HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lundqvist is Golden

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2006, 06:55 PM
Kluivert4Ever

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Henke was a stud when it mattered most. Remember, he came into that game to erase the Belarus debacle from 2002. He had the weight of his nation on his shoulders in front of a world wide audience. He may have had more pressure on him today than he will throughout most of the POs. Anybody who even attempts to mention the name "Jim Carey" in the same sentence as Henke after today has forfeited whatever little credibility they think they might have left. Sorry, Al, we hardly got to know you.

I am sorry Jas, but I can mention Henke´s name with Carey´s until he has put up at least two solid seasons in the NHL, now I am 99% sure that he will do that, thats not the point the point is that no matter how good he looks today (and he looks fantastic) he needs to keep it up.

Old
02-26-2006, 07:03 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluivert4Ever
I am sorry Jas, but I can mention Henke´s name with Carey´s until he has put up at least two solid seasons in the NHL, now I am 99% sure that he will do that, thats not the point the point is that no matter how good he looks today (and he looks fantastic) he needs to keep it up.
Sure you CAN do that. But you look silly making such a comparison. Carey never had the pedigree that Henke does. Carey never led is country in a big spot the way Henke did today. Carey did not have years of excelling on the international stage the way Henke has. It's a silly comparison, and has been from the start. Carey never had this said about him by a fellow player -
Quote:
"I know it's a surprise to a lot of people what he's done," Jokinen said in a pre-game Times profile that focused on Lundqvist as rock star. "But everyone knew the past couple years that he was the best goalie in Europe."

Old
02-26-2006, 07:07 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Sure you CAN do that. But you look silly making such a comparison. Carey never had the pedigree that Henke does. Carey never led is country in a big spot the way Henke did today. Carey did not have years of excelling on the international stage the way Henke has. It's a silly comparison, and has been from the start. Carey never had this said about him by a fellow player -

No since Carey did not spend much time in Europe I dont think that was said about him no. Carey did not get a chance to lead his team in a big spot in his first year either, look I dont seriously believe Henrik will end up like Carey but we should all remember how highly touted Jim was in his rookie year. He was also labeled the real deal etc and with good reason. My only point is like I stated before and you dont even have to use Carey as a comparsion, I just want Henrik to be solid for a few years here before I start calling him King or God etc. Now I do not find any reason not to believe that he wont be great for us but until he acctually have been I will not get carried away.

Old
02-26-2006, 07:09 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
No since Carey did not spend much time in Europe I dont think that was said about him no. Carey did not get a chance to lead his team in a big spot in his first year either, look I dont seriously believe Henrik will end up like Carey but we should all remember how highly touted Jim was in his rookie year. He was also labeled the real deal etc and with good reason. My only point is like I stated before and you dont even have to use Carey as a comparsion, I just want Henrik to be solid for a few years here before I start calling him King or God etc. Now I do not find any reason not to believe that he wont be great for us but until he acctually have been I will not get carried away.
Fine, fine....you can be cautious if you wish. Myself, I'm ready to leap to delerious flights of fantasy.

Old
02-26-2006, 07:13 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Fine, fine....you can be cautious if you wish. Myself, I'm ready to leap to delerious flights of fantasy.

Be my guest, stupid optimistic *******.

Old
02-26-2006, 07:15 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Be my guest, stupid optimistic *******.
Same to you, silly, pessimistic *******!!!!

Old
02-26-2006, 07:46 PM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
Was thinking about something today while at work.

I've always been against selecting goaltenders early in the draft, no matter how good they are. Goalies take so long to develop and it's such a crap shoot. Goalies come out of nowhere all the time, just like Lundqvist. Both DiPietro and Lundqvist were drafted the same year, DiPietro the 1st overall pick and Lundqvist the 205th pick.

It's almost 6 years later and we wound up with the best goalie from that draft. Not bad when we pick a goalie 204 spots after our rival and we get the better guy. Boy did everyone overrate DiPietro. Not only was he taken over Heatley and Gaborik, but Milbury moved Luongo to make room for him. Lundqvist has a gold medal, DiPietro has squat.

Old
02-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Fletch

The difference between Carey...

and Lundqvist is that Carey didn't have stellar numbers prior to his stellar season. Lundqvist consistently did better as he was given more responsibility and even got better when the competition became better. Three consistent years in the SEL, followed by what's been an excellent year in the NHL, and an Olympic gold medal. While I like to be cautious, I still like pointing those items out in hopes that there is a difference between Lundvist and past flashes in the pan.

Old
02-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
and Lundqvist is that Carey didn't have stellar numbers prior to his stellar season. Lundqvist consistently did better as he was given more responsibility and even got better when the competition became better. Three consistent years in the SEL, followed by what's been an excellent year in the NHL, and an Olympic gold medal. While I like to be cautious, I still like pointing those items out in hopes that there is a difference between Lundvist and past flashes in the pan.

