HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobby Clarke to attack

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2006, 02:00 AM
larsmark

vCash: 500
Bobby Clarke to attack

http://svt.se/svt/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?...57&lpos=rubrik

Bad translation
-------------------------------------------
Peter Forsbergs boss in Philadelphia, Bobby Clarke is very critical towards the European national teams way to work.

- The Europeans put an enourmous pressure on our players. It shouldn't be allowed Clarke says to Sportbladet.

Clarke is talking about NHL players, such as Peter Forsberg and mean they have been forced to play in the Olympics injured. But Peter Forsberg respondes.

All the decisions I have taken are my own. I have never played if I didn't feel well.
-------------------------------------------

Is Bobby Clarke so stupid that he doesn't understand that it's the PLAYERS who want to play? The national team doesn't force anybody to participate if they don't want to. Why can't US and Canadians (especially US) people understand that the Olympics is as big as winning a Stanley Cup for many Europeans?

The NHL is *****ing about TWO weeks every fourth year, how pathetic is that? In soccer for example the leauges stop for every national team game and mostly let all their players play for their own country. And then we don't mean just the bigger tournaments but all the qualificiation games, all the practice games before etc.

I don't understand people who dont understand the pride of representing their own country.

Old
02-24-2006, 03:09 AM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

I thought I had an answer for this, but I don't. It could be that since a large portion of the US is a warm-weather area, not many great hockey players will be developed in comparison to Canada and Europe, and that in the US, we're taught that DYING for your country is the honor, not playing for it. :/

Old
02-24-2006, 03:48 AM
Metallian*

clarke should look on the bright side that majority of his team is using this period of time to REST

Old
02-24-2006, 05:07 AM
Leo Naphta

And Peter answers:

"I don't care what they say back in Philadelphia. I wanted to go here and play in the Olympics".

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?d=10&a=533415

Old
02-24-2006, 06:38 AM
Gozer

Perhaps Clarke may be right in some cases, but if he's talking about the Forsberg situation, he is sorely mistaken. Forsberg would do anything he could to play in the olympics, without the swedes putting any pressure on him.

Old
02-24-2006, 09:33 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Do they mention how Bobby Clarke believes Forsberg will do the right thing, and not risk further injuring his groin? and I quote

Quote:
"He has good judgment," Clarke said of Forsberg. "I know that if he wasn't feeling well, he wouldn't be playing."
What a monster.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've had it with the Swedish media at this point and several Swedish posters as well. If you don't have anything positive to say about Ed Snider, and Bobby Clarke -the two most responsible for bringing home our only two Stanley Cups- then don't bother posting it in this forum because you can bet it's not welcomed.

Old
02-24-2006, 09:40 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallian
clarke should look on the bright side that majority of his team is using this period of time to REST
It doesn't matter who doesn't play and who does, it's the players that need the rest that shouldn't be playing in the Olympics. Prior to Forsberg going to Torino he was diagnosed as having too severe of a groin straing to participate. It wasn't two weeks later that the Swedish medical diagnosed him as being fit to play (which if I may add, it seems that he is.) It seems very suspicious when you consider how much pressure Forsberg was receiving from both parties. Anyways, it seems that Forsberg is healthy and that's all managment asked of their star forward; Well that and don't get hurt.

Old
02-24-2006, 09:44 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
I've had it with the Swedish media at this point and several Swedish posters as well. If you don't have anything positive to say about Ed Snider, and Bobby Clarke -the two most responsible for bringing home our only two Stanley Cups- then don't bother posting it in this forum because you can bet it's not welcomed.
Although I agree with your comment about the Swedish media and some posters on this topic, what does Snider and Clarke being responsible for winning 2 Stanley Cups back in the 70's (although I don't agree with that comment as I think Parent deserves as much accolade if not more than Clarke for the 2 Cups) have to do with this?

To be fair, however, both have negatively opened their mouths on this topic more than other GMs and owners have as well.

Fortunately, the Olympics will be over soon and we drop this topic and get back to Flyers hockey.

