HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ribeiro opens big fat mouth again (re: Koivu)

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2006, 11:25 AM
MissCanuck

vCash: 500
Koivu missed a chunk of time with a groin injury, **** happens. Maybe he could have hit 70-80 points, oh well... You don't have to be a loud mouth to be Captain nor do you necessarily have to be the best player on your team. Thing is with Koivu, even when slumping he plays hard. He's good with officials and communication. He's a mentor on the bench. What the hell more do you want? He is a VERY respected player leaguewide.
Ribeiro's a trouble making piece of crap whose only homie is Theo. He plays like absolute crap all year but he'll defend him till the death. I want Ribs to do well while playing for the Canadiens, but I would gladly accept him being gone tomorrow. Twirp.

Old
02-24-2006, 11:27 AM
habs_24x

Im sure he didnt say it that way exactly but something along those lines...

Anyway, i was thinking the same thing. Why does koivu look so much better as team Finland captain? and here, hes just plain old Koivu not doing much, going through the motions and laying low? But playing with Finland, he looks like Superman...? yeah, i know, hes got better teamates, bla bla bla.

Old
02-24-2006, 11:29 AM
HabsoluteFate

First of all Ribeiro hasnt performed up to par this year so he has no reason to make a comment like that publicly...having said that Koivu hasn't played his usual self this year (playing by example) and part of me thinks perhaps he didnt want to injure himself because of the Olympics...in my opinion because of crap like that the Olympics should go back to the way they used to be...for Amateurs...

I have no more interest in the Olympics than i did back when they were amateurs...

Old
02-24-2006, 11:29 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Sounds like Ribeiro is still sour from when Saku smacked him up a bit.

Seems to me like it's time for Saku to whip his *** in front of the his media buddies again.

Old
02-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I have no idea the context this came out of and whether it was printed to create a controversy that didin't exist, but if so, the person said it,not the player. In keeping with that idea, Koivu the player leads, or sets an example. Somehow, I doubt Saku's making speeches in the dressing room.
We don't know what happens outside the ice and why Ribs said that. I'm pretty usre it's more a question of going along with others than doing speechs. It's clear since Saku attacked Ribs in a practice that they don't like each other.

Obviously he should stop talking to the medias.

Old
02-24-2006, 11:31 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave
Sounds like Ribeiro is still sour from when Saku smacked him up a bit.

Seems to me like it's time for Saku to whip his *** in front of the his media buddies again.
I don't get how Saku smacked him up? They both can't fight worth a sh** which is why Rivet intervined...to safe them from embarasment. At least the Higgins vs Komi fight woulda been worth watching

Old
02-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Bill McNeal

As always, this can be summed up with wisdom provided by the Simpsons.

"Marge, if you're going to get mad everytime I do something stupid, then I guess I just have to stop doing stupid things!"

Old
02-24-2006, 11:35 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Heck, Kozlov was looking like a world-class top player against Canada and that sure isnt going to be seen in the nhl...

Considering the status Koivu got in Finland, the special situation in which those players are put in a short tournament like this as opposed to play 82 games in a 7+ months season, it's almost normal to think the players and especially the captain will looks better than his average with the habs, especially considering the players he's been match with.

Makes no mistake, i think Koivu is giving it all when he play for the habs but if you think there's not a little extra when he's in his Finland's equipment you're fooling yourself imo. Especially since January where he have looks exhausted and have underachieved big time. I hope he bring his Olympics energy again after the break because that's the true Saku and the one we need.

Old
02-24-2006, 11:35 AM
ToNedOuT

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs_24x
Im sure he didnt say it that way exactly but something along those lines...

Anyway, i was thinking the same thing. Why does koivu look so much better as team Finland captain? and here, hes just plain old Koivu not doing much, going through the motions and laying low? But playing with Finland, he looks like Superman...? yeah, i know, hes got better teamates, bla bla bla.
Koivu is known to be a better player on International Ice....that's the difference you're seeing. It has nothing to do lack of leadership or effort....it wouldn't have mattered who our captain was for the last couple of months they still would have played the same.

Old
02-24-2006, 11:36 AM
MissCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik
We don't know what happens outside the ice and why Ribs said that. I'm pretty usre it's more a question of going along with others than doing speechs. It's clear since Saku attacked Ribs in a practice that they don't like each other.

Obviously he should stop talking to the medias.
Attacked?

Ribs came back and nudged Koivu across his chest with his stick, to which Koivu took exception.

Old
02-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Habsaku

Dunno if its fake, but I'd lose at lot of respect for Ribeiro, even though I didnt have any to begin with. Bashing your teammates is a big no-no and that goes to Kovalev as well.

