HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staal

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2003, 08:09 PM
Leaf_Crazy

vCash: 500
Stall

Hey im just wondering what the Carolina fans think about stalls point potential this year?

Please I dont want a Bia opinion here... just an estimate.. do you think he will break 50 Points?

Thanks

Old
10-24-2003, 08:15 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Right now, the points are just starting to come and GM JR has already stated that Staal isn't going back to the OHL for another stint so he's here for good. That said, I think it would be stupid to play Staal on the 4th line and waste this year of development for him. I'm predicting Staal landing on the 3rd line and seeing significant action on the powerplay.

So in my humble estimation, i'm going to say 35 points. Staal is going to be special very soon and 35 points from an 18 year old is definantly something to write home about.

Old
10-24-2003, 08:29 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
Right now, the points are just starting to come and GM JR has already stated that Staal isn't going back to the OHL for another stint so he's here for good. That said, I think it would be stupid to play Staal on the 4th line and waste this year of development for him. I'm predicting Staal landing on the 3rd line and seeing significant action on the powerplay.
on www.fourthperiod.com(yes I know its not the most credible sight) it was talking about how Rutherford wants to give Staal more ice I am thinking perhaps a second line roll? This is just my own specualtion but I think all those scouts might have been there to check out Brindy, he might be on the block to give Staal second line minutes and save some pay-roll for the Canes.

Old
10-24-2003, 08:35 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
on www.fourthperiod.com(yes I know its not the most credible sight) it was talking about how Rutherford wants to give Staal more ice I am thinking perhaps a second line roll? This is just my own specualtion but I think all those scouts might have been there to check out Brindy, he might be on the block to give Staal second line minutes and save some pay-roll for the Canes.
Well the only thing that would lead me to believe otherwise is that Rod Brind'Amour will be our only legit centerman after Ron Francis retires next year. I don't think we could afford to be playing a 19-year-old kid on our top scoring line and expect to make the playoffs. Rod is one of the most underrated commodities in this league and i'm almost sure that he's going to be around until his contract runs out. Not to mention he and his family are very happy here in North Carolina and that no trade clause he has would have to be waived and I don't see that happening.

Brind'Amour is the next captain of this team if you ask me.

Old
10-24-2003, 09:12 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Well the only thing that would lead me to believe otherwise is that Rod Brind'Amour will be our only legit centerman after Ron Francis retires next year. I don't think we could afford to be playing a 19-year-old kid on our top scoring line and expect to make the playoffs. Rod is one of the most underrated commodities in this league and i'm almost sure that he's going to be around until his contract runs out. Not to mention he and his family are very happy here in North Carolina and that no trade clause he has would have to be waived and I don't see that happening.

Brind'Amour is the next captain of this team if you ask me.
No question there... The Canes lose Ronnie after this year (well, at least they most likely will) and they need someone to step up as captain. Brindy is the answer there... IMO he would be captain for all but a few teams in the league and I don't see the Canes letting go of what they have in him, over-budget or not.

As for Staal... I figure he will get somewhere in the 35-45 point range this year, especially if he stays with O'Neill.

Old
10-24-2003, 09:58 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUCanesFan
No question there... The Canes lose Ronnie after this year (well, at least they most likely will) and they need someone to step up as captain. Brindy is the answer there... IMO he would be captain for all but a few teams in the league and I don't see the Canes letting go of what they have in him, over-budget or not.

As for Staal... I figure he will get somewhere in the 35-45 point range this year, especially if he stays with O'Neill.
I thought they might go with Staal + Vasicek down the center but if both u think it is a foregone certainty he will stay u are probably right I was just speculating based on info.

Old
10-25-2003, 06:48 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
I thought they might go with Staal + Vasicek down the center but if both u think it is a foregone certainty he will stay u are probably right I was just speculating based on info.
Well this is a team that relies very much on its veteran influence on younger players. It might actually be one of the main reasons you see Eric Staal on the roster today. They wanted to get him some time with Francis before he hung them up. I think Brind'Amour will serve as the mentor for Staal following the retirement of Francis and I can't think of anyone better to do it. Brindy is the king of the intangibles, especially faceoffs. Staal is already no slouch in that regard so I think with Brindy's help he will firmly place himself in the upper echelon of draw men in the league.

