HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Defense Appreciation Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2006, 10:51 PM
GothamRanger

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Official Defense Appreciation Thread

Can we give some props to our Rangers defensemen? Since the beginning of the season it seems like everyone has been discounting our defensemen and their real value to this team.

People write-off the fact that we have the league's second best defense; that it's mostly due to our stellar goaltending and good backchecking from our fowards. While this is true, I think our defense is better than most people give them credit for.

People have the tendancy to kill one of our defenseman when they make a bonehead play and give up a goal, but thats the nature of the game: few forwards create offense; most goals are the result of defensive mistakes, and this team has made the 2nd fewest in the league.

Roszival deserves the 2nd best +/- in the league, he earned it.
Malik is not as slow as everyone thinks.
Kaspritis is not overpaid, as everyone (including myself) was crying this summer.
Strudwick provides leadership where is skill falls short.
Poti is an imtimidating presence on the point, whether he scores points or not.
Tyutin is progressive nicely as a defenseman rookie, and we should not expect so much from the kid.

So what if the 2 doesnt produce offense, it hasn't hurt us so far (knock on wood).

Can someone cheers me on this or am I alone?

Old
03-02-2006, 11:52 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakose
Can we give some props to our Rangers defensemen? Since the beginning of the season it seems like everyone has been discounting our defensemen and their real value to this team.

People write-off the fact that we have the league's second best defense; that it's mostly due to our stellar goaltending and good backchecking from our fowards. While this is true, I think our defense is better than most people give them credit for.

People have the tendancy to kill one of our defenseman when they make a bonehead play and give up a goal, but thats the nature of the game: few forwards create offense; most goals are the result of defensive mistakes, and this team has made the 2nd fewest in the league.

Kaspritis is not overpaid, as everyone (including myself) was crying this summer.
Tyutin is progressive nicely as a defenseman rookie, and we should not expect so much from the kid.

So what if the 2 doesnt produce offense, it hasn't hurt us so far (knock on wood).

Here here. The D has done an amazing job this season. I am truly surprised. At the same time, I extremely proud of how the guys work their ***** off each night. Renney for Adams!

Old
03-02-2006, 11:57 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Agreed, our defense has been rock solid, like it or not...sure some players have had a rough spot during the year (Toots to start the season, Poti around Oct-Nov, Rosv and Malik had a bad Dec) but they keep on ticking and for the most part..playing very solid D. But let us not forget to give the coaching staff some credit as well.

Point is, I'm really like our top 6 defenseman a lot..and if we dont bring in another solid dman for the playoff run...I won't shed any tears.

Old
03-03-2006, 12:06 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I have to agree. I'll gladly admit that I was really down on Poti and Rozsival earlier in the year and I wanted Kaspar bought out during the summer. Now that they're so far into the season, I see that I was wrong about Poti and Kasparaitis. And although I believe Rozsival has exceeded expectations, he still drives me nuts with his dumb penalties. And I can't help but think that his +/- has been seriously padded by the fact that he usually plays with Jagr's line. But hey, the Rangers need at least one right-handed shot back there.

Old
03-03-2006, 01:05 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Since I just spent about 45 min defending them on the main board. I might as well show my props here!

Nice job defense. You're smarter than the average competition.

Old
03-03-2006, 01:09 AM
Balej20*

Old
03-03-2006, 11:20 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Not that many people appreciate the D huh.

Old
03-03-2006, 11:25 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Great. The team's defensemen are so successful because they all do exactly what you need in the style of play this year. They move the puck, they move it quickly and generally they move it smartly. Who cares if you can't knock a guy out of the crease if the puck never gets to him?

Old
03-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Not that many people appreciate the D huh.
people don't want to post in here because that will somehow mean that Ryan Miller is better than Henrik Lundqvist

Old
03-03-2006, 11:41 AM
Melrose_Jr.

I've got to hand it to the coaching staff for making the defense what it is. Once everyone bought into the strategy, it's been rock solid.

Old
03-03-2006, 11:41 AM
Larry Melnyk

The defense has indeed done a fine job....yeah, they have been helped out by tremendous goaltending and solid TEAM defense, but every single one of the back line has done a whale of a job...I'm a little leery of it continuing in the POs but that does not take awy from how well they have played or what RENNEY has gotten out of his defensive squad....