Old
02-24-2006, 11:40 AM
boomboom

I love Ribeiro because he is honest. Now, if Koivu wants the respect that a captain deservs, he should start playing like his 4.5 millions.
I dont care about the finish team, he was playing all year with Kovalev (who I think does not deserv his pay also), two captains that are playing like stars at the Olympics. Prove Ribeiro wrong, then well hate the skinny yapping *******.

Old
02-24-2006, 11:41 AM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Finally someone telling it like it is. We've all thought that and said that for years so it's nothing new but finally it's being confirmed from the locker room.

Grats to Ribeiro to have the nuts to say it

Old
02-24-2006, 11:43 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Dunno if its fake, but I'd lose at lot of respect for Ribeiro, even though I didnt have any to begin with. Bashing your teammates is a big no-no and that goes to Kovalev as well.
I'm 99% sure it's legit, it's just that it was made to a France small sports newspaper and considering he did'nt say anything bad specifically he did'nt think it would make it to NA.

It's a direct quote, usually the problems come from the people making the titles and interpretation.

Old
02-24-2006, 11:43 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov
Finally someone telling it like it is. We've all thought that and said that for years so it's nothing new but finally it's being confirmed from the locker room.

A confirmation from Ribeiro is like a bus driver telling you you have AIDS.

Old
02-24-2006, 11:44 AM
AH

Quote:

Mike Ribeiro does not contitute 'Locker room'. Funny, the coach and GM seems to think Koivu is a fine leader, but lil' Mikey doesn't ....

Old
02-24-2006, 11:45 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom
I love Ribeiro because he is honest. Now, if Koivu wants the respect that a captain deservs, he should start playing like his 4.5 millions.
I dont care about the finish team, he was playing all year with Kovalev (who I think does not deserv his pay also), two captains that are playing like stars at the Olympics. Prove Ribeiro wrong, then well hate the skinny yapping *******.
When a player like Ribeiro actually does something in his career, then he might be one to question leadership. He's been a cancer in every level he's been. Is he the person to say such a thing? We're not talking about Sakic or Lemieux or Gainey or Carbo giving leadership lessons to Koivu. This is Mike Freaking Ribeiro. Thats like Sammy Sosa giving batting average tips to Jose Vidro.

Old
02-24-2006, 11:46 AM
habfan4

Quote:

We've all thought that?

Correction: You and perhaps a small minority of other yahoos might have thought that.

Old
02-24-2006, 11:46 AM

Although Koivu hasn't been himself the last month, I can't say his play or apparent leadership skills, are any different than when he's lacing up for the Habs...fans, and moreso people in the media, don't know what leadership is IMO...

Koivu isn't doing anything differently then when he's playing with Montreal, he's just having his wingers finish the plays he's starting off...and because he's racking up points regularly, people automatically think he's showing more leadership for Finland...

Either way, I think people put too much stock into what the captain does...

Old
02-24-2006, 11:47 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I cannot believe he said that. I mean even he is not that stupid, is he? If this is true and Gainey ever gets wind of it, I would not be suprised at all if his days in Montreal are numbered.

Old
02-24-2006, 11:48 AM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

How does Ribeiro know that Saku is more of a leader with Finland.
Maybe he's the exact same guy but is much more respected by his countrymates.
Maybe Team Finland has enough leaders without needing Saku.
Maybe leadership is only leadership when others follow.

Old
02-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Malakhov

Aww it hurts to hear it from another player from the locker room huh? Now you guys can't come up with the famous excuse "we don't know what's going on in the locker room, he could be a good leader" anymore, tsk tsk tsk

Old
02-24-2006, 11:51 AM
Carbo N8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom
If he was honest, he would be honest about his own play & that of his buddies instead of just blaming certain teammates. I don't recall him accepting any blame for his own play or that of his 2 buddies.

Honesty involves looking at yourself, not just blaming others when things aren't going right.

Old
02-24-2006, 11:51 AM
Malakhov

Instead of giving the stanley cup to the europeans in the NHL, we should give them olympic gold medals, would be fun watching Koivu, Kovalev and kozlov etc.. playing like that all the time instead of a game out of three

Old
02-24-2006, 11:53 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Aww it hurts to hear it from another player from the locker room huh? Now you guys can't come up with the famous excuse "we don't know what's going on in the locker room, he could be a good leader" anymore, tsk tsk tsk
Except you know, it's coming from the mouth of a punk who's enjoying his extra time off while Koivu is overseas leading his team to the semi-finals of the most prestigious hockey tournament in the world.

Closed Thread