HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade for the offseason

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2006, 05:36 PM
dulzhok

vCash: 500
Trade for the offseason

Dan Hamhuis or Ryan Suter
FOR
Mike Richards or Jeff Carter

Thoughts:
1) We really need a young center to build around
2) I find it hard to think that Hamhuis, Suter, Weber, Parent, Klein, etc, will all make it as Predators. We're in a situation where we have "too many" stud defensemen. We've got to have a better young player to veteran player ratio on the blueline.
3) There are a lot of solid UFA dmen out there.
4) Philly could use another young blueline anchor.

Old
02-24-2006, 06:07 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I'd love to see us get either. Suter/Hamhuis is a steep price and I would expect Philly to add in a little sweetener, but I think it could work.

Old
02-24-2006, 06:36 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I'd love to see us get either. Suter/Hamhuis is a steep price and I would expect Philly to add in a little sweetener, but I think it could work.

absolutely not

Old
02-24-2006, 06:43 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
absolutely not
Why not? Has Richards leaped over Suter in terms of value? I'm not saying throw in Nittymaki. Just that I don't feel it's a *** for tat trade. I feel that Suter holds a little more value. Richards had a very solid rookie year, as has Suter. I don't see anything he's done to jump over Suter. Conversely, I don't see anything that Suter's done to deserve dropping.

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 02-24-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Old
02-24-2006, 07:22 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Why not? Has Richards leaped over Suter in terms of value? I'm not saying throw in Nittymaki. Just that I don't feel it's a *** for tat trade. I feel that Suter holds a little more value. Richards had a very solid rookie year, as has Suter. I don't see anything he's done to jump over Suter. Conversely, I don't see anything that Suter's done to deserve dropping.
That's not the point. The Flyers aren't trading one of their building blocks for the future AND having to throw something in to get a deal done. There's really no reason for the Flyers do such a deal straight up, and no incentive for them to add anything to said deal.

Old
02-24-2006, 11:14 PM
dulzhok

From a sheer value standpoint, I think all four of these players are in the same range of value.

Because we need a center so bad, we might be in a position of weakness. However, being that Philly only has one defenseman under the age of 30 (with no great prospects in system, either), I think they'd be very interested in Suter or Hamhuis.

Old
02-25-2006, 12:35 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
That's not the point. The Flyers aren't trading one of their building blocks for the future AND having to throw something in to get a deal done. There's really no reason for the Flyers do such a deal straight up, and no incentive for them to add anything to said deal.
The FLyers have the same incentive to do a 1 for 1 deal as the Predators do. Just because Richards and Carter are solid prospects with a great future, does not mean Hamhuis and Suter are not equally as talented and equally a part of our future. The FLyers have tons of centers, the Preds have tons of defensemen. As much as you are trying to say that the Flyers are getting boned here, they really aren't. Both teams would be dealing from areas of strengths, and value wise, Suter and Hamhuis probably exceed that of Carter or Richards....granted, by a slim margin.

02-25-2006, 01:15 AM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
The FLyers have the same incentive to do a 1 for 1 deal as the Predators do. Just because Richards and Carter are solid prospects with a great future, does not mean Hamhuis and Suter are not equally as talented and equally a part of our future. The FLyers have tons of centers, the Preds have tons of defensemen. As much as you are trying to say that the Flyers are getting boned here, they really aren't. Both teams would be dealing from areas of strengths, and value wise, Suter and Hamhuis probably exceed that of Carter or Richards....granted, by a slim margin.
I'd say value-wise..

Hamhuis
Richards
Suter
Carter

in that order.

Old
02-25-2006, 01:42 AM
nuckfan insk

Quote:
umm a young forward to build around richards/carter (take your pick)
and a yound stud dman (suter weber hamhuis)
instead of being stocked at forward they hae a balance. id say straight up no sweetener needed

Old
02-25-2006, 02:15 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i'd agree that really, this deal(straight up) benefits both teams in a rare mutual sort of way.

Philly is slim on defensive prospects, and has an aging blueline, outside of Pitkanen. Meanwhile, they have a dearth of young, promising centers.

Conversely, Nashville is stocked to the gills with potential top-four d-men...but is completely devoid of center prospects outside a few long shots.

Suter for one of Carter or Richards seems ideal. Future star first pairing guy for a future top-line center.

Old
02-25-2006, 07:41 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
No, it is the point. I was asking why the Flyers wouldn't do it. You answered the question for me. If they don't need a player like Suter, I don't feel the need to 'waste' him on a team that doesn't value him fully. He's got elite level value that I think exceeds that of Richards, but I would agree, if you guys don't really want Suter, then we would have to overpay to get Richards. And Suter for Richards is a tad bit of overpayment.

Old
02-25-2006, 03:52 PM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
I'd give more then Suter for Richards. not much more, but maybe a little more. As where we have insane depth at D, and have next to none at center.

Old
02-25-2006, 06:14 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
The FLyers have the same incentive to do a 1 for 1 deal as the Predators do. Just because Richards and Carter are solid prospects with a great future, does not mean Hamhuis and Suter are not equally as talented and equally a part of our future.
I never said they weren't.

Quote:
The FLyers have tons of centers, the Preds have tons of defensemen. As much as you are trying to say that the Flyers are getting boned here, they really aren't.
And I never said they were getting boned. I said that there was no reason for them to add anything to such a deal.

Quote:
Both teams would be dealing from areas of strengths, and value wise, Suter and Hamhuis probably exceed that of Carter or Richards....granted, by a slim margin.
Of course they would. Biasness aside, the Flyers have no need to trade a rookie for a rookie (Suter) or a second year player (Hamhuis). If they're getting dealt, they're getting dealt for a veteran.

When's the last time you saw a top prospect traded for a top prospect?

Quote:
If they don't need a player like Suter, I don't feel the need to 'waste' him on a team that doesn't value him fully.
Again, you've missed the point. The Flyers could certainly use a player like Suter. Just not at the expense of Richards or Carter at this point in their careers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
Philly is slim on defensive prospects, and has an aging blueline, outside of Pitkanen.
Aging blueline? Counting Pitkanen, half the defensemen are 30 or under.

Old
02-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

enough of these bull **** proposals for young prospects ... these proposals are not going to fly in this new day and age of the new NHL ... when was the last time you saw one of these types of proposals actually come to fruition

Old
02-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Jason Bacashihua for Shaun Belle, a 2004 draft-day trade.

You are correct, it doesn't happen often.

Old
02-27-2006, 10:55 AM
muddycreek*

Sounds like a pie in the sky dream to me. Everyone always wnats out "stud" young D-men for a song and then do their own singing. I say not now BUT HECK NO!

Old
02-27-2006, 01:29 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycreek
Sounds like a pie in the sky dream to me. Everyone always wnats out "stud" young D-men for a song and then do their own singing. I say not now BUT HECK NO!

To be fair, no one is offering up "nothing." Value-wise the trade is right on. While you may not know much about Carter or Richards...believe me, a Suter-for-Carter deal is pretty even and, as mentioned, benefits both teams, I think. Will it happen? Probably not, but this board is for "wouldn't it be nice?" as much as anything.

Old
02-27-2006, 01:57 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
To be fair, no one is offering up "nothing." Value-wise the trade is right on. While you may not know much about Carter or Richards...believe me, a Suter-for-Carter deal is pretty even and, as mentioned, benefits both teams, I think. Will it happen? Probably not, but this board is for "wouldn't it be nice?" as much as anything.
I'd love to pick Poile's brain and have him tell us where he thinks the odds lay for our future center: 20% UFA, 35% trade, etc...

Closed Thread