HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Official Cristobal Huet Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Chartrand

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso
Garon gets pulled again, and is falling fast. He might possibly lose his starting spot next year.
Garon has played well since the Olympic break. The Kings defense is just horrid and their penalty killing has been poor.

I don't think Garon is in danger of losing his starting spot next year, partly because he hasn't played nearly as bad as his numbers indicate, and partly because the Kings have nobody better to replace him with.

He's doing fine, but Huet is

Old
03-11-2006, 10:50 PM
KOVALEV10*

LAST 20 GAMES:
1.94 GAA
.936 SAVE PERCENTAGE
5 SHUTOUTS

Old
03-11-2006, 11:09 PM
Artyukhin*

Huet leads Canadiens to seventh in East

Canadian Press

3/11/2006 10:31:17 PM

MONTREAL (CP) - Another game, another shutout for Cristobal Huet.

Huet stopped 26 shots to earn his second straight shutout as the Montreal Canadiens moved into seventh in the Eastern Conference standings with a 1-0 win over the New York Rangers on Saturday night.

Montreal defenceman Craig Rivet's power-play goal in the first period was all the offence Huet would need.

"He's a pretty special guy because it just seems like he doesn't have any pressure," said Rivet. "Sometimes you have to ask yourself if he really realizes what's going on.

"It just seems like he's very calm, cool, and collected. I think that kind of gives off that aura to the players to just calm down, play well and don't try to do too much."

When Bob Gainey, Montreal's head coach and GM, acquired David Aebischer from the Colorado Avalanche for Jose Theodore on Wednesday, he said he would use a platoon system in goal. Despite Huet's incredible play, Gainey is sticking to his original plan.

"I'm not going to change my mind 24 hours later," Gainey said. "David Aebischer will play one of the games this week, so if's it's not Monday it will be Thursday."

The Canadiens (31-23-0-9) have lost just once in regulation time in their last 12 games and earned 19 of a possible 24 points over that stretch.

With Tampa Bay losing 5-1 in Toronto, Montreal moved into seventh in the East, one point ahead of the Lightning. The Canadiens can further distance themselves with a home win over Tampa Bay on Monday night.

New Jersey's 6-3 loss in Pittsburgh means Montreal is only three points behind the Devils for sixth while holding a five-point advantage over the ninth-place Atlanta Thrashers.

"When you can see you're closing space on the team in front of you and you can piece together the puzzle, there's really motivation there," Gainey said. "The players have latched on to that, and our team is playing really solid.

"They look and act and feel like a team."

Huet was outstanding in earning his fifth shutout in 12 starts. He has not allowed a goal in 131 minutes 19 seconds and has a sparkling .943 save percentage since taking over as the starter 13 games ago.

"He's just been the backbone of this team," Rivet said. "He's making real big saves at key times in the game."

Canadiens defenceman Andrei Markov left after the second with back spasms and will be re-evaluated Sunday.

The game began after a 40-minute ceremony to retire the No. 5 of Bernard (Boom Boom) Geoffrion, who died Saturday morning in Atlanta of stomach cancer. He was 75.

"It was very emotional," Huet said. "Sometimes it's a bit tough on the body to stand for 40 minutes.

"But I think it was a great night for the family, and we certainly wanted to play well for them."

Montreal opened the scoring on the power play at 17:15 of the first. Rivet took a pass from Alex Kovalev at the point and fired a shot past a screened Lundqvist for his sixth of the year.

The Canadiens protected the lead through the second as Huet stopped nine shots, but consecutive penalties to Steve Begin at 19:41 and Radek Bonk at the 20-minute mark gave the Rangers a two-man advantage to start the third.

The Rangers, who entered the game as the fifth-best road power play team in the league, fired five shots at Huet during the two-man advantage.

Huet stopped two shots from Jaromir Jagr in the high slot and made three outstanding stops on Petr Sykora.

"We took the time (over the second intermission) to know what they were going to do and what we want to do," Huet said. "Of course, we knew that Jagr's going to try to shoot the puck, and we knew they would try to make those plays across the box."

Huet was also a bit lucky just after the midway point of the third when Michael Nylander beat him cleanly on a deke but put his backhand shot off the post.