Old
03-03-2006, 11:57 AM
True Blue

Renney gets the kudos for extracting every ounce of whatever it is that they can do. Actually Renney and the whole coaching staff. Having said that, and I already know that some people may actually get offended by this, I am very excited to see what a good defensive team this can be as soon as next year, when a few of the current defensemen get subtracted and better ones take their place.

Old
03-03-2006, 12:09 PM
bathgate

You gotta know that Renney has installed a great system when you see Jagr back check and steal the puck. Defense is team oriented.When Jagr buys in, the whole team better follow the leader

Old
03-03-2006, 12:10 PM
eco's bones

I have no problem with the efforts put forth by and the accomplishments by our group of d'men. However we do need one more for the playoffs who should be a better skater than Strudwick but more or less with the same personality. For the Rangers if they were to go all the way we're talking about another 45 games. That long a period without a serious injury to a blueliner is a lot to gamble on. We need another d-man. We need another d-man. We need another d-man.

Old
03-03-2006, 02:28 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

No! They don't look pretty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakose

They are not the big tough proto typical defensive core we need.
Who cares about 2nd in GAA. Fluke. Give us them big snarly type defenders. Who cares about results anyway? Right guys? Guys?

Old
03-03-2006, 02:45 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31-
people don't want to post in here because that will somehow mean that Ryan Miller is better than Henrik Lundqvist
Haha thats exactly why I didn't post.

Old
03-03-2006, 03:13 PM
stevevickers8

You r absolutely correct, any injury with 1 key def-man will hurt. We still need
that speedy d-man who is capable of playing good defense plus power play!!!!
Now, I am very proud of the Rangers defense, they have really played well. Thank u
to the writers who picked the NY RANGERS DEAD LAST. It has ignited everyone
from the players, coaches & GM... Wait a second, did I say GM???? As a die hard
Ranger fan, I only hope it can continue all thru the playoffs to bring the CUP back
to NEW YORK........Bring on the MOSCOW DYNAMOS......

Old
03-03-2006, 03:25 PM
pld459666

still not totally sold on the defence

because I believe that the forwards being more responsible and smarter in their own end plays a large role in how well we are doing as a team.

Additionally, the defence is helped by Lundqvist more than Lundqvist is helped by the defence.

Overall, I'd say that the Rangers Team Defence should be applauded.

Old
03-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Fletch

Not sure what you're talking about, Atlanta...

no winning team ever tried to improve I guess, so it's foolish that anyone suggest that upgrading a defenseman would make sense. The GAA has nothing to do with the rest of the team and everything to do with the defense, right, that's what you're implying, no?

The defense has done a stand-up job since the New Year. All have stepped up and have learned to play well positionally. As a group and individually they deserve a lot of credit. I just hope everybody stays healthy because that's been the key for the Rangers this season - no real, major injuries, both of which have helped this team's success immensely. Hopefully training camp and several players playing last season (albeit less than normal, which may've helped too) has something to do with it.

PLD - don't forget the forwards on offense - when Jagr's with the puck, and the other team's chasing him down, there isn't much to defend. People always thought it was more work when you had guys out there, but it appears to be less because he has the puck more often than not. I can't think of a better defense than great offense.

Old
03-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
no winning team ever tried to improve I guess, so it's foolish that anyone suggest that upgrading a defenseman would make sense. The GAA has nothing to do with the rest of the team and everything to do with the defense, right, that's what you're implying, no?

The defense has done a stand-up job since the New Year. All have stepped up and have learned to play well positionally. As a group and individually they deserve a lot of credit. I just hope everybody stays healthy because that's been the key for the Rangers this season - no real, major injuries, both of which have helped this team's success immensely. Hopefully training camp and several players playing last season (albeit less than normal, which may've helped too) has something to do with it.

PLD - don't forget the forwards on offense - when Jagr's with the puck, and the other team's chasing him down, there isn't much to defend. People always thought it was more work when you had guys out there, but it appears to be less because he has the puck more often than not. I can't think of a better defense than great offense.
I dont know about you but the whole Malik and Rozsvial playing with Jagrs line threory is now out the window.....

Kaspar and Tyutin have become there defenseman.

Funny the same people that killed rozsival (you know who you are) are now going to have to swallow there pride and actually praise him and the Rangers. Some people who have never been right about this team (again you know who you are) are now eating crow.

Closed Thread