HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Higgins Quote on Koivu

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2006, 10:47 PM
fufonzo

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Higgins Quote on Koivu

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=156573&hubname=nhl
Quote:
''Saku makes you better,'' Higgins said. ''He's a great player and gets you the puck in the right places.

''He's a great leader, too.''
(Alright, I'm not sure if this deserves a new thread but figured it's pretty dead here and if "Should trade for Chris Minard " is worthy of being a new thread I figure this could be as well.)

Just to show that someone who is in the room and is on the bench with Saku thinks he's a great leader.

I'm happy for Higgins tonight. From what I've seen and read on this guy, he's someone I want on my Habs. I hope he sticks around for a while.

Would have been nice if Komi would have gotten his first goal in front of his family and friends also. Can't believe he's still scoreless/

Old
02-28-2006, 10:50 PM
MissCanuck

Like I didn't like the guy enough already.
aha

Komi was SOOOO close. Damnit, it's comin'!

Old
02-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Traitor8

I think the fact that Gainey decided to sign him to a 3 yr contract and give him a NTC shows that Gainey,Carbonneau really think he is a leader ....

Old
02-28-2006, 10:54 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
I think the fact that Gainey decided to sign him to a 3 yr contract and give him a NTC shows that Gainey,Carbonneau really think he is a leader ....

they will do the same thing for higgins in the near future i like the guy he is only going to get better and better .

he just gets it done i really like that about him

Old
02-28-2006, 11:05 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Good for higgins, he had an awesome game so did Saku, it looked at first that it was going to be all kovalev and perez, but saku and higgs took it...

here's a nice/not nice dilemma

perez-saku-kovalev was an awesome line... do we bring it back 2gether or do we just add kovalev to the higgs-saku duo (cuz appart from his goal ryder was crap) And then who plays with ribeiro? aah keep the lines intact i guess or.. demote ribeiro and put pleks in his place, i think that would be better b-cuz pleks speed>>>> ribeiro speed and makes the line that much better

anyways saku is an awesome leader, and our rookies are going to be awesome soph's.

Go Habs Go!!

Old
02-28-2006, 11:14 PM
fufonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye West
Good for higgins, he had an awesome game so did Saku, it looked at first that it was going to be all kovalev and perez, but saku and higgs took it...

perez-saku-kovalev was an awesome line... do we bring it back 2gether or do we just add kovalev to the higgs-saku duo (cuz appart from his goal ryder was crap) And then who plays with ribeiro? aah keep the lines intact i guess or.. demote ribeiro and put pleks in his place, i think that would be better b-cuz pleks speed>>>> ribeiro speed and makes the line that much better

anyways saku is an awesome leader, and our rookies are going to be awesome soph's.

Go Habs Go!!
I think theyre going to leave it as is.
Reason being:
Koivu and Higgins are doing well. Ryder is not playing well but I think Saku can bring him out of his funk while I dont think Ribeiro could.

Also, although I think Kovalev-Koivu-Perez would score more points than Perez-Ribeiro-Kovalev, I don't think Higgins-Ribs-Ryder would come close to Ryder-Saku-Higgins.

Also, this way, the other team doesn't know which line to play their top line against, which leaves one of those line without as much coverage.

Because of this, I say keep the lines as is. It's working right now. Go Habs!

Old
02-28-2006, 11:15 PM
Shabutie

Quote:

Go Habs Go!!
I'd say re-try the Higgs - Saku - Kovy line... Perez doesn't deserve to be on the top line. If I had my way the lines would be;

Higgins - Saku - Kovalev (try it another 2-3 games)
Bulis - Pleks - Kost/Perez
Perez/kost - Ribs - Ryder
Begin - Bonk - Murray

Send Zednik to Hamilton, I REALLY can't stand him anymore...especially seing number 20 on the PP. Sundstrom...

Old
02-28-2006, 11:16 PM
Kirk Muller

Is Mikey listening. The subtle difference between class and ***.

Old
02-28-2006, 11:19 PM
fufonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
I'd say re-try the Higgs - Saku - Kovy line... Perez doesn't deserve to be on the top line. If I had my way the lines would be;

Begin - Bonk - Murray

Send Zednik to Hamilton, I REALLY can't stand him anymore...especially seing number 20 on the PP. Sundstrom...
I don't find Zednik's playing that badly. Just the RDS commentators magnify any mistake he makes and don't mention the good things he does. He's no Ovechkin, but he has been skating hard and working hard. I really don't mind that 3rd line as it is.
As for the top two lines, you can read my post above.

