HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

An answer at 2nd line RW?

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2003, 04:28 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
An answer at 2nd line RW?

With the recent firing of Smith in Chicago, now maybe the team to go shopping. Who the hell would the CBJ want off the their roster? Steve Sullivan, that's who. Wouldn't he just be Ray Whitney version 2.0? I'm thinking not. While he is rather small, he can play defense. He's consistent (five straight seasons above 60 points, all with a plus rating). He does carry a 3 million pricetag, but that can be lowered by having the Hawks pick up some of it or by trading a salary (Knutsen? Lachance?) And, at 29, he really isn't "old" yet. While this does make our top six even more smurfish, he is an established talent that can play on the right side.

Thoughts? Comments? Other suggestions? Flaming?

Old
10-24-2003, 05:46 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 353
Maxim Afinogenov's been a healthy scratch the last 2 games.

Old
10-24-2003, 06:53 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

I would want Sullivan over Afinogenov, but beggers can't be choosers... Steve Sullivan is solid player and a classy guy, would love to see him in a jackets uni, and when it comes down to it...that what we need, to score, his defensive play is just gravy then . Then again, do we really want another small, skilled forward??

Old
10-24-2003, 07:12 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
Maxim Afinogenov's been a healthy scratch the last 2 games.
I've always been interested in Maxim (though he'd have to change his number over here). Was it just the injuries that has slowed him down some or just a natural regression? He is five years younger than Sullivan and is cheaper by alot. He'd probably cost more to get out of Buffalo, though.

Old
10-25-2003, 05:29 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Thug

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
I know people wont like this but what if we went out and got Valeri Bure(If Florida ate somje salary) or Rico Fata. They can probobly be had for very cheap.

Old
10-25-2003, 08:25 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ozzie X
I've always been interested in Maxim (though he'd have to change his number over here). Was it just the injuries that has slowed him down some or just a natural regression? He is five years younger than Sullivan and is cheaper by alot. He'd probably cost more to get out of Buffalo, though.
The concussion was a big setback in his development, but he looked to be his old self at the end of last season. So he's about a year behind where we hoped he would be. The main damage caused by the injury was that it caused the Sabres to call up Ales Kotalik and gave JP Dumont a chance to play his natural RW position. They also have that guy named Satan who plays RW and now it appears that Danny Briere has found a home at RW. The Sabres have too many RW's that play a style more to Lindy Ruff's liking for Afinogenov to break through and get consistant ice time. The forward position will get even more crowded when Connolly and Hecht return from injury. Someone's going to have to go and my guess is it'll be Afinogenov.

Old
10-25-2003, 08:30 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Afinogenov coming to Columbus would be neat. Another sickeningly fast skater for Columbus to ice.

Old
10-25-2003, 08:31 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow
I know people wont like this but what if we went out and got Valeri Bure(If Florida ate somje salary) or Rico Fata. They can probobly be had for very cheap.
Sergei Berezin is still out there waiting for a contract offer.

Old
10-25-2003, 08:33 AM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Quote:
The concussion was a big setback in his development, but he looked to be his old self at the end of last season. So he's about a year behind where we hoped he would be. The main damage caused by the injury was that it caused the Sabres to call up Ales Kotalik and gave JP Dumont a chance to play his natural RW position. They also have that guy named Satan who plays RW and now it appears that Danny Briere has found a home at RW. The Sabres have too many RW's that play a style more to Lindy Ruff's liking for Afinogenov to break through and get consistant ice time. The forward position will get even more crowded when Connolly and Hecht return from injury. Someone's going to have to go and my guess is it'll be Afinogenov.

Hmm, interesting. Any idea one what the Sabres would be looking for? Sounds like they don't need any NHL-ready forwards or goalies. D or picks? I do know that we don't have our second rounder this season, that was shipped off to Dallas with Sillinger for Sydor. I would think MacLean would look past that fact that he doesn't play much D, plus it would give Zherdev someone to pair up once he comes over.

