Notices

Goaltender Peter Hamerlik assigned to Panther's ECHL affiliate

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2003, 09:35 PM
misterjaggers

vCash: 500
Goaltender Peter Hamerlik assigned to Panther's ECHL affiliate

Peter Hamerlik, the Bruin's 5th round pick in 2002, was assigned to the Florida Panthers' Augusta Lynx affiliate three days ago.

THIRD MAN OUT
In Providence, the Bruins decided to pair rookie Toivenon with veteran Tim Thomas so Hamerlik became the third man out. A Bruin's press release at the end of the P-Bruins training camp assigned him to the ECHL's Atlantic City Bullies. Apparently he attended their training camp but was again the third goalie so now, two games into the ECHL season, Panther's GM Rick Dudley okayed Hamerlik's assignment to his Augusta, GA farm club.

Finally, I can cross that MIA off my list!

(http://www.augustalynx.com/news/03/1...k_102103.shtml)

Old
10-25-2003, 09:32 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
Peter Hamerlik, the Bruin's 5th round pick in 2002, was assigned to the Florida Panthers' Augusta Lynx affiliate three days ago.

THIRD MAN OUT
In Providence, the Bruins decided to pair rookie Toivenon with veteran Tim Thomas so Hamerlik became the third man out. A Bruin's press release at the end of the P-Bruins training camp assigned him to the ECHL's Atlantic City Bullies. Apparently he attended their training camp but was again the third goalie so now, two games into the ECHL season, Panther's GM Rick Dudley okayed Hamerlik's assignment to his Augusta, GA farm club.

Finally, I can cross that MIA off my list!

(http://www.augustalynx.com/news/03/1...k_102103.shtml)

Good...I'll be able to check him out down here in Columbus on November 2nd if he starts. The Cottonmouths have a pretty good-looking goalie prospect in Montreal's system named Olivier Michaud. A Hamerlik-Michaud matchup would be a good game to watch!

Former Bruin Brian Curran coaches the Cottonmouths and works out at the same gym I do. Good guy.

Old
10-25-2003, 09:42 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ
Good...I'll be able to check him out down here in Columbus on November 2nd if he starts. The Cottonmouths have a pretty good-looking goalie prospect in Montreal's system named Olivier Michaud. A Hamerlik-Michaud matchup would be a good game to watch!

Former Bruin Brian Curran coaches the Cottonmouths and works out at the same gym I do. Good guy.
ask Brian Curran about the most unlikely goal scored in history- by him, against the Nordiques when he came out of the box and scored on a breakaway top shelf.

Curran used to go to my gym also- in Danvers. Nice guy- and I loved his fights, very underrated in Bruin lore.

As for the cottonmouths- I had that this morning after tipping a few at the local watering hole last night. Just curious, but was the team named by some freshman kid who did a bit to much partying???

Old
10-25-2003, 10:14 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
ask Brian Curran about the most unlikely goal scored in history- by him, against the Nordiques when he came out of the box and scored on a breakaway top shelf.

Curran used to go to my gym also- in Danvers. Nice guy- and I loved his fights, very underrated in Bruin lore.
We've chatted a few times at the gym, but I try to leave him alone to do his workouts. He and assistant coach Jerome "Boom Boom" Bechard, a former Hartford Whalers draft pick and farmhand, do a pretty intense interval workout there.

The first time I introduced myself to Curran, Bechard came up in the middle of the conversation, and Curran said to him while gesturing towards me, "He knew me when I was an a-hole," referring to his Boston days, after I had told him that my dad and I had season tickets in the early 80's.

Bechard, who is also a very good guy, grabbed the opening Curran inadvertently left and said to me, "Ah, just met him, eh?"

Curran was speechless, and it was a nice ice breaker.

Anyway- he is a disciplinarian kind of coach who has a very modestly talented roster working very hard and making the most of their chances. Michaud is the crown jewel of the Columbus roster- very quick feet and an excellent glove. I know that he was Team Canada's starter in the WJC a few years back, but beyond that, I don't know a whole lot about him.

Curran is already very popular with the Columbus fans, as they can tell that he has the club playing hard and overachieving- a major improvement over the previous coach and teams of the past couple of years. Interestingly enough, everyone's favorite whipping boy from last season's team was Jeff Zehr, who had all of the talent, but none of the work ethic. Ask anyone about him and you get an extended eye roll. I caught enough games last season to see the skills that had Zehr rated a top prospect in '97, but he never seemed willing to pay the price to make a play. That gets you a quick ticket out of the bigs.

In any case, I hope that Hamerlik gets the start on the 2nd. Because the Lynx are also in Georgia, I should be able to see them quite a bit this season.

Old
10-25-2003, 11:53 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ
We've chatted a few times at the gym, but I try to leave him alone to do his workouts. He and assistant coach Jerome "Boom Boom" Bechard, a former Hartford Whalers draft pick and farmhand, do a pretty intense interval workout there.

The first time I introduced myself to Curran, Bechard came up in the middle of the conversation, and Curran said to him while gesturing towards me, "He knew me when I was an a-hole," referring to his Boston days, after I had told him that my dad and I had season tickets in the early 80's.

Bechard, who is also a very good guy, grabbed the opening Curran inadvertently left and said to me, "Ah, just met him, eh?"

Curran was speechless, and it was a nice ice breaker.

Anyway- he is a disciplinarian kind of coach who has a very modestly talented roster working very hard and making the most of their chances. Michaud is the crown jewel of the Columbus roster- very quick feet and an excellent glove. I know that he was Team Canada's starter in the WJC a few years back, but beyond that, I don't know a whole lot about him.

Curran is already very popular with the Columbus fans, as they can tell that he has the club playing hard and overachieving- a major improvement over the previous coach and teams of the past couple of years. Interestingly enough, everyone's favorite whipping boy from last season's team was Jeff Zehr, who had all of the talent, but none of the work ethic. Ask anyone about him and you get an extended eye roll. I caught enough games last season to see the skills that had Zehr rated a top prospect in '97, but he never seemed willing to pay the price to make a play. That gets you a quick ticket out of the bigs.

In any case, I hope that Hamerlik gets the start on the 2nd. Because the Lynx are also in Georgia, I should be able to see them quite a bit this season.
funny you bring up Zehr....he was in the Thornton-Samsonov draft and I went to the party at the Fleece that day; came home and was going out with family to do something and the Broons were about to pick in the top of the second round. I made my wife wait a few minutes while I waited to see if they added a third top young forward in Zehr. Of course, I never saw him play and was going by Red Line and Hockey News etc....I probably *****ed the whole time we were out I can hear myself complaining now- "the Broons couldaaaa restocked their entire forward group with this one draft".

Funny Zehr ends up with Milbury who has done imo less with more than just about anyone. He took the same multiple great draft picks the Nords did and screwed it up by his lack of patience. I don't care how good Depietro is going to be he should have sat on Luongo and drafted Heatley. The guy traded all sorts of guys like Brewer, Bertuzzi, its a blurrrr.....wait, sounds like a Micheal Karlstrom production (I want to add its great to have Mike back regularly- a true HF allstar)

Closed Thread