HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Olympians Not Returning on Tuesday

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2006, 02:04 PM
cjdv16

vCash: 500
Olympians Not Returning on Tuesday

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=156442&hubname=nhl

When Canadiens captain Saku Koivu was asked by Le Journal de Montreal about whether he would play Tuesday against the New York Islanders, he looked a reporter right in the eye and said, "What do you think? It would be very difficult to be in shape after playing 8 games in 12 days. I hope (GM/head coach) Bob Gainey will be happy when I meet him in New York and ask him not to play."

WOW..... when I read the question, I assumed Koivu's answer would be "Yes. We're holding on for dear life to the 8th seed. Of course I'm playing".

Hmmmmm. Guess not.

Let me say this, if Yashin is not in uniform tonight, not only will I be pissed as hell, but he's going to open himself up for some MAJOR whipping in the media and on this board.

This game is critical.

Old
02-28-2006, 02:07 PM
Killer Carlson

The NHL asked for this by scheduling games only 2 days after the gold medal game halfway around the globe. They are the ones to blame. I tell you, if I was an NHL owner, there is NO WAY that I would want my players to compete in the Olympics. Same as the World Baseball Classic that is scheduled DURING Spring Training.

That said, I would hope that all of our guys are ready to play and try to pull out 2 points tonight. Then again, do I want to see a tired DP in there, getting shelled in the 1st period? Not really.

Old
02-28-2006, 03:27 PM
CosmoKramer

vCash:
I know we had to go to italy to promote hockey but it just seemed to be 1 big mess for the nhl in my eyes. Injuries,fatigue and tightened scheduling over this just does not seem worth it. Id rather watch the kids play since if your watching nhl hockey you are seeing the same guys anyway. I hope this will conclude nhl players in the olympics.

Old
02-28-2006, 03:29 PM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGodard49
I know we had to go to italy to promote hockey but it just seemed to be 1 big mess for the nhl in my eyes. Injuries,fatigue and tightened scheduling over this just does not seem worth it. Id rather watch the kids play since if your watching nhl hockey you are seeing the same guys anyway. I hope this will conclude nhl players in the olympics.
Agreed, Godard. I would love to see non-professionals back in the Olympics myself. Would love to see a World Cup-type tourney every 6 years or so, played after the Stanley Cup finals are over, with all the NHL guys in it, but I know that is unrealistic.

Old
02-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Islanders4Life*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGodard49

not to mention the fact that the majority of these overpaid players could give 2 craps about that tournament(especially those playing for Canada and the US)

I agree at first I was a fan of the NHL playin in these tourneys, but the bottom line is it is a scheduling mess and the players really dont want to be there

It should be ameteurs because they want to be there and they play with heart

Old
02-28-2006, 04:01 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16
Let me say this, if Yashin is not in uniform tonight, not only will I be pissed as hell, but he's going to open himself up for some MAJOR whipping in the media and on this board.
First, the obvious punchline: Will you even be able to tell if Yashin is in uniform?

Second, as others have stated, this scheduling is absurd. I respect your reaction to Koivu, Yashin and other Olympians returning (or not) to NHL action tonight.

However, the question must be asked: even if they do dress, exactly what type of a performance are you expecting from these guys?

Realistically, I would expect very little in the tank. For it matters not one bit how much they get paid; the human body - even a professional athlete's body - needs recover time.

Old
02-28-2006, 04:09 PM
Islanders4Life*

Did anyone here Ray Ferraro between periods of the Russian Chech game , he said 'Alexei Yashin is invisible as usual"

Welcome back Alexei

To Alexeis credit I thought he was really trying in the first few games and it bothered me to see him playing with so much emotion and happiness when Russia scored(unlike the phony happiness he displays here)

Old
02-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Hunter07

Send a message via AIM to Hunter07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders4Life
Did anyone here Ray Ferraro between periods of the Russian Chech game , he said 'Alexei Yashin is invisible as usual"

Welcome back Alexei

To Alexeis credit I thought he was really trying in the first few games and it bothered me to see him playing with so much emotion and happiness when Russia scored(unlike the phony happiness he displays here)
Are you serious? In the third i heard this: A defensive play by yashin, another defensive play, and another defensive play. Three great defensive plays by Alexi Yashin from the new york islanders. Yashin pins ____ against the boards and wins the puck.
No kidding i was in colorodo and heard that, turned to my friend, and said who the hell are they talking about.

Old
02-28-2006, 04:40 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Koivu and all the other olympians (Kovalev, Markov, Bulis) are in the roster tonight finally.

Huum, Maybe not for Streit, i dont know yet but it would have nothing to do with him been exhausted

Also, is that true you guys are sending Garth Snow against the habs tonight? I think i heard this on ckac here in Montreal but i'm at work and was listening with 1 ear, so i might have misunderstood.

??

Old
02-28-2006, 04:42 PM
Islanders4Life*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun
Koivu and all the other olympians (Kovalev, Markov, Bulis) are in the roster tonight finally.

