HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lundqvist is Golden

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Melrose_Jr.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklabel
Niittymäki didn't let in any softie in the tournament.

Lundqvist outplayed him in the finnal though
Agreed. Niitty had a better tourney. I was really surprised too. I don't recall this kind of consistency in his play at any point this season.

Old
02-26-2006, 04:48 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Niittymäki didn't let in any softie in the tournament.

Lundqvist outplayed him in the finnal though, not much, but the game-saver in the last seconds was huge. Great goalie indeed.
didn't see him play much...but the game winning goal looked stoppable. from what i could tell he wasn't really screened...and it came from a long ways out.

Old
02-26-2006, 04:49 PM
shoothepuck

Gold for the Golden Boy. Stoning Ollie at the end made it extra special.

Old
02-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Korpido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Agreed. Niitty had a better tourney. I was really surprised too. I don't recall this kind of consistency in his play at any point this season.
I think his #'s had more to do with the team infront of him than his actual play.

Old
02-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

vCash: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
didn't see him play much...but the game winning goal looked stoppable. from what i could tell he wasn't really screened...and it came from a long ways out.
It looked stoppable?
Wow. If that shot had hit Nitty, he'd be out for several weeks. It was that hard and I'm not kidding.

Old
02-26-2006, 04:53 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke
It looked stoppable?
Wow. If that shot had hit Nitty, he'd be out for several weeks. It was that hard and I'm not kidding.
i'm not saying it wasn't a blast...it's just that it appeared he had a clear line of sight to the puck the entire way. it's also true it was a perfect shot just off the post...but still it came from a long way out.

Old
02-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Jeepers Creeper

vCash: 50
Quote:
The way I see it is that it was absolutely a perfect shot by Lidström. It went right under the crossbar in the top corner over Nitty's shoulder. And actually he was screened a bit by Forsberg and a Finnish defenceman.

Old
02-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Greg in MA

Quote:
i'm not saying it wasn't a blast...it's just that it appeared he had a clear line of sight to the puck the entire way. it's also true it was a perfect shot just off the post...but still it came from a long way out.
I'm not sure if you're familiar with that old N64 game called Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey?

If a player shot a "perfect" timed slapshot from between the hash marks in the slot, the goalie would get knocked so hard into the net that it would fly backwards, hit the boards and flip over with the goalie pinned underneath.

That's what would have happened to Nitty if he was able to get any part of himself infront of Lidstrom's rocket.

Old
02-26-2006, 05:07 PM
Lundqvist102

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
I've still been searching everywhere for the highlights of the game but the NBC one wasn't working and the one posted here was only for Euros.

Old
02-26-2006, 05:12 PM
StealingSociety

Was the first goal against Lundqvist tipped? I missed the game and in the highlights on the website it's hard to tell. Otherwise it was a VERY weak goal it seems.

Old
02-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealingSociety
Was the first goal against Lundqvist tipped? I missed the game and in the highlights on the website it's hard to tell. Otherwise it was a VERY weak goal it seems.
According to the scoresheet Timonen scored it, but it really looked the shot was deflected.

Old
02-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg in MA
I'm not sure if you're familiar with that old N64 game called Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey?

If a player shot a "perfect" timed slapshot from between the hash marks in the slot, the goalie would get knocked so hard into the net that it would fly backwards, hit the boards and flip over with the goalie pinned underneath.

That's what would have happened to Nitty if he was able to get any part of himself infront of Lidstrom's rocket.

It's true though

Old
02-26-2006, 05:17 PM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

Quote:
They gave the goal to Timonen, then changed it to Koivu, then changed it back to Timonen.
Apparantly they thought it hit Koivu's skate first.

Old
02-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Ola

Lundqvist might not have had a 100% perfect tournament on the stat sheet.

Though one fair question is if anything compares to his ability to comeback after a early tough goal like he let in today?

Its by far the biggest game of his career so far(How many active goalies have played in a bigger game, 5?), he gets a tough start, but comes back after that and plays a perfect hockey game.

The picture shown of Jokinens chance doesn't make the save justice. Henke makes a 9 feet post to post movement in a split second just to get there. He is out of this world, am I dreaming?

Old
02-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpido
I think his #'s had more to do with the team infront of him than his actual play.
Disagree. Did you see the Russia game? He was out of his mind. You dont shut out teams like the Finns did in this tourney without a goalie who's on fire, regardless of how the d plays. Antero was easily the best goalie in the olympics.

Old
02-26-2006, 05:40 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Way to be Hank!

Old
02-26-2006, 05:44 PM
larsmark

Quote:
i didn't watch much of the olympic coverage (taped the gold medal match and will watch it later) but is everyone ok with Niittymaki winning the MVP and Tournament All Star selection over Henrik?
Yes, Nitty was the MVP for sure!

Old
02-26-2006, 05:45 PM
larsmark

Quote:
that's what i figured...i'm sure Henrik wouldn't trade the Gold for the other honors. Does this help him at all in the race for the Calder? I'm sure it's not supposed to, but it would have to be in people's minds.
Henrik has already been selected as the best goaltender in the Worlds in 2003 I think?

Old
02-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Korpido

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice
Disagree. Did you see the Russia game? He was out of his mind. You dont shut out teams like the Finns did in this tourney without a goalie who's on fire, regardless of how the d plays. Antero was easily the best goalie in the olympics.

I didnt say he wasnt the best goalie in the tournament. I just don't think any goalie really stood out with his play. I have no problem with him getting the MVP.

He was good against the russians, but I dont think he was THAT good. The fins were a fustrating team to play against, it seemed like they got their sticks in the way of everything.

Old
02-26-2006, 05:58 PM
SChan*

Lundqvist said himself that he had an "ok" tournament, and still he won the gold. This guy is a born winner no matter what.

Old
02-26-2006, 05:59 PM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsmark
Henrik has already been selected as the best goaltender in the Worlds in 2003 I think?
It can't be 2003 because Salo and Tellqvist played for Sweden then (I'm 100% sure because that was the year Sweden beat Finland 6-5 and Tellqvist was backing up Salo until Salo was pulled in the QF).

Old
02-26-2006, 06:07 PM
larsmark

Quote:
It can't be 2003 because Salo and Tellqvist played for Sweden then (I'm 100% sure because that was the year Sweden beat Finland 6-5 and Tellqvist was backing up Salo until Salo was pulled in the QF).
Yes that is true, then it was 2004.

Old
02-26-2006, 06:26 PM
Levitate

Quote:
it definatly deflected in front of him

Old
02-26-2006, 06:31 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Congratulations, Henrik.

Old
02-26-2006, 06:53 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Henke was a stud when it mattered most. Remember, he came into that game to erase the Belarus debacle from 2002. He had the weight of his nation on his shoulders in front of a world wide audience. He may have had more pressure on him today than he will throughout most of the POs. Anybody who even attempts to mention the name "Jim Carey" in the same sentence as Henke after today has forfeited whatever little credibility they think they might have left. Sorry, Al, we hardly got to know you.

Closed Thread