HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Higgins a Bulldog

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2003, 10:59 AM
plafleur10

vCash: 500
Higgins a Bulldog

It was annouced by RDS as part of the saku not playing tonight announcement, but it does not seem like anyone picked it up,I guess this is the best solution for Higgins, he needs the ice time, did really OK on 4th line, guess Steve Begin took his spot, while we all like Begin's hustle, not sure he was really needed and would have been nice for Higgins to get on the job education in the NHL...

Old
10-25-2003, 11:01 AM
hockey_nut

it was just updated, i guess... wasn't there before... but thanks for the heads up

i'd rather see higgins playing regularly than watching from the press box in montreal... it's better for him

Old
10-25-2003, 11:12 AM
caper13

good for him he will get lots of ice time hopefully on the first line the bulldogs just got a lot better imo.

Old
10-25-2003, 11:20 AM
Kirk Muller*

So much for our youth movement then.

Higgins and Komisarek in the AHL, after wasting their time in Montréal.

Hainsey in the press box.

Old
10-25-2003, 11:29 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller

I would have preferred to see all three given roles on Montreal too, but the fact is there's a lot of high-priced vets in Montreal that don't have any buyers around the league.

I don't think the Habs are doing too badly on the youth movement front with Ribeiro, Ryder, Hossa and Ward all getting some decent responsibilities.

By the end of the season, if two of Hainsey, Higgins and Komisarek aren't in the Habs lineup regularly I'll be disappointed.

Old
10-25-2003, 11:36 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
And the fact that Dykhuis and Traverse are playing in the AHL also shows some serious commitment to the youth movement.

Bottom line, BG and CJ made a statement early on: the best players will be dressed day-in and day-out.

Old
10-25-2003, 11:50 AM
Breenger

Though Higgins didn't look out of place when he played, I'd say Begin and all of the other vets you might replace, have played a lot better than him so far. It is his first pro season after all. I'd prefer someone like Higgins, Komo and Hainsey to actually earn their spots than have them just handed to them because they are young. This isa new season and the habs do have a chance of making the playoffs, so what sort of message does it send when you start give playing time to players based on what they might do in the future rather than what they are doing now? Higs will get a lot more playing time in Hamilton which can only help him.

Old
10-25-2003, 11:53 AM
Breenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy
And the fact that Dykhuis and Traverse are playing in the AHL also shows some serious commitment to the youth movement.

Bottom line, BG and CJ made a statement early on: the best players will be dressed day-in and day-out.
Actually, Dykhuis and Traverse playing in the AHL is a commitment to winning.

Old
10-25-2003, 11:59 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Hehehehe... Yeah, you're right, but what I meant was since they have huge contracts (moneywise) to be AHL players.

Old
10-25-2003, 12:02 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
Also guys, Begin is only 25 years old too, and Higgins is FAR from ready for NHL action, a year in the AHL will be well worth it for his development. Youth Movement isn't playing only rookies, you develop your prospects and then insert them into the lineup, not vice versa.
Actually Higgins looked good in his limited NHL action, and I can say from watching training camp closely as well as the rookie tournament that he's already playing a polished game. I don't think the AHL will hurt him, but to say he's far from NHL ready is offbase.

Old
10-25-2003, 12:14 PM
turnbuckle*

[QUOTE=Mike Komisarek]Are you guys nuts? You actually wanted Higgins to play in the NHL full time??
QUOTE]

Is there any chance that you could tone it down some? You basically said the same thing to another poster who gave his opinion on Gauthier, and a few days ago you were harrassing Chris Higgins brother and demanding that he go buy a webcam so he can prove to YOU that he's legitimate despite the assurances of many respected posters that he is.

No, the other guys on this board are not nuts - nor do they have to pander to anyone. Their opinions/posts are just as important as yours, and in some instances (such as when Kevin Higgins offers us some tidbits on his brother) more important. I must say it was tough reading that thread the other day; you were frankly embarrassing.

You are obviously a dedicated Hab fan, and you sometimes offer some interesting points, but don't forget that you are not alone in that department, and other posters don't appreciate the name calling.

Don't stop being confrontational, but please, can you show some more respect?

Old
10-25-2003, 12:19 PM
Mike8

[QUOTE=turnbuckle]
Quote:
Are you guys nuts? You actually wanted Higgins to play in the NHL full time??
QUOTE]

Is there any chance that you could tone it down some? You basically said the same thing to another poster who gave his opinion on Gauthier, and a few days ago you were harrassing Chris Higgins brother and demanding that he go buy a webcam so he can prove to YOU that he's legitimate despite the assurances of many respected posters that he is.

No, the other guys on this board are not nuts - nor do they have to pander to anyone. Their opinions/posts are just as important as yours, and in some instances (such as when Kevin Higgins offers us some tidbits on his brother) more important. I must say it was tough reading that thread the other day; you were frankly embarrassing.

You are obviously a dedicated Hab fan, and you sometimes offer some interesting points, but don't forget that you are not alone in that department, and other posters don't appreciate the name calling.

Don't stop being confrontational, but please, can you show some more respect?
Good post!

Old
10-25-2003, 12:48 PM
Boutmania

Send a message via AIM to Boutmania Send a message via Yahoo to Boutmania
Quote:
Well, if people expect a rookie from the NCAA top jump to the NHL, i would think them to be "nuts" ;\

Anyways im sorry
Rob Blake and Chris Chelos did it! Is it that nut to think he can do it???