I agree, there are many reasons to believe Lundqvist will not be another Carey, his sound positioning play is the biggest IMO. But until he has acctually been here for a year or two and provides us with solid play I am not going to jump the gun.

Old
02-26-2006, 09:09 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Congrats Hank!!

Quote:
I agree, there are many reasons to believe Lundqvist will not be another Carey, his sound positioning play is the biggest IMO. But until he has acctually been here for a year or two and provides us with solid play I am not going to jump the gun.
Whats with the Montoya Avatar? Dont like hank much eh?

Old
02-26-2006, 10:03 PM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
I think Marcus is Anti-Swede, kinda like I'm Anti-American.

Old
02-26-2006, 10:06 PM
pld459666

a nice Pic

http://www.nhl.com/features/gallery/...ld/page13.html

Old
02-26-2006, 10:10 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
memo to sweden put that save on a stamp.

Old
02-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Skroob*

so did any of the other NHL teams bring home more medals than NYR?

Old
02-26-2006, 10:19 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666

Dibs!

Old
02-26-2006, 10:23 PM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

vCash: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob
so did any of the other NHL teams bring home more medals than NYR?
Not sure, but Detroit got six gold medals. That's pretty crazy

EDIT: Stefan Liv, Sweden's third string goalie, is drafted by the Wings, so that'll count as one more.

Old
02-26-2006, 11:19 PM
ivrydov

Henrik looked shaky in that game at times but the most important thing is he came through for the win, and that's what will be remembered. He can't be faulted unless you expect him to throw shutouts each time. And you can't really tell from television how difficult a save is.

On the second goal he went down on his knees to block the post and the play swung to the other side. He would appear to have had time to get back on his feet but inexplicably stayed down and it was an easy goal.

In the third period the Finns were buzzing around and again he went down early on the left side and then made a crazy half somersault to the other side leaving the goal wide open seemingly taking his eye off the puck. Did he? I don't know. Luckily no shot got through at that point.

The bottom line is that he came through where it counts, in the win column in a game that goes into the history books.

Old
02-26-2006, 11:30 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil333
You see how happy Lundqvist was at the end w. 5 seconds left, jumping up and down like a little school girl? Now picture that but in a Blueshirt. Yeah, a chill rushed down my spine too.
I was thinking exactly the same thing.....as I'm sure a lot of us were

Old
02-27-2006, 05:48 AM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Congrats Hank!!

Whats with the Montoya Avatar? Dont like hank much eh?

I love Henrik, but I do like Montoya more if we are gonna be honest here.

Last edited by Kluivert4Ever: 02-27-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Old
02-27-2006, 05:49 AM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru
I think Marcus is Anti-Swede, kinda like I'm Anti-American.

Hey I LOVE Nylander.

Old
02-27-2006, 06:36 AM
McCullogh

I just saw the game again.

I find it a bit funny that Jokinen starts celebrating his "goal" before it hits the back of the net. Guess he forgot what goalie he was up against.

Old
02-27-2006, 07:38 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivrydov

On the second goal he went down on his knees to block the post and the play swung to the other side. He would appear to have had time to get back on his feet but inexplicably stayed down and it was an easy goal.
eh? it was a cross ice pass...he had no chance. if he had taken the time to "get back on his feet", the puck would have been in the net even easier. he went down because if he didn't, it would have given the finnish player a great opportunity to score instead of having to make a pass. it's possible his reaction time could have been better, but he played that pretty much like he was supposed to. it was just a backdoor play and those are almost impossible to stop

Old
02-27-2006, 08:06 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
eh? it was a cross ice pass...he had no chance. if he had taken the time to "get back on his feet", the puck would have been in the net even easier. he went down because if he didn't, it would have given the finnish player a great opportunity to score instead of having to make a pass. it's possible his reaction time could have been better, but he played that pretty much like he was supposed to. it was just a backdoor play and those are almost impossible to stop
Agreed, all Swedishs got caught on the wrong side of the finns. Its basically a 3 on 0, Lidas and Kronwal have been on the ice for almost 2 minutes, Påhlsson looses hiss stick. When you are watching it on tape its easy to say that Lundqvist should have stood up ect. But if he had done that its possible that the Finns would have made one more pass. Lidström is behind the net. Påhlsson doesn't have a stick and is behind Jokinen. Peltonen could have fed Jokinen who then couldn't have missed if Lundqvist made a faster post to post movement.

Old
02-27-2006, 09:43 AM
ap215

Congrats to Henrik on winning his gold medal.

Old
02-27-2006, 10:27 AM
Fan-of-#9

Congrats on having such a bright young star in net. Wow, what a performance. I'm officially sold on Henrik. Took a little while for me eh?

Closed Thread