HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

WSH / NYI offseason proposal

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Varius

vCash: 500
WSH / NYI offseason proposal

Ok, here it comes....I'm prob about to get blasted LOL

If WSH is unable to land a true #1 centre in the offseason, what do you think of:

WSH:
Alexei Yashin
Ryan Caldwell

NYI:
Future considerations

Honestly, we all know the Isles have just about zero chance to rid themselves of Alexei's long, exensive contract. I think it would definately take some kind of deal of yashin + mid-level prospect or pick to dump him.

In WSH's case, they'd be taking quite a wager. If Yashin finds chemistry with Ovechkin and starts having fun playing, it could be very dangerous to watch the Russian connection. If he doesn't, the Caps are then stuck with him. Caldwell seems like a nice hard-hitting, stay-at-home D prospect to add to their system.

Washington has the cap space especially if they will trade Witt for someone cheap/young or picks, added ot the fact the cap might go up next season.

Note though, I said only if the Caps are unable to land a #1 UFA centre.

Thoughts?

I'm a Ducks fans, so definately not biased to one team or another here.

Old
03-03-2006, 12:34 PM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
How long is Yashin signed for? Cause once Ovechkins rookie contract is up, im sure he'll be close to max contract...

Old
03-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Varius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLyT
How long is Yashin signed for? Cause once Ovechkins rookie contract is up, im sure he'll be close to max contract...
Not sure but it's long...I think another 4 years maybe.

Old
03-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Washington's issue is not cap space, I'm afraid, but the team's budget. That budget is due to increase from what is today a $23 million payroll for 2005-06, but will it increase enough to absorb Yashin's salary, and the term attached to that salary, while they also move to improve the rest of the team?

No one aside from Ted Leonsis can answer that question, but the odds are that the answer is no, regardless of how much or how little the Islanders would seek in trade.

Old
03-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varius
Not sure but it's long...I think another 4 years maybe.
Yashin is signed for five more years.

The Caps would never eat the worst contract in NHL history.

Old
03-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

...particularly as they are still on the hook for another $13M or so (total) remaining on the second worst contract, after this season.

And that's for a player who no longer plays for them.

Who is about to win the Hart.

Old
03-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Jasper17

Why didn't the Islanders buy his contract out before this year started? wasn't that an option?

Old
03-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
I think the Caps learned their lesson with Jagr. I see no reason they'd be foolish enough to make the same mistake twice. Especially when it would be an even bigger mistake.

Old
03-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Seph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17
Why didn't the Islanders buy his contract out before this year started? wasn't that an option?
Because 28 million dollars is a lot of money to spend just to buy cap space.

Old
03-03-2006, 02:09 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varius
Ok, here it comes....I'm prob about to get blasted LOL

If WSH is unable to land a true #1 centre in the offseason, what do you think of:

WSH:
Alexei Yashin
Ryan Caldwell

NYI:
Future considerations

Honestly, we all know the Isles have just about zero chance to rid themselves of Alexei's long, exensive contract. I think it would definately take some kind of deal of yashin + mid-level prospect or pick to dump him.

In WSH's case, they'd be taking quite a wager. If Yashin finds chemistry with Ovechkin and starts having fun playing, it could be very dangerous to watch the Russian connection. If he doesn't, the Caps are then stuck with him. Caldwell seems like a nice hard-hitting, stay-at-home D prospect to add to their system.

Washington has the cap space especially if they will trade Witt for someone cheap/young or picks, added ot the fact the cap might go up next season.

Note though, I said only if the Caps are unable to land a #1 UFA centre.

Thoughts?

I'm a Ducks fans, so definately not biased to one team or another here.
Isles would love to wiggle out of Yashin's deal,but I don't see another team taking his contract.There will be ufa centers the Caps can sign for less then the $7.6m Yashin makes.

and before someone jumps in with another fantasy proposal:Yashin+multiple nyi #1 picks to Washington for future considerations.. Wang's on a hold onto the young talent kick,has been since the 2004 trade deadline.

He's not tossing away the future to be rid of Yashin,who he personally likes and calls a gentleman.The Isles would instead surround Yashin with their cheap youngsters over the remaining 5 yrs of his contract.

Old
03-03-2006, 02:11 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17

NY media says buying him out last summer,would have cost a lump sum payment of $27m.

The isles will have a 2nd chance to buyout Yashin this summer,but they can space out the $20m payments over 10 yrs.$2m a yr.

Old
03-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury

Darth: sssshhhhhhhh!

...And fire up the fax, pronto!

Old
03-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

It's kind of amusing, and not meant to belittle anyone, but fans from around the league have been coming out of the woodwork to try and find a linemate for Ovechkin. Any comments proffered as to the team's probable budget, or the suggested player's max salary under said $25M bdget, or the lengthy term, or the team's planned path towards eventual contention through drafted talent... and you get the InterWebs equivalent of the blank stare.