Old
10-25-2003, 12:57 PM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
Quote:
Well, if people expect a rookie from the NCAA top jump to the NHL, i would think them to be "nuts" ;\

Anyways im sorry
A lot of guys didn't went through the AHL, you know ?

Chris Drury, Tom Poti, Mike York (3g in the minors) , Phil Housley, Peter Sejna, Paul Kariya, Dany Heatley, Tanabe didn't have any 46 games + season under his belt when he came into the league, the same thing for Jordan Leopold, Paul Martin, David Hale. There might be a lot more, but I don't have the time to do a research about it.

At least, it proves a point: you are damn wrong and you shouldn't act like an *ss with the other posters, they don't deserve it.

Old
10-25-2003, 01:02 PM
Mike8

Quote:

Anyways im sorry
It's nuts? How did Chris Drury, a very comparable player to Higgins, do it then? Higgins is bigger than Drury as well.

Steve Reinprecht? He played 102 games (including playoffs) in his rookie season.

Off the top of my head: Poti, Adam Hall, Sejna, Mike York, Comrie, Cullen, among many others jumped from the NCAA to NHL. If I did some research I could find plenty more, too.

There's also many Europeans that jump overseas, play a full NHL season after playing the regular 40-50 in their leagues. Conditioning is rarely a problem for them.

Old
10-25-2003, 01:04 PM
theo6060

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10
It was annouced by RDS as part of the saku not playing tonight announcement, but it does not seem like anyone picked it up,I guess this is the best solution for Higgins, he needs the ice time, did really OK on 4th line, guess Steve Begin took his spot, while we all like Begin's hustle, not sure he was really needed and would have been nice for Higgins to get on the job education in the NHL...
I think this was the right move to make. Let's no hinder his development by having him either watch from the press box or play 5-6 minutes a night. I believe that if you're going to play a prospect, you either play him atleast on the 3rd line or you play him in the AHL.

Old
10-25-2003, 01:06 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Uh, Blake played 4 games, and Chelios played 12 games.

So, yes, it is nuts.
Wrong. Blake's rookie season was 90-91 where he played 75 regular season games and 12 post season games. He signed early and played 4 games in the NHL AFTER his NCAA season was over. That does not constitute as his first pro season. Same deal for Chelios.

Get rid of your "teacher" smiley, you're spewing false statements and points. The condescending tone doesn't help your case either.

Old
10-25-2003, 01:07 PM
Mike8

Quote:
He was asking me, is it nuts for HIGGINS to play in the NHL, my answer is yes, because how can Higgins play an 82 game sheducle, he's not ready for it, he needs to get stronger and used to playing more then 30 games a year.

I wasn't saying NO player can make the jump, but Higgins should stay in the NHL for a year, he'll benefit from it.
Higgins is about as big as he's going to get. He doesn't have much frame left to fill. How you can know his conditioning levels is beyond me, much of that is confidential among the team's management and coaches.

Old
10-25-2003, 01:09 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Sejna is 24 freakin years old and played 3 seasons in the NCAA
Of course that discounts the numerous other players myself and others have mentioned.

Old
10-25-2003, 01:14 PM
Mike8

Quote:
When montreal played the leafs, he got hit by someone, and it was a clean hit, and Higgins went flying.
And of course legit NHLers never get sent flying. :p

If that's your method of analyzing whether a player is physically NHL ready, you better hope management sends Koivu down until he bulks up a bit more.

Old
10-25-2003, 01:15 PM
Mike8

Quote:
As far as im concerned he played 4 games in a season, AFTER the NCAA, and same for Chelios(12)
He played those games the same year as he played his final NCAA season.

So if Higgins was signed after his NCAA season ended last year, played 4 games, you would think differently as to whether he's NHL ready?

Old
10-25-2003, 01:17 PM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
Quote:
Duh i wasn't saying NO player can make the jump
Maybe you need to know what you were really saying, which is:

Quote:

Old
10-25-2003, 01:18 PM
habsfansam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller

Yeah, cause Ward and Ryder don't really count... and Hainsey hasn't played in the majority of our games or anything... sheesh, take it easy, are you really all that interested in watching a team of 18-22yearolds get their butts kicked every night just to have a shot a ovechkin?? I doubt it...

Sending Higgins down is the best thing for him. He'll have icetime, and he'll get to know the guys that he'll be playing with for his NHL career! Best of luck to him in the minors... learn fast and make things hard on management Chris!

GO HABS!!

Old
10-25-2003, 01:20 PM
Mathieu Lavergne
AKA Saku K.

Send a message via ICQ to Mathieu Lavergne
Quote:
When montreal played the leafs, he got hit by someone, and it was a clean hit, and Higgins went flying.
I have afeeling that Mike komisarek (the player) will send down a bunch of players in the AHL for conditioning in his career. :clown:

Old
10-25-2003, 01:21 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Wouldn't that mean he would have a whole other year to get ready for the NHL? or no?
No. Take a look at Blake's stats:

1989-90Bowling Green State UniversityNCAA - 42
1989-90Los-Angeles KingsNHL - 4
1990-91Los-Angeles KingsNHL - 75

The number shown is games played. Notice those 4 games are in the same season as his last NCAA season? That means he was signed after the NCAA season finished, but NHL season was still going, and was called up.

This is fairly frequent and happened with Reinprecht, Krog (I believe) and Sejna last year.

Closed Thread