Old
02-28-2006, 11:23 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie

Begin - Bonk - Murray

I agree, here's the thing though, we take Kovalev away from Perez and Perez is left with Ribeiro who isn't a good influence on anyone. Higgins has Saku, i think we should try to keep Perez with Kovalev, Koivu can take a guy like Ryder because Ryder on his game is real good (still waiting for that game to show up this season)

Higgins-Saku-Ryder
Perez-Pleks-Kovy

but for $#!ts and giggles
Higgin-Koivu-Kovalev
Perez-Pleks-Kostitsyn (here the problem is that they are too young maybe swap Kovalev and Kost)
Bulis-Ribs-Ryder
Begin-Bonk-Sunny (yes i still like sunny i don't get why ppl hate him so much i think he's an awesome defensive forward and positional player kinda like joe juneau and dackell everyteam needs one - ok better than dackell and juneau - )

i think we'll all be more satisfied with the lines in 2 years when all the kids (up to kost) have made the team and guys like Ribs, Zednik, Bonk (unless he wakes up) are gone... and Dandy

btw did u see Souray and Dandy split the Isles D 2night? crazy

Old
02-28-2006, 11:24 PM
Guriken

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo
I think theyre going to leave it as is.
Reason being:
Koivu and Higgins are doing well. Ryder is not playing well but I think Saku can bring him out of his funk while I dont think Ribeiro could.

Also, although I think Kovalev-Koivu-Perez would score more points than Perez-Ribeiro-Kovalev, I don't think Higgins-Ribs-Ryder would come close to Ryder-Saku-Higgins.

Also, this way, the other team doesn't know which line to play their top line against, which leaves one of those line without as much coverage.

Because of this, I say keep the lines as is. It's working right now. Go Habs!
Yeah I don't know why we should change the lineup right now.. the only questionable player in the lineup imo is Zednik, I think he makes his linemates worse.

Old
02-28-2006, 11:29 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=156573&hubname=nhl

(Alright, I'm not sure if this deserves a new thread but figured it's pretty dead here and if "Should trade for Chris Minard " is worthy of being a new thread I figure this could be as well.)

Just to show that someone who is in the room and is on the bench with Saku thinks he's a great leader.

I'm happy for Higgins tonight. From what I've seen and read on this guy, he's someone I want on my Habs. I hope he sticks around for a while.

Would have been nice if Komi would have gotten his first goal in front of his family and friends also. Can't believe he's still scoreless/
If your referring to the "supposed" comments by Ribeiro...I have yet to see proof that they ever happened and will assume they never happened until I hear otherwise

Old
02-28-2006, 11:31 PM
davenash

Higgins is pretty great, isn't he? This kid will be something special.

Old
02-28-2006, 11:32 PM
fufonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate
If your referring to the "supposed" comments by Ribeiro...I have yet to see proof that they ever happened and will assume they never happened until I hear otherwise
No, I believe that those were never made. Ribeiro is not that stupid.

I'm just talking about the people on these boards and everywhere else that say koivu is not a good leader and have NOTHING to back it up.

Old
02-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
I agree, here's the thing though, we take Kovalev away from Perez and Perez is left with Ribeiro who isn't a good influence on anyone. Higgins has Saku, i think we should try to keep Perez with Kovalev, Koivu can take a guy like Ryder because Ryder on his game is real good (still waiting for that game to show up this season)

Higgins-Saku-Ryder
Perez-Pleks-Kovy

but for $#!ts and giggles
Higgin-Koivu-Kovalev
Perez-Pleks-Kostitsyn (here the problem is that they are too young maybe swap Kovalev and Kost)
Bulis-Ribs-Ryder
Begin-Bonk-Sunny (yes i still like sunny i don't get why ppl hate him so much i think he's an awesome defensive forward and positional player kinda like joe juneau and dackell everyteam needs one - ok better than dackell and juneau - )

i think we'll all be more satisfied with the lines in 2 years when all the kids (up to kost) have made the team and guys like Ribs, Zednik, Bonk (unless he wakes up) are gone... and Dandy

btw did u see Souray and Dandy split the Isles D 2night? crazy
Thinking back on it, Kovy really only seems to bring it when Perez is on his line. God knows why, but I think maybe it is time to switch up the top 2 lines;

Perez - Saks - Kovy
Higgins - Pleks - Ryder
Bulis - Ribs - Kost
Begin - Bonk - Murray

These lines seem the most evened out to me. I think Higgins and Pleks would be enough to get Ryder out of his groove. Kost and Bulis are both very hardworking, maybe they could get Ribs going. I don't expect Gainey to split the lines up after a 5 goal performance..unless he saw what all of us did the first 2 periods.

