HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#1 Defenseman

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2006, 02:58 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

vCash: 500
Is that a problem? Does that mean because we don't have one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownbutfamous
I never really thought of this until now, but who is our #1 defenseman? IMO opinion Tyutin is the closest thing to a #1 DMan on our team.
that we have give back some of the points we won? How is not having a so called "#1" defenseman have anything to do with how our team is performing? Clearly it is not that big of an issue. The most important thing is to have a #1 goalie and not just a guy who is designated as your #1 guy, but someone who is capable of stealing of games and points for you. Ottawa has 2 #1 defensemen, what has that done for them? Zero cups!

Old
02-25-2006, 08:15 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch
Staal is ready to take that role. He has proven himself to be to good for juniors and I feel too good for Hartford. You know what maybe not the #1 defenseman next year but definitely number 2. I see no problem with him stepping up to the challenge.
You know many 19 year olds playing such a role? No matter how much potential a prospect has, to ask someone that young to play such a role is the definition of NOT putting perhaps your best prospect into a position to succeed. Proving yourself in juniors and then the NHL is two different things.

Old
02-25-2006, 08:43 AM
shoothepuck

The Rangers have the no name defence, with most players playing better than expected this season. As for a true # 1, you can't say they have one. Sather will most likely try to aquire one soon, but for now the pairings work well, and that is probably more important than a #1 guy. If the team did have the pp quarterback, a hit the net with a hard shot shooter, who was physical, the D would be much more effective. Tyutin may assume that role in the future, and Poti was supposed to be that guy now, but it hasn't happened. The team still has low goals against because of Lunqvist, back checking forwards, and a d-core, along with 4th liners, who block shots, play the pk well and are able to recover when they make mistakes.

Old
02-25-2006, 09:02 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck
The Rangers have the no name defence, with most players playing better than expected this season. As for a true # 1, you can't say they have one. Sather will most likely try to aquire one soon, but for now the pairings work well, and that is probably more important than a #1 guy. If the team did have the pp quarterback, a hit the net with a hard shot shooter, who was physical, the D would be much more effective. Tyutin may assume that role in the future, and Poti was supposed to be that guy now, but it hasn't happened. The team still has low goals against because of Lunqvist, back checking forwards, and a d-core, along with 4th liners, who block shots, play the pk well and are able to recover when they make mistakes.

one guy id like to get D Keith Carney prolly wont cost much based on past ducks deals with Rucchin and Sykora. Carney and Zenon Konopka to Rangers for Lampman and Giroux

Old
02-25-2006, 11:12 AM
dank

chara is huge..

Old
02-25-2006, 11:15 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
one guy id like to get D Keith Carney prolly wont cost much based on past ducks deals with Rucchin and Sykora. Carney and Zenon Konopka to Rangers for Lampman and Giroux
Keith Carney was a flash in the pan whose performance was enhanced by an unconscious Giguere, no thanks.

As for our defense being "one of the most consistent" and having no glaring holes, I totally disagree. The Rangers low goals against is the result of Lundqvist, the system, persistent backchecking from the forwards, AND the fact that our skill lines control the puck for such a long time when they are out there. If you put these 6 dmen on Pittsburgh, for example, the result would not be the same, I am convinced of this. That being said, I am still not confident with Strudwick on the ice in the playoffs, regardless of his leadership or lockerroom role.

Old
02-25-2006, 11:32 AM
Kluivert4Ever

Right now we do not have a #1 defensman, but there is a decent possibility that in three-four years, we could have three of them.

Redden
Tyutin
Staal

Old
02-25-2006, 12:19 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluivert4Ever
Right now we do not have a #1 defensman, but there is a decent possibility that in three-four years, we could have three of them.

Redden
Tyutin
Staal
Question- and this is hard to answer now...Will Tyutin be better than Malakhov? The biggest difference I see is Fedor's willingness to take the body on every shift. Malakhov was a big dude but didn't always show up physically.

Old
02-25-2006, 01:01 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluivert4Ever

Redden
Tyutin
Staal
Don't pencil Redden in just yet. There are other targets out there.

Old
02-25-2006, 01:15 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Don't pencil Redden in just yet. There are other targets out there.
Redden is just gravy. I am not counting on him at all. I think that him and Chara will work out a way so that they could both stay. After that, I would say that the order is:
McCabe
Jovo

Witt

Morris
Mitchell/Norstrom
Gauthier

Any of those players (some more than others, off course) represent instant upgrades over what is currently here, for the most part.

Old
02-25-2006, 01:16 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Redden is just gravy. I am not counting on him at all. I think that him and Chara will work out a way so that they could both stay. After that, I would say that the order is:
McCabe
Jovo

Witt

Morris
Mitchell/Norstrom
Gauthier

Any of those players (some more than others, off course) represent instant upgrades over what is currently here, for the most part.
There are also trade possibilities.

Old
02-25-2006, 01:19 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
There are also trade possibilities.
Are you thinking of any particular candidates? Keep in mind, that the ability to fit any possible trade target under the cap plays a big role here. Plus the sheer cost of obtaining such a player.

Old
02-25-2006, 01:19 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
McCabe
Jovo

Witt

Morris
Mitchell/Norstrom
Gauthier

Kubina would fit well with Jagr and the czechs and it makes the most sense. He can help our PP.

Old
02-25-2006, 01:21 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Kubina would fit well with Jagr and the czechs and it makes the most sense. He can help our PP.
I think that there are more than enough (and then some) Czechs here to make Jagr happy. There are much better options than Kubina, given the Rangers particular needs at the blue-line.

