. The franchise is in transition. Brad Shaw *could* stay if he did well enough but Hahn thinks this is just a great learning experience and chance to prove himself and nothing more, and Shaw looks at it that way. He’s been tough with the team and turned things around attitude wise but asking a big turnaround is asking a lot of him.

<<Ask Alan>>>

Not as many questions now that Mike and Steve are gone. : )

Last edited by Capt Reynolds: 02-24-2006 at 08:51 AM.
Old
02-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C.
<<--Brent Sutter>>>

Hahn believes Brent told Wang he is interested. Hahn had spoken to the team and they said they were going to press Brent to say now if he is interested even if he can't speak until Red Deer is done. Then, all of a sudden, Hahn called the Isles to ask how that call went and was told "um, we cannot discuss that, there is a blackout." Hahn's feeling is that this was because Brent did in fact express interest to Wang but said he does not want it made public until Red Deer's season is done.
I was glad to read this. Also wanted to point out that I posted exactly that opinion on the situation when I read about the 'blackout' on discussing Sutter, I'm glad to see Hahn agrees with me.

Old
02-24-2006, 09:30 AM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
I was glad to read this. Also wanted to point out that I posted exactly that opinion on the situation when I read about the 'blackout' on discussing Sutter, I'm glad to see Hahn agrees with me.
Yes, exactly! If you see my post on the other thread, I asked patchy to ask Hahn that b/c that was exactly what I thought the 'blackout' meant too! To me, it is clear as day that Sutter told Wang he is interested.

Old
02-24-2006, 09:36 AM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson
Yes, exactly! If you see my post on the other thread, I asked patchy to ask Hahn that b/c that was exactly what I thought the 'blackout' meant too! To me, it is clear as day that Sutter told Wang he is interested.
That is exactly how I took the blackout comment when it appeared in the press. I recall you read it the same way. To me, there was no other really plausible explanation, but Hahn's comments solidify that. Hahn says that he spoke with Sutter and Sutter said he could not pursue a job until Red Deer's season was over. Wang told Hahn he would tell Sutter he'd wait to meet with him but only if Sutter said he was interested. Hahn calls Wang and the Isles to see what Sutter's response was and suddenly there is a total blackout. To me, that HAS TO be that Sutter said I am interested but we have to keep it under wraps until Red Deer's season is done. I was glad to see that is the feeling Hahn got from speaking with the Isles too.

Old
02-24-2006, 10:32 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Thanks for the good work Patchy and for asking my questions! And Joe, thanks for typing up the answers! I'm glad you just made it through all my questions before running out of steam

Old
02-24-2006, 11:55 AM
blitzkriegs

Joe C -

Thanks for the summary.

As far as Hahn's "feeling" on the Sutter situation, I'll just disagree with him because the information I obtained is a LOT closer than where Hahn is getting his. Most of his commentary on it was his opinion and a response he received from NYI. That's too speculative and I think he enjoys creating interest without truly having stronger information...

Old
02-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
As far as Hahn's "feeling" on the Sutter situation, I'll just disagree with him because the information I obtained is a LOT closer than where Hahn is getting his. Most of his commentary on it was his opinion and a response he received from NYI. That's too speculative and I think he enjoys creating interest without truly having stronger information...
I must have missed your prior post, what was the info you received? Inquiring minds want to know!

Old
02-24-2006, 12:06 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
I must have missed your prior post, what was the info you received? Inquiring minds want to know!
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=222008&page=4

#91, 93

Old
02-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
Ah, I like! Personally, I'd love any of those three, and in many ways Lombardi is my favorite. So, I'm glad to hear the others are really in the mix.

Old
02-24-2006, 12:30 PM
cjdv16

great interview!!! thanks.

i agree that Sutter is probably very interested, but out of respect wants to keep things quiet.

i agree parrish will be gone. great... we will have nothing to show for luongo/jokkinen.

i LOVE what hahn said.....
"MM broke up the gritty core and instead held onto the BIGGER BUMS"... hahahahahaha. great quote.

also call MM out on trying to replace Scatch, AA and RH with sopel/zhitnik/luko and other lesser players. EXACTLY what i said when these transactions were made.

one thing i don't understand is how hahn feels there is no cap room if they keep yashin???? if you deal parrish and let some of the dead weight go such as oleg, etc. you have to free up at least 5M to make a decent signing.

Old
02-24-2006, 12:43 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Great interview...

thanks Patchy

02-24-2006, 12:53 PM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16
one thing i don't understand is how hahn feels there is no cap room if they keep yashin???? if you deal parrish and let some of the dead weight go such as oleg, etc. you have to free up at least 5M to make a decent signing.
I got the feeling that he meant more that we would not have the cap space required to sign a Chara-type top end guy, not that we would have no cap space whatsoever. I tend to agree, because even though losing Parrish, Kvasha, Bates, and maybe Sopel would free up a lot of cash, you still have to find new players to fill those roster spots, so once you bring in new guys to replace them there just isn't enough money left to sign a Chara, who will command top dollar on the free agent market. Barring having everyone else make no more than a million dollars we just don't have the cap space to have 2 seven-million dollar players.