Old
02-28-2006, 11:55 PM
jonny5

Why all the bad comments on Ryder all the time? It is very true that he is not playing the game like he did in the last season. He is making mistakes, trying to carry the puck too much, and not playing with the same intensity. But, we all know of the ''sophomore jinx," as some hockey players call it. A lot of other players had worse second years than Ryder is having right now. Lets give him a break, he will find his groove. He is not playing his near best hockey, and he still has scored 24 goals, 1 short of last years 25 goals with 25 more games to go. If a player is having a "sophomore jinx" year, and still scores possibly 30 goals for my team, then that would certainly be a bonus.

Also, we have taken 10 out a possible 12 points in the last six games. Leave the lines as they are right now, there was enough switching when Julien was coach, "if its not broken don't fix it".

Old
03-01-2006, 12:33 AM
wholeshow*

higgins is great! i can't wait to see him play on a line with chipchura, i bet they'll form 2/3 of a great line.

ah yes, saku the leader. i can't stand people who question his leadership abilities. haters mention how the habs haven't gotten very far with saku as the captain, but seriously...did you guys look at the quality of talent surrounding him? he's a born leader, just ask the finns.
people wanted to bash koivu because he asked for a 'day off'? perhaps he felt that he couldn't up to his level, and as a result didn't want to hurt his team and teammates with a lacklustre performance. even though he was tired today, he still led the habs to a victory.
so why did we see saku tonight?
i guess bob just told him: 'saku even if you're at 50%, you're still better than ribeiro...we need you tonight". Prompting saku to agree.

Old
03-01-2006, 12:51 AM
NBHABSFAN

Classy comments by higgins, he really stepped it up tonight.

Old
03-01-2006, 06:24 AM
slick_adonis

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wholefnshow
higgins is great! i can't wait to see him play on a line with chipchura, i bet they'll form 2/3 of a great line...
Yeah, Higgins has been playing great pretty much all season, and I stand by what I've been saying all season: he is not a 3rd line player. I don't see him playing on a line with Chipchura in the future.

I would consider myself an admirer of Kyle's game, but his offensive upside is limited...he doesn't have the greatest offensive skill, but he gives you an honest effort every game, understands the game really well, and is liked by his teammates. I see him becoming a great 3rd line centerman down the line.

Higgins, on the other hand, actually has a very considerable offensive skill set. He is a great stickhandler, brilliant along the boards (especially considering he ain't the biggest guy out there) and possesses good vision. People keep saying he can't score or whatever, but I've been following him for years now, and I can tell for a fact that he has a very good shot, and will score a lot of goals in this league once he gains confidence in himself. I'd say Higgins becoming a good 3rd liner is his future downside. To me, he's already shown that he is more than a 3rd liner at the NHL level. Once he really gets it going (and it always seems to be later in the season for some reason), more people will take notice of his abilities (he has oodles more than Ryder, for example) and see that his potential upside is more like a very good 2nd liner, or even a decent 1st liner.

Old
03-01-2006, 06:55 AM
mcphee

I don't know that you can define a player like Higgins with a title like 1st,2nd or 3rd liner. I think he's a good player, and like a lot of guys, his numbers depend on who he plays with. What's in his favor is that he will contribute when the puck isn't going in.

Koivu made some comments early in the season about the quality of rookies on the team and went on to talk of contribution on and off the ice. I believe Koivu is a big Higgins fan. When you think about, Higgins plays a lot like the prototypical Finnish player. He skates, takes a direct route, shows up every game and understands the gameplan. He makes rookie mistakes, but seems to always work thru it.
It's just taste I guess, but I'm a big fan of this kid. As for line combinations, I wouldn't shake up Ribs and Kovalev. Right now, Kovalev is taking the lead on the line and it's helping both linemates. Kovalev made 2 Gainey like defensive plays last night that had me checking his # to make sure it was teh right guy. Ribs will learn to read Kovalev better and they'll produce. I like the idea of a big line, but for the present, spreading responsibility seems to make sense.

