HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Did anyone else catch this?

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2003, 08:29 PM
Digger12

vCash: 500
Did anyone else catch this?

http://www.edmontonoilers.com/pressb...e=20031023_160

According to this, the Oilers only lost $202,000 last year, the closest this current ownership group has ever come to breaking even.

Thoughts? Comments? Rants?

Old
10-24-2003, 08:50 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12

According to this, the Oilers only lost $202,000 last year, the closest this current ownership group has ever come to breaking even.

Good for those guys, just shows you what local ownership and and a great hockey mind like KLowe can do together.

But at thesame time it gives me false hope that maybe the Oil can add extra salary in form of some established talent so that we could finally realistically compete with the Nucks without playing starstruck hockey.
But also knowing that Oilers never add salary like that, or trade for salary like that, or that in the end it would not be a practical thing to do, just brings me back to earth.

Old
10-24-2003, 08:59 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:

To the owners who have lost money every year, to keep our team here for us.

To the current state of the NHL. I actually hope that there's a long drawn out battle to correct what's wrong with hockey. Anything worth having, is worth fighting and sacrificing for. If a resolution comes easily, it'll be because some owners caved and then we'll be pooched.

Old
10-24-2003, 10:12 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:

And guess who said it all along. I said the entire year that that "We're gonna lose 2 mil even if we get playoffs" was garbage. I told everyone they were lying and no one believed me. HAH!

Old
10-25-2003, 01:04 AM
tsunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
And guess who said it all along. I said the entire year that that "We're gonna lose 2 mil even if we get playoffs" was garbage. I told everyone they were lying and no one believed me. HAH!

Old
10-25-2003, 06:16 AM
Mr Sakich

this year, our salary is only 30.8 according to figures released yesterday. The can buck is up 10-20% and they have the heritage classic windall. Maybe they will make money this year.

Kevin Lowe for NHL commisioner !

Old
10-25-2003, 06:43 AM
creative giant*

Quote:
relax man. 200 000 is not the same as 2 000 000

Old
10-25-2003, 06:47 AM
creative giant*

Quote:
They were taking into consideration the fact that the oilers had more pricy players to start the season (Niinimaa, Carter). If we had kept even just those two guys we surely would have lost more than 2 million dollars.

Anyone got the actual numbers on this? I'm too lazy to look

Old
10-25-2003, 06:52 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
They were taking into consideration the fact that the oilers had more pricy players to start the season (Niinimaa, Carter). If we had kept even just those two guys we surely would have lost more than 2 million dollars.

Anyone got the actual numbers on this? I'm too lazy to look
Exactly the situation changed from the BUDGET set in the beginning of the season and what actually happened. Great that it wasn't as bad as they thought but they aren't making money.

It certainly didn't mean they were lying.

Old
10-25-2003, 07:10 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
totally off the top of my head, factoring in math, etc..

Niinimaa made 2.9 mil
Carter made 2.5 mil
Pisa made (random guess here) 700k

Cross Made 750 k
Dvorak 1.8 mil
Isbister 1.8 mil

The trade was made at the 70 game mark, meaning the oilers paid these guys:

Niinimaa $2.5 mil
Carter $2.1 mil
Pisa 600k (but I think he spen time in the minors, so this is actually less)

They saved $900k here.

and payed out:

Cross 100k
Dvorak 260k
Isbister 260k

Spent 620k

They saved 280k on salaries
Their prediction of 2 million in losses came from only 2 home playoff dates (they got 3)
The Hamilton Bulldogs saved them money (both in the sharing with montreal, and in the extended playoffs)

That there probably adds up to close to 1.5 mil.

Old
10-25-2003, 11:34 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Exactly the situation changed from the BUDGET set in the beginning of the season and what actually happened. Great that it wasn't as bad as they thought but they aren't making money.

It certainly didn't mean they were lying.
They said it even after the moves had been made, they even said it in the playoffs if you remember the "the first two games cover our playoff expenses" speech.

Old
10-25-2003, 11:47 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
this year, our salary is only 30.8 according to figures released yesterday. The can buck is up 10-20% and they have the heritage classic windall. Maybe they will make money this year.

Kevin Lowe for NHL commisioner !
So it's alright to jack up ticket prices while cutting salary, even though you would've made money anyway Not okay at all in my book.

Old
10-25-2003, 02:42 PM
Brynster

Quote:
So it's alright to jack up ticket prices while cutting salary, even though you would've made money anyway Not okay at all in my book.

The ticket jack-up only sets the team up financially for a year or two of NO hockey. Hard to say if that will be enough loot?!

Old
10-25-2003, 02:53 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
So suddenly the guys who have lost millions over the past few years owning this team aren't allowed to see a return on their investment (finally)?

It's not like the team is gonna make $20 million... they should be allowed to turn some sort of a profit on this, at least once in a while.

Old
10-25-2003, 04:47 PM
Brynster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
So suddenly the guys who have lost millions over the past few years owning this team aren't allowed to see a return on their investment (finally)?

It's not like the team is gonna make $20 million... they should be allowed to turn some sort of a profit on this, at least once in a while.
THIS YEAR??
Yes, they've just got to suck it up and wait for the chips to fall where they may under the new (if there is one) CBA. What good would it be for them to make a fortune this year? It could end up costing them the club.

Closed Thread