Old
02-24-2006, 09:46 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
The Europeans put an enourmous pressure on our players
This is true, and i dont see why a comment like this would create a problem. I dont see how anyone can deny that the european citizens and media, not neccisarily the team itself, put so much weight on this event, just as us North Americans put so much presssure on our atheletes during the playoffs.

Europeans constantly cry for us NA fans to look at the situation from their end, to see why the olympics are so important to them. That is fine, but don't be hypocritical and look the other way when someone from NA asks you to to the same. Here we care about our NHL teams more than the olympics, its just the way it is. Our way isnt "right" and neither is yours.

When swedish media puts pressure on forsberg to play it is no different than bobby clarke or the american media putting pressure on him not to. Its all about perspective.

in conclusion: chill. he isnt crossing the line with these comments

Old
02-24-2006, 09:52 AM
SChan*

It's always the europeans fault. The north americans can never do any wrong with their players.

Forsberg is playing an important Semi-final today, so can please bobby clark wait like 3 more days and Forsberg will be home.

Old
02-24-2006, 09:53 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SectionX
It's always the europeans fault. The north americans can never do any wrong with their players.
Did anyone say that North Americans never do anything wrong?

Take it for what it's worth, but if it's so good in Europe, why do they come over to play in North America?

Old
02-24-2006, 09:55 AM
SChan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
Did anyone say that North Americans never do anything wrong?

Take it for what it's worth, but if it's so good in Europe, why do they come over to play in North America?
the NHL teams draft them?

Old
02-24-2006, 09:58 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Just because they draft them doesn't mean that they have to sign with them and play in the NHL. They can play in the European leagues if they so choose. It's their decision to play in North America. Nobody is forcing them to.

Old
02-24-2006, 09:58 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
no. they are drafted because they want to come over and play. they arent forced to come play because they are drafted.

Old
02-24-2006, 10:01 AM
SChan*

well my initial idea was that it's idiotic for clarke to come out whining in a semi-final. It could make Forsberg play worse. In 3-4 days he will be home in philly again.

Old
02-24-2006, 10:04 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
well my initial idea was that it's idiotic for clarke to come out whining in a semi-final. It could make Forsberg play worse. In 3-4 days he will be home in philly again.
He's been saying it all along. It's not as if this is his first comment.

I highly doubt that Clarke's/Snider's comments will have any impact on how Forsberg performs, not that they would really care how he performs in the Olympic semi-finals any way.

Old
02-24-2006, 10:05 AM
larsmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylez19
Europeans constantly cry for us NA fans to look at the situation from their end, to see why the olympics are so important to them. That is fine, but don't be hypocritical and look the other way when someone from NA asks you to to the same. Here we care about our NHL teams more than the olympics, its just the way it is. Our way isnt "right" and neither is yours.
Like we don't look your way? The Olympics are TWO WEEKS every fourth year. If the NHL clubs can't respect that it's really pathetic. Our national team has not put any pressure on the players. When Näslund for example said no BÅG didn't even try to convince him. I don't know about the Russian, Czech team etc but that is the case with the Swedish team.

Old
02-24-2006, 10:10 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
Although I agree with your comment about the Swedish media and some posters on this topic, what does Snider and Clarke being responsible for winning 2 Stanley Cups back in the 70's (although I don't agree with that comment as I think Parent deserves as much accolade if not more than Clarke for the 2 Cups) have to do with this?

To be fair, however, both have negatively opened their mouths on this topic more than other GMs and owners have as well.

Fortunately, the Olympics will be over soon and we drop this topic and get back to Flyers hockey.
Their history with this franchise is a testament to what they've done for us fans, and I think they should be treated with a little respect. Sweden's media repeatedly taken quotes out of context as an attempt to paint the two Hall of Famers as greedy, selfish North Americans; And it worked if you look at some of the posts lately. Don't claim to be a Flyers' fan, then turn around and disrespect the two most important figures in Philadelphia's hockey history when you know damn well that what they've said is nothing more than the truth (no matter how much you might not like it.)