Huum, Maybe not for Streit, i dont know yet but it would have nothing to do with him been exhausted

Also, is that true you guys are sending Garth Snow against the habs tonight? I think i heard this on ckac here in Montreal but i'm at work and was listening with 1 ear, so i might have misunderstood.

??

UNfortunatley (for us) it is true, Garth Snow will be starting

Old
02-28-2006, 09:59 PM
NYIsles1*

I guess the folks who was hoping Yashin would not play so they could bash him are disappointed, if they did their homework and read the local articles they would have learned he was at practice on Monday after playing in Italy Saturday and called this a very important game.

Funny but the thread on Olympic participation in the future from a few days ago passed thru page one of the board without a single response.

Not much common-sense in the scheduling here, some teams restart their seasons on Thursday, why did others have to restart on Tuesday? Why not just push the end of the season back a day or two more or move up the start of the season so everyone returning could get a few more days to travel, were talking two days here, not a week.

As for 2010 the NHLPA wanted Olympic participation as part of the cba and got it so this will happen again in four years whether we like it or not.

For me I always felt to take a generation of unknown players who make a name for themselves playing in the Olympics who go right into the NHL in Match was like having another draft and great for NHL hockey because it brings in new blood that was getting a ton of attention beyond NHL circles. This is just NHL players rejoining NHL teams.

Give me the days of Morrow, LaFontaine and Flatley jumping into the NHL, even the players like Jim Craig who failed in the NHL still brought the NHL publicity.

Old
02-28-2006, 10:17 PM
Killer Carlson

How is it that DP was too tired to start the game but somehow after two periods, he's rested enough to come in? I'm sorry, but this was an extremely important game that he needed to start. It isn't like Team USA was in the gold medal game on Sunday and he just got back to the States on Monday. If I'm not mistaken, Team USA was eliminated on Thursday. He couldn't play a game on Tuesday night?

I love the kid and wish the best for him, but I am struggling to find a reason as to why he didn't start. This game was HUGE. People love to bash Yashin but he played on Saturday (a full 2 days after DP) and still played tonight. There are players who played in the gold medal game on Sunday and they played tonight (Jokinen, the Sedin twins, Koivu, etc)

I think I would have been less bothered by it if he hadn't played the 3rd period. To me, if he couldn't start this game b/c he was fatigued, I can go with that slightly. But to not start this game and then miraculously be fresh and ready to go for the 3rd period? I can't give him a pass on this one.

Old
02-28-2006, 10:52 PM
Islanders4Life*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson
How is it that DP was too tired to start the game but somehow after two periods, he's rested enough to come in? I'm sorry, but this was an extremely important game that he needed to start. It isn't like Team USA was in the gold medal game on Sunday and he just got back to the States on Monday. If I'm not mistaken, Team USA was eliminated on Thursday. He couldn't play a game on Tuesday night?

I love the kid and wish the best for him, but I am struggling to find a reason as to why he didn't start. This game was HUGE. People love to bash Yashin but he played on Saturday (a full 2 days after DP) and still played tonight. There are players who played in the gold medal game on Sunday and they played tonight (Jokinen, the Sedin twins, Koivu, etc)

I think I would have been less bothered by it if he hadn't played the 3rd period. To me, if he couldn't start this game b/c he was fatigued, I can go with that slightly. But to not start this game and then miraculously be fresh and ready to go for the 3rd period? I can't give him a pass on this one.
Yea I dont know why Dipietro didnt start, if he played for Sweden or Finland I could see but god damn the USA has been off for what 5 days

Old
02-28-2006, 11:12 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
The head coach makes the call here (not Rick DiPietro) based on how the player looks at practice and it's DiPietro's place to be honest and tell him if he's tired and on his game so his coach can make a decision on what goalie will give him the best chance to win. Shaw decided on Snow for his own reasons.

Maybe Shaw held back DiPietro and he wanted to start this game? We have no idea how this played out beyond the scenes beyond Rick saying he was still worn down from the travel.

Shaw started the rested goalie, not sure what you expect from DiPietro when the coach tells him to go in to relieve Snow, he's the backup and tired or not he finishes out the game, that's not the players call either.

Old
03-01-2006, 08:55 AM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
The head coach makes the call here (not Rick DiPietro) based on how the player looks at practice and it's DiPietro's place to be honest and tell him if he's tired and on his game so his coach can make a decision on what goalie will give him the best chance to win. Shaw decided on Snow for his own reasons.

Maybe Shaw held back DiPietro and he wanted to start this game? We have no idea how this played out beyond the scenes beyond Rick saying he was still worn down from the travel.

Shaw started the rested goalie, not sure what you expect from DiPietro when the coach tells him to go in to relieve Snow, he's the backup and tired or not he finishes out the game, that's not the players call either.
That's fine that Shaw made the call, but I also would have liked to have seen DP tell him, "Coach, the team needs me and I want to play." Who knows, maybe he did. Tough to tell as I certainly wasn't in the locker room...I was in traffic on the freaking LIE!

