HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

EDM/BUFF proposal!

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2006, 03:38 AM
Chayos

vCash: 500
EDM/BUFF proposal!

Well having been over this time and again. Here is my idea for a deal that helps both teams.

To EDM: Biron and Afinoganov

To Buff: Staois, pouliot and a 2nd

Buffalo gets a D-man and quality center prospect as well as the 2nd round pick.

Edmonton gets a number one goal tender that they need so bad and some scoring for the 2nd line to add to stoll and torres.

Oil fans will scream about the cost but this deal kills 2 birds with one stone for them. I am unsure how sabre fans will take this.

Old
03-02-2006, 05:36 AM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Pull out Afinogenov and Pouliot, and it's a totally fair deal, in my eyes -- and in the eyes of just about everyone on HFBoards, it seems.

If you really want Max, talk again in the postseason, and something can probably be done, but I can't see him leaving Buffalo this season, at least.

Old
03-02-2006, 05:41 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
I like it, but how about

To Buf: Tarnstrom, Pouliot, 2nd

To Edm: Biron, Afinogenov

Or

To Buf: Tarnstrom

To Edm: Noronen

Old
03-02-2006, 05:47 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins
I like it, but how about

Or

To Buf: Tarnstrom

To Edm: Noronen
No to Tarnstrom. Used to love Dicky T. on the Pens, but the Sabres have their own version of an offensive defenseman who struggles on D at times in Campbell.
Tarnstrom's also a UFA, Staios a RFA.

Trade value wise... Staios >>>>>>>>> Tarnstrom... At least to Buffalo.

Staios and a 3rd for Biron and everybody's happy.

Old
03-02-2006, 07:36 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins
I like it, but how about

Sigh...When will Oilers fans get the fact that it takes some serious assets to get a real no.1 goalie.

Old
03-02-2006, 08:21 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
Sigh...When will Oilers fans get the fact that it takes some serious assets to get a real no.1 goalie.
The Sabres are trading from a position of weakness, so it may not take as much as you'd think.

03-02-2006, 08:26 AM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
The Sabres are trading from a position of weakness, so it may not take as much as you'd think.
If they were willing to trade Biron for less than they want it would have happened by now. At it gets closer to the deadline and teams needing goaltending get deperate his price likely goes up.

Old
03-02-2006, 08:32 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote
If they were willing to trade Biron for less than they want it would have happened by now. At it gets closer to the deadline and teams needing goaltending get deperate his price likely goes up.
And once the deadline passes and Biron is still a member of Buffalo, his trade value falls.

Old
03-02-2006, 08:33 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Good point(s).

Old
03-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Position of weakness?

There are number of teams looking for upgrade in G or planning to get a great back-up goalie for the cup run.

Old
03-02-2006, 10:19 AM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Position of weakness?

There are number of teams looking for upgrade in G or planning to get a great back-up goalie for the cup run.
I don't think Buffalo is in any weakness because they are in a solid position in the standings, but not many teams would move "serious assets" for a backup goaltender.

Old
03-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick
I don't think Buffalo is in any weakness because they are in a solid position in the standings, but not many teams would move "serious assets" for a backup goaltender.
"backup goaltender" is a relative term, Biron would easily be Oilers no.1 goalie.

Old
03-02-2006, 10:30 AM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
"backup goaltender" is a relative term, Biron would easily be Oilers no.1 goalie.
But you said "There are number of teams looking for upgrade in G or planning to get a great back-up goalie for the cup run."

That implies other teams would be willing to give up more assets (than Staios and a second or thereabouts) than Edmonton for the right to have Biron as their backup.

Old
03-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Oilerdiehard

I would do the above presented deal. It really addresses 2 very pressing needs for us and you have to give up something to get something.

Old
03-02-2006, 10:49 AM
Slats432

Staois, Pouliot and a 2nd for Afino and Biron....If Afino isn't UFA, then sign me up.

Old
03-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Lanny MacDonald*

Quote:
How do you figure? How many teams need a goaltender out there right now? How many are available? Seems Buffalo is in the catbird seat from where I'm sitting. They have three guys they can play with and wait for the best deal for any of them. Waiting only hurts the Oilers, the Senators, the Canucks, etc. Buffalo is solidly in the playoff picture. The same cannot be said for Edmonton. Buffalo will not be doing anyone any favors.