For a lot of people... it's just about Ovechkin's point totals. It's not the worst thing in the world for Ovechkin as an individual to attract fans, I suppose, but many such proposals seem to have little to do with wanting the team to win, and more to do with padding one player's stats.

Now I wouldn't mind the addition of a scoring center at all. I would be the first to embrace the signing of an Olli Jokinen to the $6M salary he's seeking, for example... but of course, it's not my money, and to consider it probable is to ignore the strong likelihood that a team struggling at the gate isn't going to flirt with the cap any time soon. Teams that won't spend to the cap don't bring in max players (or near enough), because it throws the whole payroll balance out of whack. For the moment, Ovechkin isn't going to be playing with world beaters.

Old
03-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Christ

Doubt that the Caps would be interested in taking on Yashin's contract...sorry Isles fans, I think you are stuck with him for the long haul.

Old
03-03-2006, 03:35 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ
Doubt that the Caps would be interested in taking on Yashin's contract...sorry Isles fans, I think you are stuck with him for the long haul.

Varius points out in the orginal post,that he's a Ducks fan.

Very few nyi posters are proposing Yashin trades.We realize he'll either be bought out this summer or kept for the next 5 yrs.

Old
03-03-2006, 04:04 PM
Islanders4Life*

How about you take away Caldwell and replace future considerations with a bag of pucks and I would do it

Actually I really think Washington would be a place yashin might do well(or at least the best yashin can do) especially with Ovechkin who they said he had good chemistry with in the Olympics

Old
03-03-2006, 04:21 PM
Seph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders4Life
How about you take away Caldwell and replace future considerations with a bag of pucks and I would do it

Actually I really think Washington would be a place yashin might do well(or at least the best yashin can do) especially with Ovechkin who they said he had good chemistry with in the Olympics
Severe overpayment.

One puck should be plenty. I'd even take a really stale bagel or english muffin.

Old
03-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
Varius points out in the orginal post,that he's a Ducks fan.

Very few nyi posters are proposing Yashin trades.We realize he'll either be bought out this summer or kept for the next 5 yrs.
The statement that you point out was not directed at Varius, if it was I would have quoted him. That comment was a directed towards Isles fans in general. Nothing bad meant by it though, us Leaf fans were saddled down by huge contracts to Belfour and Sundin this season which limited our spending and trade options under the salary cap...I feel your pain.

Old
03-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Varius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
NY media says buying him out last summer,would have cost a lump sum payment of $27m.

The isles will have a 2nd chance to buyout Yashin this summer,but they can space out the $20m payments over 10 yrs.$2m a yr.
Ah, I did not know they could have an option to pay out 2m a season. If I'm the isles and want the space to sign other UFAs, that would then be my best option I think.

As for why the Isles gave him such a deal, I'd think it's because they thought he would be awesome in the new NHL (atleast that's why I hope LOL) - and obviously that gamble didn't pay off.

Old
03-03-2006, 08:51 PM
borro

There was a forwrd for the Atlanta Hawks who got a huge contract Jon Koncak who became known as Jon Contract because he was so overpaid. I hereby dub Alexei Yashin Alexei Cashin!!! :]

Old
03-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Darth Milbury

Yashin has been derisively nicknamed "Cash-in" since his holdout days in Ottawa. So, you're a little behind the curve on that one, Borro.

If Wang really wants to step up to the plate, in terms of $, Isles should send Yashin to the ECHL for a few years. Yashin is then off our payroll, and has a choice of either playing in a scrub league or retiring.

Old
03-03-2006, 10:15 PM
borro

Quote:
Yashin has been derisively nicknamed "Cash-in" since his holdout days in Ottawa. So, you're a little behind the curve on that one, Borro.

If Wang really wants to step up to the plate, in terms of $, Isles should send Yashin to the ECHL for a few years. Yashin is then off our payroll, and has a choice of either playing in a scrub league or retiring.
What is he worth contract wise Darth? Would the Isles pick up the difference? Maybe $4M and pick upo the difference x5.

Old
03-04-2006, 06:18 PM
Varius

Quote:

Isn't he only off payroll if he's on a two-way deal? With a one way deal, far as I knew, even if he's sent down they still have to pay his salary?

Old
03-04-2006, 08:18 PM
Riddick

wouldnt yashin be HUGELY more attractive if he made half his current salary?? If he were sent to the minors and someone claimed him, that team would only pay 50% of his current salary for the remainder of the contract(isles pay 50% but whatever). Im not sure at all how it affects the cap issue, but maybe someone else could actually clear that up for me.

Old
03-04-2006, 08:35 PM
HockeyEh

Quote:

The Caps have had their own bad experience with long-term, high $ signings.

The Caps signed Jagr to a 7 year, $77M contract in 2001-02. They basically had to pay the Rangers to take him off their hands in 2003-04; the Caps' will be paying roughly 40% of Jagr's salary til his current contract expires.

Once burned, twice shy.

Closed Thread