Old
10-25-2003, 10:51 AM
Leaf_Crazy

Personally I see Staal coming closer to 50 Points.

Old
10-25-2003, 06:44 PM
Koltsov71

vCash:
I think 35-40 is attainable.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:21 AM
Foligno17

vCash:
I have the advantage of replying after seeing Vasicek / Staal / ONeil together for a few games. I honestly think Staal will finish with 50 points. I'm counting on Vasicek to be more consistent than in past seasons for this to happen.

I'm most impressed with Staal's instincts and what he does without the puck. He is defensively sound and has a habit of sneaking into scoring position in front of the net. Staal will get a few cheap assists playing with ONeil, like the one he got on ONeil's 30-foot slap shot the other night. I think he will finish with 18-22 goals and 30 assists or so, putting him in the hunt for the Calder.

Years from now, when he adds some size and strength, Staal will become more of a goal scorer.

Old
11-10-2003, 10:55 AM
MentalPowerHouse

Its nice to see a young player who can play without the puck, something that underrated when people look at prospects.

He is currently on pace for about 55-60 points, and is only getting better. 60+ points would be great, but I would say around 50-55

Old
11-10-2003, 11:25 PM
gibber1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalPowerHouse
Its nice to see a young player who can play without the puck, something that underrated when people look at prospects.

He is currently on pace for about 55-60 points, and is only getting better. 60+ points would be great, but I would say around 50-55
I agree, this draft year is the best in 10-15 years. Staal is going to be a star!!!!

Old
11-17-2003, 09:52 AM
CaniacChuck

vCash:
I think Staal could very well hit 50+points. If vasicek can keep up his numbers (he's allready well ahead of pace for a career year), and O'Neil can get his 60+ points that he's given us consistently now.

Old
11-17-2003, 12:55 PM
brind'amour

I think 50-55 is reasonable for Staal. O'Neill is going to get his 30 goals so Staal should get his fair share of assists. We can only hope Vasicek doesn't fall off the face of the earth like he has done in the past.

Old
11-17-2003, 01:36 PM
Plan 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brind'amour
I think 50-55 is reasonable for Staal. O'Neill is going to get his 30 goals so Staal should get his fair share of assists. We can only hope Vasicek doesn't fall off the face of the earth like he has done in the past.
Welcome to the board.

Old
03-12-2004, 10:05 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Just thought i'd revive this one for the heck of it. :p

Old
03-12-2004, 10:06 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

For the record, Staal stands at 27 points through 70 games.

Old
03-12-2004, 10:55 PM
bleedgreen

im going out on limb and saying 32-35 points.

Old
03-12-2004, 11:03 PM
Plan 9

Quote:
For the record, Staal stands at 27 points through 70 games.
You and I both said about 35 points way back when, and it looks like he'll be lucky to even get that many.

Old
03-13-2004, 12:39 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macabre
You and I both said about 35 points way back when, and it looks like he'll be lucky to even get that many.
I've got faith he'll get there now that Francis is gone though. 12 games remaining and only 8 points away isn't unattainable. Especially now that he has 3 points over the past two games.

Old
03-17-2004, 02:43 PM
HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN

So is Staal the official Canes 2nd line center behind Brind Amour, or is Vasicek playing center ahead of him? Just curious - drafted Staal in a lifetime keeper pool and was very impressed with his early start, but has faded a bit in the past couple of months. Could this be due partially to fatigue? Or just the lack of scoring on the part of the Canes?

I also notice his minutes have dropped drastically. He was playing upwards of 20 minutes some games when Francis was still around, but has dropped down to 12 - 15 minutes lately (from what I remember). Is he still performing out there as was expected of him.? I am not grouping performance with point production as he is still very young. Is he on the right track to be what he was hailed to be at the beginning of the year (Francis heir apparent - all around great performer)?

