HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Isles may clean house despite earlier reports

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2006, 11:59 AM
phlacheesesteak

vCash: 500
How would the Islanders fans feel about dealing a roster player or two to a team in the saame division??

Old
03-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Darth Milbury

I'd deal impending UFAs within the divison (except to the Ranger$). Why not?

Old
03-02-2006, 12:01 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...orts-headlines

This is an interesting story, on some levels. A week ago, Alan Hahn gave an audio interview where he said that no firesale was coming, that only minor changes would be made at the deadline. However, here he seems to be acknowledging the probably reality: Isles are out of it, and have impending UFAs that must be moved.

The articles also mentions the Rick as one of the few that are not available. I'm guessing the others are Hunter, our various rookies and prospects, and Jason Blake. But, all this is just a guess.

It certainly makes sense for the Isles to sell off UFAs and get ready for the inevitable rebuild, but Hahn (Isles beat reporter) has been somewhat inconsistent in what he predicts will happen. Of course, he is a reporter and not Isles management....

Sopel-with some teams scrambling for defense,the isles won't have another chance to get rid of his $2.4m contract.

Parrish-is gonna bolt,so no sense keeping him.

Kvasha-move him and make room for one of the kids.

Zhitnik-got off to a good start,but his play's slipped.I question if anyone will take the last 3 yrs,$13.5m left on his deal.

Bates-a ufa this summer.If he isn't in their plans,move him.

Old
03-02-2006, 12:02 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfphillystyle
How would the Islanders fans feel about dealing a roster player or two to a team in the saame division??

Like Darth said,any team except the rangers.

Old
03-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice
But I gotta agree with Darth and say no way do the Isles move this character at the deadline unless its good value.

I made proposals for Parrish during the season and I would still like to see him in teal. I would assume UFA-to-be McCauley wouldn't be their cup o tea at this point so how bout something along the lines of Davison (need another Erskine clone?) and a 3rd?
Honestly, I don't see much of a deal between the Isles and Sharks. What the Isles would want, I doubt the Sharks will move.

Old
03-02-2006, 12:05 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:

I made proposals for Parrish during the season and I would still like to see him in teal. I would assume UFA-to-be McCauley wouldn't be their cup o tea at this point so how bout something along the lines of Davison (need another Erskine clone?) and a 3rd?

Ugh.Absolutely no interest in another 6/7 defensemen or the 3rd.

Old
03-02-2006, 12:09 PM
mercury

Quote:
2 2nds a 3rd and Potulny for Parrish, Zhitnik, and a late pick...lets say 5th???

I feel like howie mendel...

DEAL, OR NO DEAL...
TOO MUCH! Ryan Potulny is leading the NCAA in scoring, and is a Hobey Baker candidate. I doubt NYI moves Zhitnik, either.

Randy Jones/Ben Eager+2nd for Parrish. Add another prospect if we go after Lukowich or Sopel, too.

Old
03-02-2006, 12:15 PM
phlacheesesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
TOO MUCH! Ryan Potulny is leading the NCAA in scoring, and is a Hobey Baker candidate. I doubt NYI moves Zhitnik, either.

Randy Jones/Ben Eager+2nd for Parrish. Add another prospect if we go after Lukowich or Sopel, too.

eh, im thinking Zhitnik's value is kind of high..the only reason i chose to leave a prospect in the mix.. But i didnt realize Philly was that high on Potulny?..im more high on downie,..meh

Old
03-02-2006, 12:16 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
Like Darth said,any team except the rangers.
don't worry, the only Isle the NYR may have had an interest in would've been York and he most likely won't be dealt to it doesn't matter.

Old
03-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
Ugh.Absolutely no interest in another 6/7 defensemen or the 3rd.
I honestly would not be willing much more than that at this point. Being burned by the Boyes for Brown deal, I doubt Wilson would as well, if at all interested.

03-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
Honestly, I don't see much of a deal between the Isles and Sharks. What the Isles would want, I doubt the Sharks will move.
What that depends, what would you think the Isles would want from the Sharks for Parrish?

Old
03-02-2006, 12:23 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury

that is 2 much for parrsish. a 2 and lower level prospect or 5th rd pick at best IMO.

Old
03-02-2006, 12:29 PM
mercury

Quote:
eh, im thinking Zhitnik's value is kind of high..the only reason i chose to leave a prospect in the mix.. But i didnt realize Philly was that high on Potulny?..im more high on downie,..meh
I am high on Downie, too, although he will need to cut down on the extracurricular stuff if he is going to play for Hitchcock in Philadelphia. We are pretty sure what we are getting with him. Potulny, on the other hand, is more of a wild card. Lots of potential, but the question is: can he make the jump? I would not be surprised to see him lighting it up in the AHL next year. FWIW, hf has Potulny as Philly's 7th-ranked prospect, and Downie as the 11th. Slightly out-of-date list, though, as Meyer should definitely be higher than Jones, and Carter/Richards/Umberger will soon not count as prospects by their criteria, if they haven't graduated already.

EDIT: Potulny is the leading GOAL scorer in Division I NCAA.
Potulny = G 29, A 21, P 50 in 34 games.