NOTES: Canadiens defenceman Todd Simpson, acquired at the trade deadline from the Chicago Blackhawks, was a healthy scratch. He joined defenceman Mark Streit, and wingers Aaron Downey and Garth Murray in the press box . . . Rangers defenceman Marek Malik missed his third straight game with a sprained shoulder . . . Canadiens winger Michael Ryder, who entered the game with one goal in his last nine games, was demoted to the fourth line with Bonk and Begin.

Old
03-11-2006, 11:13 PM
Artyukhin*

id start huet monday .....yes i said abby but you gotta give huet the next one ... so

huet starts monday
abby on thursday
both goalies will be well rested

win win

Old
03-11-2006, 11:13 PM
habs-stars2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie
Huet leads Canadiens to seventh in East

Canadian Press

3/11/2006 10:31:17 PM

MONTREAL (CP) -
When Bob Gainey, Montreal's head coach and GM, acquired David Aebischer from the Colorado Avalanche for Jose Theodore on Wednesday, he said he would use a platoon system in goal. Despite Huet's incredible play, Gainey is sticking to his original plan.

"I'm not going to change my mind 24 hours later," Gainey said. "David Aebischer will play one of the games this week, so if's it's not Monday it will be Thursday."

lets see wat gainey says when huet shuts out tampa

Old
03-11-2006, 11:15 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
im suprised that aebischers is going to play this week coming. this is a pretty loose week schedule wise. games monday thursday and saturday.the next week is a little tighter, monday, tuesday, thursday and saturday. aebischer should all but sure play a game then too.

Old
03-11-2006, 11:18 PM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917
im suprised that aebischers is going to play this week coming. this is a pretty loose week schedule wise. games monday thursday and saturday.the next week is a little tighter, monday, tuesday, thursday and saturday. aebischer should all but sure play a game then too.
Yeah next week there's games monday tuesday thursday, saturday AND sunday!

Old
03-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:

bob has to get abby in there at home the fans need to see theo's replacment and what he can do" its closure " .

what a good feeling bob has to have knowing both goalies are as hot as ##LL and he has another goalie Halak in the ahl who has 3 shutouts in his first 7 games in the ahl ..lolololol

id stick ABBY in there against carolina and really put the heat on him why not it's what we got him for

Old
03-12-2006, 03:31 PM
wildone26*

Actually I think Montreal would have been happy getting almost nothing in the trade, the fact they got a potential #1 goalie if Huet does not pan out is just bonus. The main thing was just finding a sucker to get rid of Theo and his massive contract while he was underperforming and you simply could not put him in net even though he may become a great goalie again someday, you cant afford to play him or pay him now.

Old
03-12-2006, 03:52 PM
HabsBaby18*

Who is Mathieu Garon ??

Old
03-12-2006, 03:58 PM
HabsBaby18*

If Huet really continue to prove himself and without a doubt we can see that he can be a real #1 it will be interesting to see this summer if we can trade Aebischer for sumthing better

Old
03-12-2006, 04:30 PM
oli500

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsBaby18
Who is Mathieu Garon ??
Its funny how theres no more garon thread since huet has been playing so well. Just goes to show you how some fans are naive. Everyone is trashing bob for trading garon and 3 monts later people are forgeting who the guy is.

Old
03-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Artyukhin*

maybe email the owner of the site and ask for him to add some montreal graphics to his front page of his site like christo's ghost mask .

otherwise nice site that has follwed huet from manchester to montreal

http://www.cristobalhuet.com/

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 03-12-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old
03-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Artyukhin*

http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/re...ewsItemID=4870

Rivet believes that the source of that swagger can be traced directly to the Canadiens’ crease.

“Huey has just been outstanding and the confidence he’s playing with is oozing into the rest of the team,” explained Rivet. “We go into every game knowing that he’ll come up with the big saves.”

Despite appropriately picking up his fifth shutout of the season on the night Geoffrion’s No.5 was raised to the rafters, Huet made it clear that he doesn’t want any part of a goaltending controversy.

“Abby is a great goalie and a competitor too,” said Huet after stopping all 26 shots he faced on his way to registering his third shutout over his last six starts. “Right now, I played this game but I know that I’m going to have to earn my job. And besides, I’m sure he’s going to be ready to play and that can only be good news for the team.”