However, I have a bigger problem with Shaw. Here's his quotes--

Quote:
"That's my call. I liked the way Snowy practiced (Monday). There's a big difference between Ricky sharp in practice and Ricky when he looks tired and not mentally sharp. That was part of the decision," interim coach Brad Shaw said. "It's disappointing we lost. But we didn't take care of the puck around their net, and that's why we lost, not who (played in goal)."
So if Ricky was so tired and off, mentally, why did we put him in for the 3rd? And if we didn't lose b/c of who was in our net, why did he pull Snow? He already said that it was b/c we didn't score early. Snow was not good, but I didn't think he was so terrible that he should have been pulled. To me, I think Shaw realized that he should have started DP and corrected his mistake. Unfortunately, he made a bad call in a crucial game. We could have been 4 out and now we are 8. Huge loss. I think Shaw has done a good job since coming on as HC, but last night's decisions were not good, IMHO.

And yes, when the coach tells him to go in, he has absolutely to, so I don't fault DP in any way for playing the 3rd.

Old
03-01-2006, 09:19 AM
cjdv16

no need to bash yashin.

a need to bash the nhl for not playing this game on monday night.

that way, we could have suited up someone who adds value to this team. see saku koivu. hopefully yashin was watching a true captain lead his team.

as for DP... no reason he shouldn't have been in goal.

as for these fins and swede's heading to their home countries and then griping about the schedule... too damn bad... get over it... your allegience is w/the team that pays you. otherwise go pull a kenny jonsson and go home and stay there.

<end of rant>

Old
03-01-2006, 10:16 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16
that way, we could have suited up someone who adds value to this team. see saku koivu. hopefully yashin was watching a true captain lead his team.
This is the same Koivu you ripped in your first post for his comments?

It's funny how Koivu went from being almost as villified in Canada as Yashin to a true captain in the time it took him to get cancer a few years ago and recover, regardless of the fact Yashin's Islanders beat out Koivu's Canadians for a playoff spot in 02-03 who have done no better come playoff time over the years for the most part.

Did you even watch the game?

How many powerplays did Yashin draw for the Islanders last night with his hard work, I counted two. Who had the primary assist on Parrish's goal and who fed Kvasha for his breakway earlier and who kept feeding Satan in the five on three with an open net as he hit the outside of the goal? I think Yashin even fed Blake for his breakaway later on.

Seems like the value was there but three shorthanded goals he was not on the ice for, Campoli's shaky coverage (Yashin was all over Koivu and he still found Higgins on that long pass) and a bad goal by Snow to go with not finishing (all old stories) defeated the Islanders, not the player who wore the captain's letter, and showed up and did a solid job while likely tired.

Old
03-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Killer Carlson

I had no problem whatsoever with Yashin's game last night, personally. I thought he looked pretty good out there.

Old
03-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
So if Ricky was so tired and off, mentally, why did we put him in for the 3rd? And if we didn't lose b/c of who was in our net, why did he pull Snow? He already said that it was b/c we didn't score early. Snow was not good, but I didn't think he was so terrible that he should have been pulled. To me, I think Shaw realized that he should have started DP and corrected his mistake. Unfortunately, he made a bad call in a crucial game. We could have been 4 out and now we are 8. Huge loss. I think Shaw has done a good job since coming on as HC, but last night's decisions were not good, IMHO.
This is precisely what troubles me about the whole thing. If he was too out of it to start, why throw him in when we're down three in the third? Rest him so he's in tip top shape for our next game instead of throwing him in in the third when we're down three. All these games are super-critical for us now, and if DP truly was not ready to play then we needed to give him the time to get back into game shape for the Devils game. I could have understood starting him -- personally, I thought he should have given the US was elimated last Wednesday, almost a week ago -- but I respect Shaw's call about whether DP seemed ready. But, if he wasn't ready, once we're already down three it's a long shot to come back from 3-0 in the third. So we end up with the worst of both worlds -- tagged with the L and DiPietro not rested.

Anyway, the loss certainly wasn't Rick's fault. He had zero chance on either goal he let in. Huge loss for us but time to move on and hope the team is prepared for a war with NJ twice and Philly once in the next week.

Old
03-01-2006, 04:14 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
I had no problem whatsoever with Yashin's game last night, personally. I thought he looked pretty good out there.
i did watch the game.

he was fine, but until i see production i'll continue to bash. he's the captain... he takes the brunt of it. as a "leader" he needs to find a way to lead that team to victory....

i'm so sick and tired of hearing "good effort"... "we try hard"...etc. that's what i hear from the fans and from his quotes after every single loss. well you know what, whatever he's doing simply isn't enough.

bottom line is that in what was EASILY the most important game of the year, koivu produced and yashin did not. it's indisputable... look at the stat line where it counts. F the intangibles.

he simply didn't get the job done last night. end of story. i don't care what his effort was like.

if you're thinking "this guy must expect yashin to be superman", you're damn right. for 90million i expect him to fly down from the rafters with his cape on and put the puck in the net using the jedi mind trick.

ok.. that's extreme... how about eclipsing 90 points and 40 goals as the highest paid player in a league that's supposedly "wide open". whoops.... his #'s won't even come close to that. nevermind.

Closed Thread