Last edited by Roger's Pancreas*: 02-24-2006 at 10:23 AM.
Old
02-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

To deny that forsberg felt enormous pressure from the swedish team/ media is foolish. Nobody was up up in arms about other players that sat out the olympics with less threatening injuries that Peter's. Sure, Forsberg is better than said players, but that just further proves the pressure he recieved.

Old
02-24-2006, 10:21 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
So you don't think that it could be the fifty+ Swedish reporters standing around him twelve out of the twenty four hours every day, critiquing his every single move, that could take away from his on ice performance?

No of course not, it has to be Bobby Clarke slamming the Swedish media for the constant pressure they put on one individual; It's all Bobby's fault.

Old
02-24-2006, 10:29 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Their history with this franchise is a testament to what they've done for us fans, and I think they should be treated with a little respect. Sweden's media repeatedly taken quotes out of context as an attempt to paint the two Hall of Famers as greedy, selfish North Americans; And it worked if you look at some of the posts lately. Don't claim to be a Flyers' fan, then turn around and disrespect the two most important figures in Philadelphia's history when you know damn well that what they've said is nothing more than the truth (no matter how much you might not like it.)
I'm sorry that I'm not drinking the Flyers kool-aid and being a typical WIP stepford Flyers fan that believes everything that comes out of Snider's and Clarke's mouths. I can be a Flyers fan and disagree with what they are saying (I know, to a stepford that is sacrilege).

Regarding my personal opinion of the Forsberg/Olympic situation, apparently you haven't read any of my comments since I have made it very clear that I didn't think Forsberg should have participated given that he couldn't fulfill his contractual obligation to the Flyers. That being said, just because I think that Snider and Clarke have been foolish in stating their opinions publicly doesn't mean that I don't agree with it. You and I talking on a chat board about this is one thing, but Clarke and Snider had NOTHING to gain by publicly stating their opinion with the exception of opening themselves to criticism by the international media. If they kept their mouths shut, this thread wouldn't even exist. Again, I haven't heard many other GM's/owners publicly criticizing their players for participating in the Olympics as loudly as Clarke/Snider have.

You can't expect the Swedish media to treat them with respect when they are criticizing a national hero. They don't care that Snider and Clarke helped the Flyers win 2 Stanley Cups in the 70's (quite frankly, I don't care either since that was 30 years ago). What they do care about is Sweden winning a gold medal and Forsberg certainly will help them achieve that goal.

Old
02-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Broad st phantom

To sum it up from the clubs standpoint its buisness, and for the olympics its pride.
Yes, i want my flyers hockey back, but im enjoying and supporting nitty and forsberg. Hopefully one of them gets the gold.

Old
02-24-2006, 10:54 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsmark
Like we don't look your way? The Olympics are TWO WEEKS every fourth year. If the NHL clubs can't respect that it's really pathetic. Our national team has not put any pressure on the players. When Näslund for example said no BÅG didn't even try to convince him. I don't know about the Russian, Czech team etc but that is the case with the Swedish team.
I don't feel like searching the links... but try reading the philly papers who ASKED Clarke about this stuff...

The situation that specifically upset him involved Pitkanen who called to announce that he wasn't going to the Olympics from Paul Holmgren's office and was told to go hom and call them from there... THAT is fishy.

And I agree with others that the Swedish media and general vicitim-complex regarding this whole situation is completely ridiculous. Clarke has EVERY right to express his thoughts (and he has NO reason to care whatsoever about the Swedish semi-final today when he is addressing an issue about EUROPEAN nations, not Sweden itself).

Get over it. They're there... They're playing. If you don't like Clarke's opinions... don't friggin read 'em. I stopped paying attention to my President, pretty sure you can ignore the GM of the Flyers.

Old
02-24-2006, 11:42 AM
phlacheesesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
I stopped paying attention to my President, pretty sure you can ignore the GM of the Flyers.

Old
02-24-2006, 12:49 PM
MojoJojo

Bobby Clarke voices his opinion and he is pressuring Forsberg. Every Swedish hockey fan and newspaper from here to Kiruna screams that he should screw the Flyers and play for his country, but yet they do not put pressure on their players.

Closed Thread