Old
03-13-2006, 01:14 AM
Riposte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonaut
I wander if on the LA forum they ever talk about how they never should of trade Huet, like we always do here about players that are gone?
He played great, for the most part, while he was here in LA.

Garon has also played outstanding. I've never seen a goalie move side to side so fast while doing the splits, and Garon does it pretty much almost every game.

The trade worked out for both teams spectacularly.

Old
03-13-2006, 07:48 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie
http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/re...ewsItemID=4870

Rivet believes that the source of that swagger can be traced directly to the Canadiens’ crease.

“Huey has just been outstanding and the confidence he’s playing with is oozing into the rest of the team,” explained Rivet. “We go into every game knowing that he’ll come up with the big saves.”

Despite appropriately picking up his fifth shutout of the season on the night Geoffrion’s No.5 was raised to the rafters, Huet made it clear that he doesn’t want any part of a goaltending controversy.

“Abby is a great goalie and a competitor too,” said Huet after stopping all 26 shots he faced on his way to registering his third shutout over his last six starts. “Right now, I played this game but I know that I’m going to have to earn my job. And besides, I’m sure he’s going to be ready to play and that can only be good news for the team.”
I like the fact that Huet seems down to earth, and seems to be a big team guy...

Old
03-13-2006, 01:40 PM
jcrow

NHL

After winning the honor last week, Huet was also a runner-up this week for defensive player of the week award. Quite a run by Cristobal. Here's hoping he continues his fine play.

Go Habs Go

Old
03-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsBaby18
Who is Mathieu Garon ??
He's playing well and he's definately not a 10 games wonder like Labarbera was. He's a good goalie and will always be, liked him and had more confidence in him than Theo.....

But Huet is doing the job, he's a great goalie as well and even though I hated that trade in the past, that's what it is IN THE PAST. But don't even suggest that Huet was the reason why we traded Garon, Bonk was the center of it and even though we have a tremendous goalie we still a 2 million guy that, even though he's playing better, is not worth of what he's getting.

But because Huet is playing so well, it's a trade that went well for both teams and we should be happy about it, especially since LA is in the other conference....

But for me the minute we unload Bonk's salary next summer, if we can, the trade will even be better.

Old
03-14-2006, 10:02 AM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

Really nice pic from yesterday's game.

http://images.sportsline.com/u/getty...1_1024x768.jpg

Old
03-14-2006, 10:56 AM

One thing Huet's is going to have to work on with Melanson is his lateral quickness, i've noticed that from the 1st game he played, he's not very sound when going from post to post, he gets away from his technique...Huet's strength is his ability to always be in good position to make the stop, but he loses that edge when he moves from side to side...

Old
03-15-2006, 12:20 PM
NoKtUrN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
Provided Cristo wants to stay, I definitely think he should be retained. I see no reason to let a very competent netminder walk away.

I'm not sure how much he'd ask for. Obviously a pretty good raise, but hopefully Gainey won't break the bank for him over one amazing half-year.

Maybe $1.5 - $1.75M / year, on a 1 or 2 year deal?

I think a lot of the contract depends on Gainey's plan for Theodore. I do believe that trading Jose this Summer is a very realistic option.
With Theo gone and Huet continuing his good play, should we try and sign him right away and how much for how many years would you give him?

Old
03-24-2006, 01:24 AM
Artyukhin*

thanks hueyyy another solid game keep up the great work ...

go huet go

go habs go

Old
03-25-2006, 09:41 PM
Artyukhin*

another great game tonight . keep on mowing them down

huet

great win

nice asst on your pass to higgins catching the leafs on a bad line change

even ready to dropped your blocker and scrap ....
huet huet huet huet

hey mods ....

maybe someday we could get this thread sticky'ed ???

Old
03-25-2006, 09:44 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
could be Aebischer tommorow, Team990 say....scary to think of

Old
03-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
could be Aebischer tommorow, Team990 say....scary to think of

i really hope abby is keep on a real short leash. like 2 goals and you out kinda deal like of it gets to be (2-0 pens) real quick ..lolol

huet could use the rest i know .....

hopefully the habs can come out blazin and get abby a nice lead and take off some pressure ...

lets hope he can bring his game he played against carolina which was pretty good .

go habs go

Closed Thread