HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interest in Jokinen fading...

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2006, 10:36 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

vCash: 500
Interest in Jokinen fading...

...for the opposition. Flyers not mentioned.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/panther...gane_0305.html

The more i see the name the more i like Recchi. Sure would shore up the penalty kill.

Old
03-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/panthers/content/sports/epaper/2006/03/05/a5b_biggane_0305.html

The more i see the name the more i like Recchi. Sure would shore up the penalty kill.
Mark Recchi would "shore up the penalty kill"? This is Mark Recchi we're talking about.

Just say no to Recchi. Re-treads are not going to help this team.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:42 PM
califlyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC

um Rex isn't a good penalty killer. When he was with us he wasn't even on the penalty kill. Do you mean power play? He could help us there.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:47 PM
califlyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC

We also can't get recchi anyway because we cut him at 2/3s of his salary prior to the season. It's a new rule of the new CBA.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:55 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by califlyersfan
We also can't get recchi anyway because we cut him at 2/3s of his salary prior to the season. It's a new rule of the new CBA.
What are you talking about? Recchi was never bought out. He wasn't resigned for a ridiculous $3 mill which he considered a gracious pay cut at the time.

Bye Recchi have fun padding the stats in Pitt.

Old
03-05-2006, 02:14 PM
TheKingPin

Haha i heard that he will be getting traded. 100%. And that the Flyers are very very busy and active and will make a big splash. That is according to Ecklund though lol.

I think we need a guy with the Magnitude of Jokinen to change this quicker than otherwise might be the case.

Old
03-05-2006, 02:54 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Mark Recchi would "shore up the penalty kill"? This is Mark Recchi we're talking about.

Just say no to Recchi. Re-treads are not going to help this team.
if nothing else, Rex would help with the leadership on this squad.

Old
03-05-2006, 03:03 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
wasn't he a UFA?

Old
03-05-2006, 04:56 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylez19
wasn't he a UFA?
yes. signed prior to the lockout.

Old
03-06-2006, 06:35 AM
Philly Flyer Fan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersphan
Haha i heard that he will be getting traded. 100%. And that the Flyers are very very busy and active and will make a big splash. That is according to Ecklund though lol.

I think we need a guy with the Magnitude of Jokinen to change this quicker than otherwise might be the case.

YES! I agree whole heartedly.........we need Jokinen!

Old
03-06-2006, 08:18 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
if nothing else, Rex would help with the leadership on this squad.
I doubt that. What did Recchi ever lead this team to when he was here? Retreads aren't the way to go, not on the ice, and certainly not in the lockerroom.

Old
03-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Jester

Quote:
I doubt that. What did Recchi ever lead this team to when he was here? Retreads aren't the way to go, not on the ice, and certainly not in the lockerroom.
He was a very good locker room guy while he was here. If we had any dmen left in the last season we may be talking about how he was a member of the last cup team here...

Old
03-06-2006, 08:50 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

I just hope clarke doesn't let the best player out there (whoever it is) go to Carolina now that cole is out

Old
03-06-2006, 09:02 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
He was a very good locker room guy while he was here.
According to his teammates (read: golfing buddies). Who never won anything here either. And his leadership in Pittsburgh has done wonders, they've given an "A" to an 18 year old because the veterans aren't doing it. Being good in the lockerroom is one of the reasons why Bundy is here.

Quote:
If we had any dmen left in the last season we may be talking about how he was a member of the last cup team here...
And I'd point out that he didn't do squat on the ice (he had 6 points in 18 games).

Old
03-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Jester

Quote:
According to his teammates (read: golfing buddies). Who never won anything here either. And his leadership in Pittsburgh has done wonders, they've given an "A" to an 18 year old because the veterans aren't doing it. Being good in the lockerroom is one of the reasons why Bundy is here.

And I'd point out that he didn't do squat on the ice (he had 6 points in 18 games).
erm... Recchi's played well in Pitt... they just signed a bunch of tools. did ANYONE here actually think Leclair was going to work out there? Gonchar has always been awful defensively, etc. they sold that teams soul to Crosby from day one, for better or worse... given our experience with a team taking that path with Lindros, i would be nervous if i was a Pitt fan.

Bundy is also one of Clarke's boys... Clarke is loyal to a fault, we know this.