Old
02-24-2006, 01:03 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:

Good stuff, Patchy. Some comments on Hahn's comments:

<<--Mike Milbury>>>

"Lame duck," cannot trade without Wang's blessing. Involved in GM search but only to sort of let new GMs what working with Wang is like. Not really involved in the final decision, that is Wang's. Will not really be involved in managing Islanders once new GM is in.

Excellent! I sort of surmised that Milbury was "bumped upward", and that his role with NYI would be minimal moving forward. I like that Wang is using him as a sounding board for prospective GMs, to get a sense of how it is to report to CW.

<<--Brent Sutter>>>

...He also floated the idea of Lomardi as GM and Brent as coach or coach+ (e.g., some player personnel position as well), and noted that Lombardi has very good relationships with the Sutters (worked with Daryl (who, btw, still likes Dean and gives him a lot of credit for the Sharks despite Deano firing him), work with Rich now in Philly).

....Also, said that Weisbrod is very bright but maybe not ready to get the keys to the kingdom but might be brought in in some other role, like assistant GM, scout, etc.

Great! Lombardi as EVP/GM, Weisbrod as Dir. of Hockey Operations (more focus on the business side), Brent as coach and Asst Dir. of Player Personnel. Heck, get brother Duane behind the bench too. I like!

<<--Cliques/Brad Lukowich’s Comments>>>

Pointed to removing a lot of vets who were the vocal leaders. A LOT of new players, also there are some passengers on this team and those that aren't did not really step up as was expected in the leadership department. There are some cliques, some guys that get along, and some phonies. Yashin is not a leader in any way, shape or form, the vets are on their own and not working as a team, and the kids have no one to guide them. Some of the guys brought in in the offseason don't understand why they were brought here.

Color me surprised.

<<--Rick DiPietro>>>

Hahn gave DP a lot of slack, chalked things up to youth and our lousy D.

Bingo.

<<--Mark Parrish>>>

Puts his chances of staying at 10%, not based on inside info just his feeling.

An inexpensive Nilsson slots into his #2 RW spot on the depth chart next season, behind Satan.

<<Isles Prospects>>>

We have a lot of good character players. Need another skill player or two b/c we only have Nilsson.

Yes! An offensive gamebreaker would be nice, though hard to find in the draft.

<<Chara and Redden return?>>>

If we bought out Yashin to free up cap space we’d have a decent shot but if Yashin is here there is no cap room.

There it is, in a nutshell.

Last edited by Trottier: 02-24-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Old
02-24-2006, 09:20 PM
KH1

I want to thank you again for your great show Patchy, and although I take everything that Alan Hahn says with a grain of salt I was entertained by the interview anyway.

Lombardi seems to be the frontrunner for the Isles job. Hell, the Philadelphia Enquirer reported that it could be offered to him before the Olympic Break was over. I obviously don't see that happening, but I also don't see Brent Sutter taking over the Isles trainwreck any time soon, especially when the Calgary Flames coaching job may open up for him.

Old
02-25-2006, 09:53 AM
Top Corner

Very interesting listen. Great work Patchyfog.

I agree with most that you should take what Hahn says with a grain of salt.
I not sure he is anymore clued in then most of us.

Not sure what his workload entails but I don't think he has the tenacity to dig deep
and get the real stories. Somewhat of a contrast between the French journalists
here in montreal who seem to go to all ends to find out what he had for supper last night.

I wouldn't doubt that one of the questions asked in the interview is what
the new GM would like to do with Yashin going forward.

And if Wang is in it for the long haul, the 2mil hit is not as hard to take if that can be recovered in other ways from a winning team.

Old
02-25-2006, 10:24 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16
great interview!!! thanks.

i agree that Sutter is probably very interested, but out of respect wants to keep things quiet.

i agree parrish will be gone. great... we will have nothing to show for luongo/jokkinen.

i LOVE what hahn said.....
"MM broke up the gritty core and instead held onto the BIGGER BUMS"... hahahahahaha. great quote.

also call MM out on trying to replace Scatch, AA and RH with sopel/zhitnik/luko and other lesser players. EXACTLY what i said when these transactions were made.

The cap goes up for all 30 teams......somewhat significantly even if it's the lower number.

So Parrish goes, Chara gets league max (for purpose of example) and the Isles are under the cap.

Old
02-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Darth Milbury

The cap hasn't gone up yet.

And, if the cap does go up, every team in the league has room, and every team in the league wants Chara.

The average bid goes up, and the Isles are disadvantaged because they have Yashin, Satan, and Zhitnik's contract to contend with.....

End game. Isles lose.

Old
02-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Capt Reynolds

Darth's point is excellent. The only thing I'd add is that we have so many holes to fill, even if we could somehow squeeze Chara's huge contract into the cap it would be at the expense of filling all the other holes. No, to me, as much as I'd love to have Chara back I'd rather spend the same money he'll command to get two quality defenders. Our D is just too suspect and one guy no matter who he is isn't going to give us the depth we sorely need.

Old
02-27-2006, 01:24 PM
patchyfogg

Just wanted to thank everybody for the questions and for listening. We just hit 300 downloads.

Old
02-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Killer Carlson

Very nice, patchy! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help you out a bit. Email some feedback to someone or something like that?

Old
02-27-2006, 03:03 PM
JKP

Thanks, Patchy!!! Really appreciate you making the audio available for us!

Closed Thread