HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Improvised Goaltender/ Shooting Targets

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2006, 11:33 PM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

vCash: 500
Improvised Goaltender/ Shooting Targets

I have recently started playing pick-up games on an outdoor rink again. The problem that we run into is that is it near impossible to get a goalie to play outside up here. Therefore, I was wondering what other players on this board use as an improvised goalie or shooting targets.

When I played Roller Hockey in a parking lot on Guam, we sometimes had to use Coolers or rubbermaid containers and equipment bags as goalies. That works fine for a roller hockey ball, but I don't think it would work with a puck.

I had cut a somewhat heavy piece of plywood down to goal-size, and then cut two squares out in the top corners. I cut a small "5-hole" in the middle on the bottom, and cut various other holes to simulate the holes between a goalies pads and arms when in the "butterfly", and between the helmet and blocker, etc. I drilled out smaller holes to attached bungee cords through, to hold it in place on the net. The main problem with this "goalie" is he's quite heavy, and only having a Toyota Corrola as a vehicle to get to the rink and back, it is very cumbersome.

I also devised more conventional shooting targets by using the leftover smaller squares of plywood, stapling some old socks to the tops of them (to form a loop), and running the bungee cords through them, so that they hang down. I then attach the bungees to the net. This works fairly well, the big disadvantage is that a missed shot goes into the net, thereby eliminating any form of rebound.

Does anybody have any other ideas, or use something better?

Old
02-21-2006, 01:58 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Younger siblings work well.

Old
02-21-2006, 11:44 AM
hfboardsuser

They're not very durable, but paper plates duct-taped to the corners of the net work for me.

Old
02-21-2006, 01:24 PM
RedK

Why won't the goalies come out? Usually when goalies won't go to drop in, it's because of the behavior of the outskaters. Are you guys doing something that would tick them off?

Old
02-21-2006, 02:31 PM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedK
Why won't the goalies come out? Usually when goalies won't go to drop in, it's because of the behavior of the outskaters. Are you guys doing something that would tick them off?
I think it's mostly due to the weather. The cold and wind aren't too bad if you are skating around, but the goalies would probably be a lot colder.

Old
02-21-2006, 05:30 PM
felonious_r

Send a message via AIM to felonious_r
If you have a 2nd net, you could lay it down and have the place where water bottles sit be the new goal. Or you could make the other team hit the posts in order to score. Those are usually the two strategies my hockey team uses if a goalie doens't show up to pracitce.

Old
02-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Pothier

Go for the crossbar. It definately improved my accuracy.

Old
02-22-2006, 09:41 AM
nni

epuck.com has a couple of decent targets. a couple of shooter tutor type goal covers, and these rubber corner targets (i plan on getting them this summer)

other than that post and crossbars.

Old
02-24-2006, 10:35 PM
Accord

Send a message via AIM to Accord
We play posts when goalies don't show up to pickup games and you're not allowed to shoot if you're any closer than the hash marks, it makes for a pretty competitive game.

Closed Thread