Old
03-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bachul
Staois, Pouliot and a 2nd for Afino and Biron....If Afino isn't UFA, then sign me up.
He's not.

Just curious why Max's name is being thrown in for a very nice prospect in Pouliot and a slight bump in the draft pick position from the original deal that many followers of both teams (and non-followers of either) have as nearly equal value: Staios for Biron? What does it serve Buffalo to trade their highest scoring winger in this package? Pouliot is a nice prospect but if Buffalo is dealing Biron for help on D -- which has been a long-standing conversation.... WHY would they deal part of their roster for futures at the very same time? No. The logic there is flawed and kills the deal out of the gate.

03-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard
I would do the above presented deal. It really addresses 2 very pressing needs for us and you have to give up something to get something.
And it creates a whole in the Sabres lineup in dealing Afinogenov. Boil it back to Staios-Biron with whichever side throwing in a pick to balance as needed.

Old
03-02-2006, 11:26 AM
speeds

As an Oiler fan I wouldn't do it, for 2 reasons.

(1) I really like Pouliot

(2) I've never been a big Afinogenov fan.

And to add a 3rd:

(3) I don't think Biron is worth Staios and a 2nd.

Old
03-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
As an Oiler fan I wouldn't do it, for 2 reasons.

(1) I really like Pouliot

(2) I've never been a big Afinogenov fan.

And to add a 3rd:

(3) I don't think Biron is worth Staios and a 2nd.
Come on...it was a Jussi proposal, tasty like M&Ms and Mai-Tys....and if you read between the lines, I gave you three reasons why the Oilers should do the deal.

Old
03-02-2006, 11:43 AM
oiletsky

I think this horse has been beat to death long time ago... I think everyone on hfboards feels that this should happen but what is the hold up???

Unless KLo is considering Noronen? Personally I'd give him a shot...

Old
03-02-2006, 12:43 PM
chi777

Quote:
weakness? letting in 4 goals on 12 shots is weakness. edm needs a goalie alot more than buff needs to move one.

Old
03-02-2006, 03:43 PM
Chayos

The interesting thing about this is both side see the makings of a deal, so lets hope the gm's of both teams can make it happen. In adding Afinoganov to the deal i was trying to solve another problem that the oil have in the secondary scoring department, but Buff fans don't seem to like that part so pull out Pouliot and use him in another deal for a scorer like Parrish or Samsonov.

The Sabres and the oil have what the other team needs so it just a matter of coming to an agreement that both teams can live with and faxing this baby in.

Old
03-02-2006, 03:44 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iconoclast
How do you figure? How many teams need a goaltender out there right now? How many are available? Seems Buffalo is in the catbird seat from where I'm sitting. They have three guys they can play with and wait for the best deal for any of them. Waiting only hurts the Oilers, the Senators, the Canucks, etc. Buffalo is solidly in the playoff picture. The same cannot be said for Edmonton. Buffalo will not be doing anyone any favors.
I think your wrong about Vancouver and Ottawa.
I'm thinking only Edmonton is really looking for an no. 1 in net, Vancouver is doing great with Auld and they could use they limited cap space to get a defensemen or someone who can win faceoffs for them. Ottawa wants a vet to backup Hasek, and the chances Buffalo deals with them is laughable. If Buffalo wants to wait let them be stuck with all 3 goalies for the rest of the year.

Old
03-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Lanny MacDonald*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
I think your wrong about Vancouver and Ottawa.
I'm thinking only Edmonton is really looking for an no. 1 in net, Vancouver is doing great with Auld and they could use they limited cap space to get a defensemen or someone who can win faceoffs for them. Ottawa wants a vet to backup Hasek, and the chances Buffalo deals with them is laughable. If Buffalo wants to wait let them be stuck with all 3 goalies for the rest of the year.
Sounds to me like you're doing your best to talk yourself into believing that Edmonton is the only suitor for Buffalo. Sadly, it ain't so. Vancouver is looking for another goaltender as is Ottawa, no matter how much you protest that they are not. Teams that want to go deep are making sure they have guys that can fill in. Biron is a great backup in case their number one goes down.

Closed Thread