HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Derek Morris

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2006, 06:30 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Derek Morris

Morris is expected back sometime this month. With Nagy out for the rest of the season, the chances of the Coyotes making the playoffs are slim to none. Morris has failed to impress me in his time with Phoenix. He will be an unrestricted free agent at season's end, and I'd like to see him traded to a team that might be a better fit. Does anyone feel that their team could use Derek Morris for a playoff run? After all, he is still a very talented defenseman. What would you consider a fair trade?

Old
02-04-2006, 06:51 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt
Morris is expected back sometime this month. With Nagy out for the rest of the season, the chances of the Coyotes making the playoffs are slim to none. Morris has failed to impress me in his time with Phoenix. He will be an unrestricted free agent at season's end, and I'd like to see him traded to a team that might be a better fit. Does anyone feel that their team could use Derek Morris for a playoff run? After all, he is still a very talented defenseman. What would you consider a fair trade?

Depending on how healthy he is, he might be one of the guys the Preds are interested in. I figure at this point...mid level prospect or pick.

Old
02-04-2006, 06:58 PM
cyrisweb

Canucks have lost Jovo for at least 6 weeks. Maybe more. They will probably look into Morris.

Old
02-04-2006, 07:12 PM
pondnorth

RT you`re right about Morris`s year in Phoenix and if the yotes don`t trade him they will get nothing as he is ufa at the end of the season and is not tied to Phoenix.Barnett will move him as soon as he`s healthy,good call RT.

Old
02-04-2006, 07:14 PM
letowskie

Now the $64,000 questions is whether the Sharks will have a good chance at playoffs. If they do make it, they would be one of the dark horse teams that can do some major damage.

I think someone like Young will go a long way in terms of increasing their chances or making it there, being able to allow them to spread out scoring out more evenly, without taking too much of a hit in terms of assets or the cap; but Weinrich, I don't see him being able to contribute significantly to their D. Their D is pretty thin, and even thinner in terms of guys who can take major minutes and perform in all situations.

What they really need is someone of Morris, Ninnima, or Leetch's caliber; or if possible someone such as Kaberle to shore up their D big time; otherwise, it would be difficult to make it there; and once there, they would have a very hard time competing with the back ends of some of the teams that they would likely face.

Old
02-04-2006, 08:04 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrisweb
Canucks have lost Jovo for at least 6 weeks. Maybe more. They will probably look into Morris.
Phoenix has alot of veterens that could help in a playoff run. Many will most likely be available very soon. Phoenix and Vancouver seem as though they could be pretty good trading partners. One concern, though, is cap space. Is Vancouver terribly close to the cap? They do have a couple of young players that I really like personally, but I'm not sure if they would be available. Kesler, for instance, is a kid I'd like to see come our way, but he's probably endeared himself to Vancouverites in a big way, after his Iginla fight, and all. Would a package consisting of a few of Morris, Joseph, Sanderson, Ricci, and O'Donnell be enough to land Ryan Kesler and Mike Brown? Could Vancouver afford it?

Old
02-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Towelie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt
Phoenix has alot of veterens that could help in a playoff run. Many will most likely be available very soon. Phoenix and Vancouver seem as though they could be pretty good trading partners. One concern, though, is cap space. Is Vancouver terribly close to the cap? They do have a couple of young players that I really like personally, but I'm not sure if they would be available. Kesler, for instance, is a kid I'd like to see come our way, but he's probably endeared himself to Vancouverites in a big way, after his Iginla fight, and all. Would a package consisting of a few of Morris, Joseph, Sanderson, Ricci, and O'Donnell be enough to land Ryan Kesler and Mike Brown? Could Vancouver afford it?
Good post. I really don't think the Canucks would trade Kesler for an impending UFA. I think if we traded, which I doubt we would, it would be for someone with 2-3 years left on his contract - or a RFA. The Canucks could have up to 3 million free, but probably about 2 I would think. The reason for this is the injuries to, Jovo (X2 Stretches of 10 games out), Cooke (X2 Stretches probably of 10 games out), and Cloutier who will miss the rest of the season.

I think that the Canucks could pursue Morris for sure. How about a Second or Third Round pick, McCarthy, and a mid level prospect for Morris?

Old
02-04-2006, 08:19 PM
lennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb
Good post. I really don't think the Canucks would trade Kesler for an impending UFA. I think if we traded, which I doubt we would, it would be for someone with 2-3 years left on his contract - or a RFA. The Canucks could have up to 3 million free, but probably about 2 I would think. The reason for this is the injuries to, Jovo (X2 Stretches of 10 games out), Cooke (X2 Stretches probably of 10 games out), and Cloutier who will miss the rest of the season.

I think that the Canucks could pursue Morris for sure. How about a Second or Third Round pick, McCarthy, and a mid level prospect for Morris?
Can you expand that to include Joseph??

2nd, McCarthy & King for Morris & Joseph??

Old
02-04-2006, 08:20 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Buffalo has been interested in Morris in the past and could use an upgrade on their right side --- insurance for Lydman and a way to dial down Teppo's minutes to keep him fresh later in the season.

What is Phoenix in need of? Buffalo could offer a transitionaly goalie to play next year beside Leneveu and any of a number of picks.