Old
10-25-2003, 10:30 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
Hmm, interesting. Any idea one what the Sabres would be looking for? Sounds like they don't need any NHL-ready forwards or goalies. D or picks? I do know that we don't have our second rounder this season, that was shipped off to Dallas with Sillinger for Sydor. I would think MacLean would look past that fact that he doesn't play much D, plus it would give Zherdev someone to pair up once he comes over.
The Sabres have to be looking for D prospects since they traded Ballard. They have a particular need for a right side dman with top 4 potential. Dimitri Kosmachev and a mid-round pick (4th to 6th) rounder would be ideal from my perspective. I think the Sabres would be looking for some combo of picks/prospects unless there's an NHL player that would clearly upgrade their team.

If I were dealing with the Sabres, I'd try to get the rights to Jaroslav Kristek thrown into the deal. Kristek went back to the Czech Rep after a falling out with management last season. He thought he deserved to be in the NHL and the team thought otherwise. He's a very talented RW, whose first 2 pro seasons were ruined by injuries (knee, both shoulders), but I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of him.

Old
10-25-2003, 10:42 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Fata would be quite a project. Val Bure would be a wildcard...

Old
10-25-2003, 11:58 AM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Quote:
The Sabres have to be looking for D prospects since they traded Ballard. They have a particular need for a right side dman with top 4 potential. Dimitri Kosmachev and a mid-round pick (4th to 6th) rounder would be ideal from my perspective. I think the Sabres would be looking for some combo of picks/prospects unless there's an NHL player that would clearly upgrade their team.

If I were dealing with the Sabres, I'd try to get the rights to Jaroslav Kristek thrown into the deal. Kristek went back to the Czech Rep after a falling out with management last season. He thought he deserved to be in the NHL and the team thought otherwise. He's a very talented RW, whose first 2 pro seasons were ruined by injuries (knee, both shoulders), but I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of him.
I would do Kosmachev or OK Tollefsen and a pick for Maxim and the rights to Kristek. Kristek would just add to the deep pool of players the Jackets are collecting on the other side of the ocean.

Sanderson-Cassels-Vyborny
Nash-Marchant-Maxim
Pirjeta-Knutsen-Letoski
Shelley-Wright-Ling

I'm liking the look of those lines. Sandy-Marchant-Maxim would be one of the fastest lines in the league.

Alright, time to call our GMs to get this thing in motion

Old
10-25-2003, 12:24 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Thug

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
I would do Kosmachev or OK Tollefsen and a pick for Maxim and the rights to Kristek. Kristek would just add to the deep pool of players the Jackets are collecting on the other side of the ocean.

Sanderson-Cassels-Vyborny
Nash-Marchant-Maxim
Pirjeta-Knutsen-Letoski
Shelley-Wright-Ling

I'm liking the look of those lines. Sandy-Marchant-Maxim would be one of the fastest lines in the league.

Alright, time to call our GMs to get this thing in motion

I wouldnt trade any of those guys. Bure and Fata are the best options. Bure, I think, could come back to life with a little stability. He could be had for about a 7th Round Pick with them even eating a little salary. Fata is an uber wildcard who could be had for a 5th Round Pick. HEs pretty cheap too.

Old
10-25-2003, 08:34 PM
jackets63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow
I wouldnt trade any of those guys. Bure and Fata are the best options. Bure, I think, could come back to life with a little stability. He could be had for about a 7th Round Pick with them even eating a little salary. Fata is an uber wildcard who could be had for a 5th Round Pick. HEs pretty cheap too.
Theres a reason they could be had so cheap. They've failed somewhere not once, not twice, not three times... (any idea where this is going?) They are nowhere close to the best options. Steve Thomas and Adam Graves are sitting out as better options than those two.

As for everyone else mentioned in this thread, chalk it up in the "great idea that will never happen" column. I agree totally, but I dont think we will ever land Maxim or Sullivan.

I think our only realistic hope is to ride it out until the team returns to health and hope that fixes it. Other than that, I think that our only hope for an upgrade is in getting Zherdev over. Any other moves will likely involve a salary dump. And not many teams are looking to add salary this year. I dont forsee many trades happening around the league this year.

Closed Thread