Old
02-25-2006, 01:25 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Are you thinking of any particular candidates? Keep in mind, that the ability to fit any possible trade target under the cap plays a big role here. Plus the sheer cost of obtaining such a player.

There are two players the Rangers have interest in - Boynton and Jackman. Boynton only signed a one year deal last off-season, and will reach RFA status this summer. The Rangers have sniffed around his availibility before so I wouldn't rule it out this summer. The Ranger have ALWAYS liked Jackman, and while I wouldn't expect STL to make him available, I'm sure the Rangers would persue a deal in that direction, also.

Old
02-25-2006, 01:34 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
There are two players the Rangers have interest in - Boynton and Jackman. Boynton only signed a one year deal last off-season, and will reach RFA status this summer. The Rangers have sniffed around his availibility before so I wouldn't rule it out this summer. The Ranger have ALWAYS liked Jackman, and while I wouldn't expect STL to make him available, I'm sure the Rangers would persue a deal in that direction, also.
Good points. However, what is there a benefit of pursuing a trade for either, when you can sign a pretty good UFA d-man for free? Where do you stack up either of them in the list of defensemen we have bantered about?

Old
02-25-2006, 01:36 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Good points. However, what is there a benefit of pursuing a trade for either, when you can sign a pretty good UFA d-man for free? Where do you stack up either of them in the list of defensemen we have bantered about?

Well, for one thing, neither a Boynton or a Jackman would eat up the cap space that Redden or McCabe would.

As for where they'd stack up - Jackman would instantly be our best stay-at-home D-man, and among the list of possibilities among UFAs, aside from Redden and perhaps Chara, would be the most steady defender. Boynton doesn't have the game that McCabe has offensively, but wouldn't be as volatile either. The best option out there to me is still Redden. But, either Boynton or Jackman would be very good alternatives.

Last edited by jas: 02-25-2006 at 01:45 PM.
Old
02-25-2006, 01:40 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Well, for one thing, neither a Boynton or a Jackman would eat up the cap space that Redden or McCabe would.
Off course the contrary argument is that, otoh, neither Redden nor McCabe would cost us the prospects that Boyton or Jackman would.

Old
02-25-2006, 01:45 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Off course the contrary argument is that, otoh, neither Redden nor McCabe would cost us the prospects that Boyton or Jackman would.
True. And, that's the balance organization have to strike. You can't go screwing up cap space, as Pittsburgh (Gonchar), NJ (Mogilny/Malakhov) and Philly (Rathje) are finding out. And, I'm of the opinion that the right deal, from an area of depth, which can be replaced in the upcoming draft, is the more financially prudent way to go. (Imagine that sentence coming up from a discussion about the Rangers. )

Old
02-25-2006, 01:50 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

The other enticing thing about Boynton is that he's a right-handed shot, something the Rangers are lacking on the blue line.

Old
02-25-2006, 01:59 PM
SML

I would really like to hold off on aquiring more czechs. When the day comes to move/part ways with Jagr, you don't want your entire lockerroom erupting into an all out mutiny. I like the guys we have because they mostly have about the same expiration date as Jagr.

Old
02-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

If the Rangers sign Brian McCabe than they haven't learned from there mistakes.

The Rangers defense on paper this season should be terrible but they aren't. Infact they went from good to very good over the past month. No need to bring in a big name like McCabe or Jovo if Chara and Redden aren't free agents this offseason. Signing either McCabe or Jovo to a big contract over a lot of years could cripple this franchise.

Old
02-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Lundqvist102

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
If the Rangers sign Brian McCabe than they haven't learned from there mistakes.

The Rangers defense on paper this season should be terrible but they aren't. Infact they went from good to very good over the past month. No need to bring in a big name like McCabe or Jovo if Chara and Redden aren't free agents this offseason. Signing either McCabe or Jovo to a big contract over a lot of years could cripple this franchise.
I agree, McCabe in a Ranger uniform scares me.

Old
02-25-2006, 02:50 PM
chosen

I like Tyutin but he has a habit that I can't stand. He misses the net from the point about 75% of the time. Some guys do that their whole career. Hopefully he isn't one of those.

Asking Staal to be a #1 next year is a joke. Defensemen take longer to develop than forwards or goalies. I remember seeing Pronger as a rookie and he wasn't close to what he became.

Another fellow on the verge of becoming a #1 is Bouwmeester (sic?).

Old
02-25-2006, 02:54 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist102
I agree, McCabe in a Ranger uniform scares me.
But Malik, Rozsival & Kasper don't? Come on already. NONE of the Rangers current defensemen are fit to carry McCabe's jock. And that includes Tyutin, whom we hope can one day put himself on a level of a McCabe. Are you really going to try to argue his so-called "undisciplined play" and "stupid penalties will kill us" arguement?
Allow for me to end that immediately. McCabe has 74 penalty minutes this year. Kasper has 81. Rozsival has 62. That is 12 less than McCabe. And McCabe has a good amount of "mean" penalties. Meanwhile, the next penalty that Rozsival takes that is not an obstruction minor, will be the first.
Rozsival and Malik combined are not half the player that McCabe is. McCabe is a definite top-pair defenseman that goes up against the other teams top lines. Not a third pair defenseman that masquerade as the top pair that the Rangers have.
And you site that he would "scare" you? How so, pray tell? What he has to offer no other Ranger defenseman can come close to offering.
I have no idea of how you can be comfortable with Rozsival, Malik, Strudwick, Poti or Kasper (or even Tyutin), but be "scared" by McCabe

Closed Thread