HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colley retires!

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2006, 02:07 PM
tool123

vCash: 500
Colley retires!

Kevin Colley was a surprise visitor at Friday's Islanders practice at Iceworks and drew smiles and handshakes from his teammates. But Colley's smile was clearly forced and his heart heavy when he revealed the news that his playing career was officially over.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...orts-headlines

Old
02-24-2006, 02:14 PM
Capt Reynolds

Wow, that's rough. I liked the kid a lot, and you hate to see this happen to anyone. Here's wishing him all the best as he moves on.

Old
02-24-2006, 02:21 PM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
sad, sad...
he's plan was playing in Germany before he got the final offer from the Islanders last offseason.

i wish him all the best for his future

Old
02-24-2006, 02:22 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
It's a shame anytime someone works that hard to get what he wants in his life and when he's just on the verge loses it. Poor guy.

Best of luck to him in whatever else he does.

Old
02-24-2006, 02:33 PM
TeamKidd

that sucks.

Colley for assistant coach at The Bridge!

Old
02-24-2006, 02:34 PM
Killer Carlson

Terrible news for him. I hate to see stuff like that happen. Best of luck in the next stage of your life, Kevin!

Old
02-24-2006, 03:26 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Should come as no surprise.

I hope life treats Kevin Colley well. While his time on Long Island was but a brief shining moment, he clearly established himself as a gutsy hockey player.

And, for all his effort, persistence and travels, he made the NHL.

He was an NHLer.

No one will ever be able to take that accomplishment away.

Every time a fan rips a regular-shift veteran player (used to be Peca) for not throwing his body around unabashedly every single game, every single shift, during the regular season, see: Kevin Colley.

One's body does not last in the big leagues playing at that pace. Especially if you are seeing a lot of icetime. For a limited, 4th liner like Colley and Steve Webb, that is how you make and stay in the bigs - by sacrificing your body constantly in your infrequent icetime. However, you cannot expect a regular, let alone a veteran star, to do same.

Last edited by Trottier: 02-24-2006 at 03:55 PM.
Old
02-24-2006, 03:30 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Should come as no surprise.

I hope life treats Kevin Colley well. While his time on Long Island was but a brief shining moment, he clearly established himself as a gutsy hockey player.

And, for all his effort, persistence and travels, he made the NHL.

He was an NHLer.

No one will ever be able to take that accomplishment away.

Every time a fan rips a regular-shift veteran player (used to be Peca) for not throwing his body around unabashedly every single game, every single shift, during the regular season, see: Kevin Colley.

One's body does not last in the big leagues playing at that pace. Especially if you are seeing a lot of icetime. For a limited, 4th liner like Colley and Steve Webb, that is how you make and stay in the bigs - by sacrificing your body constantly in your infrequent icetime. However, you cannot expect a regular, let alone a veteran star, to do same.
You also can't do that if you want to have anything left in the tank when the playoffs roll around.

And a good point on Colley's accomplishment. Only so many people can say they did it. He did. Sucks that it had to end so soon, but at least he did it.

Old
02-24-2006, 04:10 PM
NYR1724

Wish him the best and hope he can find something he loves outside of hockey.

Old
02-24-2006, 04:31 PM
HajdukSplit

vCash: 100
Wow, tough luck for him, good luck in the future

Old
02-24-2006, 04:59 PM
br3ds0x

Does anyone know if he went to college? I'd hope so so that he has other options of what to do with the rest of his life.

Old
02-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
That's sad, I wish him all the best.

Old
02-24-2006, 05:02 PM
bigbadbruins29

Send a message via AIM to bigbadbruins29
Tough little guy shame to see that happen to him, reminds me of pj stock i i wish him the best I make fight dvds so I get alot of fights and Colley reminds me of Steve Webb both fun players to watch

for the NYI fans i saw the topic and had to post just in case your wondering

Old
02-24-2006, 05:12 PM
Witter

Wish him the best, he had what we dont have HEART. Hope to see em in our orginization somewhere doing something.

Old
02-24-2006, 05:13 PM
El_Scoobo

That's too bad. He's a good kid and hopefully things work out for him. Hopefully his injuries heal properly and don't bother him down the road.