Old
03-01-2006, 07:13 AM
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I don't know that you can define a player like Higgins with a title like 1st,2nd or 3rd liner. I think he's a good player, and like a lot of guys, his numbers depend on who he plays with. What's in his favor is that he will contribute when the puck isn't going in.

Koivu made some comments early in the season about the quality of rookies on the team and went on to talk of contribution on and off the ice. I believe Koivu is a big Higgins fan. When you think about, Higgins plays a lot like the prototypical Finnish player. He skates, takes a direct route, shows up every game and understands the gameplan. He makes rookie mistakes, but seems to always work thru it.
It's just taste I guess, but I'm a big fan of this kid. As for line combinations, I wouldn't shake up Ribs and Kovalev. Right now, Kovalev is taking the lead on the line and it's helping both linemates. Kovalev made 2 Gainey like defensive plays last night that had me checking his # to make sure it was teh right guy. Ribs will learn to read Kovalev better and they'll produce. I like the idea of a big line, but for the present, spreading responsibility seems to make sense.

I too really like Higgins. Another player that I think is cut from the same cloth is Chipchura. When Higgins and Chip mature on this team leadership will not be in question. Carbo has some solid building blocks.

Old
03-01-2006, 07:22 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS
I too really like Higgins. Another player that I think is cut from the same cloth is Chipchura. When Higgins and Chip mature on this team leadership will not be in question. Carbo has some solid building blocks.
I think with Chipchura, it'll alll come down to skating. Higgins is an old style river skater. I worry about how strong on his skates Chip will be. I think his offense may be a bit underrated, esp. playmaking. I just hope that he's fluid enough to play in all matchups. Character wise, they both seem ideal.

Old
03-01-2006, 07:34 AM
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
I think with Chipchura, it'll alll come down to skating. Higgins is an old style river skater. I worry about how strong on his skates Chip will be. I think his offense may be a bit underrated, esp. playmaking. I just hope that he's fluid enough to play in all matchups. Character wise, they both seem ideal.
yeah I was refering to their approach to the game. I do believe though that Chip's skating, like Latendresse, gets blown up, they are not pretty to watch but they get the job done. Chipchura's positioning is exceptional (it needs to be to make up for foot speed) and Latendresse's hands make up for his first step. You are right though Higgins has the more complete package.

Old
03-01-2006, 12:10 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:

Great post sir.
I also got the impression that Koivu really liked Higgins and I'm glad someone else mentionned it.
It's funny because I'm still not sure where or how I got that impression. Last night they showed the mic'ed up segments and you see Koivu's reaction to one of Higgins goal, it's hard to explain but it just seemed like Koivu has taken him under his wing.

I don't usually say things on just an impression because that opens the door to silly stuff and discussions on Rib's crooked headwear and the color of his shirts.

On the other hand, how can you not be a fan of Higgins. On other mic'ed segments you saw him joke around with Ryder and other time with Begin when he was on the 4th line. Since he now plays on the 1st line I guess Gainey likes him also.

Old
03-01-2006, 12:26 PM
MathMan

I think keeping Higgins with Koivu and Perezhogin with Kovalev would be a wise move. Each of the rookies seem to have grabbed a mentor who plays a similar style, and playing them on the same line seems to have generated some good chemistry. Ribs looks good with Kovy so leave him there (it would be good if he got points on the sheet to silence his detractors, but he looks good on the ice). Ryder is struggling a bit, but if he goes back to his rookie work ethic he's a great fit on the Koivu line. So you have a dangle-and-pretty-pass line with Perez-Ribs-Kovalev and a line with more grit (but no small amount of skill) in Higgins-Koivu-Ryder. It works quite well, though again it would help if Ryder got out of his funk (albeit he's up to 24 goals and counting).

Pleks has Bulis -- both are Czech, and both are very speedy -- but he seems the most mature of the three and may not need nearly has much mentoring. Zednik is really holding them back but I don't see Sundstrom as much of an upgrade. The old Zednik would be a good match for that line though, if we could have him back... Kost maybe?

Closed Thread