In the OHL:
Downie = G 17, A 30, P 47, PIM 103 in 30 games.

Last edited by mercury: 03-02-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old
03-02-2006, 01:42 PM
Seph

Quote:
What that depends, what would you think the Isles would want from the Sharks for Parrish?
Hard to say what the Isles would/will do. But personally, the guys from SJ that I'd give Parrish up for are all well beyond his value, or are guys more necessary for SJ to hold onto. In general, I'd like to see the Isles acquire good prospects (SJ doesn't seem to have much in that middle ground area that would be fair value for Parrish and desireable to the Isles), young players that can play now, or top 4 defense.

Maybe, Hennessy and a 2nd?

Old
03-02-2006, 01:43 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:

A 2nd rounder and a mid-level prospect.

Old
03-02-2006, 01:44 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO
that is 2 much for parrsish. a 2 and lower level prospect or 5th rd pick at best IMO.
You MAY be right. That will depend on what other teams are offering. I hope there is more interest in him at the deadline, and think he MAY return more than that. But, I really can't say, to be honest.

Old
03-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Trottier
Very Random

"If we don't do well in these four games," interim coach Brad Shaw said of the games between now and the March 9 deadline, "you become a seller."

I'm happy this team is moving methodically and not rushing out to "MAKES TRADES!" before exhausting every possible means of making the playoffs. That is what the regular season is for - making the post-season, not a time to be planning your roster for 2010. A few NYI fans had quit on the team a month back, unfortunately. Good for Wang and Shaw to fight until the end.

Parrish and Sopel to Philly
for Umberger

Philly gets their depth dman, and Parrish, Isles get a lefty centerman/winger with size.

OR

Parrish and Sopel to San Jose
for
Marcel Goc

Isles get a speedy left center/winger; SJ adds depth to their backline (Sopel's game has picked up in recent weeks) and depth on the wing. This assumes that SJ is going for a playoff spot; having acquired Joe Thornton mid-season and being only 4 points out of a spot, one assumes they are.

Overpayment for one rental? Yes. But teams that are trying to do something in the playoffs typically have to overpay a bit, even for rentals, despite typical HF logic.

Old
03-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The Kings will be delighted to send Grebeshkov and a 3rd to Long Island for the return of Alexei Zhitnik.

Old
03-02-2006, 01:50 PM
Darth Milbury

I'm willing to bet that the EVIL ONE already has the trade offers sitting on his desk. He probably has various offers that includes picks and lessor prospects for the likes of Parrish, Kvasha, and Bates. He MAY also have a trade offer or two for Martinek, Sopel, or AZ. And, I'm also going to speculate that the Isles have already decided to accept several of those offers, but will not proceed until the last minute (to maintain the appearance of the team still being in contention).

Despite Hahn comments on that radio interview, I believe that Parrish, Kvasha, and Bates are as good as gone.

Old
03-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
The Kings will be delighted to send Grebeshkov and a 3rd to Long Island for the return of Alexei Zhitnik.
I'm not sure AZ is even available.

Old
03-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
I'm willing to bet that the EVIL ONE already has the trade offers sitting on his desk.
Oh I agree. Just glad they are not quitting on the team prematurely.

Quote:
Done. I'm not sold on Grbeshkov, but I am sold on opening up $3 mil per year in cap space over the next couple of seasons (by virtue of deleting Zhitnik's contract).

Old
03-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Seph

Quote:
You must've missed the part where we said you'd probably have to overpay for Zhitnik. Not underpay.

counter, Erskine and a 4th for Grebeshkov.

Old
03-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Quote:
A 2nd rounder and a mid-level prospect.
I was talking names specifically...I don't necessarily agree with Seph assessment that is no "middle ground" in terms of value. Guys like Torrey Mitchell and Joe Pavelski are unheralded on this board but are good prospects who could be of interest to the Isles. Mitchell is more of 3rd line center with good speed and offensive instincts, currently leading the University of Vermont team in scoring as a sophomore. Pavelski is somewhat similar to Parrish, skating is not so strong but he has very gifted hands. More of a playmaker than goalscorer though. He also is leading his team (UofWisconsin) in scoring as a sophomore. Both are centers but I think either one could make a move to wing. They also carry similar upside, I'd say between 2nd and 3rd line. Package one with a 2nd and I think something could be worked out.

Old
03-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Oh I agree. Just glad they are not quitting on the team prematurely.

Done. I'm not sold on Grbeshkov, but I am sold on opening up $3 mil per year in cap space over the next couple of seasons (by virtue of deleting Zhitnik's contract).
So, why is 3 million in cap space such a desirable commodity? I don't honestly think the Isles are going to be able to attract a better player with that money next season. Accordingly, I'd pass on that deal.

Old
03-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Seph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
I am sold on opening up $3 mil per year in cap space over the next couple of seasons (by virtue of deleting Zhitnik's contract).
I'm not. Of the longterm contracts on our team, Zhitnik's is the one I'm least interested in moving. I think he's signed for a fair price. I don't think this offseason we'll be able to sign a guy at his price that will be comparable in talent and play.

Closed Thread