02-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
Depending on how healthy he is, he might be one of the guys the Preds are interested in. I figure at this point...mid level prospect or pick.
How many more D's do you guys need in Smashville? Leave some to the other teams already.

Old
02-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
How many more D's do you guys need in Smashville? Leave some to the other teams already.
We need a two-way guy that fits into our system and can be, well, rough. Morris can do that...granted he hasn't been the same since his orbital bone was shattered in a fight a few years ago...but I still think he has what it takes to be a solid no. 2 if in the right situation.

02-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Tico

Actually, the Avs could use him.

Old
02-04-2006, 10:35 PM
lennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico
But you already had him once

Old
02-04-2006, 10:38 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

If Ozolinsh isn't coming back this season(doubtful, but possible), or we could get an offensive star for Salei, or even if Phoenix would want a d-man(not Nieds, Vish or Beachemin, though) in a deal, I'd be very interested in acquiring Morris. From a Phoenix perspective, what would you want back, and would there be a way to expand the deal to include Comrie?

Old
02-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Damien

Send a message via MSN to Damien
I really wouldn't mind having him back in Calgary. He was well liked here, one of the few 1st round picks from the 90's Flames that actually turned out to be good. We only have Warrener as a right handed shot from the point and well Rhett's sucks, I would like to have his shot back, he used to be great on the PP for us, I would love to see Morris and Phaneuf firing blasts on the powerplay from each's opposing point.

Old
02-04-2006, 11:13 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I really don't think the Canucks would trade Kesler for an impending UFA.
Fair enough. Although, who's to say that they could sign Morris up, long-term? He is a Western Canadian kid who probably wouldn't mind playing for a succesfull organization like the Canucks. I've heard many rumors that Jovo is as good as a Panther as soon as he's eligable. The Canucks could do well to think about a replacement now. Of course, you certainly know a hell of alot more about your team than I do.

Quote:
How about a Second or Third Round pick, McCarthy, and a mid level prospect for Morris?
I'm not terribly interested in McCarthy, personally, and I'm not really sure that he would be a sensable fit for us at this time. As far as a second or third rounder, it very well could be enough for Morris (I really don't know what his value truly is), but it sure wouldn't be very fun for us guys to discuss on a message board.

Last edited by rt: 02-05-2006 at 03:09 AM.
Old
02-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Amd

Buffalo should grab him. I would send Adam Dennis, Jiri Novotny and a 2nd rd pick for Morris and Matt Jones.

Old
02-04-2006, 11:31 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amd
Buffalo should grab him. I would send Adam Dennis, Jiri Novotny and a 2nd rd pick for Morris and Matt Jones.
If he wasn't worried about what it would do to Janet and the kids, Wayne Gretzky would have already wed Matt Jones on a little island somewhere. Management LOVES this kid, and he won't be going anywhere anytime soon. Especially not for Jiri Novotny and a 2nd round pick.

Old
02-05-2006, 12:05 AM
ginner classic

Depending on the extent of Jovo's injury, the Canucks would have to look into it. With Jovo we have more depth on the right than the left.

I think Morris is a guy the Canucks would look long and hard at if Jovo is not going to re-sign in Vancouver.

Old
02-05-2006, 12:26 AM
ducky

Personally, I see the Yotes trying to retain Morris (ie resign him) and go after one of the big UFA's this summer. My hope is Redden!

A top 6 of Redden, Morris, Mara, Michelek, Ballard, and Gauthier/Jones/Spiller looks very good.

Old
02-05-2006, 01:36 AM
Peter Griffin

Like other Canucks' posters have mentioned, Morris could be a possibility for the Canucks if Jovo is out for more than 6 weeks. I also think that CuJo will be a goaltender that Nonis will look at near the deadline, he's mentioned that he wants someone with playoff experience and CuJo has loads of that.

That said, I don't see the Canucks willing to trade a player such as Ryan Kesler or a prospect such as Luc Bourdon for UFA's to be. I also doubt they would deal their 1st rounder. With that said, what would 'Yotes' fans want for a package of CuJo and Morris?

Old
02-05-2006, 02:07 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky
Personally, I see the Yotes trying to retain Morris (ie resign him) and go after one of the big UFA's this summer. My hope is Redden!

A top 6 of Redden, Morris, Mara, Michelek, Ballard, and Gauthier/Jones/Spiller looks very good.
Oh, I'm all for signing Wade Redden! I'm not sure if Phoenix is an attractive enough destination, or if we could afford him, but that would be great. Morris, on the other hand, hasn't showed me much. I'm purely speaking for myself, here, but I get that old "all tools, no tool box" feeling from Morris. Have you been impressed by his play as a Coyote?

Last edited by rt: 02-05-2006 at 01:38 PM.
Old
02-05-2006, 02:09 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico
Yeah we'll trade Vaananen and a 2nd for him, but you have to throw in Ballard.

Old
02-05-2006, 02:28 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
Yeah we'll trade Vaananen and a 2nd for him, but you have to throw in Ballard.

No deal without Gratton!!!

Old
02-05-2006, 02:32 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
Would discussing the possibility of moving Upshall be pointless, in your opinion?

Closed Thread