Old
03-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
erm... Recchi's played well in Pitt... they just signed a bunch of tools. did ANYONE here actually think Leclair was going to work out there? Gonchar has always been awful defensively, etc. they sold that teams soul to Crosby from day one, for better or worse... given our experience with a team taking that path with Lindros, i would be nervous if i was a Pitt fan.

Bundy is also one of Clarke's boys... Clarke is loyal to a fault, we know this.
I didn't say Recchi hasn't played well. I said the fabled leadership that he brings must not be working too well if the coaches feel a rookie should be one of the leaders of the team.

This team needs to go in a new direction from years past. Brining back Mark Recchi doesn't do that.

Old
03-06-2006, 09:53 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
I didn't say Recchi hasn't played well. I said the fabled leadership that he brings must not be working too well if the coaches feel a rookie should be one of the leaders of the team.

This team needs to go in a new direction from years past. Brining back Mark Recchi doesn't do that.
Next year they can go in a different direction with Richards and Carter and Umbee assuming some leadership.

For THIS year, if Johnsson looks like he will return, they need to add some second line oomph and veteran leadership. I think Recchi at the right price makes sense.

If Johnsson ain't coming back, scrap it.

Old
03-06-2006, 09:58 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC
Next year they can go in a different direction with Richards and Carter and Umbee assuming some leadership.

For THIS year, if Johnsson looks like he will return, they need to add some second line oomph and veteran leadership. I think Recchi at the right price makes sense.

If Johnsson ain't coming back, scrap it.
the lack of any tangible news regarding Johnsson is very disconcerting. i was sure he'd be fine after the olympic break... bad sign.

Old
03-06-2006, 10:01 AM
califlyersfan

Johnsson is out for the year.

Old
03-06-2006, 10:02 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
the lack of any tangible news regarding Johnsson is very disconcerting. i was sure he'd be fine after the olympic break... bad sign.
One downside to the ban on clutching and grabbing -- you dump the puck and then have a fifty foot run at a defenseman. Not a good unintended consequence.

Old
03-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Jester

Quote:
Johnsson is out for the year.
source.

Old
03-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC
One downside to the ban on clutching and grabbing -- you dump the pouck and then have a fifty foot run at a defenseman. Not a good unintended consequence.
everyone knew it was going to happen though... it's why they were talking about making no-touch icing a rule.

Old
03-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC
This team was already put in a new direction when they hired Hitch. And it was heavily steered that way when they got rid of the flotsam and jetsam known as LeClair and Amonte. (On a side note, man did the Flyers luck out that Zhamnov and Malahkov didn't re-sign when Clarke gave them offers.) I can't emphasize how much I would loathe having retreads back on this team. It's bad enough Therien is here.

Old
03-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Overtime

Quote:

Crosby was given the A by a coach who didn't know his team. He hadn't even held a practice with them yet.

Recchi is the unofficial captain of that team.

Oh, and here's a quote from the coach:

While young players might draw incentive from the opportunity to play spoiler -- or simply the desire to make a positive impression on management --it's easy to see how older players might find it hard to get motivated for the final weeks of a lost season.

Coach Michel Therrien, though, praised the approach veterans such as Mark Recchi and John LeClair have been taking to their jobs.

"Am I concerned with Recchs?" he said. "Not at all. He competes so hard, and he's got a lot of pride in the way he plays. Johnny LeClair, the same thing. They made their name with their work ethic, their commitment.

"They have an important role on our team, to show what it is to be a professional, and how to get prepared. We have a lot of young kids, and they're watching those guys, learning from those guys."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06065/665815.stm

Sounds to me like the coach doesn't agree with your assessment.

Old
03-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtime
Crosby was given the A by a coach who didn't know his team. He hadn't even held a practice with them yet.
And yet he made the decision that an 18 year old should wear an A over a number of vets.

Quote:
Recchi is the unofficial captain of that team.
Good for them, I hope they're enjoying their stay at Club Pen.

Quote:
Sounds to me like the coach doesn't agree with your assessment.
For starters, you're assuming that Therien's idea of leadership is a good one. (And I freely admit that I--or any of us--don't know what's going on in the lockerroom, all we have to go off of is results, results that don't excite me one bit.) LeClair's leadership was invaluble during his time here, the Flyers will miss his inability to raise his game during the playoffs. But you go ahead and be satisfied with them.

Closed Thread