Old
02-24-2006, 05:18 PM
dok101

vCash: 50
That is absolutely fricken' horrible!!!! I really feel for the guy. What a shame that it turned out this way. At least he was not paralyzed and can lead a normal life. I guess that is the positive (big one at that) in this whole thing.

Old
02-25-2006, 06:25 AM
NYIsles1*

It really has not sunk in what happened with Kevin Colley for me.

Maybe it's because he was not with the Islanders long and I was not really used to him being a regular and for part of that time he had a knee injury. My guess is folks who are Sound Tiger fans are more shocked because they saw him play regularly.
I have seen some Islander careers end somewhat early and you could see it coming with Brett Lindros because he was getting concussions all the time and it only seemed like a matter of when. Something like this is just a complete shock because I somewhat take for granted players not having their careers end this suddenly on one play.

I feel so bad for Kevin Colley, all the years of work he finally makes it to the NHL and appears to win over management to keep him around and just like that it ends. I hope the Islanders or Sound Tigers are able to find a spot for him in the organization.

On a side note when I read things like this I wonder what was the medical staff at the Coliseum thinking when they allowed him to skate off the ice that night and if it could have made things worse.

Colley's comments say it all and makes me wonder if a lawsuit is coming at some point but I hope he can adjust to this and turn it into something positive for his future.

<< "The doctors cannot believe I am not in a wheelchair," <<<

Though Colley was conscious and had feeling and movement in his extremities, the decision by the team's medical staff to allow him to leave the ice on his own feet has been questioned privately among Colley's teammates and even within the organization. When asked about it Friday, Colley, who wore a large plastic neck brace, sternly replied, "I don't have any comment on that right now." <<<

Old
02-25-2006, 06:37 AM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
<< "The doctors cannot believe I am not in a wheelchair," <<<

Though Colley was conscious and had feeling and movement in his extremities, the decision by the team's medical staff to allow him to leave the ice on his own feet has been questioned privately among Colley's teammates and even within the organization. When asked about it Friday, Colley, who wore a large plastic neck brace, sternly replied, "I don't have any comment on that right now." <<<
First off...
Second, I wish Colley the best, and it appeared the Islanders were going to talk to Colley about some kind of future, whatever that means.

Third, at the time I could not believe they let him skate off. Especially when he was really being dragged off. It seemed to me at the time to be a bad idea and lacking in the area of proper precautions. Blake showed movement, Colley showed me he could do nothing well when they helped him off.

I wish him the very best, and it's very sad to see his career end this way.
I think the Islanders will make good so that he has a future in hockey of some kind.

We'll have to wait and see about a lawsuit, I'm sure they'd work that out in any details of a hockey operations contract.

Whole thing screams of suck to me.
I was in utter denial when I first read about him retiring and it still seems unreal.

Mitch

Old
02-25-2006, 06:43 AM
Forty Six and Two

Not to take anything away from Bob Nystrom but I think it would be a nice move on the Isles part to rename the Nystrom award for hustle and determination to the Colley award or maybe the "NystromColley Award" If anyone embodied hustle and especially determination it was Colley. This guy instantly became my favorite player

Old
02-25-2006, 06:59 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpen97
Not to take anything away from Bob Nystrom but I think it would be a nice move on the Isles part to rename the Nystrom award for hustle and determination to the Colley award or maybe the "NystromColley Award" If anyone embodied hustle and especially determination it was Colley. This guy instantly became my favorite player
Not a bad idea, or they can just make a seperate award for him.

I think it's too early for this but considering what's happened it would not be a bad idea to retire his number at some point as the ultimate tribute to him the way Travis Roy's number was retired.

Old
02-25-2006, 10:57 AM
djtino224

So sad. He always played his butt off.

It's such a shame. I hope the Islanders offer him some kind of position within the organization.

Old
02-25-2006, 11:22 AM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtino224
So sad. He always played his butt off.

It's such a shame. I hope the Islanders offer him some kind of position within the organization.
Very sad. Or they should pay for him to go to college.

Old
02-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Avery4Byng*

Always sad when a player is forced to retire, best of luck Colley in your future endevours.

Old
02-25-2006, 12:01 PM
BMOK33

How is it possible Steve Moore may come back but that hit Colley had ends his career?

Old
02-25-2006, 12:33 PM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Horrible news. Best of luck to him in his future.

Closed Thread