Just curious. Looking to give some frustrated Canes fans a chance to talk him up. And I am reall torn about tonights game. Of course we all want to win every game, but with every couple of losses that brings us a few percentage points closer to drafting Ovechkin, and I figure the year is a write of anyway. Let the young guys play to gether and give them a chance to gel, if nothing else.

Old
03-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN
So is Staal the official Canes 2nd line center behind Brind Amour, or is Vasicek playing center ahead of him? Just curious - drafted Staal in a lifetime keeper pool and was very impressed with his early start, but has faded a bit in the past couple of months. Could this be due partially to fatigue? Or just the lack of scoring on the part of the Canes?

I also notice his minutes have dropped drastically. He was playing upwards of 20 minutes some games when Francis was still around, but has dropped down to 12 - 15 minutes lately (from what I remember). Is he still performing out there as was expected of him.? I am not grouping performance with point production as he is still very young. Is he on the right track to be what he was hailed to be at the beginning of the year (Francis heir apparent - all around great performer)?

Just curious. Looking to give some frustrated Canes fans a chance to talk him up. And I am reall torn about tonights game. Of course we all want to win every game, but with every couple of losses that brings us a few percentage points closer to drafting Ovechkin, and I figure the year is a write of anyway. Let the young guys play to gether and give them a chance to gel, if nothing else.
Staal has been playing a lot of 2nd line center due to the fact that Josef Vasicek has made almost a full time switch to the wing this season and Brind'Amour is on the depth chart in front of him. Next season, Staal should get his chance at playing first line minutes for the whole entire year and i'd predict at least 45 points out of him. That could be pretty modest, as he's a fantastic prospect who will one day be a point per game player in my opinion. He just needs the time to develop and fill out his frame, which is rather thin at the moment. Once he gets up into the 220 range, he's going to be a monster. Mike Modano and Joe Thornton comparisons are what i've seen.

Recently Staal has been hitting the, "wall" as most scouts call it. His body isn't used to the rigors of an NHL season yet and it is starting to show in his level of play. He hasn't dropped off a significant amount, it's just that he has been getting less ice time due to the fact that Laviolette knows better than to spoil this kid's chances at stardom by blowing him out in the first season. Especially when the team is essentially playing meaningless games. It is Lavy's job to ensure that Staal gets enough icetime to learn, yet doesn't fatigue himself to the point where he's going to need a month off of conditioining in the offseason to recover from nagging injuries. It has also been documented that Staal has been getting a few days off in practice because he's so young to recover.

Just watch him in tonight's game and you'll see the potential is there. We're going to have the chance to see two of the league's premier up and coming players in Ruutu and Staal tonight. Even if the game is meaningless, it should still be fun to watch those two.

Old
03-18-2004, 08:47 AM
jeffbear

Right ... and now Staal faces his first real NHL injury after leaving the game with the Hawks after the second period with a "torso injury" ... whatever the heck that means.

Honestly I think Eric has been worn out for some time both mentally and physically. The effort is still there and the flashes of his enormous talent still shine through six or eight times a game ... but he's about a half a step or a couple inches of reach from scoring way too often to not chalk it up to fatigue at some level.

This is not a kind that really expected to be in this prominent a role on an NHL team this year aftr all ... there's no way he could have been physically ready for the grind.

Old
03-18-2004, 01:24 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Agreed. I think it is in the best interest of this kid's development to sit out as much as he wants until the end of the season. I don't want his conditioning time to suffer due to nagging injuries, like I said earlier. Let's get him healthy and with Pete as soon as possible.

Old
03-29-2004, 09:23 PM
kennyx

Just out of curiosity... what type of player is Staal?
Being from Toronto, I dont get much of a chance to see him play, but from various boards I keep hearing that Staal is going to be a superstar, and that he's a 'franchise' player.

If you were to compare him to his full potential (what you expect him to become in the future) to another player in the league, who would it be?

Closed Thread